New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
But then we are just back to a similar situation where too many people would apply and be granted DAS. So I don’t see how this would even fix the problem? I don’t think getting a note would be difficult at all and wouldn’t eliminate the amount of people they need to eliminate to make the lightening lanes actually quicker.
Even if none of the doctors lied, it would not fix the problem. There are too many people legitimately using DAS.

jennab55

Even if none of the doctors lied, it would not fix the problem. There are too many people legitimately using DAS.
I agree and I understand why they switched it to the “always” an issue in line group and moved the “might be” an issue in line group to another accommodation. Honestly, there are just a lot of potentially disabled people and if they were all eligible for DAS it would crush the system. Just in my immediate family, we technically all have a disability that affects our every day lives, but that doesn’t mean all of us are unable to wait in a line due to our disabilities.

Chi84

Premium Member
It doesn’t for ticketed events - that’s the closest comparison.
Ticketed events have limitations imposed by DOJ regulations.

Where abuse of the system is proven to be sky high and the claim is not being sufficiently accommodated while having to wait in line for an admittedly accessible attraction, the ADA may find documentation requirements reasonable.

The problem is it won't alleviate the amount of strain on the system that Disney is seeking. If Disney thought documentation would solve the problem, it would have followed Six Flags and Universal.

Club Cooloholic

It doesn’t for ticketed events - that’s the closest comparison.
But the park is the attraction. Disney is not barring anyone from entering the park, drill deeper and you can say the rides are the product, and again they aren't barring anyone and have even made modifications to accommodate various disabilities to experience the rides.

To use your comparison, I don't believe at a ticketed event, there is a waiter available to someone using a designated disabled seat to make getting concessions easier for them even though there are premium seating areas elsewhere in the arena where there is indeed wait staff provided. Nor have I ever seen a bypass line at the stands to allow someone a way to get concessions quicker, or a lane pulling into the stadium to make the wait for parking quicker or the wait in the line to get into the facility faster. That's why I think there is no legal standing for a suit.

Last edited:

NotTheOne

Have people really stood a hard stance saying anyone with any disability needs DAS?
That certainly seems to be the implication (from my perspective) for a few of the posters on this thread, but I could be wrong, hence my question.

When someone states "The fakers and liars are bad, the disabled are not. ", it certainly implies (again, to me) that the fakers and liars shouldn't get a DAS but anyone with a disability should.

I'm just asking for clarification.

Splash4eva

That certainly seems to be the implication (from my perspective) for a few of the posters on this thread, but I could be wrong, hence my question.

When someone states "The fakers and liars are bad, the disabled are not. ", it certainly implies (again, to me) that the fakers and liars shouldn't get a DAS but anyone with a disability should.

I'm just asking for clarification.
I have DAS and ill state that just because someone has a disability doesmt mean that someone needs DAS but i will say this i think everyone does know their own limits over what they can or cant do… and ill be honest allowing the DAS user and only 1 other person in majority cases while everyone else stays on line is a perfect solution and more than fair imo. And indirectly can possibly prevent people from doing things while waiting in a VQ because i know thats been a hot topic as well…

NotTheOne

I have DAS and ill state that just because someone has a disability doesmt mean that someone needs DAS but i will say this i think everyone does know their own limits over what they can or cant do… and ill be honest allowing the DAS user and only 1 other person in majority cases while everyone else stays on line is a perfect solution and more than fair imo. And indirectly can possibly prevent people from doing things while waiting in a VQ because i know thats been a hot topic as well…
I agree 100%.

In my mind, there are two pieces that need to be addressed - limiting who gets the DAS by providing different accommodations, and making the DAS less attractive to the liars and cheaters who have no disability. Disney has addressed the former, and by limiting party size, they've somewhat addressed the latter, but there are other things that could be done to make the DAS experience more in line with the actual standby experience, which in turn makes it less attractive to the liars and cheaters, some of whom will still find a way to get a DAS.

For all that are comparing this to GAC - the people who qualified didn’t change correct? It’s what was provided changed?
No, GAC did leave some disabled without DAS. GAC had various stamps and many who used some of those different stamps were excluded from the "one-option" DAS. In particular those with visual disabilities were told to ask at each attraction, no more GAC stamp. There were a few others in a similar situation -- no more GAC stamp and DAS wasn't the accommodation needed, so they were told to ask at the attraction.

Chi84

Premium Member
But the park is the attraction. Disney is not barring anyone from entering the park, drill deeper and you can say the rides are the product, and again they aren't barring anyone and have even made modifications to accommodate various disabilities to experience the rides.

To use your comparison, I don't believe at a ticketed event, there is a waiter available to someone using a designated disabled seat to make getting concessions easier for them even though there are premium seating areas elsewhere in the arena where there is indeed wait staff provided. Nor have I ever seen a bypass line at the stands to allow someone a way to get concessions quicker, or a lane pulling into the stadium to make the wait for parking quicker or the wait in the line to get into the facility faster. That's why I think there is no legal standing for a suit.
I don’t think it’s a matter of standing but rather a reason why avoiding lines may not be required as a reasonable accommodation.

Lines are ubiquitous in our society. If you require a business to accommodate people by letting them skip lines, what are the implications for places other than theme parks?

That’s why I believe the only real solution is if society - through legislation like DOJ regulations - decides to impose specific mandates on large theme parks.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

There were a few others in a similar situation -- no more GAC stamp and DAS wasn't the accommodation needed, so they were told to ask at the attraction.
I think they need to return to GAC cards - even if the cards themselves don’t grant any access - but cards that inform the CM’s the nature of the disability so the guests do not have to ask and explain at each attraction.

It makes it easier for the CM’s as well. Everyone wins.

NotTheOne

I don’t think it’s a matter of standing but rather a reason why avoiding lines may not be required as a reasonable accommodation.

Lines are ubiquitous in our society. If you require a business to accommodate people by letting them skip lines, what are the implications for places other than theme parks?

That’s why I believe the only real solution is if society - through legislation like DOJ regulations - decides to impose specific mandates on large theme parks.
Or a court case.

I think that all of the people who calling for Disney to be sued over the DAS restrictions should be careful what they ask for...they might well find, after years of fighting Disney in court, that a judge finds that there is no way to provide line accommodations without fundamentally altering the operations of the parks, and allow Disney to take DAS away completely.

Angel Ariel

are lines ubiquitous? Yes. Are lines that are routinely longer than 30-40 mins ubiquitous in day to day life? Not IME. We live in an area of high density population, so it's not like it's not crowded here. there's only one situation where we routinely experience lengths similar to typical Disney waits. Those kinds of waits are not at all typical in day to day life outside the one situation (which is related to disability and I'm not detailing for reasons).

NotTheOne

I think they need to return to GAC cards - even if the cards themselves don’t grant any access - but cards that inform the CM’s the nature of the disability so the guests do not have to ask and explain at each attraction.

It makes it easier for the CM’s as well. Everyone wins.
Guests already don't have to explain at each attraction - they just need to tell the CM that they might need to leave, and ask how would that be handled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom