New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Club Cooloholic

Again, I am calling out you and others trying to muddle your perception with operational specifics. If you’re going to keep throwing operational impacts at people expressing concern or disappointment about the situation then that should be a sincere understanding of those impacts and not just your feelings. Lots of people refer to all colas (and some even all sodas) as “Coke” but if you’re adjusting a soda fountain to have the proper syrup to water ratio then it actually is important to know whether or not you are dealing with Coke or Pepsi or even a root beer. “We just just call it all Coke” isn’t actually useful information.

A virtual queue is a system that allows people to wait elsewhere. FastPass, FastPass+, Genie+ and Virtual Queues (Boarding Groups) are all virtual queue systems. At Universal the TapuTapu system at Volcano Bay is a virtual queue. The big problem with these systems (as best demonstrated by Volcano Bay when it opened) is the problem of people no longer physically occupying queues. People are effectively in multiple places at once created increased crowding. This is all compounded when you introduce simultaneous virtual queuing (multiple selections), something that Disney just so happens is reintroducing in the near future. There are though tools available to help shape and control demand.

Skip the line systems let the guest skip the wait. Disney’s VIP tours offer line skipping. GAC at the end offered line skipping. Universal’s ExpressPass offers this. These services command top dollar not only because they eliminate waiting, but because they have an even bigger operational impact and supply must be limited. There are very few limits on the capacity they can consume. This is why Universal excludes new marquee attractions from ExpressPass.

That people return using certain lines is completely irrelevant. Many parks offer both virtual queues and skip the line systems that share attraction access. That Disney has also used the language of line skipping to create a sense of value is also irrelevant. It’s marketing, not operations.

DAS is not a line skipping system. How it impacts the parks is not the same and does not scale the same as a line skipping system. Letting people leave a queue and return is also a virtual queue implementation.

If you don’t care about that then be honest and say you don’t actually care about the operational impacts and stop trying to use your feelings to shame and denigrate others.
If one reads what is being written, the only people I have seen insulting or trying to shame people, seem to be those who feel entitled to DAS and yet maybe fear losing it, and it has led them to write things...like you have been writing to me and others. We have presented facts, you have presented your narrow interpretation, based mainly on your feelings, your personal specific interpretation and seem to want to argue semantics.

lazyboy97o

If one reads what is being written, the only people I have seen insulting or trying to shame people, seem to be those who feel entitled to DAS and yet maybe fear losing it, and it has led them to write things...like you have been writing to me and others. We have presented facts, you have presented your narrow interpretation, based mainly on your feelings, your personal specific interpretation and seem to want to argue semantics.
You specifically, along with others, have repeatedly tried to deny agency to people with disabilities. People routinely discount the challenges people face and insinuated that they are exaggerating or faking. GI and mental health issues in particular seem to be dismissed out of hand. People have been routinely questioned about their conditions and why they even go to the parks. Just going on about people being afraid of losing DAS is itself an attempt at shame that often comes along with calling people selfish that completely misses that some of us do not use DAS.

I do not use DAS. I have had experience with conditions that might have previously qualified me that people have routinely mocked and dismissed. Thankfully I do not foresee that part of my life recurring. What I do do almost every day is deal with access and compliance with relevant legislation. I want to argue semantics because that’s actually where the facts you claim to be interested lie and become incredibly important.

TrainsOfDisney

I do not use DAS either, my mother has health concerns and avoids crowds as much as possible at Disney and despite members saying “if you don’t like crowds don’t go to Disney” we are able to visit and do fine.

I do sympathize with those who have issues and are trying to have the best possible time at Disney.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Again, I am calling out you and others trying to muddle your perception with operational specifics. If you’re going to keep throwing operational impacts at people expressing concern or disappointment about the situation then that should be a sincere understanding of those impacts and not just your feelings. Lots of people refer to all colas (and some even all sodas) as “Coke” but if you’re adjusting a soda fountain to have the proper syrup to water ratio then it actually is important to know whether or not you are dealing with Coke or Pepsi or even a root beer. “We just just call it all Coke” isn’t actually useful information.

A virtual queue is a system that allows people to wait elsewhere. FastPass, FastPass+, Genie+ and Virtual Queues (Boarding Groups) are all virtual queue systems. At Universal the TapuTapu system at Volcano Bay is a virtual queue. The big problem with these systems (as best demonstrated by Volcano Bay when it opened) is the problem of people no longer physically occupying queues. People are effectively in multiple places at once created increased crowding. This is all compounded when you introduce simultaneous virtual queuing (multiple selections), something that Disney just so happens is reintroducing in the near future. There are though tools available to help shape and control demand.

Skip the line systems let the guest skip the wait. Disney’s VIP tours offer line skipping. GAC at the end offered line skipping. Universal’s ExpressPass offers this. These services command top dollar not only because they eliminate waiting, but because they have an even bigger operational impact and supply must be limited. There are very few limits on the capacity they can consume. This is why Universal excludes new marquee attractions from ExpressPass.

That people return using certain lines is completely irrelevant. Many parks offer both virtual queues and skip the line systems that share attraction access. That Disney has also used the language of line skipping to create a sense of value is also irrelevant. It’s marketing, not operations.

DAS is not a line skipping system. How it impacts the parks is not the same and does not scale the same as a line skipping system. Letting people leave a queue and return is also a virtual queue implementation.

If you don’t care about that then be honest and say you don’t actually care about the operational impacts and stop trying to use your feelings to shame and denigrate others.
VIP is not a line skip. Even at those extravagant prices line skip is not a given.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/private-vip-tours/
“The ability to enjoy some of your favorite attractions efficiently through most Lightning Lane entrances”
If it’s very popular or new WDW makes a point of VIPs not skipping everyone else (there’s some crazy next level extremely expensive version that’s not widely advertised that does offer line skip, but it’s well over 5 figures and meant for multi-millionaires aka super duper extra rich). They have to wait for FoP, 7DMT, GotG and many more. If LL is backed up 40+ minutes then the ‘plaid’ families are waiting too.

To be completely honest about differences LL and DAS:
LL could also use standby
DAS could also use LL and standby.

Why did/does that matter? DAS held the potential to accomplish more than any other method alone OR with possible options.

Somebody using DAS for 4 hours in the parks could potentially do more than LL, standby, or a combo of LL/standby doing 4 hours in the park. If you change that time to 1.5hrs, 7 hrs, 14hrs… it doesn’t matter. DAS had the potential to experience more in the parks than other methods.

I think it could be disputed if that was intended or OK or whatever. I do not think the potential can be disputed. There was a difference. It was not insignificant.

TrainsOfDisney

If it’s very popular or new WDW makes a point of VIPs not skipping everyone else (there’s some crazy next level extremely expensive version that’s not widely advertised that does offer line skip, but it’s well over 5 figures and meant for multi-millionaires aka super duper extra rich).
Even then there can be limits, I was with a true VIP tour at Universal shortly after Gringotts opened and our guide couldn’t help us. (Not a paid tour, I was the guest of a very legit VIP). Now to be fair, I asked about Gringotts, not the VIP cause his kids cared more about the stuff in islands of adventure haha. If he had asked she may have been able to pull a few strings with the bank tellers haha.

C33Mom

Why did/does that matter? DAS held the potential to accomplish more than any other method alone OR with possible options.

Somebody using DAS for 4 hours in the parks could potentially do more than LL, standby, or a combo of LL/standby doing 4 hours in the park. If you change that time to 1.5hrs, 7 hrs, 14hrs… it doesn’t matter. DAS had the potential to experience more in the parks than other methods.

I think it could be disputed if that was intended or OK or whatever. I do not think the potential can be disputed. There was a difference. It was not insignificant.
I think this point is under appreciated but it’s extremely important because the potential is how it actually worked almost every time for misusers and outright abusers — and when it is such a huge advantage (I think it might actually be on par with VIP total ride count when combined with G+) and Disney is totally unwilling to commit the resources to distinguish between people who actually need it, people who probably don’t need it most of the time, and the people who were outright faking it, suddenly a huge chunk of CMs and APs and DVC members end up using it and LLs end up no longer being accessible for folks who need them.

lazyboy97o

VIP is not a line skip. Even at those extravagant prices line skip is not a given.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/private-vip-tours/
“The ability to enjoy some of your favorite attractions efficiently through most Lightning Lane entrances”
If it’s very popular or new WDW makes a point of VIPs not skipping everyone else (there’s some crazy next level extremely expensive version that’s not widely advertised that does offer line skip, but it’s well over 5 figures and meant for multi-millionaires aka super duper extra rich). They have to wait for FoP, 7DMT, GotG and many more. If LL is backed up 40+ minutes then the ‘plaid’ families are waiting too.

To be completely honest about differences LL and DAS:
LL could also use standby
DAS could also use LL and standby.

Limits or using a shared access point don’t change how the system works where it is offered.

All sorts of accommodations have the potential to be preferential. There are posts on this board of people complaining about people with mobility devices getting loaded first onto buses because they weren’t actually first in line.

Potential abuse though is usually not considered a criteria for not offering an accommodation. Nor does it really mean a whole lot. But focusing on the potential and exaggerating it makes it easier to discount the needs and concerns of others.

CampbellzSoup

Limits or using a shared access point don’t change how the system works where it is offered.

All sorts of accommodations have the potential to be preferential. There are posts on this board of people complaining about people with mobility devices getting loaded first onto buses because they weren’t actually first in line.

Potential abuse though is usually not considered a criteria for not offering an accommodation. Nor does it really mean a whole lot. But focusing on the potential and exaggerating it makes it easier to discount the needs and concerns of others.

The bus issue is huge. I understand you need to be accommodated to get on first, but your whole family of 12 doesn’t have to skip the line while we wait. I routinely missed the bus I while waiting close to the front in line for because of this nonsense. I never use the bus system after that.

Chi84

Premium Member

In this case, the potential for abuse weighs heavily on whether the accommodation would fundamentally alter the service provided to all guests. So it means a lot.

lazyboy97o

In this case, the potential for abuse weighs heavily on whether the accommodation would fundamentally alter the service provided to all guests. So it means a lot.
Not when you’re repeatedly exaggerating that potential by using language that describes something else. Even you keep pointing to GAC as a reference point of usage.

There are also a variety of tools available to manage systems that don’t just rely on denial.

Chi84

Premium Member
Not when you’re repeatedly exaggerating that potential by using language that describes something else. Even you keep pointing to GAC as a reference point of usage.

There are also a variety of tools available to manage systems that don’t just rely on denial.
I’m not exaggerating or mischaracterizing anything. You can see from the posts here and on other sites that Disney was having a problem with DAS being abused/overused.

Please don’t make this personal against me. I’m not seeing much support for your position.

TrainsOfDisney

Potential for abuse can not be used as a reason to not allow disabled guests to purchase handicap seats at shows. not a direct comparison but the closest we have I think.

lazyboy97o

I’m not exaggerating or mischaracterizing anything. You can see from the posts here and on other sites that Disney was having a problem with DAS being abused/overused.

Please don’t make this personal against me. I’m not seeing much support for your position.
Repeatedly referring to the usage statistics in A.L. is exaggerating. That was a different system that operated differently. DAS does not allow that sort of usage.

Chi84

Premium Member
Repeatedly referring to the usage statistics in A.L. is exaggerating. That was a different system that operated differently. DAS does not allow that sort of usage.
It’s the only case dealing with line accommodation so it’s relevant even though the systems are not the same.

The fact that DAS is different doesn’t mean it can’t be abused. Disney is literally selling a system that isn’t as good. Of course there’s a potential for abuse.

lazyboy97o

It’s the only case dealing with line accommodation so it’s relevant even though the systems are not the same.

The fact that DAS is different doesn’t mean it can’t be abused. Disney is literally selling a system that isn’t as good. Of course there’s a potential for abuse.
It’s not relevant to the extent of usage because it cannot be used the same.

That Disney decided to start selling a crappy product is not the fault of persons in need of accommodation. It’s also a product that increases such need and is part of a larger set of decisions that intentionally increased wait times. Those are choices that Disney made and we don’t have to just pretend that they are some immutable constant that Disney cannot otherwise address even if they can get legal approval.

The are situations where accommodations are required to offer what is often a better product. People get stuck with lousy and obstructed views in theaters but accessible seating has sight line requirements not required of other seats. Contemporary hotel design often results in larger bathrooms if not larger rooms for mobility access, features that would otherwise be sold at a premium. Closer parking is sold at a premium. We just had the better bus service complaint and Disney does have a paid premium transportation service that’s less desirable if you get priority boarding and a seat on the bus.

Chi84

Premium Member
It’s not relevant to the extent of usage because it cannot be used the same.

That Disney decided to start selling a crappy product is not the fault of persons in need of accommodation. It’s also a product that increases such need and is part of a larger set of decisions that intentionally increased wait times. Those are choices that Disney made and we don’t have to just pretend that they are some immutable constant that Disney cannot otherwise address even if they can get legal approval.

The are situations where accommodations are required to offer what is often a better product. People get stuck with lousy and obstructed views in theaters but accessible seating has sight line requirements not required of other seats. Contemporary hotel design often results in larger bathrooms if not larger rooms for mobility access, features that would otherwise be sold at a premium. Closer parking is sold at a premium. We just had the better bus service complaint and Disney does have a paid premium transportation service that’s less desirable if you get priority boarding and a seat on the bus.
I’m not sure how helpful it is to talk in terms of fault. It seems that GAC and now DAS offered a better accommodation than what they are now offering.

The ultimate goal is to have society as a whole become more accessible so the disabled are able to have access without being segregated. That’s probably Disney’s thinking in improving the return to queue system so no one is excluded.

Chi84

Premium Member
I meant the fact that fastpass was free was relevant to the case. Now that there isn’t a free option would likewise be relevant in a case.
That’s true. A paid option would be relevant. Now Disney’s business model is to sell access to the LLs to both disabled and non disabled guests. I don’t believe that’s going to weigh in favor of DAS like accommodations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom