New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

BrianV

Try Bartley's Burger Cottage in Harvard Square at Lunch there is usually 20-45 minute line and dinner on Thur-Sat usually an hour. Yet people have waited for Bartleys Burgers for DECADES and its still popular.
Lived in Cambridge for many many years and love Bartleys. Never waited in line to eat there, though. It's good. But not worth a wait.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It makes no difference if QS restaurants don't normally need such a process. QS restaurants normally don't have people queued up for an hour in the hot sun to get in, but this one does.

Anitco Pizza in Atlanta has a 30 -60 minute line out the door on a DAILY basis. They serve food until they run out of dough, which they do, everyday. People wait in the freezing cold or the blazing sun. They bring out water and Italian ice for people as they wait.
antico.jpg

I highly recommend it for anyone in the Atl area. He has created a small Italian pavilion with several spots to eat and drink. It is like a small EPCOT pavilion and actually themed quite well. Very authentic food as well.

Given that, some out of the box thinking is necessary to provide better service than people normally receive.
You call this new system "out of the box" thinking? lol. Better service? People that were willing to wait in line to eat are now subject to these new rules, which most arent even aware of until they walk up. Arriving at MK after 12:00? Sorry, all return times have been given out and all that FP+ planning you did a month ago must be re-arranged now. Ya, much better.

CDavid

What's a cost effective way to remedy the situation? Program the website to offer more FP's distributed evenly through the day, and print out cards with return times for guests without FP reservation times. Now you can control the length of the line for any given day

In theory, the queue problem could be solved by simply getting rid of FastPass+ at Be Our Guest (twenty people just hit the reply button to disagree, but hear me out). We're all aware how FP (of any form) makes an attraction standby line move slower, increasing wait times. Admitting all guests from the same line (in the order in which they arrived) will speed up the queue and help avoid excessive waits. While placing everyone into one line will likely produce a physically longer line, it will move much faster, but more importantly (and unlike FP+ or 'return cards') a queue line is self regulating; This is critical. As the line grows longer, more guests will be dissuaded from entering the queue, choosing to dine elsewhere and thus keeping wait times under control. This is also more fair to everyone; Instead of being told you can't wait your turn (creates frustration) or that all return times are taken (disappointment) it puts the choice back in the hands of the guest where it belongs. People can choose to wait a half hour (and probably less, without FP+) to eat at BOG or they can dine somewhere else right now.

Of course, all this could also be avoided by simply taking ADR's all day long as a table-service restaurant.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Anitco Pizza in Atlanta has a 30 -60 minute line out the door on a DAILY basis. They serve food until they run out of dough, which they do, everyday. People wait in the freezing cold or the blazing sun. They bring out water and Italian ice for people as they wait.
View attachment 62247
I highly recommend it for anyone in the Atl area. He has created a small Italian pavilion with several spots to eat and drink. It is like a small EPCOT pavilion and actually themed quite well. Very authentic food as well.

You call this new system "out of the box" thinking? lol. Better service? People that were willing to wait in line to eat are now subject to these new rules, which most arent even aware of until they walk up. Arriving at MK after 12:00? Sorry, all return times have been given out and all that FP+ planning you did a month ago must be re-arranged now. Ya, much better.

My sentiments exactly. If I want to wait in line for a QS meal, that's MY business, not some pointy boneheaded Disney exec's. And the line is spoiling the esthetics of the new Fantasyland? Come on.... When it's hot, BOG has ice water available for those waiting in line. When it's raining, umbrellas.

Any guest who complains (was going to use a more forceful word :rolleyes:) rudely, continually to GS about wait times for standby lines or the BOG lunch line, should have their MB scanned and labeled as a chronic complainer. And ignored. Hey, people, you are going to the most popular (according to Disney's PR) vacation destination on the planet of approximately 7 billion people, so expect some wait times and plan. So you don't spoil the experience for the rest of us when Disney decides to implement new procedures like this one because you have complained about having to wait. Just whip out that electronic device and play Angry Birds.

LAKid53

Premium Member
In theory, the queue problem could be solved by simply getting rid of FastPass+ at Be Our Guest (twenty people just hit the reply button to disagree, but hear me out). We're all aware how FP (of any form) makes an attraction standby line move slower, increasing wait times. Admitting all guests from the same line (in the order in which they arrived) will speed up the queue and help avoid excessive waits. While placing everyone into one line will likely produce a physically longer line, it will move much faster, but more importantly (and unlike FP+ or 'return cards') a queue line is self regulating; This is critical. As the line grows longer, more guests will be dissuaded from entering the queue, choosing to dine elsewhere and thus keeping wait times under control. This is also more fair to everyone; Instead of being told you can't wait your turn (creates frustration) or that all return times are taken (disappointment) it puts the choice back in the hands of the guest where it belongs. People can choose to wait a half hour (and probably less, without FP+) to eat at BOG or they can dine somewhere else right now.

Of course, all this could also be avoided by simply taking ADR's all day long as a table-service restaurant.

This process worked for how many months before someone decided to implement FP+ for lunch? Our first visit we stood in line for a little over 30 minutes. And BOG had been open for only a couple of months. But it was OUR decision to stand in line and wait that long, i.e., as you said, OUR choice.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is the logical solution (which means it probably won't happen). I've never been a fan of calling the BoG fp a fastpass because it adds a layer of confusion to a system people are still learning to use.

The confusion being that BOG is QS for lunch and TS for dinner, perhaps? How many other restaurants are like this? None....

Mike S

This is the logical solution (which means it probably won't happen). I've never been a fan of calling the BoG fp a fastpass because it adds a layer of confusion to a system people are still learning to use.
I like the idea someone said earlier of just doing quick service all day which would mean no ADR's. Just go in line and wait your turn to eat. Universal has done this with both the Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron which are both highly themed and the lines I've waited in have not been excessively long. I think it would work very well if Be Our Guest was just quick service all day.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I like the idea someone said earlier of just doing quick service all day which would mean no ADR's. Just go in line and wait your turn to eat. Universal has done this with both the Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron and the lines I've waited in have not been excessively long. I think it would work very well if Be Our Guest was just quick service all day.

But then Disney wouldn't be able to offer the same entrees and charge dinner prices. Plus, it's the ONLY place in the MK where you can enjoy an adult beverage with your meal. And the nicest one in the park, too, food wise.

cw1982

The confusion being that BOG is QS for lunch and TS for dinner, perhaps? How many other restaurants are like this? None....

I'm talking about the confusion of calling it a fastpass when it's not on the same system as the other fastpasses. Go look at the fastpass part of these forums and see how many threads of people are asking over and over about why they can't book a fastpass for BoG when they book those for their attractions. If it's on a different system, it needs to be called something different.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm talking about the confusion of calling it a fastpass when it's not on the same system as the other fastpasses. Go look at the fastpass part of these forums and see how many threads of people are asking over and over about why they can't book a fastpass for BoG when they book those for their attractions. If it's on a different system, it needs to be called something different.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. However, it is confusing to have the restaurant be both QS & TS. I've witnessed people walk up to the booth on the bridge, ask to make an ADR for lunch, be confused about the wait line for lunch and the whole ADR for dinner but not for lunch thing and walk away mumbling to themselves about Disney management..... Either make it TS all day or QS all day. No other restaurant that I know of in any of the parks or resorts is both.

cw1982

Ok, thanks for the clarification. However, it is confusing to have the restaurant be both QS & TS. I've witnessed people walk up to the booth on the bridge, ask to make an ADR for lunch, be confused about the wait line for lunch and the whole ADR for dinner but not for lunch thing and walk away mumbling to themselves about Disney management..... Either make it TS all day or QS all day. No other restaurant that I know of in any of the parks or resorts is both.

Right. As I said in my post that you quoted the first time (lol), the place should just be ts all day. They could still have more of a casual menu for lunch and keep the nicer dinner menu. All that would change would be calling it an ADR instead of a fastpass.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Right. As I said in my post that you quoted the first time (lol), the place should just be ts all day. They could still have more of a casual menu for lunch and keep the nicer dinner menu. All that would change would be calling it an ADR instead of a fastpass.

That works, as long as the casual lunch menu doesn't come with the dinner prices....

Tigger1988

My sentiments exactly. If I want to wait in line for a QS meal, that's MY business, not some pointy boneheaded Disney exec's. And the line is spoiling the esthetics of the new Fantasyland? Come on.... When it's hot, BOG has ice water available for those waiting in line. When it's raining, umbrellas.

Any guest who complains (was going to use a more forceful word :rolleyes:) rudely, continually to GS about wait times for standby lines or the BOG lunch line, should have their MB scanned and labeled as a chronic complainer. And ignored. Hey, people, you are going to the most popular (according to Disney's PR) vacation destination on the planet of approximately 7 billion people, so expect some wait times and plan. So you don't spoil the experience for the rest of us when Disney decides to implement new procedures like this one because you have complained about having to wait. Just whip out that electronic device and play Angry Birds.
The fact that they need to provide ice water and umbrellas is proof there's an issue. And you're just as much as anyone who went to GS. Congrats!

CDavid

The fact that they need to provide ice water and umbrellas is proof there's an issue. And you're just as much as anyone who went to GS. Congrats!

No, he isn't, and neither were the people who went through Guest Services. Both have perfectly legitimate concerns over the customer service at Be Our Guest.

A long, slow moving line out in the hot sun for what is essentially a fast-food restaurant is a problem, you are correct. However, solving the issue by eliminating the queue altogether and requiring 'return cards' obtained in advance, is just as much a problem. What's more, the 'solution' imposed actually created new problems which didn't exist previously. There are many ways to ration a commodity when demand exceeds supply, with some very much better than others. 'Return Cards' aren't one of the better options.

jencor

That they are supplying the ice water and umbrellas does not prove there is an issue. Those people would probably still wait if it was not offered. The fact they provide it shows a company that understands how to keep their customers happy and brings them back and back without complaining and they are telling their friends about the great service and there is no better form of advertising then word of mouth. Great marketing by them.

Tigger1988

That they are supplying the ice water and umbrellas does not prove there is an issue. Those people would probably still wait if it was not offered. The fact they provide it shows a company that understands how to keep their customers happy and brings them back and back without complaining and they are telling their friends about the great service and there is no better form of advertising then word of mouth. Great marketing by them.
A line for a fast food joint is so long that ice water and umbrellas need to be given to keep guests from getting drenched, sun burnt and/or dehydrated. Yeah, no issues there at all...

And yeah, I'm sure they all ran to their friends to say "They had to hand out umbrellas because the line for the quick service restaurant was so long!" I mean, who WOULDN'T want to experience that? That isn't good customer service, it's an ill equipped dining area.

cw1982

A line for a fast food joint is so long that ice water and umbrellas need to be given to keep guests from getting drenched, sun burnt and/or dehydrated. Yeah, no issues there at all...

And yeah, I'm sure they all ran to their friends to say "They had to hand out umbrellas because the line for the quick service restaurant was so long!" I mean, who WOULDN'T want to experience that? That isn't good customer service, it's an ill equipped dining area.

But the answer should be to better equip the dining area, either by adding capacity, adding choices elsewhere to alleviate the demand, or improving the booking process (or perhaps even a combination of these things), rather than telling people that they no longer have the option to wait in line. Customers tend to prefer to have more options, as opposed to less.

Last edited:

jencor

You make it sound like no one would want to go there, but the line is there, so your question of "who wouldn't want to experience that?" Everyone in that line wants to and everyone willing to wait at BOG is willing to. You may not. It also does not mean they are ill equipped. BOG is going through the same thing, does that mean they are ill equipped?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom