New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Darkbeer1

Are these people really anti-Disny or are they just less willing to bend over backwards and give Disney everything it wants without bigger concessions for their constituents?

Mayor Tait and Councilmember Moreno are actively Anti-Disney, and campaigns using the Disney is evil theme.

Three members (Faessel, Kring and Murray) state their support for Disney and the Resort District.

The other two that usually vote with Tait and Moreno (Barnes and Vanderbilt), but don't actively call out Disney as evil.

DLR92

I wonder what would happen if Lori would happen to win for mayor? I remember Disney and her were at war during the earlier years. LOL

Darkbeer1

I wonder what would happen if Lori would happen to win for mayor? I remember Disney and her were at war during the earlier years. LOL

From a speech from this week by Lorri Galloway.

http://www.anaheimblog.net/2017/10/...y-for-anaheim-mayor-pledges-we-can-do-better/

>>Alluding to incumbent Mayor Tom Tait’s acrimonious political isolation for most of the past seven years, Galloway talked up her ability to work with people of divergent views.

“I realize that a successful mayor cannot operate in a silo,” Galloway said. “I know how to reach out to my council colleagues to create relationships based on mutual respect, reach across the aisle and build consensus to get things done.”

She called for “building an economy in Anaheim to benefits everyone” and for “fair living wages and fair working conditions.” She said it “should be easier to open a business in our city, and in fact we should have a sign in front of City Hall saying ‘We Are Open for Business.”<<

>>She diverged from the increasingly strident Resort rhetoric of fellow Democrat mayoral candidate Ashleigh Aitken, saying “Let’s support the growth of the Resort Area because that brings in thousands of new jobs for our hard-working residents.”<<

D

Deleted member 107043

Mayor Tait and Councilmember Moreno are actively Anti-Disney, and campaigns using the Disney is evil theme.

Three members (Faessel, Kring and Murray) state their support for Disney and the Resort District.

The other two that usually vote with Tait and Moreno (Barnes and Vanderbilt), but don't actively call out Disney as evil.

Thanks for explaining. Again, I don't follow OC politics closely so it's nice to have the perspective from a least one Anaheim citizen.

I disagree with those who claim Disney is evil, although I can see how that argument makes for a good campaign strategy. I suppose it's easy to attack a multi billion dollar corporation in an instance like this, especially when it hasn't been overly generous to the local community beyond meeting its tax obligations. I think Disney ought to do more to repair its image with the local community.

It'll be very interesting to see how this all pans out in Anaheim in the long run. I expect Disney to continue to ditter along there while focusing its attention in places like Hong Kong where it can stretch more easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

From a speech from this week by Lorri Galloway.

http://www.anaheimblog.net/2017/10/...y-for-anaheim-mayor-pledges-we-can-do-better/

>>Alluding to incumbent Mayor Tom Tait’s acrimonious political isolation for most of the past seven years, Galloway talked up her ability to work with people of divergent views.

“I realize that a successful mayor cannot operate in a silo,” Galloway said. “I know how to reach out to my council colleagues to create relationships based on mutual respect, reach across the aisle and build consensus to get things done.”

She called for “building an economy in Anaheim to benefits everyone” and for “fair living wages and fair working conditions.” She said it “should be easier to open a business in our city, and in fact we should have a sign in front of City Hall saying ‘We Are Open for Business.”<<

>>She diverged from the increasingly strident Resort rhetoric of fellow Democrat mayoral candidate Ashleigh Aitken, saying “Let’s support the growth of the Resort Area because that brings in thousands of new jobs for our hard-working residents.”<<

She sounds reasonable.

phillip sugarman

Don't know if anyone saw this yet but this is a rumor going around that Disneyland is going to cancel all the runDisney events at the resort due to the increased amount of construction that will be taking place in the near future. http://.com/blog/2017/10/rumor-rundisney-cancels-future-race-events-marathons-disneyland-resort/

TP2000

She sounds reasonable.

Careful Hans, don't be lured in by her womanly ways. :cool:

She was a tragically failed Anaheim mayoral candidate in 2016. After she lost her seat on the Anaheim City Council. After she hitched her wagon to the SunCal developers in 2007 and took a boatload of campaign cash from those sleazy condo developers who ended up going bankrupt by 2009 in the housing crash and financial panic.

She's an upper-middle class white woman living in a McMansion in Anaheim Hills, but she's not above driving down to the Anaheim flatlands, parking her leased Lexus around the corner, and then going door to door shilling her old maiden name of Hispanic origin to try and get votes. She's playing both sides of the fence with her carefully scripted political jargon there; coyly playing to her upper-middle class neighbors in Anaheim Hills, while pandering to the working class folks in the downscale west Anaheim barrios.

I honestly forgot all about her after she dropped off the political map. Her history with the sleazy SunCal developers a decade ago still leaves a bad taste in my mouth though, and funny how she never mentions that anymore.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Captain Kidd's Family Restaurant - 9/30/2017 (One Star)
"I will never come back. The food was ok, however it was cold. Hair in the egg salad gave me a dirty cup for my drink. I should have read the reviews prior to coming here.i really wish I could get my money back. The service was decent."

City of Anaheim!!! Let's surely NOT direct people around this fine establishment and plop them into Disneyland. Look at what kind of amazing experience they'd be missing out on!

I went there once. Never again...

It was an ordeal I didn't think I'd survive, and I'm glad I made it through without any kind of food poisoning or PTSD.

#buildthebridge

DLR92

She was a tragically failed Anaheim mayoral candidate in 2016. After she lost her seat on the Anaheim City Council. After she hitched her wagon to the SunCal developers in 2007 and took a boatload of donation cash from those sleazy condo developers who ended up going bankrupt by 2009 in the housing crash and financial panic.

She's an upper-middle class white woman living in a McMansion in Anaheim Hills, but she's not above driving down to the Anaheim flatlands, parking her leased Lexus around the corner, and then going door to door shilling her old maiden name of Hispanic origin to try and get votes. She's playing both sides of the fence with her carefully scripted political jargon there; coyly playing to her upper-middle class neighbors in Anaheim Hills, while pandering to the working class folks in the downscale west Anaheim barrios.

I honestly forgot all about her after she dropped off the political map. Her history with the sleazy SunCal developers a decade ago still leaves a bad taste in my mouth though, and funny how she never mentions that anymore.

She seems to be very calculating with her recent campaign. lol

D

Deleted member 107043

She was a tragically failed Anaheim mayoral candidate in 2016. After she lost her seat on the Anaheim City Council. After she hitched her wagon to the SunCal developers in 2007 and took a boatload of campaign cash from those sleazy condo developers who ended up going bankrupt by 2009 in the housing crash and financial panic.

And this is why I don't follow local politics.

Practical Pig

Don't know if anyone saw this yet but this is a rumor going around that Disneyland is going to cancel all the runDisney events at the resort due to the increased amount of construction that will be taking place in the near future. http://*****.com/blog/2017/10/rumor...ture-race-events-marathons-disneyland-resort/

I don't have anything link-wise now to back this up, but the word-of-mouth rumor I've heard is that the possible cancellation is really due to the acrimonious political relationship that currently exists between Disney and Anaheim's city council, with construction projects being offered as a smoke screen.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

OK, reality...

WDW runs all its races on property, and uses volunteers and its own security staff to man the courses and deal with vehicular traffic. So Disney has total control.

In Anaheim, Disney uses a paid staff through a company that deals with running events in California and elsewhere, but has a good understanding of all the special rules California requires for using public streets. Then you have to get the city of Anaheim to approve the course, and provide Police services to control traffic, Cal-Trans is involved due to the need to close or restrict freeway on/off ramps. Then Disney also makes deals with places like Angel Stadium to have a course run through the infield. Also, the vast majority of runners stay on-property at WDW, but of curse, in Anaheim, the majority stay off-property due to Hotel inventory.

So the profit margins are a lot greater in Orlando.

And Disney Way is a key road to connect back to Disney Property (Fire gate exit on the east side of DCA near the Hyperion. If work on Pumbaa starts, there will be road issues. Could there be a re-route, possibly, but the city and Disney need Katella to be clear after the race starts to allow cars to get to the parking lots and general traffic flows. The city has forced course changes over the years to allow the best vehicular traffic flow.

So, could Disney be using this as part of the Eastern Gateway negotiations? Yes. Is the current issues with Tait/Moreno requiring the threat... Probably

But Disney doesn't lose much if they stop offering running events in Anaheim. The parks don't need the additional attendance those weekends, which are forced on them by the city to fall on holiday weekends to lower traffic impacts,

So it is a good way to use something they are willing to lose as part of a carrot and stick approach.

Darkbeer1

Two more issues..

Disney currently charges runners 2 to 4 times the costs of other races.

Disney used to sell out of running slots within days of being placed on sale, now they get sold out the weekend of the race.

So, Disney isn't happy with its profit out here, and can't raise rates, so maybe it is the best thing to fold up shop, and blame Tait/Moreno, when it is really not their fault for the most part.

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

I just did a thread on this, shoulda glanced at this first, but perhaps that convo can be in its own thread now.
Concerning the parking garage and other 'construction', I do agree that it would not be the 'only' reason behind cancelling the runs... if Disney wanted to, they could figure out how to re-route the runs, work things out etc...

There must be other motives like what Darkbeer suggested, I can jive with it.

Darkbeer1

OK, I am not "MOM", but as one of the main posters on this thread, lets try and keep the topic on the project, which does include the possible public transportation and CM access changes.

But the wage issue, may I suggest that it gets moved to the LA Times "fair share" recent thread, which is a much better fit. I think MOM would appreciate it, and I know I would.

And thinking about tonight's city council meeting made me remember about GardenWalk and the city requiring it to have a public transit use. The basement level of the complex next to the 24 hour Fitness was designed for it. Plenty of room (and height) for multiple buses, in the shade (and protected from the weather), has restrooms, and since it is private property, should help deal with the Homeless issue. AGW would get more foot traffic. The entrance and exit roads are off Manchester. So a good place to have all the OCTA and LA Metro buses meet, and then have the riders who want to get to Disney to use the new Pedestrian Entrance on Disney Way, or take a free ART shuttle provided by Disney closer to the security check area. Gets the big buses off Harbor, and out of the new Transportation Hub, making room for the smaller buses and shuttle vans. Keep the bus stop next to HoJo's and add one next to the Courtyard, this would give folks the option of crossing Harbor there and access the smaller checkpoint for guests, and CM access to Harbor Pointe.

So between Convention Way and the I-5 freeway, you would have three stops, one at Convention Way, then a turn onto Harbor to Manchester, then pull into the new AGW Hub station, then the HoJo's stop, and then at Ball next to the Ball Road CM lot. This would give CM's three bus stops to choose from, and Disney could have CM Shuttle stops at the AGW or just Ball Road, depending on multiple factors.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OK, I am not "MOM", but as one of the main posters on this thread, lets try and keep the topic on the project, which does include the possible public transportation and CM access changes.

But the wage issue, may I suggest that it gets moved to the LA Times "fair share" recent thread, which is a much better fit. I think MOM would appreciate it, and I know I would.

And thinking about tonight's city council meeting made me remember about GardenWalk and the city requiring it to have a public transit use. The basement level of the complex next to the 24 hour Fitness was designed for it. Plenty of room (and height) for multiple buses, in the shade (and protected from the weather), has restrooms, and since it is private property, should help deal with the Homeless issue. AGW would get more foot traffic. The entrance and exit roads are off Manchester. So a good place to have all the OCTA and LA Metro buses meet, and then have the riders who want to get to Disney to use the new Pedestrian Entrance on Disney Way, or take a free ART shuttle provided by Disney closer to the security check area. Gets the big buses off Harbor, and out of the new Transportation Hub, making room for the smaller buses and shuttle vans. Keep the bus stop next to HoJo's and add one next to the Courtyard, this would give folks the option of crossing Harbor there and access the smaller checkpoint for guests, and CM access to Harbor Pointe.

So between Convention Way and the I-5 freeway, you would have three stops, one at Convention Way, then a turn onto Harbor to Manchester, then pull into the new AGW Hub station, then the HoJo's stop, and then at Ball next to the Ball Road CM lot. This would give CM's three bus stops to choose from, and Disney could have CM Shuttle stops at the AGW or just Ball Road, depending on multiple factors.

That is an interesting thought about using GW. Wonder if all parties involved would go for it. You should pass this tidbit onto Disney if you haven't already.

Darkbeer1

That is an interesting thought about using GW. Wonder if all parties involved would go for it. You should pass this tidbit onto Disney if you haven't already.
Disney has nothing to do with it, except support it. The city, along with OCTA would be making the decision, as it isn't on Disney property.

This is what is confusing folks, Disney submitted plan only talks about its land on Manchester. What the city plans to do with the roads, sidewalks, crosswalks and traffic lights is not part of the review. The city's traffic department doesn't need approval, just the city council allowing the spending.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

wwhet.gif

And just like that...the Eastern Gateway is dead.
I have always thought that an additional parking structure adjacent to the current M&F structure was the smartest idea.

What does this spell for the future of Marvel-land???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom