New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Touchdown

Sorry this is a little early today, but I won’t be available at 12:30 and this is the closest I could get. It looks to be another lighter day for rides with over 60 min waits, but busier then yesterday:

IMG_5630.jpeg

Fido Chuckwagon

Sorry this is a little early today, but I won’t be available at 12:30 and this is the closest I could get. It looks to be another lighter day for rides with over 60 min waits, but busier then yesterday:

View attachment 795604
Having just been there for a week, the real improvement is in the LL availability and the LL backups. I went the same week last year and it was night and day. Not a single backed up lightning lane entrance. The LL’s felt eerily empty as we walked through them. Also noticed that the peoplemover line never stopped moving and the posted 20 minute wait was actually around 9 minutes, likely because the cast members didn’t have to keep stopping the line to scan people and let them jump in front of it (which invariable leads to some empty vehicles being dispatched).

Really a win win win for everyone involved. Those who actually need DAS now don’t have to worry about backed up LL’s that might cause them an issue, and those who could have made do with a less generous accommodation should find a decent experience with G+ and the new multipass system (as should everyone else).

I also wonder if Disney is estimating even higher than normal when posting their standby waits because they’re still baking in too much DAS / LL usage. The waits we actually did stand in were far shorter than posted (even more than usual).

I got a post-trip survey and was sure to let them know in the general field for more comments after a question about LL usage/crowd levels that I appreciated that they had fixed this issue.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think that it is fair to say the the old GAC system was a true skip the line accommodation. It was where you just walked up to the ride and got right on. What DAS does is still have you wait, and then go through the LL. People still waited their turn and then waited in the LL line. So it is really is not a true skip the line accommodation. You can't say that both GAC and DAS were skip the line, when clearly they are not the same.
And anyone that is not familiar with how DAS works, if they hear "skip the line", they absolutely will think of how GAC worked, not how DAS works. So we can pretend all that we want that they are the same, but they are not.
We went through all that earlier in the thread. No one in this discussion is confused and i doubt anyone else is either.

TrojanUSC

It's funny that people keep talking about "abuse" but so many don't want to acknowledge the fact that many, if not most, of the people who had DAS previously really didn't need. Sure, they may have a disability, but not all disabilities require a DAS to accommodate.

So no, it wasn't just abuse, it was overuse. And yes, I know that the usual suspects will pop in say "why do you keep bringing up overuse???" Easy...because the loudest complainers about the changes keep acting like overuse wasn't an issue.

Exactly. People with IBS, POTS, anxiety and a host of other conditions don't need DAS. They need, if nothing else, the ability to tend to their disability should the need arise. The new service offerings do that. Sure, it's not as easy or convenient as DAS was, but when 70% of the Lightning Lane was DAS users and their guests, there was a real problem - as it was making the people who had no other viable accommodation outside of DAS (and those who paid for the Genie+ service) have a materially worse experience with the backed up LLs.

NotTheOne

I think that it is fair to say the the old GAC system was a true skip the line accommodation. It was where you just walked up to the ride and got right on. What DAS does is still have you wait, and then go through the LL. People still waited their turn and then waited in the LL line. So it is really is not a true skip the line accommodation. You can't say that both GAC and DAS were skip the line, when clearly they are not the same.
And anyone that is not familiar with how DAS works, if they hear "skip the line", they absolutely will think of how GAC worked, not how DAS works. So we can pretend all that we want that they are the same, but they are not.
No, for most users the GAC was not a walk up and get on the ride - it was a walk straight into the FP line without having to wait for a return time. And you are correct, DAS and GAC are not the same.

But all of your word salad aside, the fact is that DAS users skip the standby line...they don't skip the wait, but they skip the line.

TrainsOfDisney

Having just been there for a week, the real improvement is in the LL availability and the LL backups. I went the same week last year and it was night and day. Not a single backed up lightning lane entrance. The LL’s felt eerily empty as we walked through them.
Not saying this will happen, but how would you feel if the line and availability becomes the same after the upcoming LL changes?

TrainsOfDisney

We went through all that earlier in the thread. No one in this discussion is confused and i doubt anyone else is either.
It was a good clarification - just because something was said 100 pages ago doesn’t mean it can’t be repeated as a reminder.

I’m still not entirely sure what the actual Disney definition of RTQ etc. is.

ConfettiCupcake

Not saying this will happen, but how would you feel if the line and availability becomes the same after the upcoming LL changes?

If true that LL availability is improved right now from 1-2 months ago, just my guess but I’d expect that to feel different once the new multipass system comes into play. I think thats one of the reasons why the DAS changes needed to happen first. I think they couldn’t effectively offer prebooks and still have some amount of day of availability otherwise. I still think that overall more LL return times circulating for the guests is good for everyone.

I do think that LL return lines will stay relatively controlled.

Splash4eva

That can depend on the lot and its configuration. There are premium spaces at Magic Kingdom that are closer to the Transportation and Ticket Center than some of the accessible spaces.
I havent parked in MK parking lot at TTC in a few years but the ones in HS,AK & EC are right up front literally…. Off memory tho MK TTC was closer as well

jaklgreen

It's funny that people keep talking about "abuse" but so many don't want to acknowledge the fact that many, if not most, of the people who had DAS previously really didn't need. Sure, they may have a disability, but not all disabilities require a DAS to accommodate.

So no, it wasn't just abuse, it was overuse. And yes, I know that the usual suspects will pop in say "why do you keep bringing up overuse???" Easy...because the loudest complainers about the changes keep acting like overuse wasn't an issue.
Who said that over use wasn't an issue? I agree that having groups of 6+ was too much. I agree that being able to go on other rides was a good deal. But again, they could have easily countered that without cutting most people out of DAS. And for what it's worth, not all of us did those things. I never went on anything else while waiting for my return time because it didn't seem right. I am limited on what I can go on anyway.

jaklgreen

That is not true at all. I have been a part of a few DAS groups over the last few years and a LOT of people where confused about how DAS worked. Many did believe that it was a true skip the line accommodation. You keep saying the same thing doesn't make it true. Just like how people keep bringing up the lawsuit about GAC as if those abuse numbers are valid with DAS. Clearly they are not since they are 2 totally different services.

jaklgreen

Exactly. People with IBS, POTS, anxiety and a host of other conditions don't need DAS. They need, if nothing else, the ability to tend to their disability should the need arise. The new service offerings do that. Sure, it's not as easy or convenient as DAS was, but when 70% of the Lightning Lane was DAS users and their guests, there was a real problem - as it was making the people who had no other viable accommodation outside of DAS (and those who paid for the Genie+ service) have a materially worse experience with the backed up LLs.
How do you know what those people need? You are not in their bodies to know how things work. Why do some of you make such generalized statements like this when you know nothing about people's lives? Sure, some will do fine on the new system, but you can't make a blanket statement like that. That is like saying everyone with Autism needs DAS when we know that is not true.

jaklgreen

No, for most users the GAC was not a walk up and get on the ride - it was a walk straight into the FP line without having to wait for a return time. And you are correct, DAS and GAC are not the same.

But all of your word salad aside, the fact is that DAS users skip the standby line...they don't skip the wait, but they skip the line.
Word salad? Did you not comprehend what I was saying? Because others had no issue understanding me. And no, GAC absolutely was go strait to the ride for most. Remember, GAC was around long before FP was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom