New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ConfettiCupcake

Okay so then call it the way it is (not you personally) this is another way to make money. Simple as that because honestly there are and were plenty of options other than the nuclear one they chose…

Everything they do is a way to make money directly or indirectly so I agree there.

I think my point is is that what you suggested would end up hurting those who require it for attraction access and cannot do the standby lines period, in the name of throwing a bone to the wider group of people who can access attractions with some other accommodation. They’re not going nuclear, they’re offering other (less convenient) methods for those who no longer qualify for the traditional DAS per their needs.

Happyday

And some would argue DAS is not equal either because it allows those users “better access” to rides. We can go back and forth but no system will be perfect. So this is where we are at
I was hinting at without coming right out and saying it I don't think it would pass the legal stuff. This is also why I asked what is done at Universal?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you've gotten me to realize why I'm so frustrated with all of this. Yes, people shouldn't lie and Disney shouldn't be so gluttonous. 2000's were a great time and everything just seemed like a great value. Now, we have greedy Disney parks that we all fell in love with when it was special and a great value. Taking away FP and opt for G+ was a huge final blow for people and so they rebelled in the same manner, by (some) lying or pulling out their disability that they didn't need to when FP was a viable free option for it. Since it no longer is, they want to take the free option away from damn-near everybody while putting some BS statistics behind it that really wouldn't change ANY patrons experience. For all of you that think it would, you need to have a drink and a Xanax and chill out and realize you're getting screwed over anyway so let the DAS people have their DAS and you continue to shell out money for free services and prep for the day when napkins, ketchup packets, and crappy paper straw are going to be an upcharge. 😃
I think you hit it right there

Let’s face it: NONE of us want less access for disability. We’re Disney fans…not monsters.
But we all are frustrated because they are delivering a diminishing product. Ground zero. For das and no das alike.

So on thread…we ALL get it. But the problem is using das out of convenience…and not need…IS stealing from Disney and by extension everyone else.

And many have self-reported themselves on the thread. I don’t hate them…but they’re taking advantage of the “margins”. No debate

We all UNDERSTAND it. But it still has to stop. Even if Disney is using it to profit.

And I’m about the least “pro Disney profit” cat in this alley 🐈

Vclguy90

As it should be.
Dave Chappelle GIF

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Okay so then call it the way it is (not you personally) this is another way to make money. Simple as that because honestly there are and were plenty of options other than the nuclear one they chose…
Honest question…
What would have given the impression it was ever not about money?

Even when things were “included”…they were also accounted.

Vclguy90

My question is, will this person purchase Genie+ and ILLs now?
I would imagine they have no choice. I was under the impression that Disney was supplying reasonable accommodations to people who still have a disability but don't qualify for DAS. Luckily I purchased my resort through priceline and my tickets through undercover tourists. So I do get that refund after all 🤑

Chip Chipperson

Has anyone had any experience yet for what Disney is doing with environmental allergy anaphylaxis and DAS? My wife has had DAS for years for this and wondering if it’s worth doing the video chat. She goes into anaphylaxis if someone has taken any THC product (even if it was hours before they go to the park) and has had a reaction in the parks before which is crazy being in a queue line. Not sure how return to line or ride swap would work cause it’s not like I would tell her to deal with her reaction herself so that I could save out space in line for space mountain haha
I'm not sure if that would qualify or not (seems like a "No" but that's just an educated guess based on the changes made and the few reports of results under the new system). I'm not sure how DAS would really solve your wife's issue, though. Disney doesn't drug test people when they enter, so how would anyone know if someone in the LL line had an edible before getting in line? It seems line the risk is the same in both lines.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would imagine they have no choice. I was under the impression that Disney was supplying reasonable accommodations to people who still have a disability but don't qualify for DAS. Luckily I purchased my resort through priceline and my tickets through undercover tourists. So I do get that refund after all 🤑
Wait…DAS is that reasonable accommodation

You thought people denied would get a backup plan?
No. Genie is the backup plan.

Last edited:

Grantwil93

Nobody is criticizing those who legitimately need DAS. Let's not pretend that understated wait times to the extent you say you experienced is common unless an attraction breaks down, however - and that would impact you in the LL line as well. And it is usually pretty obvious when the Wait Time sign just hasn't been updated to account for a rush of people who all noticed the short wait around the same time. If Buzz has a posted 20 minute wait but the line outside is using all the switchbacks around the side of the building, I know it's a longer wait. It is more likely to see wait times overstated. The conspiracy-minded here lime to say it's to boost G+ sales, but it's been an issue long before G+ was even a thought, let alone a rumor here or reality.
This all happens because wait times are controlled by the front line attraction manager via visual queues and reports from other CM's at the greeter and merge positions. None of them are artificially boosting waits. It just takes like 2-5 minutes for a time update to happen. And it relies on CM's actually calling their manager to update the line. It's essentially educated guesswork

No frontline CM or location manager wants more guests in LL. It's a pain to deal with.

TrainsOfDisney

I can verify that a mid 20's adult with a job who does have diagnosed Autism was denied a DAS pass after their meeting. The Standard for qualification is high.
This definitely seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen - is Disney doing the actual judgment calls or is the 3rd party?

Judging the severity of a medical condition in a quick interview is really not the way to do this. It’s why Disney and other businesses are only legally allowed to ask a few questions regarding service dogs and they don’t get to judge if a service dog is actually needed for a theme park visit or not.

Chip Chipperson

Wait…DAS is that reasonably accommodation

You thought people denied would get a backup plan?
No. Genie is the backup plan.
Not entirely. Rider Swap and Return-to-Line are available options, too. I'm not sure how the other poster made the leap from "I thought people with legitimate issues who don't qualify for DAS would receive other accommodations" to "this person with a legitimate issue was denied DAS, therefore Disney is offering NO accommodations in those cases."

Disstevefan1

That’s the theory
I know this has been discussed and maybe I brought it up before, so Disney shutdown the DAS abuse and many, many legitimate DAS folks are now shut out.

It seems Disney MUST increase the number of Genie+ and ILLs sold daily to accommodate all the legitimate folks who previously qualified for DAS and now do not who legitimately CANT use standby.

What's going to happen when we have a legitimate person will limitations who now do not qualify for the new DAS cant even get Genie+ or ILL because they are sold out?

Vclguy90

This definitely seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen - is Disney doing the actual judgment calls or is the 3rd party?

Judging the severity of a medical condition in a quick interview is really not the way to do this. It’s why Disney and other businesses are only legally allowed to ask a few questions regarding service dogs and they don’t get to judge if a service dog is actually needed for a theme park visit or not.
Class. Action. Train. Let's go 🚂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom