NEW! Epcot News and Rumors... GIGANTAMUNDO updates, finally!

Tim G

General Grizz said:
You know, if I think Disney really cared about its guests, they would respond to the out-datedness of the pavilion (which happens to offer that which Test Track and MS don't - a family experience), they would invest in updating the pavilion instead of RUNNING it while being closed to guests. . .
Grizz!

Your thinking always has to be negative....

No matter what Disney does, it will never going to meet your standards...

You'll always will stay unsatisfied...
Your urge for nostalgia goes way too far... leave a park unchanged and you leave the parks without revenue...

My opinion only... no harsh feelings...

The harder Disney tries the harder your your dis-satifaction grows...
Your hatred against Eisner drove you nuts... And has turned you into a fanatic... that's not right Grizz...

Statement:
The best pilots are always on the ground and the grass is always greener on the other side... alas life is hard (for some of us)
End of statement...

dxwwf3

Corrus said:
Your urge for nostalgia goes way too far... leave a park unchanged and you leave the parks without revenue

I think the argument here is that if they want to close WoL, then do something with it. Don't let it sit there and collect dust. While I would personally hope that WoL (and alot of other things) would stay the same forever, I know that is not possible and it isn't the right thing to do. But when something is replaced, there needs to be an actual replacement set to come in. Don't just close something and leave it there :wave:

Spectroman2003

I would really love to know where people get there information. Spaceship earth will not be rehab till way after 2006 and after. I just think we need to wait until an official announcement from Disney before jumping to any conclusions.

darthdarrel

Corrus said:
Grizz!
The harder Disney tries the harder your your dis-satifaction grows...
Your hatred against Eisner drove you nuts... And has turned you into a fanatic... that's not right Grizz...

Can someone explain this one? When has Disney actually tried hard lately?
They came out with The alladin ride ...OOOOOO Another dumbo ride?
Mission space might be good, but alot of people can't ride it, Disney should come up with rides for everybody!
And Mt. Everest looks AWESOME, but again Not everybody can ride roller coasters, I know my brother can`t.

Tim G

dxwwf3 said:
I think the argument here is that if they want to close WoL, then do something with it. Don't let it sit there and collect dust. While I would personally hope that WoL (and alot of other things) would stay the same forever, I know that is not possible and it isn't the right thing to do. But when something is replaced, there needs to be an actual replacement set to come in. Don't just close something and leave it there :wave:
I could be of course, that IF they're closing it, it could be for the best...
If it should close (I don't care about what reason) Something else could bloom...:D

dxwwf3

Corrus said:
If it should close (I don't care about what reason) Something else could bloom...:D

But I think Grizz's main arguement (and mine too) is that we have our doubts about something "blooming" there anytime soon. I fear we would see just something decaying.

But if Disney was willing to step up to the plate and put their money into it, then I wouldn't be against the change that much (even though Body Wars is one of my top 5 favorite attractions).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Corrus said:

Do you think the pavilion could bloom again, given some rehab and updating? I personally think the reason for low attendence (if that is truly the case) is that it's tucked away in a corner of the park. Kind of like an old pair of shoes, forgotten in the corner of the closet.

SpenceMan01

If WoL opens for Christmas, will it stay open as they close the Land to refurb for Soarin? Anyone know? I'd like to get one last WoL experience during my trip in Jan.

Tim G

Shure..............

Gather a lynching Mob...

And Grizz as CEO... build everything he wants... (Stocks going down), build a worship temple for Roy Disney (Stocks going more down) and most of all build a time machine... and go back 60 years... and CDW will be bankrupt...

C'mon... Think!!!

darthdarrel

Corrus said:
Shure..............

Gather a lynching Mob...

And Grizz as CEO... build everything he wants... (Stocks going down), build a worship temple for Roy Disney (Stocks going more down) and most of all build a time machine... and go back 60 years... and CDW will be bankrupt...

C'mon... Think!!!
What is that supposed to mean, all I said Is as the song goes... What have you done for me lately? Disney has not made a "family" Oriented ride in god must be 10 years if not more. Thrill rides are fine and you need some, but if I want thrill rides I can go to Americas roller coast cedar point. Disney needs more rides like The haunted mansion, Pirates....ETC. Rides that everyone can go on. Corrus I hope you don't think I am flaming you, IT's just a simple question, you stated that Disney was working hard, I would just like to know what they have done in the past 10 years that is for the family. I have always said that Eisner was AWESOMe for Disney in the beginng, Eisner and Wells made an AWESOME team! They literally saved Disney from being taken over by malicious companies that wanted to buy Disney and then break it up, but ever since Wells died Eisner has lost his way and it is time for new leadership, hopefully someone with a creative mind, that will bring Disney to its former glory. I only said Roy Cause I think it would be AWESOME for a Disney to run Disney again, I do not worship the guy LOL!
So I hope you didn't take it as I was yelling at you or being sarcastic.
:D :wave:

RSoxNo1

Disney hasn't made a family oriented ride in 10 years? Well, let's see:
Magic Kingdom:
Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh
MGM:
Well, you got me there
Epcot:
I got nothing... but they did inexplicably manage to the get the wait of the land over 60 minutes with fast pass machines. That's gotta count for something
Animal Kingdom: Well this was opened within the last 10 years, so I suppose that shouldn't count.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Corrus said:
No matter what Disney does, it will never going to meet your standards...

Your urge for nostalgia goes way too far... leave a park unchanged and you leave the parks without revenue...

Don’t go so far to assume this. I see a difference in nostalgia and decreasing quality.

Take The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. This is an attraction that remains in spirit with the concept of Fantasyland and offers an entertaining experience for all guests who ride it. Yet, I don’t cry over Mr. Toad because I understand the success the Magic Kingdom has received through Pooh. Nostalgic over Toad? Sure, but I don’t have any wishes to see it back here as much as I liked it.

I am nostalgic, naturally, over the Diamond Horseshoe Revue, and here is where a line is drawn. I can be pessimistic and saying that its two replacements have been progressively worse. But I can’t be optimistic over a new Meet and Greet that replaced great talent, although I wouldn’t have left the Diamond Horseshoe unchanged, I realized early on that the polarizing Goofy show, and now a cheap “Meet Woody” area just wouldn’t cut it. This can also be seen in “Imagination.”

And this is where my distrust with management lies. When we get more “Class B’s” (Horseshoes) and less “Class A’s” (Illuminations and Wishes and PhilharMagic, and other works of art – and heart). To say Disney will never meet my standards just isn’t true. It’s the current management decisions that anger me (namely, the closure of Wonders of Life with no replacement in sight – yet it still operates as a convention center).

I have already expressed my desires to see Wonders of Life changed and progressed, but this cannot happen when the pavilion has no plans to open. And the management that makes decisions like this just doesn’t get my trust. . . and thus, I am resistant when they desire to change something great, for concern they will pull another “Class B.” There isn’t the honesty, and until that honesty is portrayed (and there are ways!), this is where I vote “no confidence.”

Corrus, I love ya, but at least consider I’m smarter than your average bear. :D

KevinPage

RSoxNo1 said:
Disney hasn't made a family oriented ride in 10 years? Well, let's see:
Magic Kingdom:
Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh
MGM:
Well, you got me there
Epcot:
I got nothing... but they did inexplicably manage to the get the wait of the land over 60 minutes with fast pass machines. That's gotta count for something
Animal Kingdom: Well this was opened within the last 10 years, so I suppose that shouldn't count.

AK does count is you make a statement about no family rides in 10 years.

Dang, I hate to agree otherwise with a Red Sox fan though :lol: :lol:

wannab@dis

Hey Grizz, I think others have a similar viewpoint that I had myself. They have missed the point behind some of your bigger posts. Maybe because they didn't read every line or they skimmed the highlights.

No matter how it happened, I really think you have been misunderstood about your stand on changes at the world. Maybe I'm still wrong here, but I think I see where you are coming from. You look at each situation and say "don't make it worse and build it great". Period. Everything can be summed up into that statement. If they are building a new attraction, do it right and let the imagineers build in the magic. If they are doing a rehab, do it right and don't take away the magic in the attraction by cutting corners. If they are replacing an older attraction, the new attraction should be better and the overall theme of the area around the attraction should not be impacted.

I don't think you are against change per se, but I do think you are against DEGRADATION due to change.

General Grizz

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Hey Grizz, I think others have a similar viewpoint that I had myself. They have missed the point behind some of your bigger posts. Maybe because they didn't read every line or they skimmed the highlights.

No matter how it happened, I really think you have been misunderstood about your stand on changes at the world. Maybe I'm still wrong here, but I think I see where you are coming from. You look at each situation and say "don't make it worse and build it great". Period. Everything can be summed up into that statement. If they are building a new attraction, do it right and let the imagineers build in the magic. If they are doing a rehab, do it right and don't take away the magic in the attraction by cutting corners. If they are replacing an older attraction, the new attraction should be better and the overall theme of the area around the attraction should not be impacted.

I don't think you are against change per se, but I do think you are against DEGRADATION due to change.
You, my friend, graduate from Grizzly College with HONORS!

KevinPage

wannab@dis said:
Hey Grizz, You look at each situation and say "don't make it worse and build it great". Period. Everything can be summed up into that statement. If they are building a new attraction, do it right and let the imagineers build in the magic. If they are doing a rehab, do it right and don't take away the magic in the attraction by cutting corners. If they are replacing an older attraction, the new attraction should be better and the overall theme of the area around the attraction should not be impacted.

I think EVERYONE here, whether they agree with Grizz or not, believes in this mantra. But some of the protest/outrage/concern has not been over this.

Case in point: Soarin'. Grizz's main beef is that 3 balloons, a water fountain and a food court are being removed. There is ZERO evidence that they are screwing up the pavillon. They are "retheming" the pavillion, and let's face it, that place needs it in the worst way. Things need to be removed for proper traffic flow. Would you rather stand in a congested, uncomfortable area with a water fountain OR have a nice leisurely relaxed area to walk through? Let's use common sense here. They closed Food Rocks to bring in a NEW E ticket ride, that is a hit with most people who have experienced it (myself included). Is this not a smart move by Disney or just some evil plan to annoy a few hundred internet maniacs? It will be more relaxing with more room for the huge crowds the ride will attract with less chairs/foutains/eateries on the ground floor. Unless someone has concrete evidence (and nobody has ever supplied any) about what exactly they are removing you can't complain.(actually you can complain but it holds no credibility)

And what's all this nonsense that a new ride should not impact the theme of the area surrounding it? :brick: Why not? If a NEW ride is worth retheming a pavillon or area of the park to, go right ahead. It's not like the current theme of The Land is the pinnacle of Imagineerig. Don't we want Disney to improve upon itself? Reenergizing a stale pavillion with a HUGELY successful ride doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. If the 1970's orange color and the hustle and bustle of the ground floor (the way it is now IMHO) is the price with have to pay, go right ahead. Would you rather they just add the ride and not spend the $$$ to tie the pavillion into it, causing it to be disjointed?

I agree with Grizz on the overuse of screen technology as opposed to AA's, a trend which I hope does not continue. It's nice to know that Stitch and Everest feature very advanced AA's, along with Lucky the Dino that will debut next year in AK. But I judge an attraction on its own merits, not based on how many AA's it uses. A quality attraction is a quality attraction though, no matter how low/high tech or how many AA's it uses. :D

wannab@dis

KevinPage said:
And what's all this nonsense that a new ride should not impact the theme of the area surrounding it? :brick: Why not? If a NEW ride is worth retheming a pavillon or area of the park to, go right ahead. It's not like the current theme of The Land is the pinnacle of Imagineerig. Don't we want Disney to improve upon itself? Reenergizing a stale pavillion with a HUGELY successful ride doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. If the 1970's orange color and the hustle and bustle of the ground floor (the way it is now IMHO) is the price with have to pay, go right ahead. Would you rather they just add the ride and not spend the $$$ to tie the pavillion into it, causing it to be disjointed?

I agree with Grizz on the overuse of screen technology as opposed to AA's, a trend which I hope does not continue. It's nice to know that Stitch and Everest feature very advanced AA's, along with Lucky the Dino that will debut next year in AK. But I judge an attraction on its own merits, not based on how many AA's it uses. A quality attraction is a quality attraction though, no matter how low/high tech or how many AA's it uses. :D
Ahh, but once again we have a communication error! :)

I don't have a problem with a re-theme if it fits, but I do have a problem with dropping something where it doesn't belong. Hmm... Alladin? :)

That's where I was going. I don't think we know enough about the change at the Land to know one way or the other at this point. I'm all about change, but only if it doesn't have a NEGATIVE impact. Of course, that could be argued also as to how we view the impact. Perfect example is DinoTroceousLand... :) Can't figure that one out and don't understand how the theme matches.

KevinPage

wannab@dis said:
Ahh, but once again we have a communication error! :)

I don't have a problem with a re-theme if it fits, but I do have a problem with dropping something where it doesn't belong. Hmm... Alladin? :)

Of course, that could be argued also as to how we view the impact. Perfect example is DinoTroceousLand... :) Can't figure that one out and don't understand how the theme matches.

Point taken. :) I don't really like the the Aladdin redo either, but it's effect on the area is far less than Soarin' will have on a WHOLE pavillon.

Chester and Hester's (I don't despise as much as others do) again is off the side in an unused area, so not as big of an effect as Soarin' will have.

Unless we have more examples of how a NEW ride changed the theme of a significant area of real estate in a BAD way, I don't see any cause for concern in regards to The Land. (in fact I'm happy about the change, give me something MORE & NEW to do in Epcot).

WoL is the same thing. I think it is waaaaaay too early to cry wolf about the status of the pavillon.

Lee

Adventurer
It's somewhat off topic, but I wanted to make everyone jealous....

Bloomberg reports today that over the next three years, Oriental Land Co. is going to spend 1.3 BILLION on improvements to their Tokyo parks. Yep, Billion...with a "B".

If we could get budgets like that over here......wouldn't be no stinkin' pavillions closed or outdated...for long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom