New Countries Being Added to Epcot?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Awhile back, there was discussion of 3 new countries being added to Epcot. With the Fanstasyland expansion has that been pushed to the side? Are there any other plans for updating Epcot?
Fanboys were discussing it.

It anything were really happening you`d know about it.

jt04

iF Illuminations is a roadblock to the possibility of adding a new country they it is time to rethink the value of continuing the show. Even if this were not the case I think it is time for a new nightly show.

I can see where dealing with gas is a hazard and the need for a buffer. But if it is a hazard Disney has an excuse to reimagine the show and they can also rightly claim that they are being environmentally sensitive. Think of the carbon footprint that would be eliminated. :lookaroun

This thread has inspired me. Off to the Imagineering forum. :wave:

"Beyond Illuminations".......

aladdin2007

Sorry NO, on the “there's no room left for counties”.

Some slots were left as "buffers" only because they did not “sell” all the slots and did not want all the countries piled up on one side of the park. There have always been 19 pads (12 of which are used and 7 remain). In fact, the Africa slot or the one between it and Germany are the most like to be used next as that is to only place where two “unused” pads are adjacent to each other. Some exceptions apply (EX: Switzerland was to have gone next to Germany to facilitate the Matterhorn lending atmosphere to both pavilions).

If there was no room left, why would they have attempted to sell countries like Russia, Spain, Switzerland, Africa group, etc. the spaces? If a country gets serious and wants either of the slots between the Africa Refreshment stand and Germany, they will take it, and relocate the temporary facilities there to the other side of the service road or another unused pad maintaining the appropriate safety procedures.

The only way they will remove a country, is if the country decides to leave. Since rent/maintenance now is much less than the upfront costs they invested in their slots, it is extremely unlikely that any country will leave (short of fiscal collapse), and it would not surprise me that there was some insurance requirements to provide funding for these types of contingencies.

In short: Disney will not evict a country to replace it with another!

I agree, as that theory just does not add up that one needs to be replaced in order to get a new one. Those 7 pads are their for your future enjoyment if you will, and after just looking at a copy of the layout blueprints again, 7 future spots is correct. I think it was also brought up that only a very small pavilion could go between Germany and Italy? Thats incorrect as those pads were designed to be of equal size, 3 acres each if I remember correctly. They may be buffer zones now but they arent designed to stay that way forever should the right funding and sponsorship come along. Spain has been the biggest rumor over the years along with the others mentioned Russia and Switzerland, Denmark etc etc., South Korea tried too at one point but Disney said no.

Bender!

Would they really be so willing to replace Illuminations? I still love seeing it everytime I go and it still draws an impressive crowd every time I've seen it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin, what are your thoughts here? As our resident EPCOT historian, do you feel there are plots available for expansion?
There are, it just depends on how much the company is prepared to pay to make them usable, from the propane storage area to relocating trailers and workshops elsewhere.

Sadly though this is a company who thinks onstage private function areas are better than having the areas open to paying day guests.

s8film40

No buildings are back there due to the safety issue that I already mentioned. The area backstage here is used for a staging area for trees and shrubs for this very reason. This is not an option. If it was they would've put another country in a long time ago.

While I don't know what your source is for this information, it sounds a lot like the "excuses" you generally here from the front line park management. Generally when questioned about things like this rather than say we really don't know or we have no control over things like this they will say things like what you mentioned. They will usually either go one of two ways with it, it wasn't intended to be that way or it can't be done because of ___.

I don't buy the buffer zone excuse for several reasons. First of all many countries have been planned over the years for these "buffer zones" I don't think these were just blue sky pet projects for Imagineers, there had to be some genuine interest on the part of the company to actually do this.

I also don't buy the "safety issue" with the propane storage. Yes I agree that the issue is there but it certainly wouldn't have any affect on a large scale project like adding a new land or country. Disney used to have a saying "If you can dream it, you can do it", If they ever want to add a country there they can and will find a solution.

Bravo 229

While I don't know what your source is for this information, it sounds a lot like the "excuses" you generally here from the front line park management. Generally when questioned about things like this rather than say we really don't know or we have no control over things like this they will say things like what you mentioned. They will usually either go one of two ways with it, it wasn't intended to be that way or it can't be done because of ___.

I don't buy the buffer zone excuse for several reasons. First of all many countries have been planned over the years for these "buffer zones" I don't think these were just blue sky pet projects for Imagineers, there had to be some genuine interest on the part of the company to actually do this.

I also don't buy the "safety issue" with the propane storage. Yes I agree that the issue is there but it certainly wouldn't have any affect on a large scale project like adding a new land or country. Disney used to have a saying "If you can dream it, you can do it", If they ever want to add a country there they can and will find a solution.

My family has a manufacturing shop here in Florida and during our last fire inspection I was read the riot act because we had three propane tanks just sitting around inside the shop. Now these are just small three foot tall tanks, but we were told we are only allowed to have two tanks and they must be kept locked up outside at least 10 ft away from the building. So it is plausible that with the size of tank needed for the barges, they may not be able to have any buildings/guest areas within a certain radius of the tank.

WDW FTW

I feel they need India or Nepal.

Countries like Norway are cool, but don't really represent large populations of the world, such as India. I mean, over a billion people live there.

I understand all the politics...I'm just stating my wish.

It is true that India is a largely populated subcontinent, but the reason Norway is in there is because it does a good job representing the entire scandinavian providence, just with cultural focus on norweigens/vikings. you could say India is slammed between asia and africa and therefore is partially represented in AK with everest, and the animals that represent a large part of their culture. I agree with whoever stated that removing a country would be bad PR, china and japan is somewhat repetitive but does act as a sort of "we dont believe that all of asia is stereotypical" icon. Haha idk just my thoughts.

Bender!

It is true that India is a largely populated subcontinent, but the reason Norway is in there is because it does a good job representing the entire scandinavian providence, just with cultural focus on norweigens/vikings. you could say India is slammed between asia and africa and therefore is partially represented in AK with everest, and the animals that represent a large part of their culture. I agree with whoever stated that removing a country would be bad PR, china and japan is somewhat repetitive but does act as a sort of "we dont believe that all of asia is stereotypical" icon. Haha idk just my thoughts.
I think its more up to whatever country is willing to fund a showcase...

s8film40

My family has a manufacturing shop here in Florida and during our last fire inspection I was read the riot act because we had three propane tanks just sitting around inside the shop. Now these are just small three foot tall tanks, but we were told we are only allowed to have two tanks and they must be kept locked up outside at least 10 ft away from the building. So it is plausible that with the size of tank needed for the barges, they may not be able to have any buildings/guest areas within a certain radius of the tank.

When your talking about something on the scale of a construction project like building a new country, moving or somehow satisfying the safety regulations of storing propane and pyrotechnics is a minor issue. Is it an issue, yes but if they want to build something there they can easily find a way to make it work.

WDW FTW

I think its more up to whatever country is willing to fund a showcase...

Countries need to grant permission aka "funding" first? hmm interesting well i hope IF there is a new country that they make it fit in to the rest of the world showcase and try not to turn into a super technological country. But if they did do that, wouldnt that mean an entire renovation of the countries? :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Countries need to grant permission aka "funding" first? hmm interesting well i hope IF there is a new country that they make it fit in to the rest of the world showcase and try not to turn into a super technological country. But if they did do that, wouldnt that mean an entire renovation of the countries? :shrug:
Most of the existing pavilions were funded mainly from companies or governments within each country. Disney paid didly squat for most of them. Hence no new pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom