New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You do realize that the "no-shows" you refer to only exist as a result of this new system, don't you? Prior to its creation I'm sure there were very few no-shows seeing how the people that truly wanted to dine there were waiting to, but now any blundering fool can get a return time and choose to show up or ditch it. Seems like Disney created unnecessary work for themselves.

I'll be taking return tickets if they are offering them, and I will be dumping them right in the trash, and going back for seconds and thirds. Because I make points.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Who in their right mind goes to Disney and doesn't make ADRs? I have always planned our Disney trips to the minute and when you are spending $6,000 to $7,000 on such a trip, only a fool wouldn't do so. IMO, this is just more evidence of Disney cracking down on the "locals" who don't bring in the $$.
The same locals WDW thrives on come F&W and F&G time?

crispy

Who in their right mind goes to Disney and doesn't make ADRs? I have always planned our Disney trips to the minute and when you are spending $6,000 to $7,000 on such a trip, only a fool wouldn't do so. IMO, this is just more evidence of Disney cracking down on the "locals" who don't bring in the $$.

You do realize they don't take ADRs for lunch, right? I mean, that's kind of the point to this whole thread.

CDavid

Who in their right mind goes to Disney and doesn't make ADRs?

People who look on a trip to Walt Disney World as a vacation, as opposed to people who think of a Disney trip as something more complicated and which requires more planning than a space shuttle launch, that's who.

While it may suit your personal tastes, which is fine, you have to realize that most people do not want to plan their vacation down to the minute. The only reservation many guests make is the one at the hotel (and some don't even do that).

raven

Exactly and from what I understand, F&W and F&G might become a ticketed event due to the "local's" abuse.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Locals have to pay as well for park entry, even if they do receive a discount. Don't be going all hostile on locals now. the "abuse" you are refering to is more than likely CM's. But park entry is a perk for them as well.

stevehousse

More people than u even think! U don't know how many times I check into a restaurant and there r people whining and complaining becaus they can't get in! I remember last year at the garden grill this one guy complaint and saying how he has te dining plan but can't eat at any restaurants because he didn't make any reservations! LOL

dadddio

I think in a normal table service restaurant it wouldn't make much of a difference because you can easily let walk ins fill those spots. In terms of the new no stand by line, if u have 100 people u gave tickets to not return, and aren't able to fill those no shows with anyone from a stand by line then it does become a problem...
Plenty of places other than restaurants forecast for no-shows. That being said, what's stopping them from allowing a few groups to stand by just like the TS restaurants do?

jencor

Plenty of places other than restaurants forecast for no-shows. That being said, what's stopping them from allowing a few groups to stand by just like the TS restaurants do?

The only problem I have with this is if I am trying to get in and the guy next to me gets to wait and I do not, I will ask why does he get priority? I would like to see a system that is fair to all.

stevehousse

The only problem I have with this is if I am trying to get in and the guy next to me gets to wait and I do not, I will ask why does he get priority? I would like to see a system that is fair to all.
Exactly what I was gonna say...fast food or quick service places usually don't account or need to account for no shows like a table service does...

dadddio

There's no such thing as 'fair'.

Imagine a busy TS restaurant that's booked fully. They might allow a walk-up to wait to see if something opens up, but they would never allow a line of people to do so because they know that they wouldn't be able to accommodate them. This hypothetical process would be no different.

dadddio

Exactly what I was gonna say...fast food or quick service places usually don't account or need to account for no shows like a table service does...
It makes no difference if QS restaurants don't normally need such a process. QS restaurants normally don't have people queued up for an hour in the hot sun to get in, but this one does. Given that, some out of the box thinking is necessary to provide better service than people normally receive.

Mike S

There's no such thing as 'fair'.

Imagine a busy TS restaurant that's booked fully. They might allow a walk-up to wait to see if something opens up, but they would never allow a line of people to do so because they know that they wouldn't be able to accommodate them. This hypothetical process would be no different.
Sure there is. Everyone waits in the same line and waits their turn like everyone else. Sure no one likes to wait, but that's how the world works.

jencor

And to think I am paying all this money and travel this distance so that I can be cheated. What I have been stressing is let us know the rules at least. Are they even telling people what we need to do or how many are getting there and finding it out afterwards. At least with the TS I know the rules, even if I do not like it. Here I do not know what the rules are and they seem to change. It starts to feel like the old playground mentality of "it's my ball and we will play the way I want to"

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So much LOVE for this idea. I will never, never, NEVER understand why Adventureland Veranda is still closed. The frankly ridiculous situation at BoG should make it obvious to any of these "management" types with half a brain that visitors to the MK would stand in LONG lines and pay Big bucks- if it means they are gonna have a nice dining experience. I'm sorry, but from what I hear- it's not like the food at BoG is that amazing anyway. People are raving about sandwiches for pity's sake.
What is so difficult to understand? Yet that whole beautiful location sits unvisited for YEARS! It's stupifying.

It's because reopening is a RISK F&B is unwilling to take what happens to my career/bonus if the reopening is not as successful as I predict. The greatest damage Iger/Staggs/Rasulo have done is demoralize a line management corps to the point where their overall posture is of a abused dog who cringes in the presence of their master(s).

The biggest problem a new management team which wants to compete with UNI will have are the shell shocked managers most of whom are now unable to take any independent action and can only follow 'the book'.

Customer Service and calculated risk taking are NOT rewarded in todays TWDC.

stevehousse

It makes no difference if QS restaurants don't normally need such a process. QS restaurants normally don't have people queued up for an hour in the hot sun to get in, but this one does. Given that, some out of the box thinking is necessary to provide better service than people normally receive.

Not sure of where u live, but here in Chicago there are several extremely popular quick service restaurants and bakeries where people do que up and wait ovet an hour or more to get in and eat!

It is very realistic and to say people dont want to wait in line to get in isn't right. There wouldn't be a line to begin with if no one wanted to dine there. I understand that they were trying something new to see if they could help the line at all, but the way they did it just doesn't work for anyone, especially a hungry guest!

U betcha people here in Chicago would raise hell if u told them they had to swing by their favorite uber popular restaurant in the morning to get a ticket allowing them to have to come back 2,3,4 hours later to finally dine and u could absolutely positively not be allowed to wait in any line whatsoever to even attempt to get in. Could u imagine if ur local McDonald's tried that on u?!?

it's just an absurd concept! A fast pass ticket might work well for rides, but not for food in any way shape or form. And to not let people wait it out is even more bizarre...

It's just insane to keep going back and forth on this issue when everyone here but u seems to understand that this isn't good for anyone!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not sure of where u live, but here in Chicago there are several extremely popular quick service restaurants and bakeries where people do que up and wait ovet an hour or more to get in and eat!

It is very realistic and to say people dont want to wait in line to get in isn't right. There wouldn't be a line to begin with if no one wanted to dine there. I understand that they were trying something new to see if they could help the line at all, but the way they did it just doesn't work for anyone, especially a hungry guest!

U betcha people here in Chicago would raise hell if u told them they had to swing by their favorite uber popular restaurant in the morning to get a ticket allowing them to have to come back 2,3,4 hours later to finally dine and u could absolutely positively not be allowed to wait in any line whatsoever to even attempt to get in. Could u imagine if ur local McDonald's tried that on u?!?

it's just an absurd concept! A fast pass ticket might work well for rides, but not for food in any way shape or form. And to not let people wait it out is even more bizarre...

It's just insane to keep going back and forth on this issue when everyone here but u seems to understand that this isn't good for anyone!

Try Bartley's Burger Cottage in Harvard Square at Lunch there is usually 20-45 minute line and dinner on Thur-Sat usually an hour. Yet people have waited for Bartleys Burgers for DECADES and its still popular.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If people want to wait in line for 30-40 minutes for a meal, then let them. Our first visit we waited maybe 30 minutes top - and we got in the line halfway down the hill to Gaston's. If the line was too long, we went elsewhere. No biggie.

So if you aren't "chosen" for the FP+ lunch (and the website has issues, trust me. I've gotten the email and not been able to make a reservation, not because of availability, but because the darn thing wasn't working correctly), you can no longer wait in line? Or you get a return time that conflicts with your other FP+? Which brilliant Disney exec came up with this bonehead idea?

Thanks to all those entitled, complaining guests who, god forbid, had to wait in line more than 30 seconds for something and let GS know about it. You are spoiling the experience for the rest of us.....

Adding a post script: Also thanks to all those parents (you know who you are) who have gone completely insane over Frozen and turned Rope Drop into a stampede and a M&G into a 4 hour wait, resulting in (1) a change to rope drop and (2) the potential elimination of standby lines.

Last edited:

TRONorail12

If people want to wait in line for 30-40 minutes for a meal, then let them. Our first visit we waited maybe 30 minutes top - and we got in the line halfway down the hill to Gaston's. If the line was too long, we went elsewhere. No biggie.

So if you aren't "chosen" for the FP+ lunch (and the website has issues, trust me. I've gotten the email and not been able to make a reservation, not because of availability, but because the darn thing wasn't working correctly), you can no longer wait in line? Or you get a return time that conflicts with your other FP+? Which brilliant Disney exec came up with this bonehead idea?

Thanks to all those entitled, complaining guests who, god forbid, had to wait in line more than 30 seconds for something and let GS know about it. You are spoiling the experience for the rest of us.....

Adding a post script: Also thanks to all those parents (you know who you are) who have gone completely insane over Frozen and turned Rope Drop into a stampede and a M&G into a 4 hour wait, resulting in (1) a change to rope drop and (2) the potential elimination of standby lines.

It's not a question about whether guests are willing to wait in line 30-60 mins. It's about eliminating the queue line down the bridge completely. BOG was always going to have FP from day one. However, imagineers and upper management would not budge on the topic of modifying the queue line for guests waiting outside. They didn't want an outside queue, but you can't build anything that will jeopardize the aesthetics of the castle that won't cost an additional several million dollars. Is everyone following still? Couple that with guest complaints of long lines for quick service food and standing out in the elements, and it's a no brainer, no more queue line. What's a cost effective way to remedy the situation? Program the website to offer more FP's distributed evenly through the day, and print out cards with return times for guests without FP reservation times. Now you can control the length of the line for any given day.

Not saying I agree or disagree with it. I'm just stating the facts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom