New DVC Resort Near CSR Planned?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I"m here, I'm here!!!
We own at SSR and enjoy it, yes we've stayed at other DVC resorts butreally enjoy SSR..We'll be back in Sept!

God as I start to read...No big fans for SSR.....It's not that bad of a resort.(well thats just my opinion)

No its not a bad resort, its just not really a Disneyfied place, which for us defeats the object. As someone put earlier a gated retirement community.
Plus the food court/shop is hellish.

dixiegirl

No its not a bad resort, its just not really a Disneyfied place, which for us defeats the object. As someone put earlier a gated retirement community.
Plus the food court/shop is hellish.

Yes I do agree it defintaly is not Disneyfied (funny because hubby and I use that term quite often..) Its more resortish ( yes that another fun term, we really need a place on the site that we have our own Disney Dictionary ) Anyway yeah I agree ....after staying many years at POR which to us had a great food court , general store and OH yeah great bar by the pool , we bought into SSR price wise, was great to us...One day we'll stay at BLT, When it calms down a bit(if that ever happens!):)

Although as a side note they do have a great flatbread pizza in the food court at SSR..Always great after a long day at the park.....a snack!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Id like to stay there but Mrs S hates the Contemporary. Would go back to Kidanni though Im under instructions to always try for WL first.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well they had announced a Eagle Pines DVC which is sorta nearthe Epcot monorail but they ended up selling the land off to Four Seasons.

I havent heard anything more on the Washington DC resort yet.

I was told last weekend that the D.C. resort is currently on an extreme back-burner, due to the economy and finding anyone to partner with in the region.

dixiegirl

Id like to stay there but Mrs S hates the Contemporary. Would go back to Kidanni though Im under instructions to always try for WL first.

Yeah the hubby is'nt to fond of the DVC villas at BLT either...I like the old, nostaglic look to them while he does'nt..We've stayed at WL last year, maybe it was just us but I was'nt impressed with it..although could be that after not 1 but 3 different rooms we finally had got one that was clean, no towels on the floor or garbage full or luggage on the bed (yeah luggage) still in the room ...I did like the forest feeling of it all ...And taking the boatride to MK was nice..As for AKL....My oldest the other day was asking if we could stay there next year...So posibly...I just don't like how its not near anything....at least at SSR we can always take a walk over to Downtown get some icecream while the two monkeys play in the fountain!

Yeah DVC really is'nt a "secret " anymore!!!:ROFLOL:

sbkline

I'm not sure how many people may have touched on this already, or how many people may agree, but personally, I'm sick and tired of seeing nothing but DVC resorts being built. I'm not a DVC member and probably will never be and it seems like all they ever build anymore is freaking DVC resorts. If they are going to build more resorts, I would like to see more regular resorts. I know they are building that new Animation resort on the value level and I'm thrilled to death to see them finally deviating from the DVC and going back to a regular hotel. But I would really love to see them build another moderate or Deluxe.

Tom

Beta Return
I'm not sure how many people may have touched on this already, or how many people may agree, but personally, I'm sick and tired of seeing nothing but DVC resorts being built. I'm not a DVC member and probably will never be and it seems like all they ever build anymore is freaking DVC resorts. If they are going to build more resorts, I would like to see more regular resorts. I know they are building that new Animation resort on the value level and I'm thrilled to death to see them finally deviating from the DVC and going back to a regular hotel. But I would really love to see them build another moderate or Deluxe.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Disney won't be building any more regular resort hotels unless there is a demand for them. They can't fill the hotels rooms they have now, so adding the expense of building a new one, and then adding the ongoing overhead costs to run it just doesn't make sense.

The primary reasons the Animation Resort is going up is because there is a need for family suites, and the foundations (and portions of some buildings) were already there. They're building it out of convenience and to fill a specific need.

Other than that, they don't need any more rooms until they can start filling the ones they have. Right now, you can still book a week-long stay for July, which used to be unheard of.

And sadly, the day they can justify the expense of a new hotel will be the day they don't need to offer us 40% off PIN codes anymore.

Fractal514

I'm pretty sure that without the DVC projects there wouldn't be ANY construction going on for new resorts. DVC is a very different business model for Disney, it essentially allows them to partner with the public for the sharing of the costs in building a hotel. Think 60 years down the line. That's what Disney does, at that point when all the Bay Lake Contracts have expired, they will have a new hotel to put on the market, all paid for by DVCers. It's actually pretty ingenious.

DisneyJoe

Right....but if you can afford to pay the rack rate for a Disney Villa using cash, you might as well join DVC.

Agreed - but he was asking for more Deluxe resorts to be built too - and I believe the same would be said of the pricing for new deluxe resorts.

Gregoryp73

I wonder if they would/could ever build a brand new hotel on existing monorail tracks? We need a hotel representing Fantasyland/Liberty Square!

I'm still crossing my fingers and wishing really hard for a medievel type resort to represent fantasy land over by that boggy area over by the contemporary resort. They could really have fun with it. It would definately have to be less cheesy than those types of resorts in vegas...but I have faith in imagineering.:lookaroun

Tom

Beta Return
Agreed - but he was asking for more Deluxe resorts to be built too - and I believe the same would be said of the pricing for new deluxe resorts.

I'm still crossing my fingers and wishing really hard for a medievel type resort to represent fantasy land over by that boggy area over by the contemporary resort. They could really have fun with it. It would definately have to be less cheesy than those types of resorts in vegas...but I have faith in imagineering.:lookaroun

That's the plot of land (between TTC and Contemporary, on the monorail) that was originally reserved for a Mediterranean resort. It was indicated on the WDW Master Plan in the 70s.

Since there are no dedicated DVC resorts on the monorail (BLT is a suburb of Contemp and isn't technically on the monorail), I would love to see one fill that void. Then I could actually afford to stay at a monorail resort for once :)

sbkline

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Disney won't be building any more regular resort hotels unless there is a demand for them. They can't fill the hotels rooms they have now, so adding the expense of building a new one, and then adding the ongoing overhead costs to run it just doesn't make sense.

The primary reasons the Animation Resort is going up is because there is a need for family suites, and the foundations (and portions of some buildings) were already there. They're building it out of convenience and to fill a specific need.

Other than that, they don't need any more rooms until they can start filling the ones they have. Right now, you can still book a week-long stay for July, which used to be unheard of.

And sadly, the day they can justify the expense of a new hotel will be the day they don't need to offer us 40% off PIN codes anymore.

That's a fair enough point, I must confess.

DisneyNut7578

I agree. We usually go for 1 week every year and multiple weekends throughout the year. We usually do a moderate for the week trips and deluxe for weekends. We've stayed at every moderate about 10 times each. I love them and all, but I'd love to see something new in the moderate range!!

Daannzzz

I too wish they would build some more regular Disney resorts but I understand that they are over built. I would like to see another Moderate. I liked the idea and location of Buffalo Junction. It is too bad they did not build that.

I am marrying into the DVC. :) We had a chance at a vacation without much planning time so we booked into Saratoga Springs as nothing else was left,except OKW. His home resort is Saratoga Springs.
Now... I have never been a big fan of the whole DVC thing. OKW always seemed somewhat unobtrusive and the Boardwalk Villas (while the least interesting looking of all the Disney resorts, inside and out) where nicely integrated at their location the adding on to the other deluxe resorts WLV, BCV kind of ruined the approach to those places, even though their architecture is nice.
When they started building Saratoga I felt it would look pretty bland and generic like the BWV. After completion I walked over and thought it was better than I expected so when we arrived for our stay, a couple weeks ago, I already had a favorable impression. We were assigned to the Grandstand, as requested and had a room on the side of the building with a view of the fairway. It was a nice view with some good sunsets as well as storm clouds. It was VERY quiet. The room decor is not my style but it was quite comfortable and it was nice to have the LITTLE kitchen area. I am not usually one to spend time at the pool but I loved the quiet pool at the Grandstand. It has a classy but very old fashioned quality out of the old White City parks. It was never crowded and the water features were fun.
The main pool looks nice and the main building lounge and food area was very nice.
This was the most relaxing resorts (AKL comes in second) I have stayed at on Disney property. While it is great to be at a resort with a boat or monorail I always have a car and use it so transportation was not an issue.
I look forward to trying some of the other DVC resorts but think I would love to return to Saratoga Springs.
IMG_8162.jpg

IMG_8155.jpg

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8099-1.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_8097-1.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

IMG_7874.jpg

dixiegirl

I too wish they would build some more regular Disney resorts but I understand that they are over built. I would like to see another Moderate. I liked the idea and location of Buffalo Junction. It is too bad they did not build that.

I am marrying into the DVC. :) We had a chance at a vacation without much planning time so we booked into Saratoga Springs as nothing else was left,except OKW. His home resort is Saratoga Springs.
Now... I have never been a big fan of the whole DVC thing. OKW always seemed somewhat unobtrusive and the Boardwalk Villas (while the least interesting looking of all the Disney resorts, inside and out) where nicely integrated at their location the adding on to the other deluxe resorts WLV, BCV kind of ruined the approach to those places, even though their architecture is nice.
When they started building Saratoga I felt it would look pretty bland and generic like the BWV. After completion I walked over and thought it was better than I expected so when we arrived for our stay, a couple weeks ago, I already had a favorable impression. We were assigned to the Grandstand, as requested and had a room on the side of the building with a view of the fairway. It was a nice view with some good sunsets as well as storm clouds. It was VERY quiet. The room decor is not my style but it was quite comfortable and it was nice to have the LITTLE kitchen area. I am not usually one to spend time at the pool but I loved the quiet pool at the Grandstand. It has a classy but very old fashioned quality out of the old White City parks. It was never crowded and the water features were fun.
The main pool looks nice and the main building lounge and food area was very nice.
This was the most relaxing resorts (AKL comes in second) I have stayed at on Disney property. While it is great to be at a resort with a boat or monorail I always have a car and use it so transportation was not an issue.
I look forward to trying some of the other DVC resorts but think I would love to return to Saratoga Springs.
IMG_8162.jpg

IMG_8155.jpg

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8099-1.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_8097-1.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

IMG_7874.jpg

AHHHHH nice pics.....makes me can't wait to go back "home"!!! You put it perfectly about SSR! We'll be going back there in Sept and trying a 1 bedroom for the first time(since we joined we always got a studio).....Afraid we might not want to go back to a studio!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is the problem. Disney owned hotels have empty rooms in all price ranges. Value resorts are being filled at a greater rate than any other, so Disney can move forward to complete the old Pop. Disney will not and can not afford to build additional more costly resorts till they fill the ones they got. DVC construction is paid by the sale of points and up keep is paid by annual dues. DVC cost Disney nothing and provides a large group of people that return year after year. By DVC members staying at DVC resorts and not Disney owned resorts, it will delay even longer the time in which Disney will need to build more costly resorts. I have always said and still feel DVC is a cash cow for the Disney Parks.

JCorduroy

Afraid we might not want to go back to a studio!

BINGO. My wife and I moved up to the 1 bedroom after our son was born, and we can't EVER imagine going back to the studio. Even if he stays with grandma and grandpa the weekend we go, we get the 1 bedroom...it's just too nice not to! :)

Biff215

First off, I can't say that I'm all that excited about the prospect of DVC building another standalone resort. In my opinion, OKW and SSR are by far the weakest both theme and amenity-wise. We own at SSR and have stayed there twice. It's a beautiful resort and worked fine for those trips. We just tend to prefer the resort feel you get from the DVC wings attached to deluxe resorts. We're not fans of outdoor hallways and separate buildings that are a long walk from the lobby. This is just our opinion though and understand why others would like those options. I just can't understand why Disney would add another similar property when the current two are clearly the least popular with members. I could see them having a tougher time selling an SSR-type resort in this economy and with the number of cheap resales out there on the market to compete with.

As far as the Poly goes, I just don't see DVC happening there. The Poly is such a popular resort with a loyal following that I don't see management allowing DVC to come in without a fight. A wing there would likely be among the smallest and probably wouldn't justify the inconvenience and logistics of construction for DVC or the Poly. The DVC in California would be a good comparison for size, but that was understandable given the lack of a DL property and the amount of land available there. Disney simply doesn't have that problem at WDW. With that said, I would do everything I could to own at Poly if it ever happened!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom