New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disstevefan1

It's right on the Disney website, part of the accessibility and planning guide. It really reads like someone saying "no, you don't have xyz thing you just need to try harder" as if disabled folks aren't already doing that. It's the mental health equivalent of telling someone with a torn Achilles to just walk it off.
Here's my favorite tip -
1716325981099.png

This is a must do for all those folks who previously qualified for DAS and now do not!

Chip Chipperson

All people with disabilities have the right to dignity of risk - the right to determine what they are capable of doing/attempting with accommodations.
They certainly can. I think the issue is whether or not it is reasonable to visit a theme park in FL and expect the theme park operator to do something about the heat. Is that any different than someone with a physical disability that prevents them from being able to swing going to a beach and expecting the operator of the beach to give them a life jacket so they can go in the ocean?

Splash4eva

We've gone over this. There is no excuse for using DAS if you don't need it. You can tell yourself otherwise, but when another poster says they used it when they didn't need too simply because the app isn't programmed to stop them then that's not helping anyone's case when they are upset about the changes to DAS.

You keep harping on "show me where Disney says don't do this" because you know there is a difference between what is technically allowed and what the system is intended to do. It was never intended for "I don't feel like standing in line even though I'm capable of doing so." Jon Bon Jovi has some restaurants near me that have no menu prices. The idea behind the restaurant is that the needy can come in and get a meal while only paying what they can afford - and if they can't afford to pay at all then they pay nothing without any questions asked. Those who can pay for their meals do so knowing that the restaurant uses that money to cover the cost of the free meals. I fortunately don't need to get a free meal, so if I eat there I'm not going to say, "Well there's nothing saying I HAVE to pay, so I'm not going to." That would be abusing the spirit of the policy even though it doesn't violate the actual policy itself.
Just to shoot down your logic in an scenario that literally happened to me in November… as ive said if a wait is short ill walk on a ride with no problems at all. We went to see Philharmagic which had a 15 minute posted time 25 minutes later we still didnt get inside and probably were not gonna make next show either and guess what. Yes we had to exit the line. Granted this is far from the norm but just a reason why your logic is faulty to say the least…

Chi84

Premium Member
From what I've been seeing, I think Disney may be prepared to test whether the ADA requires access to its Lighting Lanes as a reasonable accommodation for a disability. And it may have a stronger case now that it's charging for that access.

Disney has a valuable (albeit crappy) product in Genie+/ILL that it is selling to everyone, disabled and non-disabled alike. This is now the way to access its Lightning Lanes and all guests who buy the service benefit from it. Everyone else is expected to use the standby lanes. With respect to disabled guests, Disney is required to honor any requests for a reasonable accommodation as long as it does not fundamentally alter the nature of their business.

I suspect Disney is going to argue that providing a valuable product (access to its LLs) free to a disabled person is not a reasonable accommodation and is at odds with its current business model. Given that the ADA says nothing about line accommodations, it may have a good argument.

I know the ADA says a business can't charge for a reasonable accommodation, but I'm not aware of any rulings that would require a business to provide free of charge something both non-disabled guests and disabled guests are paying for. I'm genuinely interested if someone knows of one.

haveyoumetmark

Just to shoot down your logic in an scenario that literally happened to me in November… as ive said if a wait is short ill walk on a ride with no problems at all. We went to see Philharmagic which had a 15 minute posted time 25 minutes later we still didnt get inside and probably were not gonna make next show either and guess what. Yes we had to exit the line. Granted this is far from the norm but just a reason why your logic is faulty to say the least…
What's ironic is that DAS returns have been causing this sort of issue for standby, so it's always better to be in the LL as it's usually the only line that moves.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What would the DAS accommodation be for philharmagic?

There’s no snake queues even requiring standing/moving…everyone is in a general room with space and “boarding” is everyone in 30 seconds…

Now do mine train

Disstevefan1

It's right on the Disney website, part of the accessibility and planning guide. It really reads like someone saying "no, you don't have xyz thing you just need to try harder" as if disabled folks aren't already doing that. It's the mental health equivalent of telling someone with a torn Achilles to just walk it off.
Oh, there looks be a late update to the Disabilities guide!
DAShelp.jpg

Chip Chipperson

That's not at all like the scenario that another poster mentioned. In your case, you attempted to wait in line. The line was longer than posted so you got out when you needed to. I don't think anyone would begrudge you if you went to a CM and requested a DAS return time when you left the line. But as you admit, this is an infrequent occurrence and it was not the reason the other poster gave for using DAS for the short wait. They literally said they did it because the app wasn't coded to prevent it. There was no caveat of "Just to be safe in case the 25 minutes was really an hour."

Happyday

They're treating those with disabilities like they're stupid. As if we don't or haven't already done these or at least some of them?
Like I haven't spent hours on the website looking at as much as I can, I have not poured over all the guides they provide, I have not looked at and used possible solutions to assist us, I really enjoy dealing with "meltdowns" even when we think we have things figured out🤦🏻‍♀️. If you knew how many hours I dedicate to "doing my homework"...

dreamfinder912

They're treating those with disabilities like they're stupid. As if we don't or haven't already done these or at least some of them?
Yeah like I'm disabled -always- not just in a theme park. The problems exist everywhere. I really don't think anyone involved in making that guide has ever considered that disability is more than just the high support needs young boy with violent meltdowns. Anything more than a stereotype is just a person not trying hard enough 🙄

Happyday

Yeah like I'm disabled -always- not just in a theme park. The problems exist everywhere. I really don't think anyone involved in making that guide has ever considered that disability is more than just the high support needs young boy with violent meltdowns. Anything more than a stereotype is just a person not trying hard enough 🙄
The sad part is I am starting to wonder if that high support needs young boy with violent meltdowns is even going to qualify. The parents just need to practice more with him🙄

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I don’t think everything in the guide is meant for everybody. It’s just some of the tips care providers have commonly shared over the years. The ‘practice standing in line’ sounds funny but I’ve seen discussions where people helped each other with that advice.

The message I’m getting from the details of DAS changes so far… sounds like Disney is trying to get some to meet them half way. That’s not for everybody but encouraged where applicable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom