New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Dranth

I can fix a lot of a problems for Disney at once.

Problems:

#1 Lightning Lane is filled with DAS

#2 Deluxe resorts are light on bookings

#3 DVC sales are slow

Solution:

Make DAS extremely restrictive. Make it VERY hard for cheaters to qualify, and limit it to only the bare minimum of guests that they can get away with legally.

Then scrap G+ since it’s the worst line skip in the industry.

Replace it with a line skip like Universal’s that allows you to get on the ride you want when you want.

Charge very high prices for the line skip.

Increase the cost of deluxe resort rooms and include the line skip with the room.

Include the line skip for DVC members.

This ensures the only people in the lightning lane are paying big $$$ to be there. Deluxe resort rooms are selling out and DVC is selling like hotcakes.

It also still gives the option to a disabled guest that can’t wait in line, to ride what they want when they want by acquiring an express pass.
As a DVC member, I wouldn't complain about the deluxe part of it, but I imagine the inventory of Deluxe is too high to allow for a full Express Pass like situation. Uni is VERY limited in the amount of "Free" Express Pass given out and I think it is telling they haven't added it to any resort since the original three.

I'm also not sure that wouldn't cause a bigger mess with the public in general.

DisneyCane

Rider switch won't work for my party. I have to pick up my wife from her wheelchair and place her into the ride car for those rides that don't have a wheelchair car. So she doesn't ride if I'm not there.

For the line leave/return "accomodation", I have to leave with her because she is legally blind and has slight dementia due to the periventricular lesions in her brain. She would get confused and lost if she had to leave a line and I had to stay.

Her limbic system is damaged affecting her emotions. Being in a line that she can't easily escape causes anxiety which then will set off a cascading chronic pain event. She has PTSD from the military and MS. She can't communicate effectively when she is upset which can lead to more trouble with those that don't know her.

This change is going to really affect our trips. We will abide by the new rules and we'll use G+ if we need to. I imagine we'll end up selling our DVC and finding other vacation options in the future.

And I drive because the TSA hurt her eight years ago when we were leaving Orlando.

I would schedule the interview, talk to the healthcare professional and tell them everything you just said. I'm betting you would be approved for a DAS.

I would hope so since the situation @Section106 describes is pretty much what something like DAS would be designed to provide an accommodation for. This isn't some borderline case of a mild psychological disorder that will cause a kid to get annoying in a line.

DisneyCane

I can fix a lot of a problems for Disney at once.

Problems:

#1 Lightning Lane is filled with DAS

#2 Deluxe resorts are light on bookings

#3 DVC sales are slow

Solution:

Make DAS extremely restrictive. Make it VERY hard for cheaters to qualify, and limit it to only the bare minimum of guests that they can get away with legally.

Then scrap G+ since it’s the worst line skip in the industry.

Replace it with a line skip like Universal’s that allows you to get on the ride you want when you want.

Charge very high prices for the line skip.

Increase the cost of deluxe resort rooms and include the line skip with the room.

Include the line skip for DVC members.

This ensures the only people in the lightning lane are paying big $$$ to be there. Deluxe resort rooms are selling out and DVC is selling like hotcakes.

It also still gives the option to a disabled guest that can’t wait in line, to ride what they want when they want by acquiring an express pass.
Agree. Unless you make the line skip very expensive it can never work as a premium experience. At the current prices they have to sell too many of them to make it work as a real line skip.

Disstevefan1

When I worked at KRR, I worked with a 30yo man who was known for picking up as many shifts as possible, worked 6-7 days a week, and often worked 10-12 hour a day when park hours allowed for it.

A majority of a CM’s day at KRR is spent walking on that turn table. Or if not walking there, standing in a stationary position. And let’s not forget the half mile walk from the parking lot all the way to the back of the park.

He also frequently trained for marathons, and was very vocal about it.

He had a GAC for his “bad knee” from a football injury in college.

Could managers got him in trouble for “faking?” Maybe. But…he also had a government-issued handicap placard for his car. Did he have a “bad” knee? Probably. Did it actually stop him from being able to do anything physical? Clearly not. Does he have proof of a doctor that he “can’t wait in line?” Apparently.

And yes, I know nowadays, mobility issues don’t qualify, but that’s not my point.

The point is Disney could easily try to accuse CMs of faking whatever issue they have. But…I guarantee you there are a not-small number of them that do have some small documented issue that technically falls under the DAS umbrella, but while they actually don’t NEED the DAS, they say they do because, well, they can. And Disney would risk a very hefty lawsuit if they accused a person of lying when they in fact, on paper, have some sort of disability Disney allows DAS access for.

Maybe these changes are gonna fix a lot of that abuse. But I really don’t think Disney ever is going to go after their own CM disability cheaters.
Its obvious this cast members had the right connections to get the pass.

Folks with connections WILL get, even this new pass.

The cheaters will always win no matter what the rules are.

Grantwil93

I’m 5’11” and i haven’t had a problem. Racking my brain trying to think which ones you mean. Maybe HM because the side seats have a lower ceiling?
As a bigger individual, I never have worried about riding anything at Disney except FOP and 7 dwarves

Universal is like every vehicle is 7 dwarves mine train or something. The difference is vast.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I remember when Fastpass+ first came out. At first only a few attractions used it and the rest was standby. Then they made EVERYTHING Fastpass+ attractions.

It the change hit me when they made one of the queues of POTC a Fastpass+

Before that moment, POTC was always a walk on attraction, it moved a lot of folks with both queues taking standby riders.
Actually what you’re describing is the difference between fastpass 1.0 and 2.0

1.0 was a numbers based system that couldn’t swamp itself. 2.0 literally didn’t ruin itself by making almost everything prebooked and stuck in a reservation system

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And thats because of Disney’s policies. Simply change them and that solves plenty of issues w/o ticking people off and in the same breathe “in theory” please others. They want to simple cut people off of DAS in the hopes they sell them Genie+ its simple as that imo. I will say this tho the changes they are making will help tremendously unfortunately the re ride issue will still be there…
I’m not sure policy changes will fix this. Or all the disadvantages that are apparently going on

phillip9698

The core problem is you have to many people and not enough rides.

The only way a line skip can actually be a line skip is if it’s ultra premium product.

There can never be enough E Tickets under the current system, which is what people are scheming the system to ride. They aren’t skipping the line to ride the Tea Cups or Tiki Room.

Splash4eva

I’m not sure policy changes will fix this. Or all the disadvantages that are apparently going on
Well for starters capacity ultimately is the issue. Lack of entertainment. Less hours and things to do during the days besides rides/attractions. So again they are not addressing the root cause. This is the easy way out and another way to generate more revenue imo. Deal with potential backlash and i would hope they will behind closed doors not deny those of us who truly need it. Im truly curious how they plan on making this return to line queue work and how they plan on staffing it etc.

Tha Realest

Well for starters capacity ultimately is the issue. Lack of entertainment. Less hours and things to do during the days besides rides/attractions. So again they are not addressing the root cause. This is the easy way out and another way to generate more revenue imo. Deal with potential backlash and i would hope they will behind closed doors not deny those of us who truly need it. Im truly curious how they plan on making this return to line queue work and how they plan on staffing it etc.
What’s a more realistic solution to the problem that exists right now?

Suddenly scaling up capacity?

Or reconfiguring the existing system, now?

Tiana is about to come online. That’s going to be a big boost in capacity. Len’s speculated that virtually all of it would be consumed by DAS. How is merely boosting capacity going to solve that problem?

Disstevefan1

Well for starters capacity ultimately is the issue. Lack of entertainment. Less hours and things to do during the days besides rides/attractions. So again they are not addressing the root cause.
THIS.gif

Splash4eva

Tiana is about to come online. That’s going to be a big boost in capacity. Len’s speculated that virtually all of it would be consumed by DAS. How is merely boosting capacity going to solve that problem?
Ive already given plenty of suggestions on what to do to help ease the pain and granted these are some they are putting in place but imo looking to change the process is going to create more issues then solving problems. Just my thoughts. Again i dk how they plan on working this return to line but that seems ro be the biggest nightmare from an operations pov

Purduevian

At least for me, a very simple change to DAS/G+ could solve quite a few issues. Simply disallow DAS users from redeeming a LL while holding a DAS return time that is not yet redeemable.

Before people get mad again, I am NOT saying DAS users should not be allowed to use G+/LL. Simply that a DAS return time is treated the same as jumping in a Standby for a non-DAS user (A non-DAS user can't tap into a Pan LL while waiting in line for 7D, but a DAS user can grab a 7D return time and while "waiting" hop in a LL they hold a time for)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ive already given plenty of suggestions on what to do to help ease the pain and granted these are some they are putting in place but imo looking to change the process is going to create more issues then solving problems. Just my thoughts. Again i dk how they plan on working this return to line but that seems ro be the biggest nightmare from an operations pov
I think what they’re angling to do is creating more problems for a small group while easing the existing problems for a large group

But it’s probably not gonna work

Disstevefan1

I never knew there was such a thing as return to line thing?

Is it only folks with DAS get return to line?

Splash4eva

At least for me, a very simple change to DAS/G+ could solve quite a few issues. Simply disallow DAS users from redeeming a LL while holding a DAS return time that is not yet redeemable.

Before people get mad again, I am NOT saying DAS users should not be allowed to use G+/LL. Simply that a DAS return time is treated the same as jumping in a Standby for a non-DAS user (A non-DAS user can't tap into a Pan LL while waiting in line for 7D, but a DAS user can grab a 7D return time and while "waiting" hop in a LL they hold a time for)
As a DAS user who does buy Genie + i do believe this is one if the biggest “advantages” but Disney would he hard pressed to enforce this because then what happens is they will sell less Genie + imo. Its definitely something that can be looked at and definitely something i feel Disney could get away with legally if they really wanted to pursue this. Again tho party size and re rides are to me the biggest issue that is creating these problems beyond the obvious lack of capacity

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom