New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

Well not exactly - accommodating a disability will almost always “impact operations” - it adds 5 minutes to put a wheelchair or ecv on a bus, but Disney can’t stop accommodating them because it “negatively impacts operations”
True, but it depends on the impact. They don't have to offer the DAS as an accommodation (as they've already shown). They could make everyone use AQR or rider switch if they wanted to. Needing to wait outside the line doesn't have to mean DAS.

NotTheOne

No, not necessarily. If more wheelchairs need to use Disney transport they must be accommodated regardless of the impact.
I think you need to read the result of the lawsuit that Disney won re: GAC v. DAS and how impact to park operations played into the decision.

But to use your completely unrelated example, yes, Disney needs to accommodate all wheelchairs, but that isn't really an impact on operations since the wheelchair users might just have to wait longer for a bus. It's not like Disney has to really do anything to handle more wheelchairs.

Figgy1

Yep.

Although I wouldn't be in favor of Disney eliminating DAS and telling everyone who needs accommodation to use AQR or rider switch, I'm curious as to why that wouldn't be a valid accommodation for those who can't wait the entire length of long standby lines.
Some with certain conditions require more than one carer and some who get to the point of having to leave the line will not be able to return that day, possibly not even the next

Touchdown

so you don’t have any data that weekends at WDW are usually more busy than weekdays in the month of June in recent years?
I never said weekends are more busy than the historical average, I only said that compared to a weekday in the same month the weekend is busier. WDW thinks so too, that’s why hours are longer on weekends and why passes are blocked out.

Chip Chipperson

Some with certain conditions require more than one carer and some who get to the point of having to leave the line will not be able to return that day, possibly not even the next
But DAS wouldn't help that, either. The wait would still be just as long, so any situation that came up causing them to leave the park would have come up anyway.

John park hopper

I sent a detailed email on my condition and was just wanting to know prior to making a resort reservation if I qualified for DAS accommodation. Just received a response I would have to make a reservation and then 30 days prior contact them and then they would make a determination. Needless to say I am not thrilled with how Disney is handling this

NotTheOne

I sent a detailed email on my condition and was just wanting to know prior to making a resort reservation if I qualified for DAS accommodation. Just received a response I would have to make a reservation and then 30 days prior contact them and then they would make a determination. Needless to say I am not thrilled with how Disney is handling this
This is not new though - you always had to have a ticket in order to get DAS...and it was never an absolute to be approved.

NotTheOne

Uhh.. except equip a full fleet with handicap accessible buses? And run more buses to maintain a reasonable service level? And invest in queue build outs in the depots?

The difference now is simply disney already made that investment- not that there wasn’t any needed
And how exactly did getting more people (those who need wheelchairs) into their parks to buy food, drinks, and souvenirs negatively affect the operations of the parks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom