New Concept Art

Ignohippo

Original Poster
prime example the highline and elevator removal

The highline is still being built on the West Side and part of it is almost complete by the Food Truck area. Not sure why you'd say that. It was never going to be built in the new areas or part of those plans.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
Again. It's a shopping mall. Sorry but I don't think me not being outraged over this means I want them to do as little as possible or I'm settling. I don't feel that way at all. Not sure why people want to think that.

There are people who just weren't going to pleased with this project any which way you cut it.

I'm ecstatic with this project in every way - just hate the way it looks.

And yes, your comments are 100% consistent with "settling". Basically you're saying "it's a mall, so why would it look an better than any other mall?" Because this is Disney, and there was a time when we expected more from them than this.

Pleasure Island, The Marketplace and The West Side all looked nothing like anywhere else you could go. They were unique and interesting. This looks like it could be "any mall USA" and has no only no personality but also looks like a complete hodge-podge of architectural styles.

Disney Springs looks like it was designed by architects in California, being given orders by suits in California, who are entirely too scared of their client to do anything creative or think outside the box. It looks like they were told to make it look like Florida but then given examples of places in California. It also looks like their budget was scaled way down and they just threw up their hands. Their previous work at DTD Anaheim and The Grove is a million times better than this.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
These images are probably more renderings of what is being done that conceptual images intended to evoke a feeling.

You can still tell architectural style though.

As an artist myself, it isn't too hard to imagine what this will look like. It completely lacks the style and imagination Disney is known for.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
this concept art is nothing like the previous art we saw that implied this area would be covered.

and the reason this is frustrating that it looks like a mall is that its not called a mall, its suppose to look and feel like its name " a town center" and this art looks ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE A TOWN!!

would be nice to see a fake road, taller buildings with more theming, and actually use the upper floors in some of them.

would of been cool to see a disney springs boutique hotel in the town center area.

First, "town center" has become a generic term for mall. We've had multiple malls around here named "...... town center" come and go. I don't think the idea was ever to have DS look like a town.

Second, I completely agree with you about the hotel idea. I've always said DTD needs an adult-oriented hotel to drive business to the shops and add to the atmosphere. The close proximity of the hotels at City Walk (especially the Hard Rock) adds a lot to it and an adults-only hotel is something WDW sorely lacks.

lazyboy97o

First, "town center" has become a generic term for mall. We've had multiple malls around here named "...... town center" come and go. I don't think the idea was ever to have DS look like a town.
This sort of gets back to that over obsession with narrative. To itself, Disney Springs is a town. The odd caveat could be that as a contemporary town, there was a time when the old town center was closed to vehicular traffic and redeveloped as a mall complete with adjacent parking structures. To give this concept another semi-Disney connection, such redevelopment of town centers into malls is what Victor Gruen advocates in The Heart of Our Cities, the book that is essentially the blueprint for EPCOT's organizational scheme.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
It is being built but the area on top is not going to be a seating area as was originally planned and as was shown in the concept art.

Yeah, I think that was "artistic license" on the original art but I agree it would've been great.

The reason for the highline was because of customer complaints of no shade, not for seating, etc.

It would've been great to see additional seating on top worked into the plan, but then you have more of the problem they're trying to alleviate since the top section would have no shade.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah, I think that was "artistic license" on the original art but it would've been great.

The reason for the highline was because of customer complaints of no shade, not for seating, etc.

No, not just artistic license, the plan was to have the top of the main part of the highline as a seating area.

mm121

The highline is still being built on the West Side and part of it is almost complete by the Food Truck area. Not sure why you'd say that. It was never going to be built in the new areas or part of those plans.
built yes, but not built as initially designed and fullfilling the original theme of a high line style park
I'm ecstatic with this project in every way - just hate the way it looks.

And yes, your comments are 100% consistent with "settling". Basically you're saying "it's a mall, so why would it look an better than any other mall?" Because this is Disney, and there was a time when we expected more from them than this.

Pleasure Island, The Marketplace and The West Side all looked nothing like anywhere else you could go. They were unique and interesting. This looks like it could be "any mall USA" and has no only no personality but also looks like a complete hodge-podge of architectural styles.

Disney Springs looks like it was designed by architects in California, being given orders by suits in California, who are entirely too scared of their client to do anything creative or think outside the box. It looks like they were told to make it look like Florida but then given examples of places in California. It also looks like their budget was scaled way down and they just threw up their hands. Their previous work at DTD Anaheim and The Grove is a million times better than this.

Disney really should have had a florida firm design it, though it shouldn't matter who or where designed it as especailly the town center section should have been an all original creation and as no other mall is the theme of an old world florida town they had a blank slate to draw from

unfortunately they are going modern aka bland, vs being creative

which is ashame as the detail on the landing is wonderful, would be interesting to know if all of the DS project is being designed by the same firm or different firms, my guess would be different firms as the quality and detail is so drastically different

Second, I completely agree with you about the hotel idea. I've always said DTD needs an adult-oriented hotel to drive business to the shops and add to the atmosphere. The close proximity of the hotels at City Walk (especially the Hard Rock) adds a lot to it and an adults-only hotel is something WDW sorely lacks.
Disney isn't suppose to be generic though, and just because other places have corrupted the town center term, just means that disney should have tried to go up and beyond to establish the theme

This sort of gets back to that over obsession with narrative. To itself, Disney Springs is a town. The odd caveat could be that as a contemporary town, there was a time when the old town center was closed to vehicular traffic and redeveloped as a mall complete with adjacent parking structures. To give this concept another semi-Disney connection, such redevelopment of town centers into malls is what Victor Gruen advocates in The Heart of Our Cities, the book that is essentially the blueprint for EPCOT's organizational scheme.
your just letting them off easy.. even if the town was blocked to traffic and altered, the whole town wouldn't of been flattened and rebuilt, there would still be traces of the original area left, rather than a fountain in the middle of the street, and the buildings would of been taller and not all perfectly shiny new, even if some of the buildings were new there would still be like an old firehouse or church or something historic standing remaining from the original town.

Yeah, I think that was "artistic license" on the original art but I agree it would've been great.

It would've been great to see additional seating on top worked into the plan, but then you have more of the problem they're trying to alleviate since the top section would have no shade.

concept artists dont just make things up, they work off of a base set of plans and talk to the client to find out what the ultimate vision is.

and removing access to the top destroys the whole story behind the train tracks

Kman101

I'm not settling. It's my opinion and sorry most don't like it. I think in this case it's a lot of ridiculous whining about what you think it should look like versus what it does look like. I can't believe the reaction actually. Wow. What would be the point of being ed off that they aren't doing what we think they should? What does that accomplish? Why are you all so upset over this? Seriously? I'm not being smart but I don't appreciate being attacked at "settling" when I don't agree in this case. It's not settling for lower quality just because you personally believe it's not what you think it should be. Why does that invoke ire? It's the truth (about it being a shopping mall). Again, wow. It's complaining to complain in this case and you're all using the fact that we are settling as an argument. I'm not buying it. Not in this case.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not settling. It's my opinion and sorry most don't like it. I think in this case it's a lot of ridiculous whining about what you think it should look like versus what it does look like.

One last attempt to get you to understand the difference between doing more, and just doing government work...

When Disney added the West Side... did they just make it a shopping mall? No, they made it MORE than a shopping mall by adding restaurants fronted by nationally known people... they added a unique world known performance troupe... they brought in a world famous live rock venue... they had famous star laden locations like Planet Hollywood.. they anchored their new concept Disney Quest.

That's an example of AMBITION... and trying to make something special and worthy of being a Disney property. Now, I'm not trying to say Westside was the cats meow or the best thing... it's simply an example of ambition and trying to be more than 'just some food and shops'.

Can you honestly look at Disney Springs and see that same level of ambition and drive to make something unique and worth visiting?

Or does it look like 'a shopping mall' and nothing more.

Little Green Men

To me, a mall is all in one building with stores and food courts. This is more an outdoor shopping complex. The addition of the amphicars, the Boathouse, and Morimoto Asia, and new night entertainment are all bringing things that can't always be experienced.

LL2WDW

Can you honestly look at Disney Springs and see that same level of ambition and drive to make something unique and worth visiting?

Or does it look like 'a shopping mall' and nothing more.

Are you for or against Disney Springs? I'm not quite sure after reading this.

lazyboy97o

your just letting them off easy.. even if the town was blocked to traffic and altered, the whole town wouldn't of been flattened and rebuilt, there would still be traces of the original area left, rather than a fountain in the middle of the street, and the buildings would of been taller and not all perfectly shiny new, even if some of the buildings were new there would still be like an old firehouse or church or something historic standing remaining from the original town.
I'm not letting anyone off. I've had plenty of critiques of the story behind Disney Springs, namely that it is self negating and does not hold up well. Even then, you are significantly underestimated the destructive wave of urban renewal. Streets being replaced with plazas and historic structures being leveled is not out of the question. Such ideas also tend to not favor mixed use and therefore with a focus on shopping the result is a mall plopped into an urban core.

concept artists dont just make things up, they work off of a base set of plans and talk to the client to find out what the ultimate vision is.
In its truest sense concept art is about projecting an emotion. It is not based on plans, but more ideas from which the plans are derived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom