New Canada Ride

cloudboy

It's cute enough, but one water ride per park is enough.

Maybe I am oversimplifying things here, but...

A ride requires a moving vehicle, right. Well, that vehicle can run on only a few things - Free moving wheels - needs a driver so ixnay on that; Wheels on track - either a rollercoaster, rail ride (most dark rides) or a suspended system; on water (a water ride); or by air - and I don't think anyone has come up with a decent aerodynamic ride system yet. We all ready have a ton of track based rides, so why not use water.

Just becasue it is a water ride there are still many ways you can have it. You can have a heavy rapids like Kali, or a calm flume like It's a Small World. the boats can be linear or they can turn all around. All boat rides are NOT alike!

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by cloudboy
Elmo himself has nothing to do with subject matter. All he is is the character that presents the material. Hi spopularity has nothing to do with the actual material, just how many kids he can hold the attention of. BTW, Sesame Street IS a PBS production.

Why has Epcot suddenly become geared to such youngsters? I know, I know the familly bit, but there ARE famillies that are not made up of the 3-8 age group.

Geared toward youngsters? Epcot has the most intense thrill ride at the Walt Disney World Resort, a World Showcase which most kids find boring. Epcot is not geared toward kids at all. They have added a superficial addition to the Living Seas to try to win them over, but that is very minor. Soarin' will be fantastic, but it is a decidedly more mature thrill ride. I'm not sure kids will really appreciate the scenery. Journey Into Imagination went from being great for kids to being...just okay for them. Food Rocks was kid friendly and removed, whereas Circle of Life and The Land are for more mature guests. Test Track has a height requirement, Wonders of Life is closed most of the time, and kids cannot stay awake for all of Ellen's Energy Adventure. I'm not sure what exactly is geared toward kids at Epcot...certainly nothing excessive.

Dayma

Elmo himself has nothing to do with subject matter. All he is is the character that presents the material. Hi spopularity has nothing to do with the actual material, just how many kids he can hold the attention of. BTW, Sesame Street IS a PBS production.

Thats what i was saying :)

I was also saying that rides like the Living Seas was clearly meant as an educational type ride so it cant hurt to get kids more interested...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My, its funny how a single runour cam generate multiple threads bursting with emotion... I love these boards!!

Lets wait for the official announcement.... a 200yard IASW float through in front of a rock specifically designed to block the view of soarin`... :lol:

Legacy

cloudboy and blackride- Nemo is being put into the Living Seas because he is popular. That is the thinking behind it. Before Nemo was even known about by the park-going public they were going to put The Little Mermaid in there. Disney wanted a character to draw people into the pavillion, regardless of how well-related it was to the subject matter. A mythological creature isn't as relevant as an actual clown-fish in an educational environment, so the fish won out. Combine the larger fan base and merchandising potential (there's a big part of it), and we now have Marlin and friends in the world's largest aquarium. Nemo is a spokesmodel for the ocean, just like the Count is a spokesmodel for numbers.

imagineer boy- Dinosaur didn't exactly hit it big, but regardless Disney weakened CtX to have the association. I see what you are saying about having a Disney movie represent the country, but I think the ride would be presented much more tastefully than that. I don't really see the ride saying, 'Canada has nothing so we are making a movie-bae ride,' I see it being more representative of the beauty of the Canadian wilderness. You make a very valid point though. Maybe Rutt and Tuke could just may comments about Canada as we travel along the river.

tomm4004

After reading Jim Hill's column I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st. I really don't see this happening.

Firstly, to say that they are building a huge E-ticket just to cover Soarin' is silly. What about the Swan and Dolphin? There are certainly cheaper methods for doing this. And they must have known before they started building it.

Secondly, for Disney to build an attraction in World Showcase and pay for it would be new territory since it's the countries themselves that have built them in the past. I don't see them building something just for Canada, and I don't see the Canadian government forking out the cash.

I think we'll see the Living Seas updated or something in the spot of the Wonders of Life before we see Brother Bear Comes to Canada.

hoppypooh

Originally posted by Legacy

I honestly don't see enough Canadian history to carry a ride by itself. From what I know, Canada doesn't have the well-known folklore or cultural uniqueness to grab my attention for the 2 and a half minutes of a ride.

If Canada has something that I don't know about, then tell me. I really want to know if there IS something worth building a ride for.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legacy: I'll tell you what Canada doesn't have... it doesn't have ignorant Americans who know zero about their closest neighbours!

You claim that you "don't see enough Canadian history" yet you still see fit to shoot your mouth off by saying that "Canada doesn't have the well-known folklore or cultural uniqueness to grab your attention." To borrow from an American icon: "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."-- Mark Twain

You mentioned that you were trying to get 1000 posts on this site but I think your time might be better spent reading some Canadian history!

Legacy

Originally Posted By hoppypooh-
Legacy: I'll tell you what Canada doesn't have... it doesn't have ignorant Americans who know zero about their closest neighbours!

You claim that you "don't see enough Canadian history" yet you still see fit to shoot your mouth off by saying that "Canada doesn't have the well-known folklore or cultural uniqueness to grab your attention." To borrow from an American icon: "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."-- Mark Twain

You mentioned that you were trying to get 1000 posts on this site but I think your time might be better spent reading some Canadian history!
Sorry, Canadian History isn't a course I can pick in college. Maybe you can enlighten me. I still haven't had a descent story idea presented to me for this ride, except for Brother Bear. What internationally recognized symbol out of Canada can be used as the foundation of this ride? Tell me. I'm willing to learn if someone is willing to teach.

aj_macack

Go hoppypooh!
I JUST got back from writing a Canadian Studies Univeristy exam, we this was exactly what I wrote about in question number 2... have you ever read a book about Canada? Hell, do you even know who our Prime Minister is?
Right, that's what i thought...
I have to completely agree with hoppypooh, try educating yourself about your neighbours to the north and you might even come to the realization that for being a relatively young nation our idea of identity and culture surpasses most... believe it or not in many's opinion even the states!
BTW, I know who your President is!

PS... I have nothing against the USA... in fact, I REALLY want to move to Orlando...
PPS Try living through a Canadian winter and you'll understand!

Dayma

believe it or not in many's opinion even the states!

Cant say I know any historical facts about Canada at all actually. Only place I have been is the "falls".

I have no idea who the president of Canada is. I dont think many people dont know who the US president is...

I dont know why people in Canada are suprised when some of us Americans dont know the histroy of Canada. There is really not much taught about it in k-12 nor in College. There are also very few Histroy Channel specials dedicated to it. Time to go to the bookstore and see if I can find something......

imagineer99

Originally posted by DieHardDisney
Originally posted by imagineer99
Raft Rides = Dumb.

'nuff said.:)
[/QUOTE

What are you basing that assumption on?

Let's see:

I think going on a ride just to get soaked to the point of complete uncomfort is stupid! :D Not to mention that a raft ride just likeKali can be found in about every amusement park currently in existence.

As for Canada, they've brought us the musical talent of Barenaked Ladies. I guess they can't all be bad, eh?

Question to all you Canadians: What WOULD you like a canadian ride to revolve around?

Legacy

Originally Posted By aj_macack-
Go hoppypooh!
I JUST got back from writing a Canadian Studies Univeristy exam, we this was exactly what I wrote about in question number 2... have you ever read a book about Canada? Hell, do you even know who our Prime Minister is?
Right, that's what i thought...
I have to completely agree with hoppypooh, try educating yourself about your neighbours to the north and you might even come to the realization that for being a relatively young nation our idea of identity and culture surpasses most... believe it or not in many's opinion even the states!

PS... I have nothing against the USA... in fact, I REALLY want to move to Orlando...
PPS Try living through a Canadian winter and you'll understand!
The entire world knows who our President is, and I wouldn't think it's for the most glamourous of reasons.

Even though it seems like I am intending on blasting Canada (blame American Elitism), I'm not. If SOMEBODY would be willing to provide an idea that could provide an exciting story for this ride then spill it, please. Americans barely care about our own history, so we aren't going to know anything about Canada except for the stereotypes Hollywood presents us with. I admit to the fact about all I know about Canada is moose, mounties and maple leaves.

Before getting all indignant on me and other narrow-minded Americans, maybe you could take our hand and explain things to us. If Canadians aren't willing to put forth the effort in doing that, then Americans are never even going to bother accepting Canadians, and the jokes will continue.

Edited for Spelling

Piebald

.....Why don't they tear down the Millenium Village and build an awesome (and huge) ride all around and behind Canada and right next to the UK Pavillion? Just a thought..

Dayma

Americans barely care about our own history, so we aren't going to know anything about Canada except for the stereotypes Hollywood presents us with. I admit to the fact about all I know about Canada is moose, mounties and maple leaves.

I wouldnt say that we Americans dont care about our Histroy at all. Thats a pretty broad comment to make but I do agree with you that all I know about Canada I learned from TV-MOVIES :(

hoppypooh

Originally posted by blackride
I have no idea who the president of Canada is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We don't have a President, we have a Prime Minister (as our Head of State is still the Queen.) Mr. Martin is the head of the Liberal party (somewhat similar ideals as the U.S. Democrats.)

If you are serious about learning about Canadian history... check out the websites for the Canadian version of the history channel, the CBC (Canada's national tv channel) or the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Canada's national government website is www.gc.ca. Or read books by the historian J.L Granatstein

Tim G

Originally posted by mickeysaver
While I have no problem with a Brother Bear theme, I do take issue with another stinkin' water ride. There is a water ride at Epcot already in Norway. It's cute enough, but one water ride per park is enough. Kali is ok, but nothing much more spectacular than the one that I rode at Six Flags years ago.

Come on Imagineers, give us something new or at least not another cookie cutter ride experience. Maggie

Patience, my dear girl, patience...

hoppypooh

Before getting all indignant on me and other narrow-minded Americans, maybe you could take our hand and explain things to us. If Canadians aren't willing to put forth the effort in doing that, then Americans are never even going to bother accepting Canadians, and the jokes will continue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh I see. So the only way you are willing to broaden your horizons regarding other cultures is if THEY make the effort - i.e. hold your hand and explain things to you.

I looked up your profile and discovered that you are an American soldier... and that makes me very sad. You are in a privileged position - one that many others look up to. You have a responsibility to make an effort to get to know those in the world around you. I believe this is the primary reason why Americans get a bad rap... SOME don't bother to make that effort, but then go ahead and impose their views on others anyway.
(BTW, both my husband and I are military as well.
He has spent the majority of his 20 year career on U.N. peacekeeping missions.)

As for a Canada ride... well I am certainly not an Imagineer and I don't purport to have the best ideas for rides. I simply resent the fact that (for example) the American Adventure is a very moving experience chock full of both great moments and great characters in your history - while Canada may get stuck being represented by a cartoon bear (and moose) from a mediocre Disney movie that many have not seen. Why don't we get the same treatment? Our history & icons are every bit as attention-grabbing as yours. I would suggest perhaps a cross country water adventure through the Canadian landscape and history: the Natives, the Vikings, the French fur traders, the loggers, the Rockies, the Alberta cowboys, maritime fishing etc.

P.S. If you are interested in learning more about the biographies of Canadian icons - check out www.cbc.ca and look for "who is the greatest canadian?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom