New Coaster Rumor @ DHS ??

hauntdmansion79

How many people have actually seen "Wind in the Willows"? How many kids could tell you Cyril's relationship to J. Thaddeus?

And yet some were willing to strap themselves to a Mr. Toad's Wild Ride vehicle to save that attraction from destruction.

A good ride is a good ride, regardless of the character's popularity (just as a popular character like Stictch does not guarantee a good attraction.)

Excellent point! This is so true!

I know people like The Incredibles, but I don't think that it is as popular as Toy Story, Nemo, or even Monsters Inc. I think because it followed such a great run of Pixar movies, everyone went to see it and it was boosted in box office numbers.

Crush's Coaster, from the video does look like it has more to it than Primeval Whirl. I do hope it's not too carnival-style though. I personally don't like to spin.

dxwwf3

I really hope this rumor comes true. Ratatouille is IN MY OPINION the best animated film ever and certainly deserves an attraction in the Studios. And I've heard a lot of positive things about the Crush coster as well. I say bring it on!

ToTBellHop

That would be my question to. I am fine with it if it is, but a little surprised. :shrug:
it was mentioned recently that there would be an effort to create rides around the time that a film the ride is based on is actually being produced, not years later. It doesn't really matter what a ride is based on anyway--a good ride is a good ride and will have long lines. I am a little concerned about the ride system (and its capacity), but I'm sure the imagineers can think of something. I'm pretty sure the idea would be to have a ride operating around the time that DVDs hit the shelves.

CTXRover

I rode Crush's Coaster back in June shortly after it opened. It is very different than Primeval Whirl and is in fact a lot of fun and a ride with a similar ride system/layout would be a welcome addition imo.

I didn't think it was anything major, but certainly a solid C to possibly a D ticket if it had a bit more themeing and backstory. The track at points goes nearly vertical on some turns, and creates very unique sensations. One of the concerns I would have would be capacity. The ride vehicles seat 4 total, with two groups of two facing back to back (so for the first part of the ride that contained some brief dark ride themeing, you are either traveling forwards or backwards and what you see does differ a bit). Like Primeval Whirl, I would imagine capacity could be an issue but WDW always seems to put that into consideration before constructing a ride.

The coaster started out in a nicely themed dock area, traveled outside for a brief second or two, then went through a series of dark ride scenes pretty quickly before going up the lift hill which in Crush's case was themed as the inside of a submarine. THen the actual coaster part started, and is the highlight of the experience. Really a lot of fun. However, somewhat light on themeing. Think Space Mountain, but instead of stars it was bubbles projected everywhere.

I'm curious how they will theme it to Ratatouille, which I think certainly deserves an attraction, but doesn't intuitively match this type of ride system for me. But I'm sure they can figure that out if this rumor is true. Perhaps, like Remy, the coaster part will simulate us being tossed around the kitchen? I don't know. If done well though, it doesn't necessarily mean it will date itself and I think another ride at DHS is certainly a plus.

DisneyGigi

it was mentioned recently that there would be an effort to create rides around the time that a film the ride is based on is actually being produced, not years later. It doesn't really matter what a ride is based on anyway--a good ride is a good ride and will have long lines. I am a little concerned about the ride system (and its capacity), but I'm sure the imagineers can think of something. I'm pretty sure the idea would be to have a ride operating around the time that DVDs hit the shelves.
I did read that on here I think... Smart marketing too with the DVD, I didn't think of that. I am glad to see The Studios getting some love, looks like there are going to be alot of changes to look forward to.

jt04

The ride capacity should be around 900-1000 per hour. Not sure how this compares to other D ticket dark ride capacity (Buzz, PPF) Anyone know? The movie has already made $350 million and still has many places it has not been released. Don't misunderestimate the rat. Finally I believe the ride system fits better with Ratatouille than Crush. And Crush seems very popular over in DLP. So, it all adds up that this would be a very popular ride IMHO of course.:)

RSoxNo1

The ride capacity should be around 900-1000 per hour. Not sure how this compares to other D ticket dark ride capacity (Buzz, PPF) Anyone know? The movie has already made $350 million and still has many places it has not been released. Don't misunderestimate the rat. Finally I believe the ride system fits better with Ratatouille than Crush. And Crush seems very popular over in DLP. So, it all adds up that this would be a very popular ride IMHO of course.:)

900-1000 people per hour is very low. I would think that they would make this ride have a higher capacity, be it dual tracks a la TSM or dual loading/unloading stations

ToTBellHop

what Disney could do is have a single track go through the dark ride sections, and then have the track split so trains either go to one of the coaster portions or another--the issue with increasing capacity is that you can only have so many block sections on a coaster, but if they have the cars move through the dark ride section in a controlled manner (I'm not sure if Crush's Coaster is propelling the cars or if they travel through the dark ride portion by gravity) and then split for the coaster portion, capacity increases. The cheapest method would probably be to just create trains, though.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
i don't wanna see another pixar ride:fork:

I think you'd better get used to it- I have a feeling this will not be the last Pixar themed attraction WDW will be getting. This attraction is planned for "Pixar Land." What else were you expecting?

Ratatouille seems like an odd choice for a coaster. I'd have gone with The Incredibles or Cars, but if the rumors here are true, it seems as if their time is coming.

comics101

As much as I liked Ratatouille, if they build this, its going to date itself fast.

I agree. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out. I just can't picture a roller coaster themed to Ratatouille. A dark ride sure, but a roller coaster??m I don't know...

PeoplemoverTTA

After watching the video of Crush's Coaster and reading some of these posts, I am encouraged...

...I like the idea of combining dark ride elements with a bit of a thrill ride (doesn't seem like too much, although I'm not a big fan of spinning). I also think the areas where the ride speeds up and spins would go nicely with scenes from the movie where Remy is avoiding human feet or darting through the kitchen...

I must admit, I feel better about this (and less cranky!) :D

MuRkErY

I would guess that it's certainly possible that Disney has done some testing of the waters in the approach you suggest above, but I would be careful about believing they put all that much weight into what they find.

The issue is that the users of these forums aren't really the target audience that Disney would try to please. Most posters on forums such as this are die-hard Disney nuts who tend to be MUCH more critical of the attractions and rides put in place. Many of the posters here are Cast Members, and thus won't really be brining in any revenue to Disney anyway as they aren't spending much money on gate admission or souvineers and such.

The average family that goes to WDW is the target market and many of them would be thrilled with an attraction that most of us on this board might be very dissapointed in...

Understand what I'm trying to say...?

I'm not sure how much weight Disney puts into our opinions, or the Disney communities (WDW Magic, Miceage, Jim Hill, Visions Fantastic, Laughing Place etc etc) as a whole.

I think how-ever they would be stupid to ignore us.

I think the average family is as disappointed as us when it comes to mediocre or bad attractions, they just do not generally tend to have anywhere to voice it unless they get surveyed, or feel bad enough that they go to Guest Relations. I'm pretty sure the average family would have felt as let down about the refurb’d JII as anybody on here. It might have been a bit more emotionally painful for the people on here because they remember the original so fondly, but I'm pretty sure the average family would still be like "Well, that was a waste of time, what a load of crap".

The fact is, and I hope this is not the case, Disney should never be aiming to cater to the average family’s so called “Expectations” because the average family go to Disney to be surprised and amazed by things they them-self’s thought could never have been possible in something such as a theme park. Something such as a, ToT leaves the elevator shaft moment, a massive yeti swinging down on you moment, a “blast off” on Mission Space moment, a Soarin over the Golden Gate Bridge moment, a Finale of Wishes moment.

Also, I doubt you will find a place where so many people know so much about the Disney theme parks such as somewhere as here, or Micechat etc… If you were aiming to improve something who’s advice would you heed, the expert or the rookie. Yes sometimes some of the ideas on here can be over the top (Such as never, ever updating an attraction) but on the whole I think if you took the consensus of opinions from WDW Magic, and implemented them at the parks, the parks on a whole would be a vastly better place.

Yes Disney’s target market is the average family in the end and not us…. But the reason Disney draws in the average family is because 9 times out of 10 they exceed the average families expectations, which is why the average family comes back again. I find that too exceed the average families expectations Disney should be meeting, or even exceeding the very Knowledgeable Disney communities expectations.

As Walt said it’s all in the details, where as we might consciously notice these details and the average guest might not, the average guest still feels it in the end run, they still feel these details, and it all adds up to exceeding there expectations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom