New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

They certainly can. I think the issue is whether or not it is reasonable to visit a theme park in FL and expect the theme park operator to do something about the heat. Is that any different than someone with a physical disability that prevents them from being able to swing going to a beach and expecting the operator of the beach to give them a life jacket so they can go in the ocean?
Beaches are now beginning to provide accessible ramps and walkways to the beach along with beach wheelchairs available to rent, so not sure this is the argument you want to make.

Providing access to heated or air conditioned spaces to wait in line that the park already has in place is a reasonable accommodation for those with temperature issues (as temperature regulation disorders can be for both hot and cold).

Splash4eva

That's not at all like the scenario that another poster mentioned. In your case, you attempted to wait in line. The line was longer than posted so you got out when you needed to. I don't think anyone would begrudge you if you went to a CM and requested a DAS return time when you left the line. But as you admit, this is an infrequent occurrence and it was not the reason the other poster gave for using DAS for the short wait. They literally said they did it because the app wasn't coded to prevent it. There was no caveat of "Just to be safe in case the 25 minutes was really an hour."
Listen i understand what the other person posted but you see my point why choosing to wait willingly is not always the best option for someone with DAS …. Its like why take a chance. If wait times were accurate great but as i said its not a normal occurrence but its also not a one off either…. Its easy to criticize people who use DAS but i assure you those who legit need it would love to trade in any disability to be able to wait in a 60 minute line…

Splash4eva

What would the DAS accommodation be for philharmagic?

There’s no snake queues even requiring standing/moving…everyone is in a general room with space and “boarding” is everyone in 30 seconds…

Now do mine train
The accommodation literally would have been a 5 min wait which in theory is a walk on with the grace they give you… So yea i chose to “wait” instead of walking on and it bit me in the a$$….

natatomic

I can tell you for sure. Way more people think they have autism than really have it. Like less than half the people I do the testing on actually have it…
Is it also being over diagnosed? A adult in his mid-30s I personally know incredibly well was diagnosed with it a year or two ago, and when he told me and the other person in the room at a time, we both did a double take and said, “Really…?” I’m not going to go into personal details, but…it honestly seemed ridiculous. And knowing that, I can honestly see why Disney doesn’t need to give out a DAS pass to everyone who says they have autism, regardless of official diagnosis or not.

TrainsOfDisney

we both did a double take and said, “Really…?” I’m not going to go into personal details, but…it honestly seemed ridiculous.
It’s important to remember that there is no way that you know everything about another persons life - they may have unique struggles and challenges and do really well at hiding / overcoming those issues when out and about in life.

Angel Ariel

I don't take issue with Disney writing guides for accessibility and providing ideas.

I do take issue with people telling Disney their needs and Disney talking not about their own accommodations they provide, but telling (not asking) the person they should do x (like practice waiting in line at home, they should use noise cancelling headphones - both first hand reports I've seen). Telling, rather than asking (have you tried xyz accommodation), makes assumptions that aren't appropriate.

As someone else shared - these are things we deal with every day. I guarantee I've tried more things in more settings than any DAS representative or inspire health person employee would even think to ask, much less think to tell.

I'd like to think that would give me confidence that dd will still qualify for das, but reading the reports I have the last 2 days, i am much less assured despite her high support needs.

DisneyHead123

Is it also being over diagnosed? A adult in his mid-30s I personally know incredibly well was diagnosed with it a year or two ago, and when he told me and the other person in the room at a time, we both did a double take and said, “Really…?” I’m not going to go into personal details, but…it honestly seemed ridiculous. And knowing that, I can honestly see why Disney doesn’t need to give out a DAS pass to everyone who says they have autism, regardless of official diagnosis or not.
The thing about autism is that it is very much a spectrum, not a binary "you have it or you don't" situation. At one point on the spectrum you may have someone who is very classically autistic. At another you may have someone who is very classically "Asperger's" (although that's no longer an official term). But beyond that, you may have someone who in previous years might have been considered a bit eccentric overall, or someone who "had their quirks". Because it's a spectrum, many neurotypical people have some autistic traits to one degree or another (rigidity, sensory sensitivities, unusual attention to detail, etc.)

For the most part, it used to be that to be considered autistic a person had to have relatively impaired functioning in some way. Maybe just in the social realm, but there still had to be significant impairments. Now that people are embracing neurodiversity, the trend has been to include more people who might have been considered "quirky but otherwise successful" in the past under the autism umbrella. So people who wouldn't have been considered autistic 30 years ago may be considered autistic today.

I honestly don't think there's a right or wrong answer when it comes to where we draw the line in the sand between "autistic" and "neurotypical with a few traits associated with autism". To my mind it's a societal construct, wherever we say the line is at a given point in time, that's where it is in terms of semantics.

Patcheslee

The recommendations to practice waiting in line, visual routine, ect was at least in place since 2019. It's cited in a lawsuit
Screenshot_20240522_000033_Chrome.jpg

Vclguy90

The thing about autism is that it is very much a spectrum, not a binary "you have it or you don't" situation. At one point on the spectrum you may have someone who is very classically autistic. At another you may have someone who is very classically "Asperger's" (although that's no longer an official term). But beyond that, you may have someone who in previous years might have been considered a bit eccentric overall, or someone who "had their quirks". Because it's a spectrum, many neurotypical people have some autistic traits to one degree or another (rigidity, sensory sensitivities, unusual attention to detail, etc.)

For the most part, it used to be that to be considered autistic a person had to have relatively impaired functioning in some way. Maybe just in the social realm, but there still had to be significant impairments. Now that people are embracing neurodiversity, the trend has been to include more people who might have been considered "quirky but otherwise successful" in the past under the autism umbrella. So people who wouldn't have been considered autistic 30 years ago may be considered autistic today.

I honestly don't think there's a right or wrong answer when it comes to where we draw the line in the sand between "autistic" and "neurotypical with a few traits associated with autism". To my mind it's a societal construct, wherever we say the line is at a given point in time, that's where it is in terms of semantics.
This. And this is why I'm so baffled on how they are gonna measure this to distribute DAS and what qualifies the administrator as the judge of one's DAS.

DisneyHead123

This. And this is why I'm so baffled on how they are gonna measure this to distribute DAS and what qualifies the administrator as the judge of one's DAS.
Based on the few reports I’ve seen so far, it looks like they are denying DAS to those who are Level 1, particularly if they are adults. My guess is that they know this is going to end up in court, but Genie+ is so profitable that Disney is willing to go that route in an attempt to decrease DAS users in the LL.

Vclguy90

Based on the few reports I’ve seen so far, it looks like they are denying DAS to those who are Level 1, particularly if they are adults. My guess is that they know this is going to end up in court, but Genie+ is so profitable that Disney is willing to go that route in an attempt to decrease DAS users in the LL.
Oh really? What was Disney's reasonable accommodation for these folks? That's nuts and super unfortunate for those individuals.

DisneyHead123

Oh really? What was Disney's reasonable accommodation for these folks? That's nuts and super unfortunate for those individuals.
I’m extrapolating from a very small number of cases, so there may be a better picture with time… I didn’t read about other accommodations offered, just that DAS was not issued.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will say this, though I don't think that was their intent. I have dealt with a few CM's (some supervisors) in Town Hall question the severity of my disability to the point to where it was clear they had no idea what they were talking about and clearly had this obscured picture in their head of what my disability should look like. That is why I'm scratching my head on this whole reform.
Well last time I checked Disney emps weren’t required to complete a PhD in psychology to qualify for such a position at such a wage? 😎
Realistically if that were to happen idk what I would do. I would def push an entire refund on my vacation but who are we kidding. Having something you're used to accommodate you for the past 10+ years to seemingly nothing is jarring to me. I guess I will see in a few days.
But that’s not “faking” a disability. That’s not meeting a new criteria.

Faking is “Cindy at work just said say you have ADD…it’s great…”

And that is much more rampant than any reasonable human would have guessed. It’s rampant according to some reputable sources and outright theft.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Correct, people say it all the time with nothing to back it up.
This is a sensitive subject - obviously - but the root cause is the same.

Iger, Inc has intentionally rationed ride capacity to “create demand” and increase revenues since day 1.

The lines suck because there aren’t enough seats. It’s not that they are “withholding” much. You only have what you have

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom