New entrance at DHS

Tom

Beta Return
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The bigger issue is what does that do for the project? In the case of DHS, the most effective use of the land across World Drive is actually to move certain aspects of back of house, then use the space from those buildings for the park. As far as moving World Drive, it's not something RCID/Disney wants to do unless absolutely necessary. You start to mess with the "feel" of that drive in to the property, which is a long straight-away laid out nearly perfectly in the early days. When you start to introduce odd feeling diversions in the road, it messes with the emotional chord that driving along World Drive was planned to give.

Not to mention it's one of two major arteries onto property. And being constructed using Interstate-like specifications, it would be a monumental task to jog or shift World Drive. It would be a year-long process, just like most interstate and highway work in your local city. Definitely not worth the minimal gain it could possibly result in.

articos

Not to mention it's one of two major arteries onto property. And being constructed using Interstate-like specifications, it would be a monumental task to jog or shift World Drive. It would be a year-long process, just like most interstate and highway work in your local city. Definitely not worth the minimal gain it could possibly result in.
Agreed, and exactly.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The bigger issue is what does that do for the project? In the case of DHS, the most effective use of the land across World Drive is actually to move certain aspects of back of house, then use the space from those buildings for the park. As far as moving World Drive, it's not something RCID/Disney wants to do unless absolutely necessary. You start to mess with the "feel" of that drive in to the property, which is a long straight-away laid out nearly perfectly in the early days. When you start to introduce odd feeling diversions in the road, it messes with the emotional chord that driving along World Drive was planned to give.
That drive was so special in building the anticipation years ago when I first went and there was nothing at WDW but the MK.

I still get the same feeling today even though so much has been built around that straightaway.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Making swampland not swampland is as easy as a comp plan/land use change and a meeting with some govt agencies.

From their own paperwork... It would seem the property they classified as class 1 would take a reasonable effort because its stuff they promised to external agencies.

herc

One of the more addicted users has long maintained that the space across world drive is where they'll expand the park, but it seems to me to be far more likely that they'd eliminate/reduce the parking lot & backstage areas and move those over world drive: building a flyover across world drive for parking lot trams & employee busses seems a lot more likely than some sort of guest walkway or having a satellite park reachable only by train or something.

I would say "great" if this was feasible. The entrance to the park is completely on the opposite end of a parking area across from World Dr.
Although, looking at google maps, if DHS was able to use the entire parking lot for park expansion, it would be really cool. It's just getting everyone over to the entrance, which would be a pain in the ...

ASilmser

I would say "great" if this was feasible. The entrance to the park is completely on the opposite end of a parking area across from World Dr.
Although, looking at google maps, if DHS was able to use the entire parking lot for park expansion, it would be really cool. It's just getting everyone over to the entrance, which would be a pain in the ...

They could create a new "old" abandoned elevated train line that is pretend-repurposed as a walkway/tramway over World Drive. It seems to be the thing to do nowadays.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
From their own paperwork... It would seem the property they classified as class 1 would take a reasonable effort because its stuff they promised to external agencies.
Since when do politicians keep their promises? Especially a promise that was made before they were even born!

cslafferty

I wonder if they would put in a walking path along the route so you could walk from Pop Century/Art of Animation. If there were a direct route, it would be comparable to the walk from Boardwalk/Yacht & Beach.

Yikes! I wonder what that would do to the price of POP or AOA, since one of the things that define the "deluxe" resorts is their close proximity (walking distance) from a park gate. I know the rooms are way smaller, and the ammenities are such that they could never be classified as "deluxe." But putting them within walking distance to DHS - and then a boatride to EPCOT, would make them a prime location.

doctornick

I think it's worth noting that if the access road is changed, that it provides a bunch of new potential space for DHS just by building on the current road. This eliminates the need to convert swampland and such I would think since the road is already paved and used. Since the road goes to so many lanes at the toll booth, it's very wide.

What does this mean? For starters, you could put backstage buildings in that space, allowing for current backstage areas to be converted to show space -- the parade building that has been talked about elsewhere (behind Backlot Express) could easily fit on just a portion of the current entrance road. Alternatively, you could use the current road area as part of an in park expansion -- you can add that space to the current LMA/Backlot Tour area for a larger Cars Land/Pixar Place expansion. Or you you add that space to the unused Premier (Hunchback) Theater to make it into an ride/larger attraction.

Off hand, I would be terrible surprised to see the backstage parade stuff moved to the area near where the toll booth is now and have parades go through Cars Land/Pixar Place and then down NY street to the current Echo Lake area where it would connect to the current parade route down Hollywood Blvd.

Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much, but with the parades closing, the surveys about Star Wars, the strong rumors about Cars Land/Pixar Place plus the entry road change, that it would all be related and they are going to do a big makeover which they are coordinating a bunch of aspects.

GrumpyFan

More fodder for the rumor.

J. Jeff Kober reported on his site, Disney at Work, the following rumor regarding changes that might be coming to DHS parking entrances.
1. Closure of World Drive Entrance. This is the most valuable real estate Disney’s Hollywood Studios is needing in order to expand the park. The entrance was considered important when people initially came to the Studios via World Drive off of 192 back in 1989. For that reason there are several toll booths there for parking. But there is little traffic here compared to the number of cars entering off of Buena Vista Drive. And the demand for that space which butts up against current sections of Lights! Motors! Action! and the whole New York Streets of America, and the Star Tours section is huge for the studio’s future growth. Hence, somewhere in the not-too-distant future, this entrance will close.
2. Closure of Buena Vista Drive to Disney Buses Only. This is the most popular entrance–so popular it is the one that is usually swamped with traffic. Unfortunately the original design of this entrance only had one toll booth operating off of both sides. Soon, guests will no longer be coming through here with their own cars. The only thing that will come through will be Disney buses dropping off guests. This is helpful in controlling the traffic problems at the intersection of Buena Vista Drive and Epcot Resorts Boulevard. It’s one of the most congested corners of Walt Disney World. That will soon end.
3. Brand New Disney Hollywood Studio Entrance Off Of Victory Way. You’re not familiar with Victory Way? That’s the street that goes from Buena Vista Drive down to Osceola Parkway and ESPN Sports Complex. That’s the same street you go down to turn onto Disney’s Pop Century and the new Disney’s Art of Animation Resort. Soon, this will be the main entrance for guests coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. My guess is that signage on 1-4 will be modified to recommend guests come via Osceola Parkway.

See the full article here: http://disneyatwork.com/2013/07/form-follows-parking-rumors-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

It all sounds interesting and necessary I think, if big plans are underway for a major overhaul of that park. If this holds true, it will be interesting to see how they re-configure Victory Way and the new entrance. It just seems a bit out of the way for the normal flow of traffic.

matt9112

Agreed...less not forget along with the big popular rumors....new rides cars,star wars ect for any of that to come full circle there needs to be smaller...less exciting things reworked...if any of rumored projects arrive the popularity of the park will skyrocket...dare I say eclipse Epcot? And this cannot happen happily without increasing overall flow into the park.

Not to rant or beat a dead horse (and yes I know that DHS was built to be a half day park) it was built in an atrocious location on prop. You can't argue anything less....

Tom

Beta Return
Agreed...less not forget along with the big popular rumors....new rides cars,star wars ect for any of that to come full circle there needs to be smaller...less exciting things reworked...if any of rumored projects arrive the popularity of the park will skyrocket...dare I say eclipse Epcot? And this cannot happen happily without increasing overall flow into the park.

Not to rant or beat a dead horse (and yes I know that DHS was built to be a half day park) it was built in an atrocious location on prop. You can't argue anything less....

I guess I don't follow how the location of DHS is bad. It has direct access off of both World Drive and Buena Vista Drive, and is fairly centrally located. It also has direct connection to Epcot via waterway and walkway.

Some people are playing Monday-morning Quarterback by saying the park is "land locked" and impossible to expand. Nothing is impossible. They've done it before and they could do it again.

asianway

I guess I don't follow how the location of DHS is bad. It has direct access off of both World Drive and Buena Vista Drive, and is fairly centrally located. It also has direct connection to Epcot via waterway and walkway.

Some people are playing Monday-morning Quarterback by saying the park is "land locked" and impossible to expand. Nothing is impossible. They've done it before and they could do it again.
Can't & won't are two different terms that the Internet fan base has a big issue distinguishing between

matt9112

So than according to that AK must be a horrific location.....I will admit the general area is neat however I still think it could have been done better.....and I hate the NFL and will never use terms ;) and of course anything is possible but it must be within reason to justify expense. They could easily go over the roadways with bridges...obviously DIsneyland has a small one...heck even six flags New England has a huge foot bridge over the highway to enter the park. But if they put the park somewhere else this all would not be a conversation.

SMS55

The whole "land conservation" is how you lower your tax bill. There are other areas Disney can designate "conservation areas" if they want to expand HS. It's similar to the whole idea of putting a cow on your property to have it declared farm land and lower your tax bill or that piece of land in the city that still grows fruits and is a U-pick field. It's about lowering taxes. If they want to expand they'll get it done. Disney has lawyers and lobbyists that will convince any government agency it's in their best interest.

Ar1w

Just found the website via screamscape.com. Sounds like a very detailed and legitimate tip...

Apparently DHS's entrance and parking will be significantly altered to make room for huge expansions. There have been electric, and plumbing installed in the expanded area, as well as a path to connect the new planned entrance to the park.

Read on:
1. Closure of World Drive Entrance.
This is the most valuable real estate Disney’s Hollywood Studios is needing in order to expand the park. The entrance was considered important when people initially came to the Studios via World Drive off of 192 back in 1989. For that reason there are several toll booths there for parking. But there is little traffic here compared to the number of cars entering off of Buena Vista Drive. And the demand for that space which butts up against current sections of Lights! Motors! Action! and the whole New York Streets of America, and the Star Tours section is huge for the studio’s future growth. Hence, somewhere in the not-too-distant future, this entrance will close.

2. Closure of Buena Vista Drive to Disney Buses Only. This is the most popular entrance–so popular it is the one that is usually swamped with traffic. Unfortunately the original design of this entrance only had one toll booth operating off of both sides. Soon, guests will no longer be coming through here with their own cars. The only thing that will come through will be Disney buses dropping off guests. This is helpful in controlling the traffic problems at the intersection of Buena Vista Drive and Epcot Resorts Boulevard. It’s one of the most congested corners of Walt Disney World. That will soon end.

3. Brand New Disney Hollywood Studio Entrance Off Of Victory Way. You’re not familiar with Victory Way? That’s the street that goes from Buena Vista Drive down to Osceola Parkway and ESPN Sports Complex. That’s the same street you go down to turn onto Disney’s Pop Century and the new Disney’s Art of Animation Resort. Soon, this will be the main entrance for guests coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. My guess is that signage on 1-4 will be modified to recommend guests come via Osceola Parkway.

On this satellite view you see Victory way on the right hand side of the screen. To accommodate a new flow of traffic, entrance to the park will be through this thoroughfare. Thanks to Google Satellite.

Relative to the latter, I’ve seen major electrical, sewer and other infrastructure-style services going on in this area. And when you look at the map, you see a pathway carved between Victory Way and the Studios lot, though I can’t say for certain that is where the road will go exactly. It is my guess, however, that they want to be able to spread the gates of the park itself and its backstage areas all the way out to the canal (that light green curve) that you see running south of the World Drive entrance.

Looks like they are studying how this park could be expanded upon for many years to come. My guess is that some intermediate attractions will come up quickly within the current boundaries of the park, while the parking lot is completely revised. Then they will begin on the bigger pieces of those additions that have already been rumored, like Cars Land and Star Wars. That plan of action is very similar to what seems to be happening at Disney Springs. Parking and revision of current facilities–like those on Pleasure Island–seem to be going into construction mode first, with the newer facilities being added later."

Link: http://disneyatwork.com/2013/07/form-follows-parking-rumors-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom