New Concept Art

Disneyhead'71

It's a Yogi-ism
Really!?!
SHOW+BIZ+BEAR+5.PNG

mm121

I get it but everywhere else is fairly well themed. The intent is a mall. Maybe it will look better in person. I'm not saying I like the look either but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I guess I'm "settling" for lesser quality (which I'm not but again, it's a shopping mall). I guess I'm missing why it's so awful. I had zero expectations for what it would look like so when I saw the concept art it wasn't at all thrilling but it doesn't surprise me. I mean, they do a decent job on the parking garage but it's still not enough either. It's not a theme park, it's a shopping plaza. Downtown Disney in Anaheim isn't exactly that thrilling either (which is what I thought of when I saw the "art")

this concept art is nothing like the previous art we saw that implied this area would be covered.

and the reason this is frustrating that it looks like a mall is that its not called a mall, its suppose to look and feel like its name " a town center" and this art looks ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE A TOWN!!

would be nice to see a fake road, taller buildings with more theming, and actually use the upper floors in some of them.

would of been cool to see a disney springs boutique hotel in the town center area.

Little Green Men

New renderings are up on Save Pleasure Island:
http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2014/12/dtd-update-town-center-concept-art.html

I cannot put into words how much I hate the architectural style of this place. It looks generic and cheap. Part mediterranean/part spanish/part California. Whatever look they are going for, it just doesn't work at all IMO.
Idk how this looks cheap or generic. Yeah, another mall looks like this but where I'm from nothing looks like this. I'm sure most people coming from out of state don't see malls like this here they're from.

MarkTwain

Pleased to see the Edison going into the AC is looking more and more likely. :) That alone could make the project for me.

Disappointed to see that it looks like the Empress Lilly won't be getting its smokestacks and paddlewheel again. All the millions they're spending on this project, it's disappointing they won't spend a few thousand to get the Empress looking like a real riverboat again.

Kman101

did pleasure island look anything like a bar street you knew?

obviously disney shouldn't be trying to do better when people don't want them to anymore...

Again. It's a shopping mall. Sorry but I don't think me not being outraged over this means I want them to do as little as possible or I'm settling. I don't feel that way at all. Not sure why people want to think that.

There are people who just weren't going to pleased with this project any which way you cut it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again. It's a shopping mall.

Why should Disney even bother with unique or doing more with attitudes like yours?

Why build a dome for space mountain? It's a just a roller coaster.

Why put moasics in the castle? It's just a walkway

Why paint that? It's just a trash can

If you want average and same as everywhere else, why on earth do you throw your money away paying to goto Disney?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why should Disney even bother with unique or doing more with attitudes like yours?

Why build a dome for space mountain? It's a just a roller coaster.

Why put moasics in the castle? It's just a walkway

Why paint that? It's just a trash can

If you want average and same as everywhere else, why on earth do you throw your money away paying to goto Disney?

This! Nothing that a guest sees in a Disney Park should be thought of as "just a". Disney parks always set themselves apart because of their attention to details, everything should be thought of as part of the overall experience.

Figment2005

This! Nothing that a guest sees in a Disney Park should be thought of as "just a". Disney parks always set themselves apart because of their attention to details, everything should be thought of as part of the overall experience.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but CGI concept art never really does a good job with showing every little detail. I know details have been showing up in the project that would not be able to translate well in concept art.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not disagreeing with you, but CGI concept art never really does a good job with showing every little detail. I know details have been showing up in the project that would not be able to translate well in concept art.

Details in the finishes is not what Disney has been lacking.. in fact, its been what they are incorrectly obsessed with and missing the bigger picture.

And why they keep building 'air heads' - nice to look at, but empty inside.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But on the flip side we have seen plenty of concept art that overpromises on what we are going to get.

Figment2005

Details in the finishes is not what Disney has been lacking.. in fact, its been what they are incorrectly obsessed with and missing the bigger picture.

And why they keep building 'air heads' - nice to look at, but empty inside.
I can't argue about that, Disney does tend to focus too much on the details. However, the airhead analogy is in the eye of the beholder. Different people look for different things.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't argue about that, Disney does tend to focus too much on the details

It's not them 'focusing on the details' - but rather building ornate detail on top of soulless efforts. They are spending all this time and energy on Decorating things... and missing the core element of the thing they are decorating. So you end up with this really pretty attraction that doesn't resonate with people and they just go 'its ok...'. They aren't blowing people away, nor are they sinking their hooks into people because the attractions are lacking in the core elements that make people love them.

So when people say "its just a mall" - they are validating what Disney is doing... focusing on decoration and skin-deep elements while missing on the soul and core of the attraction. Hence... air heads.

However, the airhead analogy is in the eye of the beholder. Different people look for different things.

Do you want an attraction that is amazing to look at but is no fun and doesn't make you want to ride again? Do you want a show that is elaborate, but doesn't actually move you or establish a connection with you? It's not 'eye of the beholder' - yes, not all entertainment resonates with everyone, but if you put lipstick on a pig.. you won't find people who are fans of the lipstick.

Do you feel New Fantasyland has the substance that keeps drawing you back?
Do you feel The Little Mermaid delivers an experience to match the effort put into it's exterior?
and I can go on and on. More often than not, Disney is delivering airheads... and conditioning fans to focus on the ornate level of detail they are putting into things vs. even considering if any of it actually works.

It would appear the current WDI has been brought up to adore the attention to detail in decorations and settings... and hence they spent all their energy on that vs. recognizing that stuff's purpose is to SUPPORT the attraction's core story telling, place making, and experiences you are trying to guide the guest through... not try to be the attraction itself.

lazyboy97o

These images are probably more renderings of what is being done that conceptual images intended to evoke a feeling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom