New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The parents just need to practice more with him🙄
I hear you and I get your sarcasm. But conditioning is a real thing.

Personally, I'm blessed enough to only have to worry about a few physical ailments (not really disabilities) but I wouldn't dream of planning a trip to WDW without ramping up my physical activity level in warm, humid weather to try and build my outdoor endurance in Orlando. I make sure I've got fast-drying, wicking clothing to help evaporate as much perspiration as possible. I build up my tolerance for heat and I start hydrating early to keep my fluids up, even before I head out to Florida.

Whatever one can do to prepare would only be prudent and practical considering the physical, mental and emotional stresses of a "vacation" at the Mouse.

DisneyHead123

Oh, there looks be a late update to the Disabilities guide!
View attachment 786825
Not a fan of the "practice waiting in line" framing. I think something like "be aware that lines are a regular part of the WDW Experience..." followed by something about trying to prepare your child with strategies that work for them - if possible - would be better.

If a child can't wait in lines, it's not like parents are living in blissful unawareness of this fact before going to a theme park (lines are everywhere). It's not like a little "practice" would simply solve the problem if only parents had thought of this. If Disney couldn't store your child's specialty food, they wouldn't say "Practice getting your child to eat common restaurant foods". Or "practice remaining calm and meltdown free", "practice tolerating loud noises", "practice your child's sensory integration skills," etc.

I'm not into outrage culture - not saying it's the end of the world. But I think it was a misstep. It comes across as unintentionally presumptuous. If you want to put people on notice that the shorter lines will now be costing cash monies, ok, just do a "please be aware" type statement.

dreamfinder912

Not a fan of the "practice waiting in line" framing. I think something like "be aware that lines are a regular part of the WDW Experience..." followed by something about trying to prepare your child with strategies that work for them - if possible - would be better.

If a child can't wait in lines, it's not like parents are living in blissful unawareness of this fact before going to a theme park (lines are everywhere). It's not like a little "practice" would simply solve the problem if only parents had thought of this. If Disney couldn't store your child's specialty food, they wouldn't say "Practice getting your child to eat common restaurant foods". Or "practice remaining calm and meltdown free", "practice tolerating loud noises", "practice your child's sensory integration skills," etc.

I'm not into outrage culture - not saying it's the end of the world. But I think it was a misstep. It comes across as unintentionally presumptuous. If you want to put people on notice that the shorter lines will now be costing cash monies, ok, just do a "please be aware" type statement.
Yes! You phrased this much better than I did (thank you) it currently reads from stance of "if you need help it's because you didn't try before" instead of something more genuine. Hey, our system changed. Here's what might help. If it doesn't, we're here with other creative solutions specific to each attraction with cast members ready to assist.

Happyday

I hear you and I get your sarcasm. But conditioning is a real thing.

Personally, I'm blessed enough to only have to worry about a few physical ailments (not really disabilities) but I wouldn't dream of planning a trip to WDW without ramping up my physical activity level in warm, humid weather to try and build my outdoor endurance in Orlando. I make sure I've got fast-drying, wicking clothing to help evaporate as much perspiration as possible. I build up my tolerance for heat and I start hydrating early to keep my fluids up, even before I head out to Florida.

Whatever one can do to prepare would only be prudent and practical considering the physical, mental and emotional stresses of a "vacation" at the Mouse.
I understand what you are saying but most parents with children on the spectrum or with Developmental disabilities or caregivers of adults with these issues already do this on a daily basis. This is not a skill that is only needed at Disney, some children and adults have difficulty just getting through a normal day, we work up to new goals everyday and the nature of these issues is sometimes there is a point where it won't get any better. Conditioning as you call happens daily and not just for standing in line.

DisneyHead123

Yes! You phrased this much better than I did (thank you) it currently reads from stance of "if you need help it's because you didn't try before" instead of something more genuine. Hey, our system changed. Here's what might help. If it doesn't, we're here with other creative solutions specific to each attraction with cast members ready to assist.
Yeah, I found out quickly after having a child with sensory issues that everyone has advice that makes a parent want to go "Oh why didn't I think of that! (rolls eyes)". I know it's meant well but people don't stop to think that they're basically implying the parents are idiots who never thought of the first and most obvious solution to the problem. (And to be fair I'm sure I did this to people too before having a child, lol.)

I assume Disney wanted to put the line issue "out there" and let people know they are changing their stance without sounding insensitive. But this was an awkward way to word it.

Fido Chuckwagon

Here's my favorite tip -
View attachment 786821
This is a must do for all those folks who previously qualified for DAS and now do not!
This is such an overblown reaction to Disney putting good advice on their website for potentially first-time travelers who may not know what to expect coming to Disney.

Here’s a screenshot from @lentesta ‘s touring plans website trip planner:

IMG_0352.png

That’s also good advice for those who may not realize how much walking there is at Disney. The first time I went to WDW my wife and I actually followed this advice, and it was good advice! Do you think touringplans deserves your ire here? Because if you don’t, neither does Disney.

DisneyHead123

This is such an overblown reaction to Disney putting good advice on their website for potentially first-time travelers who may not know what to expect coming to Disney.

Here’s a screenshot from @lentesta ‘s touring plans website trip planner:

View attachment 786849
That’s also good advice for those who may not realize how much walking there is at Disney. The first time I went to WDW my wife and I actually followed this advice, and it was good advice! Do you think touringplans deserves your ire here? Because if you don’t, neither does Disney.
Of course not! They are giving this advice to a general audience here. I would feel differently if he had a page specifically for those with neurodegenerative diseases and threw this out there without some kind of caveat ("While I realize this may not be possible for everyone..." "Talk with your team and talk about mobility options and then..." etc.)

Vclguy90

Anyone try it and notice a difference in the intake process? I am still very curious on what getting caught faking a disability looks like to Disney. I've been toggling asking them that in my interview in a few days. Though, not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anyone try it and notice a difference in the intake process? I am still very curious on what getting caught faking a disability looks like to Disney. I've been toggling asking them that in my interview in a few days. Though, not trying to ruffle any feathers.
Im very interested too?

I imagine it’s a decline and “we invite you to use our genie service to maximize your experience”…behind a fake smile

And hopefully some ability to tag them in the system forever

Dranth

They're treating those with disabilities like they're stupid. As if we don't or haven't already done these or at least some of them?
To be fair, a not insignificant percentage of the general population is stupid, disabled and non-disabled alike.

Also, Disney sees a lot of first time/one time each year so while some of these things are likely very obvious to anyone who has been, it may not hurt for first timers to see them.

Having said all that, I do think they should have put most of those under a general tips section as many of these seem like they could apply/help anyone. Leave just the disability specific suggestions here, move the rest and then change the verbiage a bit to better explain that this is meant as general tips.

Vclguy90

Im very interested too?

I imagine it’s a decline and “we invite you to use our genie service to maximize your experience”…behind a fake smile

And hopefully some ability to tag them in the system forever
Realistically if that were to happen idk what I would do. I would def push an entire refund on my vacation but who are we kidding. Having something you're used to accommodate you for the past 10+ years to seemingly nothing is jarring to me. I guess I will see in a few days.

dreamfinder912

Realistically if that were to happen idk what I would do. I would def push an entire refund on my vacation but who are we kidding. Having something you're used to accommodate you for the past 10+ years to seemingly nothing is jarring to me. I guess I will see in a few days.
It does seem very odd that to have the call you have to have tickets and be within 30 days of your trip and the cancellation window is also 30 days. So by the time you see if you can actually experience your vacation you're trapped paying for it.

Fido Chuckwagon

Okay let me rephrase that. Who would think that going to an extremely popular theme park they won't have lines. I've never been to Universal but if I were to go I wouldn't expect to walk on a ride!
Because you are familiar with Orlando theme parks. If I had only ever gone to my local park I would expect that I could go with my young children and not wait more than a few load cycles for most kiddie rides. That is not the case at WDW.

Fido Chuckwagon

Guess former DAS users will have to get together 100 or so of their nearest and dearest standing in a sauna so that they can practice standing in a line.
Just because that advice is not applicable to you does not mean it is not applicable to, for example, a parent of a young child who may be on the spectrum, but is able to handle a local theme park without realizing how bad the lines at WDW will be.

ditzee

Just because that advice is not applicable to you does not mean it is not applicable to, for example, a parent of a young child who may be on the spectrum, but is able to handle a local theme park without realizing how bad the lines at WDW will be.
My point was, especially if going to WDW in warm/hot weather, it's almost impossible to practice standing in line because besides the heat and humidity there are crowds. That said, it seems that children on the Autism spectrum are getting DAS which is great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom