New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That is such a strange quote to use as a counterpoint to 'If X number of people are going to no-show, then plan for X more reservations.

How is it strange? Walt applied that type of thinking down to the design of trash cans. I would certainly think it should apply to how the restaurants are operated. Who would want to tell their friends or bring them back for this? Well actually, if it were just two people they would have to bring their friends back so they have a large enough group to even get a return ticket since parties of two are frowned upon. Great model TDO!

BrianV

I've said this on another forum, but everyone who is in favor of these return tickets is just SO SURE that they will never be the ones denied entrance. I keep seeing people say that this will give them a chance to eat at BoG when they never could before. No, you always could if you chose to wait in line, but by eliminating the line, now even MORE people are wanting to try it out. But guess what, capacity hasn't changed. And the moment word gets out to the public that the only way to see an attraction or eat at a certain restaurant is to get a return ticket, those tickets will be gone with minutes of the park opening (think TSMM or Soarin' legacy FP, only worse since this is Literally your only option to do the experience. No "eh, well just do standby," option anymore.) The longer one has to wait for something, the fewer people want to do it, which means eventually the line will stop growing as you reach that "too long" threshold. Take away the physical line, now there's nothing dissuading people from joining the virtual queue (aside from time conflicts, perhaps). All they're doing is INCREASING demand.
Early on in this thread, someone even said that they'll be sure to get the pass even if it's for two or three hours later. Then when their time rolls around, they'll decide whether or not they want to actually eat there or not. Great. Now they just took the spot of someone who really WANTED to eat there (Who gladly would have waited 30 to 40 minutes in line originally) but arrived at 9:15 when all the passes were distributed.

I said it before and I'll say it again here. If there is a line that would take an hour or more to wait to eat at BOG, I will not be waiting and will already be denied entrance (by my own choice granted). For me, what's the difference whether I cannot get a return pass or I will not wait 1 hour for lunch. Zero--I'm not eating at BOG in either case. (Caveat: insiders here have told me that an hour line is really only like 20 minutes, but I never knew that. If disney does have a fault, it is for not properly advertising the line length.)

dadddio

Wasnt going down the "what would Walt say" path. Just showing the type of thought process which the company and Parks were founded. Do you honestly think the bolded were the intentions the executives had in mind with this process, or is it more along the lines of what @dupac said?
Call it serendipity if you want to, but those two things frequently go hand in hand.

dadddio

How is it strange? Walt applied that type of thinking down to the design of trash cans. I would certainly think it should apply to how the restaurants are operated. Who would want to tell their friends or bring them back for this? Well actually, if it were just two people they would have to bring their friends back so they have a large enough group to even get a return ticket since parties of two are frowned upon. Great model TDO!
Again, considering the post that you responded to with your 'What Would Waltism', any family that got in because they forecasted the number of no-shows would be quite happy.

dadddio

I said it before and I'll say it again here. If there is a line that would take an hour or more to wait to eat at BOG, I will not be waiting and will already be denied entrance (by my own choice granted). For me, what's the difference whether I cannot get a return pass or I will not wait 1 hour for lunch. Zero--I'm not eating at BOG in either case. (Caveat: insiders here have told me that an hour line is really only like 20 minutes, but I never knew that. If disney does have a fault, it is for not properly advertising the line length.)
Take that 20 minutes with a heaping serving of salt. When we went, I believe that it was about 45 minutes before we made it into the building and quite a bit longer before we finally got to order and found a table.

Last edited:

AEfx

Iger table seating Ver. 2014.

OK, sorry, I generally don't bother responding to the blind Iger-hate but seriously - yes, I am sure he was in a meeting and decided the entrance procedure for a fast food place. /rolleyes

I agree I'm wondering if Disney has finally 'Jumped the Shark' in that they no longer care about the guest experience at all. The no more nuts at Mizer's - heck even the cheap biker bars around here give peanuts but the bar at Disney's signature resort does not!

Just pathetic

Yup, that's the term I used earlier in the thread. Disney has jumped the shark here -
this is the point where they just went too far into the militarization of WDW.

crispy

Geez is BOG worth those kind of waits just for lunch?? I mean, I know it's new with apparently beautiful theming and better than a lot of QS options in MK but wow.

No, it definitely isn't worth the hassle. It was fun to eat there, but the food was just okay - not bad but not great either. I won't be going back any time soon.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
OK, sorry, I generally don't bother responding to the blind Iger-hate but seriously - yes, I am sure he was in a meeting and decided the entrance procedure for a fast food place. /rolleyes

Yup, that's the term I used earlier in the thread. Disney has jumped the shark here -
this is the point where they just went too far into the militarization of WDW.

On point 1 - the blind Iger hate serves no purpose - BUT Executives and managers take their direction from CEO's and the number crunching mentality of the Iger/Staggs/Rasulo led to this decision because this decision aligned with the companies higher level goals.

It's only natural in my case part of my compensation is how well my projects and initiatives align with company goals as set by C-level management. I'll rock boat when necessary it's actually in my job charter but I'm going to make very sure what I'm doing is along the lines of what the C-level people expect.

jencor

Is this still in the test period? Unless the test results are disastrous, they are going to do what they think is best. I will have to live with what ever they decide, but please decide. My biggest complaint it that they keep doing these things without warning, but yet we are suppose to plan our every move months before we go. How do we plan when we have no updated guide map. I am more concerned with their method of not telling us. I glanced at their website and found nothing about this and yet this test has lasted over a week. I feel for those that are being surprised with something they knew nothing about. Come on and decide cause I am trying to plan my trip in two months.

RayTheFirefly

Is this still in the test period? Unless the test results are disastrous, they are going to do what they think is best. I will have to live with what ever they decide, but please decide. My biggest complaint it that they keep doing these things without warning, but yet we are suppose to plan our every move months before we go. How do we plan when we have no updated guide map. I am more concerned with their method of not telling us. I glanced at their website and found nothing about this and yet this test has lasted over a week. I feel for those that are being surprised with something they knew nothing about. Come on and decide cause I am trying to plan my trip in two months.
That's the part that's worst for me. Sometimes I go only knowing a few weeks ahead of time (or less). Which makes it basically impossible to get reservations and such. :(

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm not going to read 24 pages of this thread but I was told about a website today that I can go to, to book FP for lunch at BoG - so I went there - and nothing is available for 10/14-10/23 womp womp. :( at least we got a dinner reservation there.

BrianV

I'm not going to read 24 pages of this thread but I was told about a website today that I can go to, to book FP for lunch at BoG - so I went there - and nothing is available for 10/14-10/23 womp womp. :( at least we got a dinner reservation there.

Long story short: keep looking. Our availability didn't open up until about 28 days before our trip. Different lengths for different people. You will find availability almost for certain as time gets closer.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Again, considering the post that you responded to with your 'What Would Waltism', any family that got in because they forecasted the number of no-shows would be quite happy.
You do realize that the "no-shows" you refer to only exist as a result of this new system, don't you? Prior to its creation I'm sure there were very few no-shows seeing how the people that truly wanted to dine there were waiting to, but now any blundering fool can get a return time and choose to show up or ditch it. Seems like Disney created unnecessary work for themselves.

jensenrick

And one that doesn't (didn't) serve burgers and fries, hot dogs, etc. Maybe spring rolls, chicken satay, vegetarian stir fry, different rices, kabobs (Aladin's Flying Carpets are close by), couscous, etc.

When it was open, we ate there at least once every trip. And that's when it was just Americanized Chinese/Polynesian.

So much LOVE for this idea. I will never, never, NEVER understand why Adventureland Veranda is still closed. The frankly ridiculous situation at BoG should make it obvious to any of these "management" types with half a brain that visitors to the MK would stand in LONG lines and pay Big bucks- if it means they are gonna have a nice dining experience. I'm sorry, but from what I hear- it's not like the food at BoG is that amazing anyway. People are raving about sandwiches for pity's sake.
What is so difficult to understand? Yet that whole beautiful location sits unvisited for YEARS! It's stupifying.

dadddio

You do realize that the "no-shows" you refer to only exist as a result of this new system, don't you? Prior to its creation I'm sure there were very few no-shows seeing how the people that truly wanted to dine there were waiting to, but now any blundering fool can get a return time and choose to show up or ditch it. Seems like Disney created unnecessary work for themselves.
forecasting no-shows isn't as much work as your trying to make it our to be. Also, whether it is 'unnecessary' or not depends on whether you think that it's good customer service to have people standing in a line in the sun for an hour. Loads of customers believe that it isn't. It's OK if you disagree.

stevehousse

forecasting no-shows isn't as much work as your trying to make it our to be. Also, whether it is 'unnecessary' or not depends on whether you think that it's good customer service to have people standing in a line in the sun for an hour. Loads of customers believe that it isn't. It's OK if you disagree.
I think in a normal table service restaurant it wouldn't make much of a difference because you can easily let walk ins fill those spots. In terms of the new no stand by line, if u have 100 people u gave tickets to not return, and aren't able to fill those no shows with anyone from a stand by line then it does become a problem...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom