New entrance at DHS

maxairmike

They've been doing an awful lot of clearing and utility work just before the World Dr. ramp off of Osceola Pkwy. I've heard that this could be the site of another Hess per their agreements including sponsoring WWOS venues and events. However, I've been able to spot some markings and flags farther back in the foliage. This could be linked to electricity lines running to/from the services down to the right of the auto plaza.

Admiral01

Premium Member
The Disneyland tram route is just over 1/2 mile.

The route drawn my Martin would be about 1.3 miles.

For comparison at WDW, the tram route from the TTC to the farthest point on the western side of the lot is also just over 1/2 mile, and the farthest distance at AK is 0.4 miles.

-Rob
I always enjoy the ride from the parking structure to the main entrance. I am only ever out in SoCal for work, and get to the resort in the evening when not many people are arriving. It is so incredibly peaceful to take the tram ride to the main entrance and then leisurely walk to Temple of the Forbidden Eye, the better Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion. Then walk across the plaza and ride Soarin, do a lap and then grab some kettle corn from a Downtown Disney kiosk before I head back to my hotel in Santa Monica.

Anyway, it is a nice tram ride.

wdw71fan

The Victory way parcel can be developed on, regardless of conservation requirements.. Keep in mind that most of the 'conservation' land in Central florida that Disney owns isn't necessary directly connected to the WDW property as a whole..

As an example,there are many acres in both Lake and Orange counties that aren't connected to the main property.. Including several acres near Lake Apopka in Winter Garden / Apopka.

Ignohippo

But really, if they tore down LMA, Canyon, the backlot tram areas, and a couple support buildings....I believe they could fit something fairly substantial without having to move the creek or mitigate too much wet areas.

And let's not kid ourselves and think that any new land in DHS would be bigger than the space taken up by those attractions. We all know they don't "go big" in Orlando, unfortunately.

Yep. I was speaking about a Star Wars expansion going in the area from the World Drive entrance to the creek.

CarsLand has already been shown to fit perfectly (and the streets even match up!) in the area now taken up by LMA and the Backlot Tour tram loop. After seeing that, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that CarsLAnd has always been planned to go into DHS – it's only been a matter of when, not if.

The World Drive entrance probably only needs to close for the construction of the mountain range.

As for TDO not "going big", It's kinda looking like those days may be numbered. We may be entering a new golden era for WDW. The only thing that may hold it back, understandably, is the shear amount of things that need to be done. We have to be realistic in our expectations.

Tom

Beta Return
Yep. I was speaking about a Star Wars expansion going in the area from the World Drive entrance to the creek.

CarsLand has already been shown to fit perfectly (and the streets even match up!) in the area now taken up by LMA and the Backlot Tour tram loop. After seeing that, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that CarsLAnd has always been planned to go into DHS – it's only been a matter of when, not if.

The World Drive entrance probably only needs to close for the construction of the mountain range.

As for TDO not "going big", It's kinda looking like those days may be numbered. We may be entering a new golden era for WDW. The only thing that may hold it back, understandably, is the shear amount of things that need to be done. We have to be realistic in our expectations.

Oops - sorry :oops:

I hope you're right about everything you said. I won't hold my breath, but I'll make lots of wishes!

Ignohippo

The short version: The majority of the land within Reedy Creek is either swamp/wetland or forest. The wetlands have been classified into Class 1 and Class 2. There is a large swath of conservation land that extends about 500 feet along both sides of the actual Reedy Creek, plus some other areas that are deemed environmentally sensitive. That conservation land is the Wildlife Management/Conservation Area, and it pretty much goes up the center of the property, heading northwest at the north end of the property. The WMCA is currently completely off-limits to development via agreements between RCID and the state, U.S. Fish & Game and the SFWMD. It's automatically Class 1 wetlands. There are other spaces within the RCID that are also Class 1 wetlands, due to various other reasons: Essential habitat lands for endangered species, conservation easements called out by RCID outside the WMCA. Any Class 1 conservation area, with the exception of a few spots with long term permits, are 99% no go for any development. There's also Class 2 wetlands. Class 2 are buildable, with mitigation. DHS was built on partially buildable land, partially Class 2 wetlands, which is why Catastrophe Cyn wasn't a problem. There is a large swath of Class 1 that they would have to get RCID dispensation to build through surrounding the parking lot if the entry was to connect to Victory. I don't know the specific reason that plot is Class 1. Might be a nesting area, might be a lowland area, or may be an offshoot of the creek flowing through there, or some other reason. My thought is it's an easement.

The MK was built as part of the initial agreements for the property, so all that earth-moving was all done based on the initial planning of the parks while setting up the property. But when it comes down to it, if Disney wants to build somewhere, RCID/Disney will make it happen, it's just expensive, both in funds and land management.

Thanks for the outstanding explanation!

I would imagine the area near the creek would be conservation. That can be remedied by moving the creek (which I believe has already been done before at least once) and doing a swap of that protected land for other land on property that currently isn't protected (many times it's a 2:1 or 3:1 swap).

articos

Thanks for the outstanding explanation!

I would imagine the area near the creek would be conservation. That can be remedied by moving the creek (which I believe has already been done before at least once) and doing a swap of that protected land for other land on property that currently isn't protected (many times it's a 2:1 or 3:1 swap).
Welcome. Yep to all of the above. :)

jt04

This is very interesting because there is a precedent for what you are saying. Even though Mermaid began construction at DCA first, it appears the structure was specifically designed with the MK's old 20K plot as the template. It appears they did the same with Carsland and DHS. Of course that had to be years ago and long before Star Wars was anticipated to be a Disney property.

DocMcHulk

Just a clarification-

I posted this as a rumor. However, there is something happening with DHS parking. If the entrance doesn't go to Victory Way then they will figure something else out. Something is going down.
Why are they making changes?

hiptwinmama

If they are planning Carsland and Pixar Place expansion, the will have to add more parking. I agree, something is happening, but what we'll just have to wait and see. Just don't mess with my boat trip from BCV. :mad:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They've been doing an awful lot of clearing and utility work just before the World Dr. ramp off of Osceola Pkwy. I've heard that this could be the site of another Hess per their agreements including sponsoring WWOS venues and events. However, I've been able to spot some markings and flags farther back in the foliage. This could be linked to electricity lines running to/from the services down to the right of the auto plaza.
Wasn't that for a direct route from Westbound Osceola into the DHS toll plaza?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom