New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrainsOfDisney

I think there will be a legal standard set within the next few years.

In all honesty I think the phone call interview alone would fail ADA if taken to court as well as Guest Relations not being able to answer ADA questions on specific attractions.

Also… this is why the ADA exists - so large corporations can’t just make up rules.

C33Mom

Disney has to accommodate without forcing the disabled to pay for it, but it wouldn't have to be DAS.
Yes, completely agree. That’s what they are currently testing out with AQR.
Thank you for that. 🙏
I feel strongly about it, which is why I really hope Disney does crack down and make an example of some liars soon. They have enough data that they could identify the most egregious cases if they wanted to— a few people losing access to the parks for a decade would really deter people who might otherwise justify lying about the severity of their needs.

JGamer

I think there will be a legal standard set within the next few years.

In all honesty I think the phone call interview alone would fail ADA if taken to court as well as Guest Relations not being able to answer ADA questions on specific attractions.

Also… this is why the ADA exists - so large corporations can’t just make up rules.
The standard has already been set. They have to provide accomodations unless it impacts their normal business operations.

They now have 10s of thousands of not hundreds of thousands data points showing exactly how it has impacted their operations. Part of the reason they let this go on so long was to collect that data for future use.

I suspect these new rules are the last straw before they scrap the program, if the fraud gets out of hand again. I think they are mostly trying to do the right thing, but they are not going to let it run their business and the courts say they don't have to.

jaklgreen

Many LL lines have a wait over 15-20 minutes, how do people having medical emergencies leave those?

Also, I would argue that most lines you don't have to go very far before reaching an area that would be easy to exit. For example, many of the older rides have the LL right next to standby separated by a chain. When I have to leave, I just undo the chain and exit through the LL.

I know that is not every attraction but that is likely the reason Disney is telling people to ask at each attraction. Each will have its own best way.
People have had to leave the LL if it gets too long. This is not a secret. It seems that many of you are struggling to comprehend what people have to deal with. It is easy to sit back and say "just do this" but in reality, it is not so simple. You can say that about Autistic people, to just go wait in line until it gets "too much" and then just "easily" leave the line. But no one is saying that so why would you say that to people with other medical issues?

Club Cooloholic

People have had to leave the LL if it gets too long. This is not a secret. It seems that many of you are struggling to comprehend what people have to deal with. It is easy to sit back and say "just do this" but in reality, it is not so simple. You can say that about Autistic people, to just go wait in line until it gets "too much" and then just "easily" leave the line. But no one is saying that so why would you say that to people with other medical issues?
You seem to have an issue with severely autistic people having this accomodation. Your goal posts have certainly moved over the years.

jaklgreen

You seem to have an issue with severely autistic people having this accomodation. Your goal posts have certainly moved over the years.
No, I was proving a point that people don't know what it is like for those with disabilities so no one should be saying that "people will be fine with whatever accommodations Disney gives". Because with that theory, so should those with Autism. I was pointing out the hypocrisy. I don't know how you got that I have a problem with people with autism from what I am saying.

Club Cooloholic

No, the issue is that DAS accommodation is mostly being given to those with severe autism or similar.

That is not the issue.

The issue is other disabilities also have needs.
You don't understand the differences in who we are talking about? An adult woman with back issues can verbalize and knows when she needs to leave, she has agency over getting in the line in the first place. A severely autistic person going to parks with their family is in a entirely different situation, sometimes being unable to verbalize how they feel, their needs and how to react if a situation is overwhelming. It's not just about what is making someone comfortable it's about the guest's safety as well as those around them.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
You don't understand the differences in who we are talking about? An adult woman with back issues can verbalize and knows when she needs to leave, she has agency over getting in the line in the first place. A severely autistic person going to parks with their family is in a entirely different situation, sometimes being unable to verbalize how they feel, their needs and how to react if a situation is overwhelming. It's not just about what is making someone comfortable it's about the guest's safety as well as those around them.
This is the impression I got from the changes as well. The example of “developmental disability like autism or similar” made me think of: Low-functioning autism (LFA) is a degree of autism marked by difficulties with social communication and interaction, challenging behavior, and differences in social or emotional reciprocity. Sleep problems, aggression, stereotypical, and self-injurious behavior are also common symptoms.

It’s been speculated this example was given due to the GAS lawsuit, it also works to convey the set of ongoing challenges in every queue where DAS is surely suited. Most of have known or encountered LFA individuals. Those with low functioning autism symptoms might exhibit significant challenges in communication and social interaction, requiring dedicated support and interventions. It’s clear to see how that impacts standing in lines.

Comped

Just saw a post on social media - apparently Disney CM’s are recommending blind / visually impaired use wheelchairs?

Seems like a really strange accommodation.
That's... Absolutely idiotic. I could use other words, but I'd likely get banned over it. That's just not something that works, especially for solo travelers. I know it wouldn't work for me!

DoubleSwitchback

I think Disney will shut the entire DAS program down before they will let it get back to where it was 2 months ago. They could switch to AQR requiring an approval call (maybe some groups getting approved for RTQ that would still require in person RTQ requests) and nothing else available in advance if enough people start calling in with the right script.
I initially thought the same, but while they're not back to where it was (yet), they're definitely already slipping in a way that suggests they weren't that serious about change. To me, the DAS changes are starting to feel more like the claim you'll be banned if lying - something they publicize to hopefully discourage a few people, but not something they embrace and enforce.

Just call back and cry, and you'll still get DAS 🤷‍♂️

Angel Ariel

This is the impression I got from the changes as well. The example of “developmental disability like autism or similar” made me think of: Low-functioning autism (LFA) is a degree of autism marked by difficulties with social communication and interaction, challenging behavior, and differences in social or emotional reciprocity. Sleep problems, aggression, stereotypical, and self-injurious behavior are also common symptoms.

It’s been speculated this example was given due to the GAS lawsuit, it also works to convey the set of ongoing challenges in every queue where DAS is surely suited. Most of have known or encountered LFA individuals. Those with low functioning autism symptoms might exhibit significant challenges in communication and social interaction, requiring dedicated support and interventions. It’s clear to see how that impacts standing in lines

High support needs would be the appropriate descriptor that is not diagnosis-specific.

rk3668

That's... Absolutely idiotic. I could use other words, but I'd likely get banned over it. That's just not something that works, especially for solo travelers. I know it wouldn't work for me!
I agree it would not work for a solo traveler. But, if a vision problem makes it difficult for someone to walk through a line, why wouldn't being pushed through the line in a wheelchair help?

TrojanUSC

I initially thought the same, but while they're not back to where it was (yet), they're definitely already slipping in a way that suggests they weren't that serious about change. To me, the DAS changes are starting to feel more like the claim you'll be banned if lying - something they publicize to hopefully discourage a few people, but not something they embrace and enforce.

Just call back and cry, and you'll still get DAS 🤷‍♂️

Where are you seeing this? I haven't seen this at all. Just a lot of upset people with illnesses like anxiety, POTS, IBS where RTQ and AQR would work just fine being denied.

Comped

I agree it would not work for a solo traveler. But, if a vision problem makes it difficult for someone to walk through a line, why wouldn't being pushed through the line in a wheelchair help?
I'm not exactly light enough to be pushed by most people (or strong enough to push myself) - I don't use a wheelchair in my daily life, so it'd obviously be a huge difficulty for me to do so, as I have no experience using it. And using an ECV would be downright dangerous. My friends and family certainly couldn't push me, and I can otherwise walk... So it makes no sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom