New Coaster Rumor @ DHS ??

Unplugged

P.S.: I better shut up, before they get any more "from-the-ride-to-the-big-screen" adaptation ideas. Sometimes Disney falls into synergy hell.

I have to say I agree with you on that one. Limiting the creativity of WDI to attractions with movie tie-ins (ride to movie, or movie to ride) is not good. There are so many creative people in the Disney company who need some unhindered opportunities to do what they do best.

Of course, the big era of ties in goes back to the whole MK Fantasyland area (Snow White, Peter Pan, etc.). The POTC & HM were Eisner-era movies. With King Eisner dethroned and an executive like Mr. Iger now in charge, perhaps we'll see a new direction. After all, we were apprehensive when he said no 5th gate, just big investment into our existing parks & resorts for some time. If I were to say this has been true to date, I would be understating the money we're seeing spent and the efforts currently being worked or scheduled. I say...so far, so good, and keep it coming!

No matter what movie a new indoor coaster is based on, with what I've seen so far under the direction of Iger, Lasseter, and the rest of the crew, I'm sure it will have some longevity and simply be a fun attraction for all and a much needed welcome addition to the studios.

Iakona

Of course, the big era of ties in goes back to the whole MK Fantasyland area (Snow White, Peter Pan, etc.). The POTC & HM were Eisner-era movies. With King Eisner dethroned and an executive like Mr. Iger now in charge, perhaps we'll see a new direction. .

Ties in began day one with Walt. Just watched Travel Channel behind the scenes and the original Imagineers talked about the intent to have rides promote Disney shows and movies.

Slowjack

Of course, the big era of ties in goes back to the whole MK Fantasyland area (Snow White, Peter Pan, etc.).
Those original tie-ins were of a different nature than what we often have today. Just for example, Mr. Toad was never a popular character, certainly he was pretty much forgotten in 1971. I tend to think the ride used Mr. Toad because they thought they could make a fun, relatively inexpensive ride from the story. And even with something like Snow White, you didn't have the feeling the ride was there just to promote "synergy" and push merchandise. After all, this was decades before Snow White was out on video, and although it was re-released to theaters every so often, most of the children who were going to ride it wouldn't have seen the film and would have no way to see it afterwards.

Tim G

why would they build a coaster from a movie that is so new. did it do that well in the theater?

Why would they build a coaster from a movie anyway... :lookaroun

Don't we have enough Pixar in the parks... I'm really getting upset over those stupid ideas... :(

Welcome to Pixar World.

In a few years we'll have:
Pixar Kingdom
Pixar Studios,
PEPCOT (Pixar Expirimental Community Of Tommorrow)
Pixar Animal Kingdom.

dxwwf3

Don't we have enough Pixar in the parks... I'm really getting upset over those stupid ideas... :(

The way I look at it, since it seems that the majority of new attractions we are going to be getting HAVE to have some pre-existing character with them, I'd much rather see something from arguably my two favorite animated films (Ratatouille and Cars) than attractions based on characters I either have no interest in or sometimes downright hate (The Princess Line and Stitch).

Tim G

The way I look at it, since it seems that the majority of new attractions we are going to be getting HAVE to have some pre-existing character with them, I'd much rather see something from arguably my two favorite animated films (Ratatouille and Cars) than attractions based on characters I either have no interest in or sometimes downright hate (The Princess Line and Stitch).
That's called "Igerism" You know... named after the Steve Jobs puppet... :(

prberk

Those original tie-ins were of a different nature than what we often have today. Just for example, Mr. Toad was never a popular character, certainly he was pretty much forgotten in 1971. I tend to think the ride used Mr. Toad because they thought they could make a fun, relatively inexpensive ride from the story. And even with something like Snow White, you didn't have the feeling the ride was there just to promote "synergy" and push merchandise. After all, this was decades before Snow White was out on video, and although it was re-released to theaters every so often, most of the children who were going to ride it wouldn't have seen the film and would have no way to see it afterwards.

I agree with you. They were more natural tie-ins, and usually from stories that either were universal in nature or were easy to translate to the ride.

Other rides, usually the most expansive ones (like Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Country Bear Jamboree, the Hanted Mansion, Carousel of Progress, the riverboat, Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, and Tom Sawyer Island stuff), were completely independent of a movie -- even if they were influenced by show business or popular stories. They were just experiences that were fun and made of their own "storylines." The same is true of some modern rides without easy Disney synergy, like Aerosmith's Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror -- the Twilight Zone show is a CBS property -- and Expedition Everest (even though the whole Animal Kingdom concept can be seen as a derivative of the True-Life Adventures from Walt's time -- just not a direct, crassly commercial tie-in).

Some tie-ins are natural. Others seem crass and forced, or lacking a story that would stand the test of time.

Paul

Nemo14

Why would they build a coaster from a movie anyway... :lookaroun

Welcome to Pixar World.

In a few years we'll have:
Pixar Kingdom
Pixar Studios,
PEPCOT (Pixar Expirimental Community Of Tommorrow)
Pixar Animal Kingdom.
I have to agree with you there. As much as I like Finding Nemo, I really didn't like it in the Living Seas. I totallyenjoy the Pixar films, but I don't need them crammed down my throat in every Disney park.

dxwwf3

That's called "Igerism" You know... named after the Steve Jobs puppet... :(

I could care less. All I care about is getting good attractions based on good characters. You know the exact opposite of SGE, which was based on Disney's "biggest" recent animated character.

JML42691

Personally, I'm fine with the ammount of Pixar in the parks. The waitor that I had at Hollywood & Vine said that the area where TSM is going is going to become a Pixar section (I know that it was only a waitor who said it but still). I don't realy see how you can make a Ratatoullie coaster (personal opinion). I think an exact replica of Crush's Coaster would fit great in MGM (DHS) but I know that some here think that there is enough Nemo already. If that street in MGM is going to be Pixar themed then I would like to see some more from Monsters, Cars, & the Incredibles. Ratatoullie can wait a year or two to get a better idea on the popularity of the movie. The way that I feel about it is that the most you can have for a movie is one attraction max per park and 3 attractions max in all of DisneyWorld.

ToTBellHop

Al Lutz reports today about a Ratatouille coaster to replace Mulholland Madness at DCA. This would certainly lend some credibility to the rumored placement of a similar ride at DHS.

dxwwf3

Al Lutz reports today about a Ratatouille coaster to replace Mulholland Madness at DCA. This would certainly lend some credibility to the rumored placement of a similar ride at DHS.

If this happens, I would certainly hope that they make the cars a little bigger. Right now, MM has some of the least amount of leg room on any Disney attraction.

Slowjack

I agree with you. They were more natural tie-ins, and usually from stories that either were universal in nature or were easy to translate to the ride.

Other rides, usually the most expansive ones (like Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Country Bear Jamboree, the Hanted Mansion, Carousel of Progress, the riverboat, Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, and Tom Sawyer Island stuff), were completely independent of a movie -- even if they were influenced by show business or popular stories. They were just experiences that were fun and made of their own "storylines." The same is true of some modern rides without easy Disney synergy, like Aerosmith's Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror -- the Twilight Zone show is a CBS property -- and Expedition Everest (even though the whole Animal Kingdom concept can be seen as a derivative of the True-Life Adventures from Walt's time -- just not a direct, crassly commercial tie-in).

Some tie-ins are natural. Others seem crass and forced, or lacking a story that would stand the test of time.

Paul
Yeah, thinking about it more now, I think in many cases it's the timing. It seems more calculated when the ride is tied into the current hot property. I think that's a lot of my problem with the proliferation of Pixar rides. I'm not anti-Pixar by any means, but I have to wonder if, in a few years, excitement for all things Pixar cools off, whether all these rides will seem dated in a way that the Tower of Terror never will.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, thinking about it more now, I think in many cases it's the timing. It seems more calculated when the ride is tied into the current hot property. I think that's a lot of my problem with the proliferation of Pixar rides. I'm not anti-Pixar by any means, but I have to wonder if, in a few years, excitement for all things Pixar cools off, whether all these rides will seem dated in a way that the Tower of Terror never will.
inspired attractions don't become dated. Look at Splash Mountain. Very few guests remember Song of the South, but it's a fantastic attraction, so it doesn't matter. Strong attractions stand the test of time. Weak attractions fade quickly (like Journey Into Your Imagination and Journey Into Imagination w/ Figment).

FECNS

Truthfully i rather not see Pixar in the park as much as they want to add, lets stay with some of the classic films Disney has made. What about the Little Mermaid ride that was supose to have been made a long time ago and was scrapped, you know the virtual one on the DVD set that came out. I feel that would be better than Half the Pixar ones todate.

Tim G

Truthfully i rather not see Pixar in the park as much as they want to add, lets stay with some of the classic films Disney has made. What about the Little Mermaid ride that was supose to have been made a long time ago and was scrapped, you know the virtual one on the DVD set that came out. I feel that would be better than Half the Pixar ones todate.
Just wait and see... IMO it's already too late to turn back...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom