New Canada Ride

Legacy

Originally Posted by hoppypooh-
Oh I see. So the only way you are willing to broaden your horizons regarding other cultures is if THEY make the effort - i.e. hold your hand and explain things to you.

I looked up your profile and discovered that you are an American soldier... and that makes me very sad. You are in a privileged position - one that many others look up to. You have a responsibility to make an effort to get to know those in the world around you. I believe this is the primary reason why Americans get a bad rap... SOME don't bother to make that effort, but then go ahead and impose their views on others anyway.
(BTW, both my husband and I are military as well.
He has spent the majority of his 20 year career on U.N. peacekeeping missions.)

As for a Canada ride... well I am certainly not an Imagineer and I don't purport to have the best ideas for rides. I simply resent the fact that (for example) the American Adventure is a very moving experience chock full of both great moments and great characters in your history - while Canada may get stuck being represented by a cartoon bear (and moose) from a mediocre Disney movie that many have not seen. Why don't we get the same treatment? Our history & icons are every bit as attention-grabbing as yours. I would suggest perhaps a cross country water adventure through the Canadian landscape and history: the Natives, the Vikings, the French fur traders, the loggers, the Rockies, the Alberta cowboys, maritime fishing etc.

P.S. If you are interested in learning more about the biographies of Canadian icons - check out www.cbc.ca and look for "who is the greatest canadian?"
Unfortunately, I haven't been afforded the oppertunity to experience other cultures through the military as of yet. I've only been in for a year and a half, and I have spent 15 of those months in Maryland (the other three were basic training). I honestly had no intention to offend anyone with my thoughts, and looking back I was very insensitive, which I shouldn't have been. I apologize.

Bringing up American Adventure makes perfect sense. I never really thought that it would be powerful to someone who wasn't American as it would be to an American. I honestly always viewed the attraction as a tribute for the bulk of Disney's guests, Americans. I really like the idea of a cross-country river adventure showcasing the landscape (I honestly think yours is better than ours). I don't think the viking history could be utilized due to the similarity to Maelstrom, also I don't know if Disney would want to 'glorify' (lack of a better term) fur-trading. The lumberjacks would be an awesome idea, if it wasn't for the deforestation message that is incorporated into Kali River Rapids. The term 'Alberta Comboys' has piqued my curiosity, and I am going to research that one.

Icon-wise I have one question. Besides Niagra/Horseshoe Falls, what other landmark names would I be able to specifically look for?

Dayma

Oh I see. So the only way you are willing to broaden your horizons regarding other cultures is if THEY make the effort - i.e. hold your hand and explain things to you.

Ouch that was a little rough for a person that was actually asking for some more information. You should not "shoot" him down but encourage it and provide him with some information.

Ohh well off to eat some Freedom Fries....lol

hoppypooh

Legacy: I don't know whether to call you lucky not having travelled yet with the military. It is an amazing experience serving your country abroad and directly helping others.
However we have both seen things we will not easily forget.
Peacekeeping is often anything but peaceful.
Afghanistan, Kosovo, Bosnia, Rwanda, Golan Heights,
Cyprus...

And yes, I find the American Adventure an amazing experience!
The building itself is spectacular, the AA's (Ben Franklin walks, Will Rogers lassos) are the best at WDW, the movie montage
is very moving - and it completely encapsulates the best of America (freedom and innovation) and the struggles it took to get there. What you have to understand is that every country has those great moments, great heroes, great places etc. Each country has endured their particular struggles and achieved particulart triumphs. And if given the oprtion, would like to share those strories with the world rather than have stereotypes (or cartoon animals) foisted upon them.

As for icons - info on any of these is easily available on the net:

Pier 21, Halifax Nova Scotia
l'Anse aux Meadows
St. John's Harbour
CN Tower
Old Montreal
St Joseph's Oratory Montreal
Notre Dame Cathedral Montreal
The Plains of Abraham
Louisbourg
Parliament Hill Ottawa
The Rideau Canal
Chateaus (Laurier, Frontenac)
Jasper
Yukon
St. Lawrence River
Calgary Stampede
Olympic sites (Calgary, Montreal)
Halifax Citadel
Alberta badlands
Gaspe
Banff
The Blue Nose
Haida
Anne of Green Gables/Prince Edward Island
Queen's University/McGill/Dalhousie
Algonquin Park
West Edmonton Mall
Peggy's Cove
Whistler

That's all I can think of for now....

Marijil

i get so bummed when they forget about the value of the aesthetics...like the views they create...and destroy.....

a la the swan and dolphin

aj_macack

Oh hoppypooh, the more you post the more I just love you! I actually am currently finishing my first year of studies at Queen's Univeristy! That's so cool how you included us in your list...

Also, like I said before I just wrote my final in Canadian Studies and if you want a really fun, interesting and genuinely informative book about Canada, pick up a copy of: "Canadian History for Dummies." and before anyone says it, no I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence. It was actually our course book last semester. It has every historical event and personality from Canada that you could possibly think of and the author makes the book very entertaining to read.

If anyone is truly serious about learning something about Canadian history, I strongly urge you to pick the book up! :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And the thread goes political....... do we know its an E ride yet? has anything been confirmed.... might end up with an A Ride!!! :lol: Especially if Disney finance it (in World Showcase) themselves :lol: :lol:

Legacy

I got to tell ya hoppy... I'm loving this whole cowboy aspect of Canada. I am honestly seeing a lot more potential in this Canadian than I was originally giving it credit for. I really think that Imagineering could make an attraction that would make Epcot-goers say, "Nor-What?" Brother Bear still deserves an attraction somewhere, but you won me over. If this mountain is built, it would definantly make a great addition to the Canada pavillion.

And I'm kinda lucky, kinda not. Just eagerly waiting for my next assignment.

cloudboy

Actually Marni, the REAL thing they are adding is a drinking fountain (I could say bubbler but none of you southerners would know what I am talking about) that will be up against a rock. But you know how rumors get going...

Here's an exercise in creativity - how would you make a Canadian/ien version of American Adventure? And how can you then put that set in a kind of canal ride, like Splash?

AndyP

I think a ride such as Dudley's Ripsaw Falls at IOA would be suited here rather than a river rapids, ie. a narrow log flume ride, rather than a wide bodied one such as SM. I think this could be very well done, there is no other narrow log flumes in WDW (is there?) and we already know WDI can do log flume rides very well indeed.

tomm4004

I dont know why people in Canada are suprised when some of us Americans dont know the histroy of Canada.
A few years ago I was at a hostel on the Cape of Codfish :) with a group of Yankee students and their teacher. We got talking about history and I was amazed to hear they had no idea about the French presence in U.S. history, i.e. why just about every town along the mighty Mississip has a French name. Or why Pittsburgh was called Fort Duquesne, for example.

Then, a few weeks ago on Jeopardy the clue was a U.S. state named after a French king and the guy (a multiple champ) said Michigan! I wasn't surprised. (It's Louisiana by the way)

I'm willing to believe that most Canadians don't know a lot about Canadian history, as most Americans don't know much about US. history. Haven't you ever seen Jay Leno when he asks people on the street questions? They haven't a clue and I don't think it's phony.

As for a Canadian attraction - Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump!

Look it up - it's a real place.

imagineer99

Originally posted by hoppypooh
Before getting all indignant on me and other narrow-minded Americans, maybe you could take our hand and explain things to us. If Canadians aren't willing to put forth the effort in doing that, then Americans are never even going to bother accepting Canadians, and the jokes will continue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for a Canada ride... well I am certainly not an Imagineer and I don't purport to have the best ideas for rides. I simply resent the fact that (for example) the American Adventure is a very moving experience chock full of both great moments and great characters in your history - while Canada may get stuck being represented by a cartoon bear (and moose) from a mediocre Disney movie that many have not seen. Why don't we get the same treatment? Our history & icons are every bit as attention-grabbing as yours. I would suggest perhaps a cross country water adventure through the Canadian landscape and history: the Natives, the Vikings, the French fur traders, the loggers, the Rockies, the Alberta cowboys, maritime fishing etc.

I find it a tad funny that the ideas that you provide for a Canada ride are extremely similar to ones that someone brought up earlier. However, you responded to that post: "I think you've pretty much got all the stereotypes covered there eh?"
:eek: :D :lookaroun :wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by cloudboy
Actually Marni, the REAL thing they are adding is a drinking fountain (I could say bubbler but none of you southerners would know what I am talking about) that will be up against a rock. But you know how rumors get going...

Here's an exercise in creativity - how would you make a Canadian/ien version of American Adventure? And how can you then put that set in a kind of canal ride, like Splash?

Nice one!!! :lol: :lol:

hoppypooh

Originally posted by aj_macack
Oh hoppypooh, the more you post the more I just love you! I actually am currently finishing my first year of studies at Queen's Univeristy! That's so cool how you included us in your list...

:animwink: I'm a Queen's grad! Cha Gheill!

hoppypooh

Originally posted by cloudboy
Here's an exercise in creativity - how would you make a Canadian/ien version of American Adventure? And how can you then put that set in a kind of canal ride, like Splash? QUOTE]

Okay I have NO engineering skills whatsoever... but couldn't you
(as someone else suggested) have a more narrow log flume ride (those are quite popular at some amusement parks here in Canada.) Maybe shape them like canoes (a Native Canadian invention.) Have fast rapid type parts for the more adveturesome portions of Canadian history (i.e. cowboys, fur traders etc.) and then slower parts passing by AA characters as a chance to see/hear great people/moments in Canadian history. I am thinking a ride that combines the fast and wild of Kali (in a smaller vessel) and the scenery of PoC.

Legacy

Originally Posted By hoppypooh-
Maybe shape them like canoes (a Native Canadian invention.)
Um... what evidence do you have of this? I always considered the canoe an advancement of the dugouts created by the native North Americans before their were even European settlers.

Small boats have been in use since ancient cultures were born, and I just never saw any major differences in the development of them.

cherrynegra

Originally posted by Legacy
I got to tell ya hoppy... I'm loving this whole cowboy aspect of Canada. I am honestly seeing a lot more potential in this Canadian than I was originally giving it credit for. I really think that Imagineering could make an attraction that would make Epcot-goers say, "Nor-What?" Brother Bear still deserves an attraction somewhere, but you won me over. If this mountain is built, it would definantly make a great addition to the Canada pavillion.

And I'm kinda lucky, kinda not. Just eagerly waiting for my next assignment.

I agree. I thought it would be cool to have a dark ride showcasing the nature of Canada. Can you imagine a part of the ride where you come into a huge room decked out like the wild woods with mountains in the background and then the whole sky lights up with the northern lights? That would be cool.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by cherrynegra
I agree. I thought it would be cool to have a dark ride showcasing the nature of Canada. Can you imagine a part of the ride where you come into a huge room decked out like the wild woods with mountains in the background and then the whole sky lights up with the northern lights? That would be cool.

Exactly. The thing about a ride in one of the countries is that people need to somehow learn about the country's history and culture. If I lived in canada and saw Disney reperesent my country with a ride with cartoon characters, I'd be very angry and dissapointed. I'd want to see my counntry's culture reperesented by a ride like Maelstrom.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by imagineer boy
Exactly. The thing about a ride in one of the countries is that people need to somehow learn about the country's history and culture. If I lived in canada and saw Disney reperesent my country with a ride with cartoon characters, I'd be very angry and dissapointed. I'd want to see my counntry's culture reperesented by a ride like Maelstrom.

Really I have to see my country being represented by another’s architecture, unfashionable nit wear and short bread tins. And a check down the years will show we have contributed a damn sight more than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom