New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Happyday

It’s more than just the liars

As has been repeated for months on this thread…Disney has to provide “access”…not “convenience”

Access means the ability to do things…it does not mean in comfort or at high volume.

Does that suck? Yeah. It does. But they are there to glean profit and the very accommodating disability programs is in clear conflict with that.

Doesn’t make them noble…kinda scummy actually…but also doesn’t make them wrong either. It’s good business. And it sucks.

I think a big issue here is the name. As in Disney was always out front on equal treatment and access issue for decades. It was something they are respected for…but wasn’t then guaranteed. This seems like “paradise lost” for many.

I love that they can be a “place for everyone”. But they reality is they are not. It’s huge and in a sauna…and the prices make it a pipe dream for 60% or more from THIS country and more like 90% around the world.

They’re not there to serve individual cup cakes or “magic”

And if you want that…you can pay $169.99 in Tomorrowland terrace and load up. 🧁
Okay I have a question. As someone who has never been to nor will ever go to Universal (we are limited in the type of rides we can ride) what does their accessible accommodations look like? Just trying to see the difference because everyone keeps saying Disney makes it so much easier. Before everyone answers I know about the IBCCES system because I looked into that when that was a possibility for Disney.

Communicora

Premium Member
Oh, there looks be a late update to the Disabilities guide!
View attachment 786825
I don't understand what is wrong with that statement in this context. People have consistently said DAS is not a skip the line accomodation so even if you have DAS there will often be some sort of line you have to wait in. It's good for people to be prepared for that eventuality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My impression is that a lot of people with social anxiety are misdiagnosed with autism.
Indeed.

I have one with the most clear cut (inherited) case of anxiety you will ever see. Classic signs/reactions.

But every teacher and half his doctors had him tested for spectrum. Over and over again. Nothing.

You can not be “boiler plate” and NOT have Aspergers…not really a hard concept.

ConfettiCupcake

If Disney would simply get rid of re rides or somehow find a way to cap them at 2 at different times along with the other changes in reducing party size and no more pre books would you say that it would help ease a ton of this pain?

The re ride thing seems to be a point of contention though because now you’re limiting access for those who actually require DAS for access in a way that the other park goers are not, since we can theoretically get in and out of the same standby line over and over for our entire day if we choose.

This seems like veering more towards adjusting the program to allow people to still use it as a consolation of sorts and to better their day, but not viewing it as access for each attraction for those who otherwise cannot which seems to be what Disney is leaning much more firmly into.

Chip Chipperson

Thank you…

That doesn’t seem out of line at all. They’re gonna slowly ramp up all ride Systems after 6-10 hours of down time

Nothing to see here
Especially a ride with Boarding Groups like Guardians. People might get an early Boarding Group but not arrive at the park until the tail end of it, so the first hour will always have fewer guests riding even if the VQ and ILL both sold out quickly. I'm sure Disney is aware of this and accounts for it.

Disstevefan1

This is such an overblown reaction to Disney putting good advice on their website for potentially first-time travelers who may not know what to expect coming to Disney.

Here’s a screenshot from @lentesta ‘s touring plans website trip planner:

View attachment 786849
That’s also good advice for those who may not realize how much walking there is at Disney. The first time I went to WDW my wife and I actually followed this advice, and it was good advice! Do you think touringplans deserves your ire here? Because if you don’t, neither does Disney.
Practice waiting in line is a very funny one. "You don't have any limitations, you just did not practice waiting in line enough."

Start a walking regimen I KNOW CANT apply for MANY folks who previously qualified for DAS and now do not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The re ride thing seems to be a point of contention though because now you’re limiting access for those who actually require DAS for access in a way that the other park goers are not, since we can theoretically get in and out of the same standby line over and over for our entire day if we choose.

This seems like veering more towards adjusting the program to allow people to still use it as a consolation of sorts and to better their day, but not viewing it as access for each attraction for those who otherwise cannot which seems to be what Disney is leaning much more firmly into.

Correct. But the reality is that they can’t really accommodate rerides for anyone. Of course it happens…but what percentage?

Not much under the reign of Emperor Bob. Just listen to conversations in passing…you’ll hear “we didn’t do THAT yet” or “we still have to go back to ____”

That’s a far cry from “again!” Out of the line dump in yesteryears.

The mentality has changed…the effect of constricted capacity

Now weirdos go on boards of tales of “14 fastpasses”…but not standard

Those are also the people sprinting to FOP or Mine train and think Everest is “extreme” 😳

Big ole block of salt there

Splash4eva

I get the re ride thing is an issue BUT here is my response to that… would you rather still have DAS access and limited to 1 ride per attraction or lose it all? Seems like a simple answer if it was up to me… so yea maybe it is not identical BUT still better than the current alternative people are facing

Splash4eva

The only thing that will help this and all of their park flow problems is more capacity. More ride seats…more diversions without lines…more entertainment…more attractive dining to pull people out of queues.

Anything else is moving deck chairs.

The general public doesn’t get re-rides with any regularity anyway…which is why it’s banned from Genie and ILL

just not enough spots to move people around. And DAS is a pressure point…but wouldn’t solve the issue.
Well i think this is one thing everyone will agree in is capacity is and always will be the issue.

ConfettiCupcake

Correct. But the reality is that they can’t really accommodate rerides for anyone. Of course it happens…but what percentage?

Not much under the reign of Emperor Bob. Just listen to conversations in passing…you’ll hear “we didn’t do THAT yet” or “we still have to go back to ____”

That’s a far cry from “again!” Out of the line dump in yesteryears.

The mentality has changed…the effect of constricted capacity

Now weirdos go on boards of tales of “14 fastpasses”…but not standard

Those are also the people sprinting to FOP or Mine train and think Everest is “extreme” 😳

Big ole block of salt there

I’ll be telling stories at the nursing home that sound made up…“back in my day, I used to ride Flight of Passage over and over by using refresh… for free!”

ConfettiCupcake

I get the re ride thing is an issue BUT here is my response to that… would you rather still have DAS access and limited to 1 ride per attraction or lose it all? Seems like a simple answer if it was up to me… so yea maybe it is not identical BUT still better than the current alternative people are facing

I just think Disney is really drilling down here figuring out who needs a DAS like system to access these attractions period, and not whose overall day is made easier by having X number of DAS like entries in their arsenal. Of course that’s better than nothing, but I’m not sure that’s the angle Disney is looking at it from, because they’re providing access on an attraction by attraction basis they’re not providing an easier day.

I think this is why we’re seeing a heavier emphasis on the front line CMs. DAS is for those who need it at all attractions all or most of the time, other accommodations are for those who need in some scenarios and not others.

Chip Chipperson

That absolutely has happened and multiple times. All of the comments questioning whether people should even visit Walt Disney World are criticisms of people who need DAS. Just because it’s couched in “just asking questions” doesn’t make it go away.

Same goes for crap like calling people narcissists for being concerns about their next visit. Or prodding about needs.
Maybe I should have said that I specifically am not criticizing people who legitimately need DAS, nor are the vast majority of posters in this thread.

I understand why people are frustrated and upset at the thought of losing their DAS access. I also understand that there have been many examples given showing that not everyone getting DAS actually needs it. We've had people complaining that people with what would be commonly referred to as "mild" autism are being denied when that is the level most likely to be able to handle and accept waiting in line. I have a family member whose case is more severe than that (will never be able to live alone or work more than a low-wage unskilled labor type of job) who would have no issues waiting in line. Might complain, but who doesn't at some point in a 60-minute line?

We've seen people go to the media with complaints only to reveal themselves in photos that prove they didn't actually need DAS for their condition.

So I do understand the frustration people are feeling, but not every discussion is a personal attack and it shouldn't be treated as "citing that person's admitted behavior is an attack on ME!" Disney is still trying to accommodate guests with disabilities - just not in the way some are used to. They are trying to address needs instead of desires and change like that will be met with resistance every time. Had Disney done a better job of enforcing its own policy consistently over the years since DAS rolled out then there might not be an issue now because most guests would be used to it. But they didn't, so this is new and upsetting to people now instead of say 10 years ago.

Happyday

I understand what you are saying and we do not re-ride because it doesn't fit into our situation however if you have a child (sometimes adult but that is a bit more uncommon) with sensory seeking behaviors you can occasionally get extra time between rides but they will undoubtedly still perseverate on it. Not to mention limiting it would be a hard one to say is "equal access". Not saying it is or is not a good idea just giving some thoughts.

mhumphr6

Has anyone had any experience yet for what Disney is doing with environmental allergy anaphylaxis and DAS? My wife has had DAS for years for this and wondering if it’s worth doing the video chat. She goes into anaphylaxis if someone has taken any THC product (even if it was hours before they go to the park) and has had a reaction in the parks before which is crazy being in a queue line. Not sure how return to line or ride swap would work cause it’s not like I would tell her to deal with her reaction herself so that I could save out space in line for space mountain haha

Splash4eva

I just think Disney is really drilling down here figuring out who needs a DAS like system to access these attractions period, and not whose overall day is made easier by having X number of DAS like entries in their arsenal. Of course that’s better than nothing, but I’m not sure that’s the angle Disney is looking at it from, because they’re providing access on an attraction by attraction basis they’re not providing an easier day.

I think this is why we’re seeing a heavier emphasis on the front line CMs. DAS is for those who need it at all attractions all or most of the time, other accommodations are for those who need in some scenarios and not others.
Okay so then call it the way it is (not you personally) this is another way to make money. Simple as that because honestly there are and were plenty of options other than the nuclear one they chose…

Splash4eva

I understand what you are saying and we do not re-ride because it doesn't fit into our situation however if you have a child (sometimes adult but that is a bit more uncommon) with sensory seeking behaviors you can occasionally get extra time between rides but they will undoubtedly still perseverate on it. Not to mention limiting it would be a hard one to say is "equal access". Not saying it is or is not a good idea just giving some thoughts.
And some would argue DAS is not equal either because it allows those users “better access” to rides. We can go back and forth but no system will be perfect. So this is where we are at

Vclguy90

It is…

But it is also not their “legal” requirement to observe…as Chi has stated 50 different ways here.

Some things were better in the past and not going back.

For instance: damn near everything about wdw…for everyone.

Anyone who honestly believes it’s more enjoyable now than in the year 2000 needs a drink…or a xanex…both.

This policy shift…yes to sell genie…is just spreading the “pain” around.
I think you've gotten me to realize why I'm so frustrated with all of this. Yes, people shouldn't lie and Disney shouldn't be so gluttonous. 2000's were a great time and everything just seemed like a great value. Now, we have greedy Disney parks that we all fell in love with when it was special and a great value. Taking away FP and opt for G+ was a huge final blow for people and so they rebelled in the same manner, by (some) lying or pulling out their disability that they didn't need to when FP was a viable free option for it. Since it no longer is, they want to take the free option away from damn-near everybody while putting some BS statistics behind it that really wouldn't change ANY patrons experience. For all of you that think it would, you need to have a drink and a Xanax and chill out and realize you're getting screwed over anyway so let the DAS people have their DAS and you continue to shell out money for free services and prep for the day when napkins, ketchup packets, and crappy paper straw are going to be an upcharge. 😃

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And some would argue DAS is not equal either because it allows those users “better access” to rides. We can go back and forth but no system will be perfect. So this is where we are at
Everyone has the ability to reride. And should.

The problem is once you enter a lightning lane…then everyone does not have equal access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom