New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

Is there some reason they can't try the other accommodations?
Nobody is saying that some can't try. But reality is that there absolutely will be people where going into the line and then trying to get out after waiting 15,20+ minutes is not going to work. People on ECVs or wheelchairs for example. We all know that most queues are very narrow and trying to get out quickly, because you are having a medical issue, trying to past others ECVs, is not reasonable. Even trying to get past people when you are mobile is not easy.

DoubleSwitchback

Of course, the script-sharing sites say success comes from emphasizing your symptoms, and being careful not to mention your diagnosis. So while they (in theory) can prove you never had a formal diagnosis, how can they prove you lied about symptoms?

Dranth

Nobody is saying that some can't try. But reality is that there absolutely will be people where going into the line and then trying to get out after waiting 15,20+ minutes is not going to work. People on ECVs or wheelchairs for example. We all know that most queues are very narrow and trying to get out quickly, because you are having a medical issue, trying to past others ECVs, is not reasonable. Even trying to get past people when you are mobile is not easy.
Many LL lines have a wait over 15-20 minutes, how do people having medical emergencies leave those?

Also, I would argue that most lines you don't have to go very far before reaching an area that would be easy to exit. For example, many of the older rides have the LL right next to standby separated by a chain. When I have to leave, I just undo the chain and exit through the LL.

I know that is not every attraction but that is likely the reason Disney is telling people to ask at each attraction. Each will have its own best way.

DoubleSwitchback

Are these sites telling people what to say too?
Oh yes. It's probably against the rules to post screenshots here, but I'm not being flippant when I call them script sharing groups. Imagine narratives, complete with fill in the blanks.

And these are not people who consider themselves cheaters...

eta: Like I said awhile back, DAS groups on FB are really toxic places.

Touchdown

Happy Tuesday, it seems to be the day everyone wanted to go to AK today. It’s rough there, elsewhere not too bad. Even with Tiana and Tron both being down MK has no lines above 60 min.

IMG_5634.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

Did anyone mention this lifetime ban for lying?
i don’t see that being enforced except for really strange cases like the tour guides.

How do you prove someone lied? Are they gonna take disabled guests to court? Or does Disney get to be the judge and jury and just declare “liar”?

DisneyCane

i don’t see that being enforced except for really strange cases like the tour guides.

How do you prove someone lied? Are they gonna take disabled guests to court? Or does Disney get to be the judge and jury and just declare “liar”?
Disney gets to be the judge and jury if they want to as long as they aren't banning based on race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, etc. They can ban me because they didn't like the face I made at Pluto when he passed by.

In reality, I'm sure that they emphasized that rule to aim it at the tour guides. That, and as a little bit of a deterrent for frequent visitors and passholders.

NotTheOne

Yes, Disney does get to be judge and jury in this case.

Someone who is banned could certainly sue, and if they had their annual pass nullified and weren't lying, they probably would.

Club Cooloholic

It could at least be used for some tik tokers, but I agree they don't want to deal with the legality of it, I'm sure. But, I think if the policy was a bit more pronounced at the park and when people are attempting to get it, you might cut down on some folks even attempting it if they have no conditions.

C33Mom

I was called an ableist and kicked out because I didn’t agree with sharing information on how people got approved either. So this is not surprising but it sucks because we will end up right back to where we were before…
I think Disney will shut the entire DAS program down before they will let it get back to where it was 2 months ago. They could switch to AQR requiring an approval call (maybe some groups getting approved for RTQ that would still require in person RTQ requests) and nothing else available in advance if enough people start calling in with the right script.

flynnibus

Premium Member

They don’t have to prove anything- it’s a choice they can make at their sole discretion.

They would have be at risk of a lawsuit if they errored but it takes resources to fight it.

NotTheOne

I think Disney will shut the entire DAS program down before they will let it get back to where it was 2 months ago. They could switch to AQR requiring an approval call (maybe some groups getting approved for RTQ that would still require in person RTQ requests) and nothing else available in advance if enough people start calling in with the right script.
Agree 100%. In fact, I've wondered if that shouldn't go that way anyway...offer rider switch (at both parks), and AQR. Keep the phone calls, but the point would be that only situations where AQR or rider switch wouldn't work - solo travelers, single adult with all kids, disabled person & caregiver, etc. - could have an approval for RTQ in their app and then request it at each ride.

C33Mom

Agree 100%. In fact, I've wondered if that shouldn't go that way anyway...offer rider switch (at both parks), and AQR. Keep the phone calls, but the point would be that only situations where AQR or rider switch wouldn't work - solo travelers, single adult with all kids, disabled person & caregiver, etc. - could have an approval for RTQ in their app and then request it at each ride.
We’ll see what happens— I hope for the sake of severely disabled guests that they don’t scrap DAS entirely and ex-DAS people refrain from exaggerating and faking to get back in the DAS system, but if they don’t, Disney will be able to argue that they tried to preserve the system in a way that didn’t impact operations but then an avalanche of new requests came in off shared scripts for severe autism, which will further justify (to a judge) scrapping any type of complimentary line skip program under the standards set in prior cases.

NotTheOne

We’ll see what happens— I hope for the sake of severely disabled guests that they don’t scrap DAS entirely and ex-DAS people refrain from exaggerating and faking to get back in the DAS system, but if they don’t, Disney will be able to argue that they tried to preserve the system in a way that didn’t impact operations but then an avalanche of new requests came in off shared scripts for severe autism, which will further justify (to a judge) scrapping any type of complimentary line skip program under the standards set in prior cases.
Disney has to accommodate without forcing the disabled to pay for it, but it wouldn't have to be DAS.

jennab55

Sadly I think some would prefer that. They lose access so anyone else should too…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom