New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

First, there is no need for them to have any knowledge around "other types of illnesses and disability". The DAS isn't based on diagnosis, it's based on needs.

Second, not everyone with autism or similar conditions needs a DAS.

I'm more and more with an earlier poster who said they should have renamed it and take the word "Disability" out altogether...just because some is disabled doesn't mean they need a DAS to access the attractions.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm more and more with an earlier poster who said they should have renamed it and take the word "Disability" out altogether...just because some is disabled doesn't mean they need a DAS to access the attractions.
The optics of that, while accurate, indicates Disney taking away access from disabled guests. Which is what happened.

For all that are comparing this to GAC - the people who qualified didn’t change correct? It’s what was provided changed?

That’s what is different about this… they took away access from disabled guests that previously were told they qualified.

NotTheOne

The optics of that, while accurate, indicates Disney taking away access from disabled guests. Which is what happened.

For all that are comparing this to GAC - the people who qualified didn’t change correct? It’s what was provided changed?

That’s what is different about this… they took away access from disabled guests that previously were told they qualified.
They've taken away a specific accommodation from some who used to have it and have offered different accommodations. Taking the word "Disability" out of the name does nothing to change the accommodation. GAC never had the word "disability" in the name, and in fact, I can remember when GAC was shut down, many disabled people didn't like that "disability" was part of the name of the accommodation.

I don't think Disney is as concerned about optics as you think they are, at least I hope not. .

TheLewisHK

First, there is no need for them to have any knowledge around "other types of illnesses and disability". The DAS isn't based on diagnosis, it's based on needs.

Second, not everyone with autism or similar conditions needs a DAS.

You have misunderstood the purpose of my post. To be able to provide adequate information regarding accommodations, there must be a baseline knowledge around a range of different illnesses or disabilities. This is incredibly important (and something I think the CM's did a wonderful job with previously). There must also be a high level of empathy and kindness to disabled individuals, which is reportedly not being received. It is down to the guest to advocate for themselves as to the issues that they specifically may face, but the term "medical professional" is very loosely applied in the reformed system.

I agree with you, however, that the service should be renamed if it is to remain the same. If there is a blanket ban on accommodating guests who have a range of specific disabilities, it should not be marketed as a "Disability Access Pass". They are lining up the metaphorical rod along their own back in its current state.

Splash4eva

This thread is kind of incredible in how long it's gone in a short time.
Again, what we have is Disney went above and beyond for those with disabilities for years with their DAS program. Maybe they should have foreseen this program would be exploited by some people, who it was never meant for, but whatever, it happened. This was effecting the overall experience for the average non DAS guest in a negative way. So they pulled the reins back and tried to put Pandora back in the box.
That has left many angry, but again, there was a time where this accomodations didn't exist. What did those with IBS do before DAS? There are medications for many of these things, some of them have been game changers. If someone has IBS but also working meds, should they get DAS?
I think what has happened is Disney has put the onus back on the guest to figure out the management of their disabilities. Adults dealing with IBS are flying on planes taking long car rides etc have probably figured out ways to manage this, or else they wouldn't even be getting to WDW. The idea that just because they made it to the park, they should now be given preferential status, and something that everyone else is being asked to pay out of pocket for is not equality, and thus why Disney will have no problem swatting down any supposed "lawsuits" that could come. Even people getting angry about suggestions as demeaning. I would wager if one has IBS, that is that uncontrollable, they have had that discussion with their doctor and received the adult diaper suggestion. People buy these at stores with people checking and bagging them with their groceries, should they feel shame for something that many people obviously need? Having dealt with conditions myself that can be "embarrassing" to to discuss I can't see why I would feel bad at any realistic suggestions a doctor would give being given by someone who's job it is to give suggestions. If this was at the park in front of dozens of guests said loudly that's one thing, but this is on a phone call.
In regards to one aspect of your valid points… i think there is a big difference dealing with an issues once to get somewhere ie a plane ride vs now having to do it daily for say a week. Someone can say take a nice pill to put them to sleep for a plane ride which isnt an option if you need to be alert all day long just using the anxiety issue as an example

StarWarsGirl

In regards to one aspect of your valid points… i think there is a big difference dealing with an issues once to get somewhere ie a plane ride vs now having to do it daily for say a week. Someone can say take a nice pill to put them to sleep for a plane ride which isnt an option if you need to be alert all day long just using the anxiety issue as an example
Yup, you can take something for a day while you're on a plane. For a week...yikes.

And also, planes have bathrooms, as do airports.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t know how any good will come from comparing disabilities.

Disney is charging for its line-skip system now. The issue is how to make the standby lines more accessible for people with disabilities who choose standby.

Maybe it’s best to try to suggest ways to work with standby because Disney has made a decision to not extend LLs to people with physical disabilities unless they pay for them.

Club Cooloholic

I don’t know how any good will come from comparing disabilities.

Disney is charging for its line-skip system now. The issue is how to make the standby lines more accessible for people with disabilities who choose standby.

Maybe it’s best to try to suggest ways to work with standby because Disney has made a decision to not extend LLs to people with physical disabilities unless they pay for them.
My original post was exactly this. Disney is putting it back on the guest to manage and work with what they are offering, save for severe autism and probably some other physical and mental disabilities.
I never said there was a magic bullet to solve someone's issue, but there are things that can mitigate many. And thank God, I am not rooting against science that's for sure. Some people tear Big Pharma apart, but I am not one of them, there are some amazing options out there thanks to them.

Dranth

Yeah, so why would anyone suggest to people to wear them? This is such a bizarre and tone deaf conversation. Y'all are talking about people who LIVE with these medical issues 24/7. Do you realize how condescending and ridiculous it is to tell anyone to "just wear a diaper", as if that alone makes the difference between needing accommodations and not. Unreal.
One, it depends on how it was suggested. Two, Disney is offering advice that may help people who haven’t been before so aren’t used to the particulars of visiting. Three, I am sure they aren’t allowed to do anything other than offer pre-approved advice which is meant to be generic and cover basics by its very nature.

Circling back to one, I am willing to bet the actual words spoken were not “just wear a diaper” which means people are twisting what was said to fit their narrative. If it was then yes, that CM needs to be dealt with but the problem wasn’t the advice, it was how it was delivered.

Angel Ariel

One, it depends on how it was suggested. Two, Disney is offering advice that may help people who haven’t been before so aren’t used to the particulars of visiting. Three, I am sure they aren’t allowed to do anything other than offer pre-approved advice which is meant to be generic and cover basics by its very nature.

Circling back to one, I am willing to bet the actual words spoken were not “just wear a diaper” which means people are twisting what was said to fit their narrative. If it was then yes, that CM needs to be dealt with but the problem wasn’t the advice, it was how it was delivered.
I agree with this - as to the last paragraph, having an accommodations handbook with whatever the pre-approved advice is (some of which exists in PDF form already but may be spread across multiple documents..so would be better to consolidate), and having the CM simply share that rather than try to suggest something specific for a disability need that don't have the full picture of, greatly limits any accidental misunderstandings or intentional twistings of narratives.

StarWarsGirl

Correct. I honestly was not against the GAC program changes; it was a free-for-all and was not equal access. The only subsequent changes were that wheelchair use wasn't enough to qualify for a DAS (those in wheelchairs who want to access an attraction that does not have an accessible queue are now given a return time, ex Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Star Tours).

StarWarsGirl

I believe that is what Disney is attempting to do by making the lines accessible to those who have difficulties with the long lines and need to leave and return.
The issue is that it's not always accessible. They're trying solutions like providing wheelchairs in queues if you can't stand for long periods of time. If the solution is a wheelchair, most queues have this, but what if you're by yourself or you have a companion that can't push a wheelchair (ECVs aren't allowed in all the queues)? Are they then going to send someone with you in the queue to ensure that you make it? What about issues where you may need to leave and reenter? Are they going to allow easy access to leave and reenter? They probably do this on some rides with longer queues, but are they going to do this on all of them?

And then there's the question of buying lightning lane. Sure, someone who is disabled could buy LL, but then what if they cannot get the attraction that they want? A regular guest would have the option to wait in standby, but is a disabled guest going to be able to do this? Non-disabled guests have the option of rope dropping or standing in line late, but for someone who is disabled, their disability may limit the time they're able to spend in the park. And then there comes into play lines with VQs. A non-disabled guests can purchase a LL and get into a VQ, thereby experiencing the attraction twice. If someone genuinely cannot wait in line, then are they going to be limited to being forced to buy the LL because of unpredictable wait times in the standard queue?

It's a lot more nuanced. My thought would be Disney would be best off going to Uni's system, which requires a doctor's note and thereby ensures people who actually need accomodations receive them, although it's still a pain in the butt to go get one. Until they learn how to more effectively manage their lines because IMO, the root of their issue, especially in WDW, is poor line management.

jennab55

The issue is that it's not always accessible. They're trying solutions like providing wheelchairs in queues if you can't stand for long periods of time. If the solution is a wheelchair, most queues have this, but what if you're by yourself or you have a companion that can't push a wheelchair (ECVs aren't allowed in all the queues)? Are they then going to send someone with you in the queue to ensure that you make it? What about issues where you may need to leave and reenter? Are they going to allow easy access to leave and reenter? They probably do this on some rides with longer queues, but are they going to do this on all of them?

And then there's the question of buying lightning lane. Sure, someone who is disabled could buy LL, but then what if they cannot get the attraction that they want? A regular guest would have the option to wait in standby, but is a disabled guest going to be able to do this? Non-disabled guests have the option of rope dropping or standing in line late, but for someone who is disabled, their disability may limit the time they're able to spend in the park. And then there comes into play lines with VQs. A non-disabled guests can purchase a LL and get into a VQ, thereby experiencing the attraction twice. If someone genuinely cannot wait in line, then are they going to be limited to being forced to buy the LL because of unpredictable wait times in the standard queue?

It's a lot more nuanced. My thought would be Disney would be best off going to Uni's system, which requires a doctor's note and thereby ensures people who actually need accomodations receive them, although it's still a pain in the butt to go get one. Until they learn how to more effectively manage their lines because IMO, the root of their issue, especially in WDW, is poor line management.
Sigh, back to the doctors notes. That’s not going to work for multiple reasons. To name a few, one would have to pay money to go to the dr and get the note, one could probably get a dr to write a note even if they really can stand in lines. I mean highly doubt the dr is going to say no if someone asks for a letter. Now if we are just talking about medical documentation, also a horrible idea as people with the same disabilities can prove they have said disability but that has nothing to do with whether they can wait in line. Plus then Disney has to keep all this medical documentation safe and secure, even another issue.

StarWarsGirl

Sigh, back to the doctors notes. That’s not going to work for multiple reasons. To name a few, one would have to pay money to go to the dr and get the note, one could probably get a dr to write a note even if they really can stand in lines. I mean highly doubt the dr is going to say no if someone asks for a letter. Now if we are just talking about medical documentation, also a horrible idea as people with the same disabilities can prove they have said disability but that has nothing to do with whether they can wait in line. Plus then Disney has to keep all this medical documentation safe and secure, even another issue.
I don't like it either because I agree that it's a gigantic pain and that people can still fake it, but it seems to be the least objectionable option, especially if the wording is that you could face a park ban for false documentation.

FWIW, we got one for my brother before applying for his last DAS just in case (he's autistic), and his psychiatrist did it without a fee/appointment. I also had to get one for myself for workplace accomodations a few years ago and my doctor (who I've been going to for 20 years) did it with no appointment.

I don't like it either because I agree that it's a gigantic pain and that people can still fake it, but it seems to be the least objectionable option, especially if the wording is that you could face a park ban for false documentation.

FWIW, we got one for my brother before applying for his last DAS just in case (he's autistic), and his psychiatrist did it without a fee/appointment. I also had to get one for myself for workplace accomodations a few years ago and my doctor (who I've been going to for 20 years) did it with no appointment.
The problem is Disney has no way to verify a medical letter is accurate. Many doctors offices won’t confirm if a letter did come from them. Online doctors may have legitimate credentials even if questionable practices. And most importantly, doctors don’t always know the patient’s everyday needs — they focus on symptoms and diagnoses and treatments.

Work accommodations are handled under a different section of the ADA from theme parks, and documentation (sometimes quite a bit) is often required.

jennab55

But then we are just back to a similar situation where too many people would apply and be granted DAS. So I don’t see how this would even fix the problem? I don’t think getting a note would be difficult at all and wouldn’t eliminate the amount of people they need to eliminate to make the lightening lanes actually quicker.

DisneyHead123

The problem is Disney has no way to verify a medical letter is accurate. Many doctors offices won’t confirm if a letter did come from them. Online doctors may have legitimate credentials even if questionable practices. And most importantly, doctors don’t always know the patient’s everyday needs — they focus on symptoms and diagnoses and treatments.
I was skeptical about the idea initially as well, but after seeing the DAS situation play out, I think this may be a case of “the perfect is the enemy of the good.” Documentation from a doctor or other relevant professional is not perfect by any means, but it would be a huge improvement. For people who are casually lying, faking documentation or faking symptoms with a doctor is a different level of effort and deception, potentially with much bigger consequences if health insurance is involved. I think it would weed out a large number of cheaters, though not all.

Also keep in mind that while doctors may not verify letters, they are sure as heck going to take notice if they find out someone is faking medical documents in their name, and probably respond. So there is still a check of sorts there, just more roundabout.

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t think requiring any documentation will pass the ADA - but I honestly don’t think the existing system will either - just a matter of when it goes to court.

It will be interesting to watch how this progresses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom