New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

I still wonder what people feel the right solution is. With 50,000 visitors a day, how can Disney accommodate every single person who believes they should have DAS, as well as lightning lane users, as well as standby guests, without making it a horrible experience for one or more of those groups? There has to be some give on all sides. I’m okay waiting a little longer because of DAS or paid lightning lane users, but the DAS numbers were unsustainable before the changes.

No matter what, someone will be unhappy. If they’re too lenient it creates problems like before. If they’re too strict people are upset that they didn’t qualify, but it keeps the lines moving for everyone else. They just need to find the proper balance. There also are other accommodates besides just DAS. And ultimately, just like the rest of us, you have the option to buy Genie+. Yes it sucks to have to pay, but that’s true for everyone.
Part of the issue is how they now make suggestions for what people should do when they're denied DAS. I've read multiple reports of adults with IBS, for ex, being told by the CM on the call to wear a diaper. I appreciate the intent to help people being denied DAS figure out a way that they can still access Disney, but I can also see why people feel frustration/embarrassment/humiliation/anxiety, etc when a CM who knows very little about their disability and who isn't a medical professional is suggesting to wear a diaper. While it may be a valid suggestion, I can think of few adults, disabled or not, that would react well to what is essentially a complete stranger telling them to wear a diaper.

Dignity in the process matters, and it seems like there's an issue with consistency in that with this new accessibility team. I personally hope that it's primarily training issues and the CMs will learn and be more consistent in that dignity piece as this continues to roll out.

NotTheOne

For a start, Disney should have modified the program by limiting the number of guests per party, and being a little more diligent in saying no to the full on liars who were truly abusing the system.

Evaluating from there would have been reasonable.
And how do you propose that Disney determine who the "full on liars" are? Medical documentation does nothing, since it is not only easily faked, but also it normally focuses on diagnosis rather than need.

Just because someone has a disability doesn't mean they need or are entitled to any accommodation, let alone a preferred accommodation.

KDM31091

For a start, Disney should have modified the program by limiting the number of guests per party, and being a little more diligent in saying no to the full on liars who were truly abusing the system.

Evaluating from there would have been reasonable.
But how do you tell that someone’s lying without misjudging that? I’m sure people knew exactly what to say to qualify
Building a lot more capacity will go along way
Agreed, but sadly Disney as a whole seems against that, preferring to replace and reskin and not add to the parks. Hopefully the Big Thunder project happens and is actually a substantial addition to the park

bwr827

And how do you propose that Disney determine who the "full on liars" are? Medical documentation does nothing, since it is not only easily faked, but also it normally focuses on diagnosis rather than need.

Just because someone has a disability doesn't mean they need or are entitled to any accommodation, let alone a preferred accommodation.
It’s been suggested many times in this thread that Disney app metrics would likely reveal the system abusers. But that does feel like tricky territory.

I assume they would have modeled scenarios where they simply reduced party size, and found those wanting.

NotTheOne

i was suggesting they get a little more strict without going to such an extreme where they are denying people with very clear disabilities that were previously approved.
How do you propose they become "more strict" without denying it to some/many people who had it before?

Having a "clear" disability doesn't equate to needing a DAS in order to access the attractions.

Club Cooloholic

This thread is kind of incredible in how long it's gone in a short time.
Again, what we have is Disney went above and beyond for those with disabilities for years with their DAS program. Maybe they should have foreseen this program would be exploited by some people, who it was never meant for, but whatever, it happened. This was effecting the overall experience for the average non DAS guest in a negative way. So they pulled the reins back and tried to put Pandora back in the box.
That has left many angry, but again, there was a time where this accomodations didn't exist. What did those with IBS do before DAS? There are medications for many of these things, some of them have been game changers. If someone has IBS but also working meds, should they get DAS?
I think what has happened is Disney has put the onus back on the guest to figure out the management of their disabilities. Adults dealing with IBS are flying on planes taking long car rides etc have probably figured out ways to manage this, or else they wouldn't even be getting to WDW. The idea that just because they made it to the park, they should now be given preferential status, and something that everyone else is being asked to pay out of pocket for is not equality, and thus why Disney will have no problem swatting down any supposed "lawsuits" that could come. Even people getting angry about suggestions as demeaning. I would wager if one has IBS, that is that uncontrollable, they have had that discussion with their doctor and received the adult diaper suggestion. People buy these at stores with people checking and bagging them with their groceries, should they feel shame for something that many people obviously need? Having dealt with conditions myself that can be "embarrassing" to to discuss I can't see why I would feel bad at any realistic suggestions a doctor would give being given by someone who's job it is to give suggestions. If this was at the park in front of dozens of guests said loudly that's one thing, but this is on a phone call.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Fingers crossed it goes well.

Maybe write a few things down so you don’t get flustered. Why is waiting in line difficult? What do you do in other situations? How do you cope at the airport, for example?
“Because he has autism” is not going to get him DAS. Explaining his needs should.

To be fair, joined via VPN and was seen within 10 minutes by a guy called Spencer who approved our son straight away. It was no harder than when I applied for WDW DAS before the change. Spencer gave some good advice too.

I don't see anything on the app regarding the DAS but I believe that appears until after we've gone through the gates.

nickys

Premium Member
To be fair, joined via VPN and was seen within 10 minutes by a guy called Spencer who approved our son straight away. It was no harder than when I applied for WDW DAS before the change. Spencer gave some good advice too.

I don't see anything on the app regarding the DAS but I believe that doesn't appear until after we've gone through the gates.
Great news, glad it went well. 😊

Club Cooloholic

I don't see anything on the app regarding the DAS but I believe that appears until after we've gone through the gates.
That's good to hear. Your son and his situation is exactly what this was made for .

Angel Ariel

This thread is kind of incredible in how long it's gone in a short time.
Again, what we have is Disney went above and beyond for those with disabilities for yours with their DAS program. Maybe they should have foreseen this program would be exploited by some people, who it was never meant for, but whatever, it happened. This was effecting the overall experience for the average non DAS guest in a negative way. So they pulled the reins back and tried to put Pandora back in the box.
That has left many angry, but again, there was a time where this accomodations didn't exist. What did those with IBS do before DAS? Here is something, there are medications for many of these things, some of them have been game changers. If someone has IBS but also this meds, should they get DAS?
I think what has happened is Disney has put the onus back on the guest to figure out the management of their disabilities. Adults dealing with IBS are flying on planes taking long car rides etc have probably figured out ways to manage this, or else they wouldn't even be getting to WDW. The idea that just because they made it to the park, they should now be given preferential status, and something that everyone else is being asked to pay out of pocket for is not equality, and thus why Disney will have no problem swatting down any supposed "lawsuits" that could come. Even people getting angry about suggestions as demeaning. I would wager if one has IBS, that is that uncontrollable, they have had that discussion with their doctor and received that discussion. People buy these at stores with people checking and bagging them with their groceries, should they feel shame for something that many people obviously need? Having dealt with conditions myself that can be "embarrassing" to to discuss I can't see why I would feel bad at any realistic suggestions a doctor would give being given by someone who's job it is to give suggestions. If this was at the park in front of dozens of guests said loudly that's one thing, but this is on a phone call.
I don't disagree with most of your post, there are a few points that stand out.

For the first bolded sentence - people with disabilities are *always* figuring out how to manage their disability. Having DAS does not mean people were not actively managing their symptoms and disability in other ways as well. its really problematic to make that assumptive leap.

As for the second bolded statement - there is a huge difference between a doctor who actively treating the patient, and therefore well aware of their disability, their symptoms, what they've done to manage it in the past, etc making such a recommendation and a *complete stranger* who is not a medical professional doing so. There are ways to make such suggestions available to guests without CMs making assumptions about what a guest does or doesn't do to personally manage their symptoms in other ways. They could simply have a document available and the person on the call shares after a denial "here is a link to a document explaining other accommodations available at the parks [like AQR], and personal accommodation ideas for a variety of disabilities that medical professionals have helped put together for us that may help you make the most of your trip." That document could absolutely list something like diapers, but the way it's presented is more dignified, provides more agency to the disabled person, and removes any assumptions from the call.

Angel Ariel

I'm glad it went well!

Splash4eva

I’m fairly certain that’s been debunked. This is a copy of the wording, it is possible it was changed once they started the new system.

The Disability Access Service (DAS) is intended to accommodate only Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time. This service allows Guests to schedule a return time that is comparable to the current queue wait for the given attraction. To maximize the benefits of this service, Guests should plan ahead using available wait time data, ride locations, and attraction access
options to develop a tentative plan for their visit. This service does not provide immediate attraction access.
Terms and Conditions
• Your scheduled return time does not provide immediate access upon your return.
• You may not have more than one active attraction DAS return time at a time.
• Park and attraction hours are subject to change without notice.
• Attractions may close without notice.
• Not valid for admission to any Theme Park, experience, service or facility.
• All Guests must meet boarding requirements.
• The Guest for which DAS is being requested must be present during registration and experience the attraction when redeeming a DAS return time.
• When utilizing this service, it is possible to experience waits greater than the posted wait time.
• Your agreement to these Terms and Conditions is effective for as long as you have this service. • I understand that after an individualized discussion regarding my personal circumstances I may be offered DAS, alternative accommodations, or no accommodation at all. I agree that any lawsuit I may file, or participate in, challenging this decision, the individualized discussion, or the overall process itself, shall be conducted only on an individual basis and not as a plaintiff or class member in a purported class, consolidated
or representative action or proceeding. • The company reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions of this service without notice, at which time you will need to accept the updated
Terms and Conditions. • By accepting DAS below, you acknowledge that the recipient of this service has a disability requiring the services of this program and you knowingly
and voluntarily agree to and accept the Terms and Conditions.
• This service is revocable, non-transferable, not for commercial use, void if altered and subject to change without notice. I acknowledge and understand that DAS provides valuable benefits intended solely for Guests (and their party) who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time and that if Disney later determines that any of the statements I made in the process of obtaining DAS services are not true, I will be permanently barred from entering the Walt Disney
World Resort and my previously-purchased annual passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded.
When you are online clicking the links and waiting for someone to reply it states that you are not allowed to record the video chat in any way

MickeyLuv'r

That has left many angry, but again, there was a time where this accomodations didn't exist. What did those with IBS do before DAS? There are medications for many of these things, some of them have been game changers. If someone has IBS but also working meds, should they get DAS?
What meds are you talking about that cure IBS?

You think people with IBS are choosing pain/symptoms instead of curing it with easily obtained medication?

Minnesota disney fan

Part of the issue is how they now make suggestions for what people should do when they're denied DAS. I've read multiple reports of adults with IBS, for ex, being told by the CM on the call to wear a diaper. I appreciate the intent to help people being denied DAS figure out a way that they can still access Disney, but I can also see why people feel frustration/embarrassment/humiliation/anxiety, etc when a CM who knows very little about their disability and
Part of the issue is how they now make suggestions for what people should do when they're denied DAS. I've read multiple reports of adults with IBS, for ex, being told by the CM on the call to wear a diaper. I appreciate the intent to help people being denied DAS figure out a way that they can still access Disney, but I can also see why people feel frustration/embarrassment/humiliation/anxiety, etc when a CM who knows very little about their disability and who isn't a medical professional is suggesting to wear a diaper. While it may be a valid suggestion, I can think of few adults, disabled or not, that would react well to what is essentially a complete stranger telling them to wear a diaper.

Dignity in the process matters, and it seems like there's an issue with consistency in that with this new accessibility team. I personally hope that it's primarily training issues and the CMs will learn and be more consistent in that dignity piece as this continues to roll out.

who isn't a medical professional is suggesting to wear a diaper. While it may be a valid suggestion, I can think of few adults, disabled or not, that would react well to what is essentially a complete stranger telling them to wear a diaper.

I wouldn't just believe what someone posts online. A lot of people like to stir the pot and make an issue of things to keep things going. I would have to hear that directly from the CM before I believed it. A lot of things are getting heard about the DAS but I wonder how many are really verified and true. I would give the CM's the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure their training would include Not saying those things to a guest. In my opinion, only.

Angel Ariel

I wouldn't just believe what someone posts online. A lot of people like to stir the pot and make an issue of things to keep things going. I would have to hear that directly from the CM before I believed it. A lot of things are getting heard about the DAS but I wonder how many are really verified and true. I would give the CM's the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure their training would include Not saying those things to a guest. In my opinion, only.
It's not a single post from a single person that I've read. I agree I wouldn't just believe a single post.

Minnesota disney fan

It's not a single post from a single person that I've read. I agree I wouldn't just believe a single post.
I agree and wasn't picking on you. It seems like there are a lot of suspicions of what is going to happen vs actually being at the parks and experiencing it. From what I've read (online,lol), the CM's seem to be handling things pretty well and most people say they are happy with the accommodations. There is a lot of worry about the situation out there without many reporting their actual experiences at this point.

Chi84

Premium Member
It looks to me like Disney is going "all in" on separating the paid LLs from the free standby systems for everyone.

Disney is now selling a system where you pay to book a ride, get to wait elsewhere, and then return at a certain time. The system can be and is being purchased by both disabled and non disabled guests.

Everyone else goes into the standby lines, both disabled and non disabled guests. Obviously, disabled guests have a right to reasonable modifications to the standby lines so that they can access the ride to the same extent as non disabled guests. I believe that is what Disney is attempting to do by making the lines accessible to those who have difficulties with the long lines and need to leave and return.

It seems that DAS (being a version of the now-paid system) is being limited to those with disabilities which, by their very nature, make it impossible to wait in line taking into account their circumstances, including the make-up of their party.

Disney is relying upon their CMs to implement accommodations that will allow disabled individuals who have difficulty navigating or waiting in lines to meet up with their party at a certain point or leave and return to the line. As others have pointed out, the queues were not designed for this, so it's going to be difficult.

My expectation is that a disabled person who is denied DAS, tries the queue accommodations and finds them insufficient will file a suit claiming that Disney's standby line accommodations are insufficient to allow them access to the rides.

The question then is what happens if the line accommodations are found lacking? Will Disney be forced to make additional modifications to its standby lines, or will it be required to give a version of its paid system to the person who was not sufficiently accommodated?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom