New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

Listen as you can tell im not one that like lawsuits & crying discrimination im just stating common sense facts & good business practices here etc… we are talking Disney here & yes their name may have lost some luster but come on. Telling someone basically here you go your time meant nothing is a terrible look
Yeah, I don't disagree, it's a bad look.

Chip Chipperson

Im no IT expert and you kinda already answered the question. How hard would it be to install touch points on both sides so people can tap into a line once entering it & yes i totally understand all queue's would not be set up properly but its something they can do. Maybe even from the MDE from a gps location the same way they do with dining check in.
Now you're expecting Disney to make significant operating changes to accommodate you. The capital costs associated with installing additional tapstiles at every attraction plus staffing those tapstiles wouldn't be insignificant.

Touchdown

Another quiet Sunday in the parks

IMG_5579.jpeg

NotTheOne

Now you're expecting Disney to make significant operating changes to accommodate you. The capital costs associated with installing additional tapstiles at every attraction plus staffing those tapstiles wouldn't be insignificant.
Agree, it's a tough nut to crack.

Something they could do though, and they already used this technology for dining, is to not let a DAS holder make their next reservation until they're in the vicinity of the ride.

Jrb1979

Listen as you can tell im not one that like lawsuits & crying discrimination im just stating common sense facts & good business practices here etc… we are talking Disney here & yes their name may have lost some luster but come on. Telling someone basically here you go your time meant nothing is a terrible look
I agree it's not a good look but the honor system wouldn't work either look to instantly get in the LL queue. I don't see them spending the money to have tap ins for standby.

peter11435

Yep. Easily millions of dollars to install at every attraction and I don’t see how it would actually solve the problem.

lazyboy97o

Discomfort is ok when it's interesting, got it. For reference, what people are comfortable in a line?
People with disabilities have agency. They are people and allowed to make decisions for themselves. You do not get to decide for them. They are allowed to do things that they find difficult or painful even if you do not approve or find it hypocritical.

Club Cooloholic

People with disabilities have agency. They are people and allowed to make decisions for themselves. You do not get to decide for them. They are allowed to do things that they find difficult or painful even if you do not approve or find it hypocritical.
Again, I think the word "disabled" has been bastardized, and this why the changes we see have been made.

NotTheOne

Agree 100%. But that also means that there will be times when, depending on the difficulty of the position they've chosen to put themselves into, the provided reasonable accommodation may not be able to meet their needs in a way they would consider best or easier or the most desirable.

MickeyLuv'r

The poster quoted word for word your last statement in that post.
But took it out of context. I was clearly talking about DAS. I probably should have added the word such to the last sentence, but since I said:

DAS not only helps the disabled DAS holder, but also helps Disney's image as an inclusive company. Remember, this is a thread about children and adults with severe disabilities that impair their ability to wait in a queue.

A WDW without any [such] accommodation [as DAS] for children with autism and other severe medical conditions is not a place I'd visit.

The topic sentence was clearly the first sentence: Seems a bit premature to say Disney plans to discontinue DAS.

We all know WDW offers and array of accommodations like video captioning, braille guidebooks, and wheelchair ramps. I was very specifically talking about DAS, and only DAS.

Speculating about the possible elimination of DAS is not constructive when discussing WDW's recent policy changes.

Angel Ariel

Again, I think the word "disabled" has been bastardized, and this why the changes we see have been made.
Or there's just been increases in the disability community - some from the pandemic, a lot from better diagnostic tools meaning that people are diagnosed earlier (or at all). Some also from more willingness of people to explore getting diagnosed as society does become more accessible and inclusive and there's less of a negative stigma about being disabled.

Now does that mean all disabled people qualify for DaS. - no. No debate on that. But it doesn't mean that the definition of disabled has been watered down either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I forgot to address this in my earlier post— Disney absolutely already has the technology to see who is lying about party size to get a return time instead of meeting up with family in line, and they can check to see how many times a day each guest is using it as well
Technology, yes

But the processes they are going with defeat their chances to use that technology.

No point in talking about the technology if it’s not even feasible in their current implementations.

RSoxNo1

Can you say more about this? I'm not very familiar with Universal, I've only heard of it wrt being hard for very obese people. Are there other ways in which the rides themselves are generally less accessible?
We're headed to California next month with my autistic brother and essentially were able to receive the same accommodation for both Universal and Disneyland. We called before Disneyland changed over to their new system and were able to secure disability passes for my brother + 5 additional guests.

From an ease of use standpoint, acquiring the Universal pass was substantially easier to acquire than Disney. The video call requires a time commitment while Universal allows you to simply submit data (and a doctor's note). I much prefer the Universal approach.

Splash4eva

I said "you" because you're the one suggesting it, not because your suggestion would only be applied to you. Regardless, it would be a big expense and require increased staffing at all 4 parks. That's why it's not likely to happen.
I know. God forbid Disney spends money on making a guest experience better without getting anything back directly in return. Dare i say anything along those lines. Heresy!!! ;)

NotTheOne

I know. God forbid Disney spends money on making a guest experience better without getting anything back directly in return. Dare i say anything along those lines. Heresy!!! ;)
With the small number of guests that would actually get a better guest experience out of this, yeah, not worth the effort, IMO.

Also, be careful what you ask for (you in the general sense)...if Disney were to have this in place, they could easily (and I would argue should) utilize it to keep DAS holders from going into a standby queue while holding a return time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom