New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

hopemax

Yeah, Disney can withstand the complaints...I think people forget what an uproar there was in 2013 when GAC was ended. Plenty of people claiming that Disney would back down, given the bad publicity.

Not only did they not back down, they fought an 8+ year court battle (and won) to keep from having to provide GAC-level accommodations.
The difference might be that during that time, the larger Disney disability community still believed that Disney was among the most accessible places they could visit. The complaints were a subset of the population. These changes seem to have a lot more people asking themselves if a Disney theme park vacation is even possible for their affected person.

I’m not sure Disney wants the *general consensus* to be “don’t go to WDW, it’s not feasible anymore if you are dealing with condition X.” It’s a manageable position for dealing with a subset of high maintenance complainers. Businesses are okay with firing a few customers, if most people are successfully transitioning to the new rules. The fallout from this, is yet to be seen.

NotTheOne

The difference might be that during that time, the larger Disney disability community still believed that Disney was among the most accessible places they could visit. The complaints were a subset of the population. These changes seem to have a lot more people asking themselves if a Disney theme park vacation is even possible for their affected person.

I’m not sure Disney wants the *general consensus* to be “don’t go to WDW, it’s not feasible anymore if you are dealing with condition X.” It’s a manageable position for dealing with a subset of high maintenance complainers. Businesses are okay with firing a few customers, if most people are successfully transitioning to the new rules. The fallout from this, is yet to be seen.
We can agree to disagree on this point - there were just as many people in 2013 claiming that Disney was no longer possible for them.

NotTheOne

As far as I ever understood it, some were thinking that with less people in the LL, then the LL would move faster and therefore standby would move faster as well, resulting in lower times.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

While any given attraction only has X amount of throughput per hour, which line that throughput is coming from makes a difference to the other line, especially when one of the lines (LL) is supposed to be shorter than the other one, necessarily meaning that a higher proportion of riders will need to be taken from than line in order to keep it moving.

hopemax

Do you know the reasoning behind that theory? I can’t figure it out lol.
It’s just math. Theoretically, if there are fewer people in LL then more people can be taken from the standby line. 80/20 ratios can be maintained and not switched to 1 standby party per 100 LL.

It’s an implicit acknowledgment that not everyone currently in the LL will transition to standby or purchase Genie+ to remain in the LL at that exact point in time, having the same impact on a guest in standby. Some will find other attractions to experience. Genie+ can sell out a time slot so a specific guest who would approach a ride with a 60 minute wait at 1:00 could enter the LL at 4:30 due to Genie availability instead of 2:00. They would be behind, not in front of the theoretical standby guest who also entered at 1:05. Or not be in the park at all.

Don’t underestimate the impact of putting more people in an environment that “sells out.” DAS doesn’t. Genie+ does.

Chi84

Premium Member
It’s just math. Theoretically, if there are fewer people in LL then more people can be taken from the standby line. 80/20 ratios can be maintained and not switched to 1 standby party per 100 LL.

It’s an implicit acknowledgment that not everyone currently in the LL will transition to standby or purchase Genie+ to remain in the LL at that exact point in time, having the same impact on a guest in standby. Some will find other attractions to experience. Genie+ can sell out a time slot so a specific guest who would approach a ride with a 60 minute wait at 1:00 could enter the LL at 4:30 due to Genie availability instead of 2:00. They would be behind, not in front of the theoretical standby guest who also entered at 1:00. Or not be in the park at all.

Don’t underestimate the impact of putting more people in an environment that “sells out.” DAS doesn’t. Genie+ does.
Thanks. Makes sense.

That's the key to me. When LLs are long, or just constantly full, those are the times when standby is brought to a STANDSTILL to catch up with the LL. That leads to 60+ minute waits on a high capacity attraction like Haunted Mansion. It's those peak LL ratios. They're frustrating to everyone.

Disney can also increase G+ slots per hour, making that service more valuable and usable with more inventory.

I would expect wait times to change noticeably if DAS #s (which was maybe 60% of riders at some attractions, remember) were reduced by some significant amount. And I think that's going to make a difference to other guests, both with and without G+.

NotTheOne

That's the key to me. When LLs are long, or just constantly full, those are the times when standby is brought to a STANDSTILL to catch up with the LL. That leads to 60+ minute waits on a high capacity attraction like Haunted Mansion. It's those peak LL ratios. They're frustrating to everyone.

Disney can also increase G+ slots per hour, making that service more valuable and usable with more inventory.

I would expect wait times to change noticeably if DAS #s (which was maybe 60% of riders at some attractions, remember) were reduced by some significant amount. And I think that's going to make a difference to other guests, both with and without G+.
Yep.

The bloated LLs also add to the standby wait times being underestimated...I see so many posts from DAS users saying they wait longer than standby because the posted standby time is inflated.

For popular rides, I've literally never had that happen...when the actual wait time hasn't been close to posted wait time, it's always been because the posted wait time was too short.

Touchdown

Another lighter weekend, although I would not have expected NRJ and MF to be the two longest lines…

IMG_5468.jpeg

Ayla

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

While any given attraction only has X amount of throughput per hour, which line that throughput is coming from makes a difference to the other line, especially when one of the lines (LL) is supposed to be shorter than the other one, necessarily meaning that a higher proportion of riders will need to be taken from than line in order to keep it moving.
I am also one that believes it will make the stand by line move faster. The current line proportions is 90% LL to 10% standby. If there are less people in the LL line to pull from, standby will move faster.

Touchdown

And what do you think this has to do with DAS? Do you think 7 dwarves mine train would be at 70 minutes or something?
In the last 2 weeks lines have been much lower Fri-Mon compared to Tues-Thur which is the exact opposite of what you would expect. Weekends should be more popular and have higher attendance. I suspect they still do, but weekends have less locals because they have Pixie Passes that get blocked. If attendance is higher on the weekends why are lines lower then? Tourists are less likely to have a DAS pass as most didn’t know about the deadline, but most locals still have DAS passes. However we are approaching the 30 day mark, which should be significant for those locals who go often. I’m waiting to see if the short lines come to Tues-Thur in the next week or two.

Minnesota disney fan

They’re trying to accommodate the type of cognitive disability that cannot be remedied by in-line accommodations.

If you want to see a definitive end to all line-skip accommodations, look for a lawsuit that alleges that Disney is violating the ADA by discriminating based on type of disability.
Again, I feel that Disney's lawyers have anticipated all and every type of lawsuit that might come from this change. They have a lot of lawyers and I feel that before this was even a "thing" that they had covered all the bases. I'm sure some will try to sue, but doubt if anything comes from it.

NotTheOne

Again, I feel that Disney's lawyers have anticipated all and every type of lawsuit that might come from this change. They have a lot of lawyers and I feel that before this was even a "thing" that they had covered all the bases. I'm sure some will try to sue, but doubt if anything comes from it.
I agree, and I think that's what the PP was alluding to as well.

People need to be careful what they want to sue over...I can absolutely see a scenario where Disney is sued, and they are able to go to court and show that even a reduced DAS population negatively impacts operations to the point where the DAS isn't offered at all.

TrainsOfDisney

I can absolutely see a scenario where Disney is sued, and they are able to go to court and show that even a reduced DAS population negatively impacts operations to the point where the DAS isn't offered at all.
Well not exactly - accommodating a disability will almost always “impact operations” - it adds 5 minutes to put a wheelchair or ecv on a bus, but Disney can’t stop accommodating them because it “negatively impacts operations”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom