New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Vclguy90

Funny you should mention that. When you sign off on the terms and conditions prior to your discussion with the phone team, you waive your right to participate in a class action lawsuit.
Thanks for bringing this up because I was confused if it was before the interview or after receiving your DAS

Guess we just have to take it amongst ourselves to do it individually. Where are the lawyers in this board? You're gonna make a crapload. Lol

Purduevian

I can verify that a mid 20's adult with a job who does have diagnosed Autism was denied a DAS pass after their meeting. The Standard for qualification is high.
To play devils advocate here... having Autism should not automatically approve a person for DAS as it has a wide spectrum.

The tips do sound condescending though...
DAS is not supposed to be Diagnosis based... I'm sure lots of people with autism, will be appropriately denied.

I do not know this individual and maybe this is a horrible thing that will ruin their trip, or it might just be an inconvenience. However, I can't conclude that from the available information, but autism diagnosis should not be auto DAS.

Splash4eva

Honest question…
What would have given the impression it was ever not about money?

Even when things were “included”…they were also accounted.
Nothing. I said from the get go it was and for some reason early chats kinda thought disney was trying to be some good guy and getting rid of allll these liars. Seems like alot of peoples tune has changed…

Splash4eva

I was hinting at without coming right out and saying it I don't think it would pass the legal stuff. This is also why I asked what is done at Universal?
Its probably wouldnt but guess what. Now many many people will have nothing … so once again trying to hide behind a legal battle thinking people can win will cost everyone the access they needed. Again. Go to a 3rd party prove your ailment system and call it a day.

Splash4eva

Everything they do is a way to make money directly or indirectly so I agree there.

I think my point is is that what you suggested would end up hurting those who require it for attraction access and cannot do the standby lines period, in the name of throwing a bone to the wider group of people who can access attractions with some other accommodation. They’re not going nuclear, they’re offering other (less convenient) methods for those who no longer qualify for the traditional DAS per their needs.
Lets face it. What are they offering? A return to line queue which sounds like its gonna be a cluster … they are simply hoping that not many people need to use the system but im sure once people figure a way to abuse that next

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lets face it. What are they offering? A return to line queue which sounds like its gonna be a cluster … they are simply hoping that not many people need to use the system but im sure once people figure a way to abuse that next
A return to line would still be preferable to paid genie to many. Because genie didn’t guarantee you a slot for anything

Purduevian

Nothing. I said from the get go it was and for some reason early chats kinda thought disney was trying to be some good guy and getting rid of allll these liars. Seems like alot of peoples tune has changed…
I do think part of the move is to improve Park-ops. If successful this will either make standby quicker, G+ more valuable, or a combination of the two. Now they could just raise the G+ to offset this value, but from a non-DAS perspective this will most likely improve my WDW trip (if successful).

ConfettiCupcake

Yeah it remains to be seen how well return to line will actually function, but it seems to be an attempt to accommodate those who previously had DAS because ‘I might need to leave the line’. They’re now saying okay, you can leave it as needed and come back instead of avoiding a large portion of it preventatively.

I think they’re assuming it won’t be a mess because the people who now have to use this instead of DAS won’t be leaving in droves. We’ll see whose right I guess, Disney or the effected guest.

Drdcm

I had the reverse, I had social anxiety but then come to find out it is autism. There was always a negative connotation about having autism, but it actually brought me peace to know there was an underlying blueprint on why I was different.
Yeah that makes sense. It’s sort of hard to describe, but the people showing up for the first time asking for an autism eval (as adults) are much less likely to have it than those coming in for other issues initially (like anxiety).

Insight with autism is generally poor because the symptoms are inherently egosyntonic (aligns with their perception of the world) so most people don’t realize they have it and think it’s something else initially.

pdude81

This definitely seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen - is Disney doing the actual judgment calls or is the 3rd party?

Judging the severity of a medical condition in a quick interview is really not the way to do this. It’s why Disney and other businesses are only legally allowed to ask a few questions regarding service dogs and they don’t get to judge if a service dog is actually needed for a theme park visit or not.
Well I think this is the point. If this person truly needs an accommodation and is denied, they should sue. But then they will have to prove they need it. And that's the biggest change here. If people need to find a cast member and ask for assistance rather than push a virtual button on their phone, then that might deter some of the soft abuse we've seen when DAS was given out for nearly all accommodation requests. And a lawsuit is obviously a lot more work and effort than that.

Now as SirWalter has said, nobody (especially Disney) wants to take enjoyment and help away from people who truly need it. However, they may have to take that help away from people who just really like it. They were very generous for a very long time, and as such more disabled individuals flocked to Disney than they would have without GAC and then DAS. But the reset has happened, and if line waits drop precipitously or wait times stay consistent rather than LL flooding every time a ride goes down, we'll know that the reset was needed.

JMcMahonEsq

Has anyone had any experience yet for what Disney is doing with environmental allergy anaphylaxis and DAS? My wife has had DAS for years for this and wondering if it’s worth doing the video chat. She goes into anaphylaxis if someone has taken any THC product (even if it was hours before they go to the park) and has had a reaction in the parks before which is crazy being in a queue line. Not sure how return to line or ride swap would work cause it’s not like I would tell her to deal with her reaction herself so that I could save out space in line for space mountain haha
Just out of personal curiosity, how would DAS help with that condition? Even if she was allowed to skip a line to the very end, how do you guarantee that no one else in the ride vehicle has taken THC. Heck with ever easing restrictions on THC use you could have CM's who are assisting people with DAS that have used it. Like any environmental allegory or sever peanut allergy that one seems very hard to control/mitigate in a large public setting.

JAN J

Printing stupid information on the disabilities page, yes.
As if those with a disability(ies) are too dumb to check the weather forecast, look at a map, choose a meet up location, etc.
I think this is kind the kind of information present in all guides, not just for people with disabilities.
When I install a new TV I know where the power button is in the remote and how to turn it on, the manual still tells me to insert batteries and press when TV is connected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom