New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Burgower1994

dkjn1031.jpg

As part of the multi-year expansion of the Disneyland Resort, we are upgrading, improving and adding new parking and transportation enhancements that have been long envisioned for the resort. The centerpiece of this plan is an all-new parking structure to be built on the current Pinocchio surface parking lot next to Mickey & Friends.

This new 6,500-space structure is designed to dramatically improve parking and traffic flow throughout the resort. It is expected to significantly speed up guest arrival by providing a 60 percent increase in the number of access lanes and adding additional parking capacity on the west side of the resort.

The additional parking capacity and access lanes will streamline vehicle arrivals on the west side of the resort and eliminate backups onto city streets. In addition, the tram boarding area will be reconfigured to enhance the transportation experience for guests parking at both the new structure and Mickey & Friends.

Construction is scheduled to begin in February 2018, with the structure set to open the following year.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...improvements-coming-to-the-disneyland-resort/

britain

Whoa! And from that article...

"Meanwhile, the new hotel — yet to be named — is the first Disney has built in Anaheim in 20 years and will adhere to AAA’s strict four-diamond guideline. Disney officials described it as a “contemporary style” hotel, a “resort oasis” that will take up 17-acres on the west side of Downtown Disney, where ESPN Zone, the AMC theaters, Earl of Sandwich, Starbucks and Rainforest Cafe currently sit. Disneyland officials said they are beginning to inform the affected tenants of the resort’s plans and there’s a possibility some of them may operate inside of the hotel.

Disney also plans to build a platform connecting the Disneyland Monorail system inside the new hotel."

HERE's your Downtown Disney remodel! They're essentially going to cut it in half and put a new hotel complex on it.

Last edited:

britain

I think it's funny that they say they will build a platform connecting the monorail to the new hotel, but if you look at a map of all the places they described, they are essentially going to keep the Downtown Disney monorail station where it is and just build a hotel around it.

Contemporary Resort West, huh?

Nonsuch

This is study for a DVC expansion in the same general area. The occupancy tax rebate makes building a hotel a better deal than another DVC resort, but does show some concepts Disney has explored.
2413fa14762291.56037210cd923.jpg

One key feature shows DTD extending toward Mickey and Friends. Guests could walk from parking directly into DTD and to the parks.

mickEblu

wwhet.gif

And just like that...the Eastern Gateway is dead.
I have always thought that an additional parking structure adjacent to the current M&F structure was the smartest idea.

What does this spell for the future of Marvel-land???

Probably means for sure Bugs Land is gone and maybe the entire Hollywood backlot if they can't move the bus transportation area somewhere else... Which would effect the possible Mickey ride plans. But it probably just means Marvel land will be smaller and contained to he expansion pad behind TOT and Bugs Land (which may have been the case anyway)

It also means they can go ahead and break ground now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Greetings from Thailand! Just had to weigh in quickly this morning by saying... WOW! What a huge pivot away from Harbor Blvd. Those Harbor businesses must feel pretty dumb about now as Mickey gives them the cold shoulder.

Hope you're having a good trip. I sort of expected this, as they had to do something in order to get the extra parking needed in time for SWL:GE opening in 2019. Now the question is how will this affect the plans for DCA/Marvel expansion into the current transportation area. I sort of expect them to still overhaul that area and maybe even close off the Harbor entrance at some point.

RSoxNo1

So a few things. First, it's good that they're moving forward with something. Second, it's good that this facility will have escalators.

Having said that, they're sacrificing existing spaces on the Pinocchio lot in favor of a garage that's smaller than the Eastern Gateway project. The Eastern Gateway project was supposed to be 6900 spaces and the garage is only 6500 spaces. No idea how many spaces are being absorbed in the Pinocchio lot.

I don't know enough about this, but I suspect that while this will be a significant improvement it still won't eliminate parking problems.

TROR

So a few things. First, it's good that they're moving forward with something. Second, it's good that this facility will have escalators.

Having said that, they're sacrificing existing spaces on the Pinocchio lot in favor of a garage that's smaller than the Eastern Gateway project. The Eastern Gateway project was supposed to be 6900 spaces and the garage is only 6500 spaces. No idea how many spaces are being absorbed in the Pinocchio lot.

I don't know enough about this, but I suspect that while this will be a significant improvement it still won't eliminate parking problems.

There will be 400 new spots in the Toy Story lot, so it does even out, it seems.

mickEblu

Some Qs....

Is this the same size as the parking lot on Harbor would have been?

What do they do with the space on Harbor now?

Why was the Pinocchio lot not considered before? Was it more for traffic flow from folks getting to the resort off the 5 North/ DCA expansion?

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

What does this spell for the future of Marvel-land???

Well, here is my guess, Disney will wait until 2019, or later when they have a much more friendly city council, and once again try for some sort of Eastern Gateway, but maybe not a parking structure at first.

So you will get the bridge, a new transportation hub, security check, and pedestrian pathways. Maybe convert Pummba to the Toy Story Bus Stop and enlarge the new security check to hand the buses. And then the land near the west side of Harbor can be used for expansion, so a delay for Marvel Land 2.0, which allows phase 1 to start on current land.

But once again, the non-Disney business get dealt a blow, as now more folks will enter from the west, and they will lose customers. The Winners are the new Werstin, and the Hotels on Katella between West Drive and Walnut. I expect to see some of the Hotels/Motels to get major upgrades, maybe even being torn down and rebuilt from scratch. Also, some property getting sold for new projects,

Once the USCIS lease expires, Disney can rethink the new Pummba Structure, and maybe convert Toy Story to more Katella CM parking to help the CM issue.

mickEblu

I can't wait until they announce Marvel land at the 2019 D23 expo... for the 3rd time.

Lol. Can't they just break ground now? I guess it depends on what the future plans are for the Harbor space and bus transportation area. I would assume they still use Harbor for another parking lot but not so sure about the bus area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom