New Coaster Rumor @ DHS ??

jt04

I have noticed that only Screamscape has this "rumor" and nobody else has confirmed it. Anyone here able to shed any light on this rumor?:confused:

polarboi

I really hope this rumor comes true. Ratatouille is IN MY OPINION the best animated film ever and certainly deserves an attraction in the Studios.

So glad someone agrees with me on this. I think it's unfortunate that the trailers for Ratatouille weren't better, because I almost didn't see the film after having seen the trailers and was only convinced because of the 9 minute "preview" with Brad Bird that was on Disney's website. The film itself blew me away. I'm at a place in my life (young, single, childless professional) where animated films aren't usually my first choice for entertainment, and I had been wondering whether maybe I hadn't just outgrown them, since I hadn't seen anything in years that recaptured the magic of films like The Lion King for me. After seeing Ratatouille, I found that magic again. :) And I went back to see it several more times.

As for the coaster, I think this could be a great concept. Crush's Coaster is tame enough for the whole family but adds its own "spin" (ha ha) on the thrill ride, plus it's got dark ride portions for those of us who love dark rides. Maybe not an E-ticket, but definitely a welcome attraction to the parks, and theming it to something that isn't Toy Story or Nemo would be uber-fabulous.

By the way, for those who don't like spinning, I feel your pain. I'm an anti-spinner myself. But I've learned to enjoy the few spinning attractions in the parks while doped up on non-drowsy dramamine, and I have a lot of fun! (I also just rode DL's Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin for the first time this month, and man am I jealous! Why don't we have one of those? :cry: I thought I'd hate it for the spinning, but surprisingly it adds to the attraction, which I really enjoyed.)

-p.b. :cool:

gusgoose

As for Ratatouille vs. The Incredibles...

It just seems to me that the main characters of Ratatouille are more marketable. I can see the main characters walking around the park; I can see kids clutching to Remy and Emile plush dolls; I can see a Ratatouille parade with dancing men in chef hats.

I just don't see that with The Incredibles. Nothing against the movie itself. I just don't think it's as marketable a commodity. And that's all Disney cares about in the end.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
As for Ratatouille vs. The Incredibles...

It just seems to me that the main characters of Ratatouille are more marketable. I can see the main characters walking around the park; I can see kids clutching to Remy and Emile plush dolls; I can see a Ratatouille parade with dancing men in chef hats.

I just don't see that with The Incredibles. Nothing against the movie itself. I just don't think it's as marketable a commodity. And that's all Disney cares about in the end.

Some valid points, however I think each has its own areas of marketing that it could be strong in. I think a Incredibles "thrill" type attraction, wther its coaster or not, would be better suited to incredibles simply because the movie was more thrill and action. I agree that Ratatouille would probably win out in product marketing.

Jon_in_NC

If it's to be more of a dark ride-type coaster, and it is ultimately going to be Pixar-themed, I say go with Monsters, Inc. The basic design premise of the ride (dark, indoors, some outdoors, with a kind of chaotic whirlwind feel) would lend itself perfectly to.....everyone know where I'm going with this...? :lol:

...the sequence from the film in the door storage area. I think that would be such a great atmosphere for this type of ride. Much so more than Ratatouille or The Incredibles I feel.

jt04

If it's to be more of a dark ride-type coaster, and it is ultimately going to be Pixar-themed, I say go with Monsters, Inc. The basic design premise of the ride (dark, indoors, some outdoors, with a kind of chaotic whirlwind feel) would lend itself perfectly to.....everyone know where I'm going with this...? :lol:

...the sequence from the film in the door storage area. I think that would be such a great atmosphere for this type of ride. Much so more than Ratatouille or The Incredibles I feel.

I would agree but there are already attractions built around Monsters which makes me believe that Ratatouille is likely. Although nobody seems to want to confirm the rumor. Only Screamscape is claiming this and I have begun to think he may need a new source...... or two. :confused:

ToTBellHop

I would agree but there are already attractions built around Monsters which makes me believe that Ratatouille is likely. Although nobody seems to want to confirm the rumor. Only Screamscape is claiming this and I have begun to think he may need a new source...... or two. :confused:
it has previously been stated by our insiders that a coaster was in the works for DHS and that Ratatouille was a contender--it seems Disney may have made this their final choice.

terp79

Just what I heard. . .

The Ratatouille coaster has already been presented to the heads at WDI....it's all a mater of time before we know if it gets green-lit or not. I know the attraction has it's own model sitting in the halls of 1401.

NASAMan

This ride plan fits perfectly with the Ratatouille story. Loading takes place in the farm village where you travel through dark ride scenes of the rats home on the farm. Then the rats must flee and Remy is flung about the sewers, twisting and turning his way to an ultimate end in Paris, where a holographic Gusteau floats above you reminding you that 'anyone can cook', when you exit into a cooking themed shop before going back to Mickey Ave., er, Pixar Place. This could be real fun.

Or maybe his source is so good and secretive that he is able to get word of the news before everyone else. Anyhow, a new ride (even if it isn't an E-ticket) is welcome at DHS. And I think Ratatouille is a perfect fit!

GrimGhost

why would they build a coaster from a movie that is so new. did it do that well in the theater?

Immediately following the Pixar acquisition, John Lasseter said at the Shareholdes Mtg in Anaheim, that (para-phrasing) "I don't understand why we wait years to open a ride after a movie comes out...we should be ready to have the attraction open on the heels of the movie"...Again, this is para-phrasing, but I know that was essentially the gist of what Lasseter was saying.

I think Lasseter is perhaps the best thing that could have possibly happened to the Disney company, but I'm not 100% convinced this is a great model, since as many have said..some movies will not have great success or marketability or draw.

gusgoose

Some valid points, however I think each has its own areas of marketing that it could be strong in. I think a Incredibles "thrill" type attraction, wther its coaster or not, would be better suited to incredibles simply because the movie was more thrill and action. I agree that Ratatouille would probably win out in product marketing.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I love both movies, probably about equally, and I agree The Incredibles as a film lends itself more easily to a thrill ride/roller coaster.

But, it's not like Disney makes money every time someone gets in queue for a ride. They already got their money when you paid for admission. So the key to a ride is, will it bring people into the park? Will a Ratatouille ride or an Incredibles ride bring more people in? Probably about even, if anything.

But then, once they're in the park, what are they going to spend money on? I'm sure there's marketing corollaries regarding people's affinity for buying merchandise for a film going up when they've just exited the corresponding ride for said film. And there's no doubt, especially amongst children, that Ratatouille is more marketable than The Incredibles.

I'd like to think, in Pixar Place, there will eventually be room for rides/attractions based on all the Pixar movies, and I'm a huge Incredibles fan so it's up there on the list for me as well. (Especially if Samuel L. Jackson is involved, which I'm sure he would be).

But for now, I think Disney is smart to try and cash in right away on Ratatouille.

autigger

A good ride is a good ride, regardless of the character's popularity (just as a popular character like Stictch does not guarantee a good attraction.)

I agree 100%.

Ratatouille was a truly excellent movie, but was difficult to market. It does not have the merchandise potential like "Cars" to help sustain its popularity. A ride could really help give this movie some attention. I would not be shocked to see Disney announce this attraction during the Oscar build-up this winter.

Because Pixar movies are originals they are, at times, more difficult to market. It is far easier to market a comic book character or some other already "known" subject matter (Spiderman, or a sequel like Shrek). As such, it sometimes takes a while for the new character to become beloved and ultimately marketed (i.e. the "Cars" characters are more popular now than they were a year ago).

Often, it is smart for a theme park to take already known commodities (Toy Story, Harry Potter) and build attractions to capitalize off their popularity. However, it can certainly work in reverse where a great ride can help promote a newer character (I don't believe many grade school kids were discussing the "yeti" two years ago).

I realize that while Ratatouille's $200M initial release is very solid, some don’t believe that it is "deserving" of a ride because it was not a huge $500M blockbuster. However, I believe that Ratatouille is strong enough and will sustain over time. Much more so than Chicken Little, Treasure Planet and even Brother Bear. It is a super story and unbelievable animation. It just needs a bit more time and a little help.

polarboi

I think you've got it exactly right, autigger. Ratatouille is/was difficult to market because its story is so original, and that's why the trailers didn't do it justice. How could they? But if they promote it well with attractions, merchandise, etc., it has the potential for significant life on DVD and afterwards. The story and characters are so strong that they stick with you, so even though it may not have outgrossed its Pixar siblings at the box office, it's got a lot of rich characters and themes to play with for future attractions and I expect it to increase in popularity as more and more people discover it.

Plenty of today's "Disney classics" didn't do well in their initial releases, but we love them now. And Ratatouille didn't do poorly at all. It had a very strong release; just not as strong as some were expecting/hoping.

-p.b. :cool:

Joepic

This is good news I guess, I just hope Ratatouille doesn't become overlooked and ignored in the next few years, because the coaster will still be standing.

I actually liked Ratatouille... I don't believe it'll be another Toy Story or Lion King, and I'm not sure if it's the kind of movie to deserve it's own ride.

But we'll see later on

prberk

I say, just make the ride original and fun and forget the incessant movie tie-ins! Besides I missed "Expedition: Everest, The Movie" and the ride was still great!

Come to think of it, I never saw "Space Mountain" at my cineplex either.... :lookaroun

Paul

P.S.: I better shut up, before they get any more "from-the-ride-to-the-big-screen" adaptation ideas. Sometimes Disney falls into synergy hell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom