New Canada Ride

johnvree

Originally posted by Kwit35
I think any addition would be better then nothing at all. I would welcome any water/dark ride. I think it would be fun to see the lumberjacks, hard at work while you are waiting in line. The logs you ride in are the trees that just fell to "timber!". Riding the logs through the mountain streams, looking at the snow (yes, snow-lots and lots of snow), mounties on horseback...Then down into the valleys and the beautiful french looking cities. Then into modern day, industrial looking buildings...(like you see with the oil rigs in Maelstrom)...
Anyway, just a thought. But that side of world showcase needs something.
I agree. I don't feel that every attraction has to be novel or cutting edge. (Apparently Disney doesn't feel that way either; see, e.g., Dumbo II and Dumbo III.). I will take a new water attraction in Epcot. Sure, El Rio Del Tiempo is pretty exciting :lookaroun but some competition couldn't hurt. Seriously, though, we should be happy that they are creating rather than replacing.

ISTCNavigator57, that was interesting regarding Kali. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At first, I thought `Great`, now the more I think, the more I see dumbing down... Brother Bear?? As stated earlier, what about Canadian heritage?? They may as well put Peter Pans Flight into the United Kingdom as well. I take it World Showcases ciltural exploration just isn`t making TWDC enough money. Don`t get me wrong - I`m all for attractions in WS, but attractions sympathetic to their countries. And has anyone thought about the rumoured queue area - will we see the CircleVision theatre go the same way Disneylands did?

pppapazo

Re: Re: Re: New Canada Ride

Originally posted by MKCP 1986
Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast each have their own attractions at Disney MGM Studios. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin are in action at the Magic Kingdom.

Just pointing that out . . .

Thank you so much! I never realized that Aladdin had his own Magic Carpets Ride at the Magic Kingdom. Oh, wait...I think I do remember seeing some monstrosity of a spinny ride in Adventureland before my eyes started to bleed. Is that what you're talking about? I don't count it.

Peter

dizneeboy

When Disney adds any new buildings, they always fly ballons to check the site lines from different areas of the park. I find it hard to believe that they added soarin' without knowing how big the show building would be. Come on, the didn't get out there and say, oops, the water table is too high so we'll have to make it taller.

Unless its a carbon copy of grizzly river rapids that will be plopped down there (unlikely). Design of an E ticket would have taken a while. This is probably something that's been in the works I would guess.

My two cents...If they learn from building the two rapid rides they have, then this one should be awesome. However, I would prefer something more original like the previously discussed water coasters.

Sherm00

Originally posted by marni1971
At first, I thought `Great`, now the more I think, the more I see dumbing down... Brother Bear?? As stated earlier, what about Canadian heritage?? They may as well put Peter Pans Flight into the United Kingdom as well. I take it World Showcases ciltural exploration just isn`t making TWDC enough money. Don`t get me wrong - I`m all for attractions in WS, but attractions sympathetic to their countries. And has anyone thought about the rumoured queue area - will we see the CircleVision theatre go the same way Disneylands did?

god I really hate circle vision. i mean don't get me wrong it's a novel idea, but , maybe i would like it better if they had seats, walk all day and then stand in a single spot for 30 minutes for the attraction. they need seats. would much perfer a clone of anything then circlevision. we usaually skip all circlevision because they have no seats. I like world showcase for the food :)

DieHardDisney

Original Poster
A few of you guys seem to seriously be sweating over the Brother Bear theme which I agree IMHO would not be the theme that I would choose should this attraction come into the making but that is a minor detail that could be changed late on! The theme, although important, does not have to be decided straight away!

DieHardDisney

Original Poster
Also forgot to mention Jim Hill also mentioned that Disney have asked that when the animatronics are made for this would-bve attraction and should the theme be Brother Bear, then the animatronics will be Grizzlies and Disney has asked for two orders, the others are going to be put into place on DCA's Grizzly! This makes it seem like their set on Brother Bear, lets hope this changes!

Jungle Skipper

I have to say that the Imagineers are to smart to just not realize that the Soarin' building would interrupt the sightlines. Soooo...somethin tells me this is a brilliant move to try and get yet another new attraction into Epcot....Knowing the management at Disney, I'd bet the Imagineers pulled some wool over some pencil pushers eyes to pull something off...I'm all for a new attraction....now Brother Bear overlay...mmm...not liking that...but not hatin it either.

Jungle Josh

Legacy

I'm curious to know why so many of you are so dead set against a Brother Bear theme. I think that for a 'rapids ride' the movie would be a great theme for it.

DieHardDisney

Original Poster
Originally posted by Legacy
I'm curious to know why so many of you are so dead set against a Brother Bear theme. I think that for a 'rapids ride' the movie would be a great theme for it.

The reason this isn't the strongest theme for the potential ride in my opinion is because not a great deal people have seen this judging by box office figures and you really need a strong story with well known and likeable charcters to hit it off properly! Thats all!

WDWhigh

It's not that I don't want to see a ride in Canada, but I just can't see Canada sponsoring a major ride. They have already agreed a while ago to making a new movie for the pavillion and was announced in one of Toronto's newspapers that it was a done deal a while back.

Also, who's to say the Imagineers haven't already have a plan to hide the building? It's not completed yet. Parts of splash mountain's show building have pieces of mountain attached to it where it's in view from the park. Maybe they could do that to Soaring as well.

imagineer boy

First of all, Jim Hill is not a good scource for news and rumors. He tells very interesting stories of past events at Disney, but he totally sucks when it comes up to the latest news and rumors. I'm not 100% sure about the rapids ride. First of all, Brother Bear was not very popular and did not make alot of Money at the box office. I think a ride about it would be rather inapropriate. I think they should definately cover up the Soarin building with some sort of facade like a mountain or something to fit Canada's theme. The raft ride? I'm not too sure about this. We already have Kali ( but there is the rumor that an Indy ride that uses the same technology as Dinosaur will come ), but maybe it could be somewhat different. Perhaps a Jurassic Park type flume ride? Maybe it could be a combo of Jurrassic Park and Kali ( think Jurrassic boats going through rapids then a drop ) or something like that. I know it seems impossible, but the imagineers have never failed with something as innovative as that before. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll be very discusted if Brother Bear comes to Canada because useing Disney characters to reperestent countries in rides just sickens me.

Legacy

Originally Posted By DieHardDisney-
The reason this isn't the strongest theme for the potential ride in my opinion is because not a great deal people have seen this judging by box office figures and you really need a strong story with well known and likeable charcters to hit it off properly! Thats all!
I can understand that, but like ISTCNavigator57 said earlier, the appeal of a movie doesn't mean it's a poor idea for a theme. Song of the South, Swiss Family Robinsons and The Jungle Queen were all the basis for attractions, and two of them are classics now. Brother Bear is a story with a whole lot of heart, and I think that a minor story overlay will be good for the attraction. Granted, I don't want to be sand-blasted with the story on a rapids ride, but I would love to go through the Salmon Run and travel alongside a couple of mammoths while Rutt and Tuke play 'I Spy'. If Disney followed a system like Bilge-Rat Barges at IOA, with a lift hill mid-ride and smaller set pieces along the river channel, it could probably become the best Rapids Ride around, taking away one of IOA's coveted titles.

I honestly don't see a lot of options for the theme of this ride, and Brother Bear is the best one I can think of. Maelstrom is a good ride because of the Trolls, The Great Canadian Rapids Adventure would be exciting because of what, beavers? If they went the whole 'mountie' route, they would be accused of taking off of Ripsaw Falls down the road. Brother Bear has beautiful landscaping and scenes that would showcase Canadian beauty, and the story-line would be way more interesting than say... deforestation. :lookaroun

The biggest point I am trying to make is that at this time, Imagineering doesn't seem to have a lot options on theme. Brother Bear would be able to let them do some amazing imagery (image twirling slowly underneath a giant holographic eagle holding an audio-animatronic Kenai morphing into a bear), which would create a totally unique experience. This ride would add a lot to World Showcase, and also had a lot to Epcot as a whole.

Jeff

Dayma

If its another raft ride I just dont care. Been there done that....

Sorry but I think that they could come up with something new not just a rehash ride....

cloudboy

I remember a long, LONG time ago (way back in the early to mid 90s) there were a few rumors going on about a flume ride in Canada. Since this was right when Splash was getting souch big attention I think it got pretty well dismissed. Somehow I don't really think that they built the Soarin' building and then thought to put up a ride in Canada - I bet it has been going on for a while.

I am not a fan of having it Brother Bear themed myself, for the simple reason that I would like to keep the movie-themed rides to the MK. But I think a water ride would be a good addition. I don't think that they necessarily want a ride that is so great that it makes all the other countries look pathetic, so maybe it won't be a super e-ride but a pleasant ride. One of the reasons people love the water rides is it cools them off in the summer months.

I also agree with ISTetc. etc. about the problem with Kali is that the current storyline itself is just weak and doesn't come over well. The Tigers would have sounded cool but I can see how that didn't work out in the end.

Does the Canadian water ride HAVE to be Brother Bear? I mean, couldn't it just be about Bears and Moose and all the other assorted wild life that hangs out up north, eh?

hoppypooh

Originally posted by Kwit35
I think it would be fun to see the lumberjacks, hard at work while you are waiting in line. The logs you ride in are the trees that just fell to "timber!". Riding the logs through the mountain streams, looking at the snow (yes, snow-lots and lots of snow), mounties on horseback...Then down into the valleys and the beautiful french looking cities. Then into modern day, industrial looking buildings.

I think you've pretty much got all the stereotypes covered there eh? :hammer:

Originally posted by Legacy
I can understand that, but like ISTCNavigator57 said earlier, the appeal of a movie doesn't mean it's a poor idea for a theme. Song of the South, Swiss Family Robinsons and The Jungle Queen were all the basis for attractions, and two of them are classics now. Brother Bear is a story with a whole lot of heart, and I think that a minor story overlay will be good for the attraction. Granted, I don't want to be sand-blasted with the story on a rapids ride, but I would love to go through the Salmon Run and travel alongside a couple of mammoths while Rutt and Tuke play 'I Spy'. If Disney followed a system like Bilge-Rat Barges at IOA, with a lift hill mid-ride and smaller set pieces along the river channel, it could probably become the best Rapids Ride around, taking away one of IOA's coveted titles.

I honestly don't see a lot of options for the theme of this ride, and Brother Bear is the best one I can think of. Maelstrom is a good ride because of the Trolls, The Great Canadian Rapids Adventure would be exciting because of what, beavers? If they went the whole 'mountie' route, they would be accused of taking off of Ripsaw Falls down the road. Brother Bear has beautiful landscaping and scenes that would showcase Canadian beauty, and the story-line would be way more interesting than say... deforestation. :lookaroun

The biggest point I am trying to make is that at this time, Imagineering doesn't seem to have a lot options on theme. Brother Bear would be able to let them do some amazing imagery (image twirling slowly underneath a giant holographic eagle holding an audio-animatronic Kenai morphing into a bear), which would create a totally unique experience. This ride would add a lot to World Showcase, and also had a lot to Epcot as a whole.

Jeff

What the hoo ha are you talkin about!!??? They have a whole country of options for this ride. If all canada has is beavers then why devote an entire pavilion to it. And using mounties would not at all be copying ripsaw falls. If that were the case then universal ripped off UOE. If we're gonna add brother bear to world showcase then we should also add great mouse detective, mulan, pocahantas, and the hunchback of notre dame because why should the world showcase showcase the world. Let's theme all the countries to disney movies because culture is boring apperently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom