New DVC Resort Near CSR Planned?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm staying at SSR for the first time in October . . . why all the hate? I've never stayed there before, so I'm just curious as to why so many people seem to dislike it. Any comments? (I have no kids, am prepared for the lackluster theming, will be staying at Grandstand, and will have a car to avoid the buses. I think that covers it all.)

Well then the dislike probably doesn't apply to someone in your situation....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm staying at SSR for the first time in October . . . why all the hate? I've never stayed there before, so I'm just curious as to why so many people seem to dislike it. Any comments? (I have no kids, am prepared for the lackluster theming, will be staying at Grandstand, and will have a car to avoid the buses. I think that covers it all.)
I think the biggest legitimate con for SSR is its location. While it is close to DTD its location is not all that great in respect to the parks. The architecture of the resort is not in line with my tastes but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. IMHO there is just nothing all that unique about it but the same thing could be said for the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club, GF, etc. Bus service is on par with the rest of the resorts which currently ain't saying much unfortunately.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.

It's boring. It is really hard to get around the resort and it is eerily quiet there. However, it sounds like you are well prepared for your trip there so it might not bother you that much.

luvlifeinfl

the 1st time we stayed here we loved the luster of the resort, landscaping is beautiful. My hubby is not a golfer so that was not an attraction for him. One thing my husband did not like was when arriving at our building they do not have luggae carts available so unloading the van took mutiple trips. When we stayed at AK(b4 is became DVC) & BWV we had help with our luggage. Also depending on what location you stay in is how far from a bus depot you are from and the wait for the buses to the parks were long.

Our trip Nov. 2009 we stayed in the Grandstand location was ok. we had a smaller pool near our building, but the main pool we had to walk a littel to get to.

I mean it is not a bad resort, but for us it is not our fav. As I had said in my OP we really like BWV.

It's boring. It is really hard to get around the resort and it is eerily quiet there. However, it sounds like you are well prepared for your trip there so it might not bother you that much.

The quiet part is a positive. We're going to be at the parks all day, so we want to come back to peace, not more chaos. We also aren't pool people - we actually prefer the quiet pools. We loved the quiet pool at BCV.

Wow, I sound like a crochety old lady.

_Scar

I wonder if they would/could ever build a brand new hotel on existing monorail tracks? We need a hotel representing Fantasyland/Liberty Square!

disney-dan

My home resort is AKV and I will always stay there over SSR if I can. This year I can only get a weeks vacation and had to book it at the last minute so having to settle for SSR as everywhere else was fully booked.

DonaldDoleWhip

That's Main Street.
I think OnWithTheShow's point was that GF was built on existing monorail tracks, not that GF represents Fantasyland/Liberty Square.

But personally, I don't want more resorts on the monorail line. I like how the Seven Seas Lagoon skyline isn't full of development from every angle. Having the forests, beaches, and lagoon surrounding three hotels and Magic Kingdom adds to the picturesque atmosphere. Constructing new hotels would change that.

So I hope it's true that the next DVC is near Blizzard Beach, Coronado, and Hollywood Studios.

WDWFigment

We have 7 nights in August at the Treehouses and is the one and only time you will see me happy to drive through the gates of SSR.

I really don't think the world needs yet another DVC resort. They can barely keep the ones they have filled. Last August OKW was a ghost town even though the rest of Disney World was packed. Rooms at SSR, OKW, and sometimes BCV are offered up to cash paying guests using AP discounts.

BCV is consistently the most difficult DVC resort to book at 7 months, so I doubt the DVC rooms are going to the general public. Also, with regard to specials being offered at OKW and SSR, remember that Disney has an ownership interest in each of the DVC resorts, so even the "dedicated" DVC resorts aren't 100% DVC. I'm not suggesting OKW and SSR book up completely with DVC members (it's fairly obvious they don't), but lower occupancy at those resorts wouldn't be indicative of whether Disney is in a position to build more DVC (as others have pointed out).

To the other points made by a few others: we bought SSR, too, and don't plan on staying there if we can avoid it. It was the most cost effective option. Cheapest per point on the resale market, lower than average dues, and a later than average expiration date. What's not to love...besides the resort itself?!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
BCV is consistently the most difficult DVC resort to book at 7 months, so I doubt the DVC rooms are going to the general public. Also, with regard to specials being offered at OKW and SSR, remember that Disney has an ownership interest in each of the DVC resorts, so even the "dedicated" DVC resorts aren't 100% DVC. I'm not suggesting OKW and SSR book up completely with DVC members (it's fairly obvious they don't), but lower occupancy at those resorts wouldn't be indicative of whether Disney is in a position to build more DVC (as others have pointed out).

To the other points made by a few others: we bought SSR, too, and don't plan on staying there if we can avoid it. It was the most cost effective option. Cheapest per point on the resale market, lower than average dues, and a later than average expiration date. What's not to love...besides the resort itself?!

I booked BCV with an AP discount last July with no problem. I considered it again for this August too. :shrug: I just checked and the dates I was looking at for August are gone but they still had at least one room available as little as two weeks ago when I last looked.

Captain Chaos

Well, let me add some fuel to the fire... A few years back I took the DVC tour... They were showcasing SSR and Animal Kingdom Lodge... BLT was in the process of being built not not announced... You know, Disney's worst kept secret... anyway, he told me after BLT, they were going to concentrate on Hawaii.... Then after Hawaii, the next WDW DVC resort would be an existing resort on the monorail line.. Yes, I know, he knows about as much as a bus driver, but, he mentioned Hawaii before Hawaii was a rumor... Take it with a heavy dosage of salt, but, the next DVC may be Polynesian or Grand Floridian... My bet.. Polynesian...

SeaCastle

Well, let me add some fuel to the fire... A few years back I took the DVC tour... They were showcasing SSR and Animal Kingdom Lodge... BLT was in the process of being built not not announced... You know, Disney's worst kept secret... anyway, he told me after BLT, they were going to concentrate on Hawaii.... Then after Hawaii, the next WDW DVC resort would be an existing resort on the monorail line.. Yes, I know, he knows about as much as a bus driver, but, he mentioned Hawaii before Hawaii was a rumor... Take it with a heavy dosage of salt, but, the next DVC may be Polynesian or Grand Floridian... My bet.. Polynesian...

Interesting to hear; I'll take some sodium chloride with that, though. I could see a Polynesian DVC location as being very popular, but whether or not there's space for it would be the question, assuming they didn't retrofit an existing building. (Mind you, this is the second time I've heard a rumor of the DVC coming to the Magic Kingdom resort area.)

Captain Chaos

Interesting to hear; I'll take some sodium chloride with that, though. I could see a Polynesian DVC location as being very popular, but whether or not there's space for it would be the question, assuming they didn't retrofit an existing building. (Mind you, this is the second time I've heard a rumor of the DVC coming to the Magic Kingdom resort area.)

The DVC is already there.. Bay Lake Towers.. :lol:

As always, I won't believe it until Disney announces it and dirt is dug, ground is removed, and buildings are built... He didn't say which resort, just that it will be added to an existing one.. Eh, I rather they build a new resort, not new rooms at poly...

artvandelay

Original Poster
Does anyone remember a rumor about a DVC resort on the EPCOT monorail line? I think it was rumored to be near the runway.

Well they had announced a Eagle Pines DVC which is sorta nearthe Epcot monorail but they ended up selling the land off to Four Seasons.

I havent heard anything more on the Washington DC resort yet.

dixiegirl

Is it a great sale rate? Or is it just owners of other resorts using points there. Have to say that both SSR and OKW are being pushed here as discounted resort stays for the general public, makes you winder where all the owners are:shrug:

I"m here, I'm here!!!
We own at SSR and enjoy it, yes we've stayed at other DVC resorts butreally enjoy SSR..We'll be back in Sept!

God as I start to read...No big fans for SSR.....It's not that bad of a resort.(well thats just my opinion)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom