New Canada Ride

imagineer boy

Originally posted by martinthesparta
What the hoo ha are you talkin about!!??? They have a whole country of options for this ride. If all canada has is beavers then why devote an entire pavilion to it. And using mounties would not at all be copying ripsaw falls. If that were the case then universal ripped off UOE. If we're gonna add brother bear to world showcase then we should also add great mouse detective, mulan, pocahantas, and the hunchback of notre dame because why should the world showcase showcase the world. Let's theme all the countries to disney movies because culture is boring apperently.

You have got to be kidding.

Legacy

Originally Posted by martinthesparta-
What the hoo ha are you talkin about!!??? They have a whole country of options for this ride. If all canada has is beavers then why devote an entire pavilion to it. And using mounties would not at all be copying ripsaw falls. If that were the case then universal ripped off UOE. If we're gonna add brother bear to world showcase then we should also add great mouse detective, mulan, pocahantas, and the hunchback of notre dame because why should the world showcase showcase the world. Let's theme all the countries to disney movies because culture is boring apperently.
Note- Mulan can be seen in China, Esmerelda can be seen France, Pocahontas was WAY before the formation of the United States and the Great Mouse Detective has nothing to do with humans, so he would be a bad character to have as a meet and greet.

They DO have the movie images in their respective countries. Aladin and Jasmine can also be seen in Morocco. Just because there isn't a ride for them doesn't mean that the characters or theme isn't appropriate. There are a lot of people who seem to think Harry Potter would be a great addition to the British pavillion, and he isn't even associated with Disney. The fact is is that the story is the most important aspect of a ride to me, and a lot of other people. Brother Bear is the best story option involving the north-western North American wilderness that I can see. If the ride has a good story, I'll get back in line a thousand times (that's why I am not dieing to ride Test Track again), but if the ride is just going to be a wet, moving version of the O' Canada movie, why should I bother when the movie is right next door? Give me meat with my thrills, and my repeated patronage will be your reward.

Originally posted by Legacy
Note- Mulan can be seen in China, Esmerelda can be seen France, Pocahontas was WAY before the formation of the United States and the Great Mouse Detective has nothing to do with humans, so he would be a bad character to have as a meet and greet.

They DO have the movie images in their respective countries. Aladin and Jasmine can also be seen in Morocco. Just because there isn't a ride for them doesn't mean that the characters or theme isn't appropriate. There are a lot of people who seem to think Harry Potter would be a great addition to the British pavillion, and he isn't even associated with Disney. The fact is is that the story is the most important aspect of a ride to me, and a lot of other people. Brother Bear is the best story option involving the north-western North American wilderness that I can see. If the ride has a good story, I'll get back in line a thousand times (that's why I am not dieing to ride Test Track again), but if the ride is just going to be a wet, moving version of the O' Canada movie, why should I bother when the movie is right next door? Give me meat with my thrills, and my repeated patronage will be your reward.

This is kinda funny. Ok, first of all, to the guy who thought I was serious about add attractions based on all those characters, I was being sarcastic, and to you legacy, I think you're missing the whole point here. First of all, I understand that there are disney characters in epcot since it is a disney park and their influence on certain pavilions, that's fine, but we don't need rides based on them in the section of epcot that is supposed to showcase a variety of countries and their cultures which should not include a bomb of a movie. Canadian history and culture i think tells it's own story and would be perfect for the ride with the right components, you just don't need a talking bear to tell the story. And I guess you and so many other people don't like space mountain either because that really doesn't tell a story either. And if we're gonna base rides on box office bombs, where's my tron ride?

Legacy

Originally Posted By martinthesparta-
This is kinda funny. Ok, first of all, to the guy who thought I was serious about add attractions based on all those characters, I was being sarcastic, and to you legacy, I think you're missing the whole point here. First of all, I understand that there are disney characters in epcot since it is a disney park and their influence on certain pavilions, that's fine, but we don't need rides based on them in the section of epcot that is supposed to showcase a variety of countries and their cultures which should not include a bomb of a movie. Canadian history and culture i think tells it's own story and would be perfect for the ride with the right components, you just don't need a talking bear to tell the story. And I guess you and so many other people don't like space mountain either because that really doesn't tell a story either.
I think Paris's Space Mountain is a much better attraction because of its story telling aspects, but on an actual rollercoaster story isn't as important as it would be on a flume or rapids ride.

Anyway, to the point; Alamo is a bomb of a movie, Atlantis was a bomb, Brother Bear got it's budget back and was profitable for the Disney Company, so it is NOT a bomb of a movie. Like I said before, the merit of the movie has nothing to do with its effectiveness as an attraction. The point I am trying to argue is story potential, and I honestly don't see enough Canadian history to carry a ride by itself. From what I know, Canada doesn't have the well-known folklore or cultural uniqueness to grab my attention for the 2 and a half minutes of a ride. What will you do for the lift hill if it is a rapids ride? If you don't give it something fun, it will turn into another sub-par rapids ride and Epcot doesn't need sup-par. Epcot is trying to grab a new audience and they need something that will draw people. I honestly think Brother Bear would be much more effective in doing this than a simple Canadian tourism ride.

If Canada has something that I don't know about, then tell me. I really want to know if there IS something worth building a ride for. If there is, then bring it. If not, then I will continue to argue the potential of Brother Bear as a theme.

(And I just remembered something. This isn't the first time a movie-themed ride has been thought up for World Showcase before; they were thinking about building a Mushu roller coaster in the China Pavillion.)

cloudboy

I find it ironic that so many people complain about duplicating rides and branding and throwing the Disney name on EVERYTHING and yet, all the rides have to be based on a Disney movie. I think Epcot is special because it is NOT a movie - the animated features have Magic Kingdom. Let Epcot be something unique. At one point when characters were in Epcot they would be themed as such - future world had futuristic outfits, or they would be dressed up in the countries that they were appearing in. Agreed that it is hard when you have a movie based on that country, but you get the idea.

Why does the story have to be something about Brother Bear? Why not a mountie chase throughout a park? Or maybe a runaway boat. Or maybe retracing the route of the pioneers? Who were the big Canadian exlorers?

There are a lot more story lines than just the movies. DO SOMETHING UNIQUE!

Kwit35

Originally posted by hoppypooh
I think you've pretty much got all the stereotypes covered there eh? :hammer:

Sorry, I was only there once. So, most of what I know of Canada, I saw in the movies. Please forgive my ignorance. :) (but I still think that would be a cool ride:lookaroun )

Figment1986

I say a good attraction to build is a Watercoaster...

*A rollercoaster which has a water flume part, built together, the cars are usually 4x4, and can float. Ex: Journey to Atlantis, (eyther version, but SWO's is more dark ride..)

You could have the attraction be themed to brother bear, and have the coaster part be inside a mountain........

just an idea.....

Dayma

name on EVERYTHING and yet, all the rides have to be based on a Disney movie.

There are a lot of rides that have nothing to do with Disney movies. I do agree with you that they need to do something unique.

Legacy

Originally Posted By cloudboy-
I find it ironic that so many people complain about duplicating rides and branding and throwing the Disney name on EVERYTHING and yet, all the rides have to be based on a Disney movie. I think Epcot is special because it is NOT a movie - the animated features have Magic Kingdom. Let Epcot be something unique. At one point when characters were in Epcot they would be themed as such - future world had futuristic outfits, or they would be dressed up in the countries that they were appearing in. Agreed that it is hard when you have a movie based on that country, but you get the idea.

Why does the story have to be something about Brother Bear? Why not a mountie chase throughout a park? Or maybe a runaway boat. Or maybe retracing the route of the pioneers? Who were the big Canadian exlorers?

There are a lot more story lines than just the movies. DO SOMETHING UNIQUE!
Epcot use to have NO Disney characters in any of the attractions, except for the shows they did in Future World and the meet and greets in World Showcase though. That has changed though with The Circle of Life movie in the Land Pavillion and Finding Nemo taking over The Living Seas. Regardless of what we want the movies are now going to start becoming integrated into Epcot. It's an association thing. It's easier for guests to remember something that was associated with a movie or TV show than something that is unique to the park. That's just the way guest are. Management (on the whole this time, not just Eisner) is realizing that name recognition is an easy way to get even more people onto a ride. Tower of Terror wouldn't be as good if it wasn't for the Twilight Zone aspect of it. It's all a subconcious game. They are supposedly putting the Muppets in SuperStar Limo for the same reason, name association. That's the name of game with them wanting to put Brother Bear in the ride. Put a character with it, and you will automatically grab people's attention and make them remember the 'Brother Bear Ride'.

Anothering, if they do decide to use Brother Bear they won't need the Canadian's approval on the ride aspects, saves time in the long run, and with the reasoning for building this ride, time is kinda of the essence.

Dayma

Sometimes I think it is a good thing to put Disney Characters into the ride since it help young kids learn. This makes the living seas a learning experience for them not just place to see "fish"

Legacy

Originally Posted By blackride-
Sometimes I think it is a good thing to put Disney Characters into the ride since it help young kids learn. This makes the living seas a learning experience for them not just place to see "fish"
But it already was built to be a learning experience. That was the whole point of all of the pavillions when EPCOT first opened. Adding Nemo and the gang isn't going to suddenly make the attraction education, it's just providing a name to associate the attraction with.

Dayma

Adding Nemo and the gang isn't going to suddenly make the attraction education, it's just providing a name to associate the attraction with.

I disagee..Will a child learn more from Elmo or from the Discovery Channel and or PBS? I think you would have to go with Elmo on this one.....

My thing is that kids need something that will entertain them and putting Nemo on the Living Seas was not a bad thing considering it was going down hill fast...

DisneyFan 2000

Well, I'll just throw in my opinion!

You people are getting all worked up over nothing. This rumor may indeed be true but I haven't heard anything official, meaning; Right now anything is possible! We have seen rumors come and go all the time! (Fire Mt. Villian land, BK)This is just another rumor. Even if any of this turns out to be true, so what? Just enjoy it, there is no point in us fighting over this and trying to convince each other that this is a good / bad idea! The theme can change by the minute and so can the whole idea. I suggest we postpone all arguments until an official announcement has been made!

For the time being you might want to suggest ideas for an attraction because I have no idea what the h*ck you can put in Canada! :p

Legacy

Originally Posted By blackride-
I disagee..Will a child learn more from Elmo or from the Discovery Channel and or PBS? I think you would have to go with Elmo on this one.....

My thing is that kids need something that will entertain them and putting Nemo on the Living Seas was not a bad thing considering it was going down hill fast...
Of course a child will learn more from Elmo, because Elmo is a muppet from Sesame Street, a well-known children's television show. But if Elmo wasn't already an established, merchandised, exploited character, he would nowhere near as educational as he is now. If Elmo wasn't on TV, kids would not know or care about who he was. That's why they are using Nemo because kid's associate well with that property. That is why I think it would be good for a Brother Bear attraction because kids (and their families)would associate with that property. A rapids or flume ride can easily allow kids to ride, which they would need for this attraction (The younger ones don't have a whole lot to do at Epcot). The kids aren't going to care about a mountie chase (which Dudley Do-Right accomplishes) or a river expedition. The kids want the characters, and Imagineering seems willing to provide in this situation. From that perspective (and I'm trying to look at this as something for the kids as well), Brother Bear seems to make as much sense as having Nemo in The Living Seas.

Legacy

Originally Posted By DisneyFan 2000-
Well, I'll just throw in my opinion!

You people are getting all worked up over nothing. This rumor may indeed be true but I haven't heard anything official, meaning; Right now anything is possible! We have seen rumors come and go all the time! (Fire Mt. Villian land, BK)This is just another rumor. Even if any of this turns out to be true, so what? Just enjoy it, there is no point in us fighting over this and trying to convince each other that this is a good / bad idea! The theme can change by the minute and so can the whole idea. I suggest we postpone all arguments until an official announcement has been made!

For the time being you might want to suggest ideas for an attraction because I have no idea what the h*ck you can put in Canada!
Eh... I want to hit 1000 posts by the end of the year, and this discussion is giving me a good excuse to up my post count. I would love to see a Brother Bear attraction, and I see a lot potential in this. I honestly be shocked if they did build this though. That just seems like a poor spot to build a thrill ride.

Your second comment is why I am arguing for Brother Bear. They could theme it to Canadian Bacon, but I don't Disney owns the rights to that.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Legacy
Eh... I want to hit 1000 posts by the end of the year, and this discussion is giving me a good excuse to up my post count. I would love to see a Brother Bear attraction, and I see a lot potential in this. I honestly be shocked if they did build this though. That just seems like a poor spot to build a thrill ride.

Your second comment is why I am arguing for Brother Bear. They could theme it to Canadian Bacon, but I don't Disney owns the rights to that.

As pour as the location may be (size-wise, especially), something needs to be built due to Soarin' ruining the ambience in this area. I'd personally prefer a new ride to more trees, and who cares if this ends up being a smaller scale thrill ride. It will be opening withing four or five years of both Mission: SPACE and Soarin' at Epcot...I'm already impressed with what they are doing at Epcot.

mickeysaver

While I have no problem with a Brother Bear theme, I do take issue with another stinkin' water ride. There is a water ride at Epcot already in Norway. It's cute enough, but one water ride per park is enough. Kali is ok, but nothing much more spectacular than the one that I rode at Six Flags years ago.

Come on Imagineers, give us something new or at least not another cookie cutter ride experience. Maggie

imagineer boy

Guys, I think rother Bear would be inapropriate because it would be reperesenting a country with a Disney film. Imagine a Six Flags which is a complete rip off of World Showcase. They have an American Pavillion and what's the ride they have in it? Bugs Bunny's American Adventure. Now wouldn't that make you mad if your country was reperesented by Bug Bunny? This is probably how the Canadians would feel if the ride there is themed to Brother Bear. And Guys, regaurdless about how much some of us may like Brother Bear, and how well it may have done at the box office, it wasn't a real popular film. Critics didn't like it. People didn't fawn over it like Nemo. There for, I don't think it deserves a ride.

cloudboy

But if Elmo wasn't already an established, merchandised, exploited character, he would nowhere near as educational as he is now.

Elmo himself has nothing to do with subject matter. All he is is the character that presents the material. Hi spopularity has nothing to do with the actual material, just how many kids he can hold the attention of. BTW, Sesame Street IS a PBS production.

Why has Epcot suddenly become geared to such youngsters? I know, I know the familly bit, but there ARE famillies that are not made up of the 3-8 age group.

ToTBellHop

You can barely call Maelstrom a water ride. You don't get wet and it has been getting lamer and lamer by the year. If they built a ride like that today, no one would ride it--it is only popular because it is a classic and there is nothing else like it at Epcot. It is a short ride, the Animatronics have visible seams, and they try to shepherd you into that video at the end where everyone just darts through before the other doors close. I love Maelstrom, but it is very dated and you don't get even remotely wet on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom