New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Ayla

Btw, since Feb., I had thought about reinvesting in DVC. Things change and they've changed again. Let me know when you never change your mind about something.
So again, you have since changed your mind (again) about reinvesting in DVC because you'll have to stand in a line?

Happyday

It was part of the announcement last week. DAS users would have to wait 10 minutes after the tap in before you can book another attraction
1000002882.png

This is all I can find I would like to see what you saw as that would help me figure this all out.

mattpeto

I know this will argument will go on to the end of time around here. Visiting a theme park is still a luxury, this is not life and death.

DAS abuse has ruined it for people who really need it and for all other guests (paid Genie+ and standby lines). That's the reality. Something had to be done.

If you don't get DAS and you have a scenario that didn't warrant DAS pass, you can still get Genie+ to skip the lines. It's not like you're you can't enjoy the parks anymore.

There are alternate options to Genie+: rope drop, get in a ride at closing, use extending evening hours if you are at a deluxe.

Ayla

I know this will argument will go on to the end of time around here. Visiting a theme park is still a luxury, this is not life and death.

DAS abuse has ruined it for people who really need it and for all other guests (paid Genie+ and standby lines). That's the reality. Something had to be done.

If you don't get DAS and you have a scenario that didn't warrant DAS pass, you can still get Genie+ to skip the lines. It's not like you're you can't enjoy the parks anymore.

There are alternate options to Genie+: rope drop, get in a ride at closing, use extending evening hours if you are at a deluxe.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Weather_Lady

But these are the facts.

In my opinion, "fixing" DAS won't help.

As everyone says, more attractions would actually help.

The system is broken. It doesn't matter, Disney wins anyway.
Exactly.

Disney can't offer an efficient skip-the-line system of any kind, so long as it continues to build more hotels instead of more (and higher-capacity) attractions. (A few people have mentioned Universal's much more successful express pass benefit, but as others have pointed out, Universal has been careful to scale that benefit appropriately, offering it to guests at only the 3 most expensive hotels, and to a limited number of a la carte purchasers at extremely high prices, so there aren't enough guests using it to bog down standby lines to the same extent that LLs do at Disney.)

But as you say, Disney doesn't want to and doesn't care -- not when it can gaslight its guests into paying more. Instead of guests blaming Disney for failing to provide adequate attraction capacity and making them wait in longer lines, Disney has convinced guests that if lines are too long, it's THEIR OWN fault for not paying more to shorten their waits! Everybody loses, and Disney wins. There's just no incentive for Disney to ever make it better.

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

There’s no incentive for Disney to ever make it better.
In an ironic twist, I think Genie+ may be their incentive. Some predicted this might be the case. And it looks like issues with DAS are only going to heighten that (Because I don’t believe for a second this DAS “crackdown” is going to have any kind of lasting impact. That genie is out of the bottle, and DAS usage is only going to increase, for a multitude of reasons.)

I’m not in the camp that thinks Disney has just done a horrible job this past decade or so. I think they’ve done a decent job - but going all in on capacity hasn’t been a priority so much as shiny new rides and updating food for the social media era. I think they will soon realize they have no choice but to go all in on capacity. They may still want, say, 40 minute lines to make Genie worth it. But these 2 hour plus lines have got to be addressed - imho.

Andrew25

Would "fixing" DAS be a first step at potentially providing a different skip the line alternative that isn't complicated? If I were Disney, I'd just offer a very expensive all-access once per ride express line offering. No onsite guests get it for free, maybe a discounted price. This would then allow them to artificially reduce the number of guests utilizing it, and reduce the number of attractions required to run/justify the lack of capacity with the amount of guests utilizing Genie.

I would then start charging skip the line access at some of the meet & greet locations and preferred seating at stage shows.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can’t believe people are talking about Tiana’s opening as adding capacity.

It’s splash mountain with a Princess in it.

It’s only bringing back the capacity that previously existed.

That’s the problem. They keep re-theming rides instead of building new ones.
That one had me thinking the mushrooms I had for lunch were “field grade” and not farm grade…

…reopening a closed ride is in no way “adding capacity”

Last edited:

Section106

Tiana is about to come online. That’s going to be a big boost in capacity. Len’s speculated that virtually all of it would be consumed by DAS. How is merely boosting capacity going to solve that problem?

Will TBA has a wheelchair accessible line? To ride SM we would be in the standby queue until the stairs and then we'd be lead by a CM through the exit to the unloading side where we would wait until the CMs were ready for us. Same with BTRR. Enter through the exit.

Of course we haven't been riding too many roller coaster type rides the last few years. I'm in my mid fifties now and enjoy the shows, shopping, and table service. :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Would "fixing" DAS be a first step at potentially providing a different skip the line alternative that isn't complicated? If I were Disney, I'd just offer a very expensive all-access once per ride express line offering. No onsite guests get it for free, maybe a discounted price. This would then allow them to artificially reduce the number of guests utilizing it, and reduce the number of attractions required to run/justify the lack of capacity with the amount of guests utilizing Genie.

I would then start charging skip the line access at some of the meet & greet locations and preferred seating at stage shows.
There are no uncomplicated solutions…

And want to know why?…

…wait for it…

Happyday

Will TBA has a wheelchair accessible line? To ride SM we would be in the standby queue until the stairs and then we'd be lead by a CM through the exit to the unloading side where we would wait until the CMs were ready for us. Same with BTRR. Enter through the exit.

Of course we haven't been riding too many roller coaster type rides the last few years. I'm in my mid fifties now and enjoy the shows, shopping, and table service. :)
Good question I would like to know that as well.

Angel Ariel

The first hour is by far the best hour…because it closely remembles the parks as they were built to operate…

But even that gets screwed up too often based on the same kinda “tip video” nonsense that is the root cause of the DAS abuse
And DAS users that need it are also the ones less likely to be making it to rope drop, so that first hour isn't the advantage for them it is for those that abuse it.

Angel Ariel

Well this is circular…

But then natural instinct is to wonder why the most crowded amusement parks in the world?

Where do you go in a slow day? The Vegas strip on Saturday night or the nyc subway 10 minutes after the macys parade rolls by?
This is why the individual need matters. A person can be able to handle the outdoor walkways, general location of the parks, etc- and thrive and crave the rides themselves, while also having disability-related issues that result in struggles with the queue environment.

Honestly, it sucks to try and explain it here because explaining gives people a roadmap to abuse, but not explaining just leads to a lot of assumptions that these caregivers are being irresponsible.

Not being snarky here, it's just truly exhausting and defeating. Yeah, it's complicated to understand, I do truly get that. And. It's 1,000 more times complicated to live through every day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom