Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

flynnibus

Premium Member
The courts will rule on the question of whether the ADA has been violated. Take a look at the arguments that were made by the parties in A.L. v. Walt Disney World and in the complaint in the Six Flags litigation. The authority cited there is what the courts are considering as precedent.
The previous DAS case (A.L vs WDW) is less applicable because that case was really all about wanting the instant line skip (with multiple uses)... which is what that judgement was on -- finding that accommodation was not a reasonable accommodation for that family. The topics of documentation, registration, etc weren't really addressed because the family wasn't really challenging those elements.

The Six Flags case of course highlights and challenges those questions, and that is where we should expect the first real precedent on the matter (if it ever does goes to court). The main takeaways from AL vs WDW is that unlimited skipping was rejected based on Disney's assertions of it fundamentally impacting the product, that Disney was able to use the impact on other guests to make that claim (and not just other things like additional staffing, etc), and that Disney was able to use the standards of comparing usage data between the populations to make their case.

No one has ruled yet on the reasonableness of requiring documentation for this use case nor has the DOJ addressed it. It's an open field, where only the ADA language itself is the law of the land.

I don't think we disagree as much as you think. I didn't say the DOJ regulations are the end of the story and clearly the matter can be raised. But parties are going to rely heavily on those regulations in arguing what type of accommodations are reasonable, as well as whether a request for documentation would violate the ADA. That's what happens when there is no direct precedent. The courts just don't go off on their own.

But you were making the point that documentation is only referenced three times, and this isn't one of them. My point was, that doesn't constrain the court. The court can rule where the DOJ hasn't yet addressed (or someone can even challenge those). Sure the sides can use the other exceptions (or lack of) to make their arguments, but the court will be forging new ground regardless. It has the ADA language to guide them, as well as prior interpretations... but this spot is a gap. They will have to fill it - if a judgement is ever made.

I do wonder if anyone has the legs to see this through the courts though... or does the Access Board and DOJ get there first? Opinions filed by the DOJ flood this overall topic too.. without necessarily getting to the true Accessibility guidelines.

It's been so long.. maybe it will happen. Which glacial process will get there first? :)

ConfettiCupcake

Rider switch being the alternative to DAS would be a deterrent for anyone who doesn’t truly need the accommodations. It’s difficult to use it to gain anything over a guest without accommodations since it forces the party through the attraction twice. I would assume people would not be using it as a precaution in the same way they use DAS, and instead would attempt the line first or buy Genie. It would both eliminate some of the overuse brought on by people who legitimately qualified but don’t need to use it all the time, as well as discourage people who lie to get it as there’s much less to gain.

You can technically use it like DAS to be in two places at once, but the “fee” to do so is higher. Someone in your group now needs to physically be in that line.

Happyday

Anyone with a child who is too short to ride, yes. Beyond that I'm not sure, I've only seen it applied to children.
Actually it can be used by anyone if my husband and I want to go on a ride that the individual using DAS cannot or doesn't want to ride we use it. Prime example FOP is impossible for this individual to ride.

Angel Ariel

I’m clueless it’s been a long couple days, but I assumed it was something like most of your group is in line, when they reach the front you join them?

So if you left to ride another ride and they reach the front your outa luck?

Keep in mind I have no idea what I’m talking about so if someone else could step in and clarify that would be great.
Rider switch as it's typically been implemented when a group has a child that is too short to ride is that the family approaches the cast members at the entrance, cm verifies child is too short, and CM gives a ticket to the waiting party (this may be digital now, it's been a while since dd was too short). then party that's riding via standby enters the queue. While the first party is in the queue, the part that has the rider swap ticket is free to do anything else - go to a nearby attraction, eat, shop, etc (just as DAS is now). When the first party is done riding, the party that waited can now enter the first attraction via lightning lane. (Again back when we did this, the return was open ended - and there were no limits indicating you had to use that rider swap before riding another ride and using rider swap again (again, if this has gone digital this part may have changed).

Happyday

Rider switch being the alternative to DAS would be a deterrent for anyone who doesn’t truly need the accommodations. It’s difficult to use it to gain anything over a guest without accommodations since it forces the party through the attraction twice. I would assume people would not be using it as a precaution in the same way they use DAS, and instead would attempt the line first or buy Genie. It would both eliminate some of the overuse brought on by people who legitimately qualified but don’t need to use it all the time, as well as discourage people who lie to get it as there’s much less to gain.

You can technically use it like DAS to be in two places at once, but the “fee” to do so is higher. Someone in your group now needs to physically be in that line.
I'm confused how you all are figuring this. How are you going through twice how is the person needing DAS going to meet up to ride? How is this going to work if it is not possible for the DAS user to be at the ride. I'm thinking of situations like I've mentioned before.

ConfettiCupcake

I'm confused how you all are figuring this. How are you going through twice how is the person needing DAS going to meet up to ride? How is this going to work if it is not possible for the DAS user to be at the ride. I'm thinking of situations like I've mentioned before.

I’m just commenting with the assumption that rider switch would function how it currently does, and of course with the big assumption that it’s true that rider switch is the accommodation they’ll give for people who may have to leave lines.

Happyday

I’m just commenting with the assumption that rider switch would function how it currently does, and of course with the big assumption that it’s true that rider switch is the accommodation they’ll give for people who may have to leave lines.
I understand but from what I read that is what is being offered to some in Disneyland already. I am just confused. But then again that seems to be constant lately 🤣 If I am thinking this out right it can't function like it does now and be used as an alternative but again it's late and the brain is tired time for some sleep 😴

haveyoumetmark

I wonder of part of the reason Guardians and TRON are still using virtual queues is because of the DAS situation. With those rides' setup they can prohibit DAS users from riding more than twice (with a virtual queue and ILL), same as anyone without DAS.
Kind of a sad thought that they would do that to have as much ILL inventory as possible, but it makes some sense. Way past time for GOTG to be off VQ.

Section106

Rider switch won't work for my party. I have to pick up my wife from her wheelchair and place her into the ride car for those rides that don't have a wheelchair car. So she doesn't ride if I'm not there.

For the line leave/return "accomodation", I have to leave with her because she is legally blind and has slight dementia due to the periventricular lesions in her brain. She would get confused and lost if she had to leave a line and I had to stay.

Her limbic system is damaged affecting her emotions. Being in a line that she can't easily escape causes anxiety which then will set off a cascading chronic pain event. She has PTSD from the military and MS. She can't communicate effectively when she is upset which can lead to more trouble with those that don't know her.

This change is going to really affect our trips. We will abide by the new rules and we'll use G+ if we need to. I imagine we'll end up selling our DVC and finding other vacation options in the future.

And I drive because the TSA hurt her eight years ago when we were leaving Orlando.

pigglewiggle

Rider switch won't work for my party. I have to pick up my wife from her wheelchair and place her into the ride car for those rides that don't have a wheelchair car. So she doesn't ride if I'm not there.

For the line leave/return "accomodation", I have to leave with her because she is legally blind and has slight dementia due to the periventricular lesions in her brain. She would get confused and lost if she had to leave a line and I had to stay.

Her limbic system is damaged affecting her emotions. Being in a line that she can't easily escape causes anxiety which then will set off a cascading chronic pain event. She has PTSD from the military and MS. She can't communicate effectively when she is upset which can lead to more trouble with those that don't know her.

This change is going to really affect our trips. We will abide by the new rules and we'll use G+ if we need to. I imagine we'll end up selling our DVC and finding other vacation options in the future.

I would schedule the interview, talk to the healthcare professional and tell them everything you just said. I'm betting you would be approved for a DAS.

haveyoumetmark

And I drive because the TSA hurt her eight years ago when we were leaving Orlando.
I hope you and your wife get everything you need to continue to enjoy the parks like everyone else. I don’t see why she wouldn’t be eligible for DAS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom