New DVC Resort Near CSR Planned?

TinkerBell9988

Disney shouldn't be too concerned about rushing to build a new DVC... True, BLT is EXTREMELY popular (trust me, the closest reservation I could get in that place was in NOVEMBER of this year... and I made the reservation 2 months ago). But at the same time, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West always have availabilities, so much that during spring break 2010 (at least when I was there), only about 50% of Saratoga Springs was filled up. The resort was pretty much a ghostland...

Anyway, just my two cents. :D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That was my point, Ive stayed once at SSR, my home resort, and would rather stay anywhere but there. And I know Im not alone, thats why I figured the two newest resorts seemed so busy.

dreamfinder

How long does it take to walk using the back entrance/exit from Epcot? Wanted to walk over and check out the boardwalk and BCV with the family.

You can get to BCV in maybe 5-10 minutes. BW is that far yet again. You could take the boat, but walking is very possibly faster, depending on your route. The boat goes from Epcot, to BW, to BCV, to Swan/Dolphin. So if you are going to BCV first, then walk. If you are going to BW first, then maybe the boat. The captains have even said that walking is probably faster. Last trip, going from DHS, when they docked at the Swan/Dolphin, they advise anyone going to BW to walk across the bridge, instead of going via BCV.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
How long does it take to walk using the back entrance/exit from Epcot? Wanted to walk over and check out the boardwalk and BCV with the family.

About 10 minutes depending on how fast you are walking to get to BCV. Its a nice stroll with only one hill along the way. The walk to Boardwalk is longer and more annoying because of the hill and a bridge you have to hike over.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
That was my point, Ive stayed once at SSR, my home resort, and would rather stay anywhere but there. And I know Im not alone, thats why I figured the two newest resorts seemed so busy.

SSR reminds me of one of those "retirement communities for active seniors". I'm surprised the couches don't have plastic over them.

I would stay at ANY resort but that one.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
SSR reminds me of one of those "retirement communities for active seniors". I'm surprised the couches don't have plastic over them.

I would stay at ANY resort but that one.

:lol: I was given a naughty point on a UK site for posting a similar comment. It upset the resident coffin dodgers.

luvlifeinfl

I too am a owner at SSR and if I knew then what I know now, I probably would have not purchased in at SSR or tried to get in at another DVC resort. we prefer not to stay there, but when we cannot get in at BWV or AK, we book at our home resort, get on a wait list and hope something else will open up.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I hate to say it, but building another DVC resort has little or nothing to do with how many poeple stay at the resort. It has to do with how many "points" remain unsold. Once someone buys all the points at the resort and start pay the annual dues, than DVC is ready to move on and build at another location. My understanding is that BLT is going fast, AK is not doing as well, and the DVC at Disneyland is almost sold out.

The only expection to this is that DVC has to pay for members trading points for other vacations. In order to do this, DVC must rent out the "traded points" and pay DVC back for the cash payment needed for those vacations. I have not heard of this being a problem.

Tom

Beta Return
I hate to say it, but building another DVC resort has little or nothing to do with how many poeple stay at the resort. It has to do with how many "points" remain unsold. Once someone buys all the points at the resort and start pay the annual dues, than DVC is ready to move on and build at another location. My understanding is that BLT is going fast, AK is not doing as well, and the DVC at Disneyland is almost sold out.

The only expection to this is that DVC has to pay for members trading points for other vacations. In order to do this, DVC must rent out the "traded points" and pay DVC back for the cash payment needed for those vacations. I have not heard of this being a problem.

You said this before I could.

Even if every DVC room were empty every single day, Disney could still build more DVC resorts and make money. All they have to do is sell the timeshare points and they're covered.

The regular resort hotels have to fill their rooms to cover their operating expenses. DVC resorts are paid for by dues and maintenance fees. Whether they're 100% full or 100% empty, they're making money.

If they're running out of shares to sell at BLT, they need to get moving on the next one or they'll have a period of time when they can't sell points - which is bad for marketing and sales. You never want a period of time when you don't have a product to sell. And they can only sell futures for so long before a new one actually opens.

I hope the spot reserved for the "Mediterranean" resort on Seven Seas Lagoon becomes a dedicated DVC resort. My wife and I really hope for a Poly DVC wing, but they'd have to actually forfeit one of their premium-view longhouses and convert it to do so, because Poly is landlocked. I would buy into a Poly DVC building in a heartbeat!

DizFanatic

We have 7 nights in August at the Treehouses and is the one and only time you will see me happy to drive through the gates of SSR...

We stayed at the Treehouse Villas last year and LOVED it. I could live there! Don't worry, if you don't like SSR, you'll only have to pass through SSR gates for check-in. After that, you'll never have to see it because THV has its own entrance. I hope you have a great time!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I think you could add a DVC at the Poly without removing any of the Poly rooms. You could build a new location for the Luau Dinner Show and build it there. The dinner show location could even be a indoor area in the first floor of the new Poly DVC.

scottnj1966

A DVC at poly makes more sense then one across a major roadway from Disney Hollywood Studios.
You already have the beach and yacht club resort that would be the same distance away.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
We stayed at the Treehouse Villas last year and LOVED it. I could live there! Don't worry, if you don't like SSR, you'll only have to pass through SSR gates for check-in. After that, you'll never have to see it because THV has its own entrance. I hope you have a great time!

This is excellent news. I am trying my hardest to ignore the fact that I am going to be on SSR property. :lol:

Optimus Mouse

I don't understand the hate for SSR. The property is beautifully landscaped, the 1BR and 2BR are decent enough, they have a great pool, a spa, golf, and are a stone's throw away from Downtown Disney. It's not my absolute favorite DVC resort, but then again it's tough to beat the BCV. :animwink:

Master Gracey 5

I hope the spot reserved for the "Mediterranean" resort on Seven Seas Lagoon becomes a dedicated DVC resort. My wife and I really hope for a Poly DVC wing, but they'd have to actually forfeit one of their premium-view longhouses and convert it to do so, because Poly is landlocked. I would buy into a Poly DVC building in a heartbeat!

Part of the reason the the Mediterranean resort was never built was that even with the land filled in, the area was too soft and unstable to build on. Granted this was twenty-thirty years ago so modern building methods might allow them to do it, but I wouldn't expect anything new to be built in that location when they have plenty of other land they can use that would be cheaper to prepare.

I will admit the pull of being on or near the monorail and MK might be strong enough that they will go through the extra building costs to put a new DVC in the old Mediterranean location. (This assumes they now can build on the land.)

montyz81

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Disney+World,+Orlando,+FL&sll=28.677335,-82.017746&sspn=0.446994,0.699692&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Disney+World,+Orlando,+Orange,+Florida&ll=28.382679,-81.574645&spn=0.028015,0.043731&t=h&z=15&iwloc=A
maps

This blank area next to world drive. Is this the location?

I'm staying at SSR for the first time in October . . . why all the hate? I've never stayed there before, so I'm just curious as to why so many people seem to dislike it. Any comments? (I have no kids, am prepared for the lackluster theming, will be staying at Grandstand, and will have a car to avoid the buses. I think that covers it all.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom