NEW! Epcot News and Rumors... GIGANTAMUNDO updates, finally!

wannab@dis

Thanks for the update Grizz!

Well, I have to say that I agree with Kevin on this one. I just can't see the future of Epcot resting on Future world as it stands today. It's getting a little tired and even though I really like some of the pavilions, I'm not going to get upset if a few things are changed.

First, I'm really looking forward to the updates in The Land. I think it will bring new sparkle and renewed interest in a great pavilion. I think everything about the pavilion was meant to bring people to the ride so they could understand future farming and agriculture. Soarin' will do this and more. It will be a big hit and hopefully, they'll update the movie to be more in line with "The Land" in the near future. Sure, I'll miss some of the old props and the food area, but I'm looking forward to see the updates.

Second, Wonders of Life is a nice pavilion, but it's showing a little wear and tear. Cranium Command and Body Wars are fine, maybe make enough change to keep them fresh. But the rest of the pavilion needs work. Sure, they may have some decent numbers of people walking through the door, but more significant statistics are needed to support your premise.

1. Of those visitors, what is the average amount of time they spend there?
2. How many of the visitors are there only for a quick bite or to visit a restroom?
3. What kind of rating do normal visitors (as opposed to us Disney freaks!) give the pavilion?
4. How many would re-visit the pavilion on the same trip or the very next trip?

Everything here is my opinion and I hope nobody is offended by my view of these things. Keep the updates coming! No matter our standing on these topics, it's great to see information about the parks. :)

maelstrom

General Grizz said:
Don't cry. I have a feeling that Disney won't screw it up. Will we be happy? Who's to know, but I will let you know the design plans if I can find them.

I documented the entire pavilion, and I'll have it available to you in a tribute video.

*wipes your tears*

I will definately want the tribute video. I just got choked up again when I told my mom what they're doing to it. The redo could be *nice*, but it won't be The Land. It will be an entirely different pavilion. I always head straight for The Land when I enter Epcot. I can see I'm going to have to go to Guest Relations and sing "Listen to the Land" for a few hours to voice my protest.

If anyone is interested in a few The Land desktop wallpapers, let me know. They're of the balloons, fountain, and the general seating area (one highlights the Food Rocks entrance). I'll put them on my site if anyone is interested. They are photos I took last May.

TheDisneyGirl02

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Not the Sunshine Food Court! I loved that place!

What's going to happen to the Garden Grill? Maybe I missed reading that! (At work, so can't read every single post).

Thanks for the update!

TheDisneyGirl02

BwanaBob

I find it ridiculous that they would scrap the Fair.

WAY too many people eat there (choices vs. just burgers).

I find it hard to believe that the Mouse would reach over the dollar to pick up the dime.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
BwanaBob said:

you may have nailed it................... more choices means more money to organize and offer, i know that sounds cheap, but its easier to order and manage a burger barn that only offers burgers than to offer a full menu of sandwiches etc etc.

just a thought.

BwanaBob

jmaxwell007 said:
you may have nailed it................... more choices means more money to organize and offer, i know that sounds cheap, but its easier to order and manage a burger barn that only offers burgers than to offer a full menu of sandwiches etc etc.

just a thought.
Thats my stance, though!

I will bet (and check with Grizz for the numbers! :D ) that the Fair brings in more people than the Electric Umbrella. Problem is location... wouldn't keep the Fair open late because of where it is located (vs. E.U.)

BTW... the back of the Fair's restaurant facades are interconnected. In reality, you have just as many people working in the Fair as you do in the E.U. ... if you include janitorial and expeditors.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
bwanabob, your signature, is it refering to the 1000 images people put in thier personal collection so when i go to the "photo albums" on fridays and click on the past 7 days option to see new images, i get ohhhhhh about 4 pages of updated still shots of hurricane (fill in name here). :lol:

once again, just curious

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Hmmmmm... New attraction.... or... Retro Ballons?

Im gonna go with the new attraction. Sure.. the ballons are pretty and colorful, and I remember looking at them when I was 10 years old. But if they have to go... so be it. Will I miss them... sure. Will I like this new multi-million dollar attraction?... probally, You Bet!

The land needs some re-tooling anyway... I see folks wandering all about all the time in there... wondering "how to get downstairs". The people traffic flow in there is quite bad.

tigsmom

BwanaBob said:

Thats what I like about it...there are four of us & we rarely agree on what to eat. This way everyone was happy.

I'm really not happy with all thats going on...... :(

General Grizz

Original Poster
TTATraveler said:
Any news on the Circle of Life Show?

From what I hear, Circle of Life will reopen with the rest of the pavilion. :)

wannab@dis said:
Second, Wonders of Life is a nice pavilion, but it's showing a little wear and tear. Cranium Command and Body Wars are fine, maybe make enough change to keep them fresh. But the rest of the pavilion needs work. Sure, they may have some decent numbers of people walking through the door, but more significant statistics are needed to support your premise.

No doubt you and Kevin Page have excellent points. I have always agreed that Wonders of Life should be modernized and given proper Disney treatment.

That being said, I am not against the pavilion going down for a rehab that would update all of the computers, potentially bring in a new thrill ride with the latest story and technology for thrill fans, even bring in new, original characters, and add new life to the pavilion.

HOWEVER, what I am upset at is Disney’s decision to close the Wonders of Life (when attendance is not the issue) without solving the true problem that exists. They are avoiding the situation and the expenses to change the pavilion for the betterment of Epcot’s guests (I mean, family pavilions with something for everyone is becoming rarer and rarer).

Thus, what aggravates me is Disney’s lack of concern to insist that these qualities be preserved and having the Wonders of Life be shut down with no rehab at all.

I stand side by side with those of you who want change, and I embrace progress in this situation. But right now it’s the “COURTESY” key to the kingdom that is slowly rusting up.

Bwana Bob said:

Well, by getting rid of the fair and bringing in Soarin’, there will be so many people still on the bottom level. I was at Epcot recently and asked “HOW can they fit more people in here?” The only way to do that is to scrap the Sunshine Season Food Fair.

TheDisneyGirl02 said:
What's going to happen to the Garden Grill?

No significant changes so far as I know.

speck76

General Grizz said:
HOWEVER, what I am upset at is Disney’s decision to close the Wonders of Life (when attendance is not the issue) without solving the true problem that exists. They are avoiding the situation and the expenses to change the pavilion for the betterment of Epcot’s guests (I mean, family pavilions with something for everyone is becoming rarer and rarer).

With Epcot recently opening MS, and soon to open Soarin', along with the TLS updates that have been done, or will be done, maybe there is no money to fix WoL right now.

Should attractions be judged on attendance alone, does the "most visited" attraction necessarily mean the "best" attraction?

Should Epcot not put their best product on display for the public to see, and if they can not currently present their best product, should they present it regardless of its condition?

BwanaBob

Grizz....
Devil's advocate...

Exactly HOW MUCH room do you need for a queue?

What in the world is all the space in the 'tunnel' between the actual entrance in 'The Land' and the ride building- going to be used for?

With as much room that Food Rocks had in holding power, I would guess that they could just slink back and fourth as they do for LWTL across the way.

I'll agree that the fountain will end up going and I could understand. Maintenance has had troubles with it for a while (or so I'm told).

I don't see anymore room there than I do for M:S, TT, or any of the other 'E-tix' at Epcot.

BwanaBob

jmaxwell007 said:
bwanabob, your signature, is it refering to the 1000 images people put in thier personal collection so when i go to the "photo albums" on fridays and click on the past 7 days option to see new images, i get ohhhhhh about 4 pages of updated still shots of hurricane (fill in name here). :lol:

once again, just curious
PM me.

I don't want to hurt anyone. :D

Nothing big.

netenyahoo

Thanks for the updates Grizz. I am glad SSE isn't getting changed except the ending (hopefully).

The Land... The first I walked in there in January of 2002 I thought the place was way outdated and seemed to be like Small World with the balloons. The place has grown on me and it is one of my favorite pavillions now, but it does need updating. It will be interesting to see what the new theming will be and how the traffic flow is going to change. Hopefully they will find a way to keep most of the Sunshine Court as I think that is a valuable asset to the pavillion and a favorite place for people to eat.

WOL... I agree with Grizz that Disney is runnign from the problem. The place just needs to be updated and maybe add a new ride. Maybe there isn't the cash right now as they are building Soarin', fixing up LS, etc. I think they should keep it seasonal for maybe a year or two and then refub it. It should be the next pavillion to get major work done on it.

With all the attention on Future World though, when is World Showcase going to get some help like some new rides?

KevinPage

BwanaBob said:
I find it hard to believe that the Mouse would reach over the dollar to pick up the dime.

But that is a good thing then, right? People complain that Disney does everything for the almighty dollar, so now they are doing something NOT for profit, but to improve the pavillion and allow better traffic flow. This is better for the guest.

It can't be both ways, Disney is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
KevinPage said:
But that is a good thing then, right? People complain that Disney does everything for the almighty dollar, so now they are doing something NOT for profit, but to improve the pavillion and allow better traffic flow. This is better for the guest.

Fewer food choices are better for the guest? I had no idea the variety of offerings they had down there, until I actually went there to eat. Now, we make it a point to eat there, simply because we can get something that's typically not offered up at the other 294 fast food restaurants. I could see condensing the area somehow, but not doing away with the concept of it totally.

wannab@dis

Grizz said:
No doubt you and Kevin Page have excellent points. I have always agreed that Wonders of Life should be modernized and given proper Disney treatment.

That being said, I am not against the pavilion going down for a rehab that would update all of the computers, potentially bring in a new thrill ride with the latest story and technology for thrill fans, even bring in new, original characters, and add new life to the pavilion.

Ahh... I see where you are coming from and agree with you on that. Unless a rehab is in process, there is no excuse for the pavilion to be "seasonal". I thought you were saying to keep it open and not implement any changes. Guess I needed another cup of coffee before I jumped in this morning. :)

Perfect spot for a general observation... I HATE SEASONAL OPERATIONS!!!

It really gets me they close down some attractions seasonally, especially since I usually go during the off-peak times. Hey, I'm a guest too and spent my hard earned money. I should get the same options as someone going during peak times. Now, I can understand if the attraction has REALLY low numbers and because of design, costs a lot to operate. There isn't many that would meet those criteria, but it seems we have several that are seasonal now.

General Grizz

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Ahh... I see where you are coming from and agree with you on that. Unless a rehab is in process, there is no excuse for the pavilion to be "seasonal". I thought you were saying to keep it open and not implement any changes. Guess I needed another cup of coffee before I jumped in this morning. :)

Perfect spot for a general observation... I HATE SEASONAL OPERATIONS!!!

It really gets me they close down some attractions seasonally, especially since I usually go during the off-peak times. Hey, I'm a guest too and spent my hard earned money. I should get the same options as someone going during peak times. Now, I can understand if the attraction has REALLY low numbers and because of design, costs a lot to operate. There isn't many that would meet those criteria, but it seems we have several that are seasonal now.
I'm glad you understand me. Most people see me the way you did, and I'm glad you got my lenses there. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom