New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

crispy

I'll start with a little parody. Feel free to chime in...

Ma chere Mademoiselle, it is with deepest pride
and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight.
Now we invite you come back, in an hour or two
so the dining room can proudly present -
your dinner!
Be our guest! Be our guest!
Now we're running a new test
No tying a napkin around your neck, cherie
we prefer a shopping quest
Soup du jour
Hot hors d'oeuvres
Parties of two don't get served
Try the grey stuff
Chip:
It's delicious
Lumiere:
Don't believe me? Ask the dishes...

Last edited:

BrianV

I still find it funny that the biggest "defender" of the new paper FP procedure hasnt chimed in yet on this one...any else still waiting for that reply!?! LOL

I generally like the new system like a few others here. That doesn't mean that not letting a group of two in is good while groups of four are still being admitted. Even the guest services was surprised apparently. Nobody thinks this is a good idea. Extrapolating that the whole idea of a return pass is no good, however, is a little extreme. I suppose that if you must have both or neither, I would advocate scrapping the return pass system. But there is no reason that they need to go together.

I'd personally like to see a new test where an accurate wait time is given at the standby line and no return passes are given. I think many staunch supporters would be unhappy when their secret 20 minute wait (advertised as an hour or more) balloons as the large number of people realize that waiting is not a bad option.

RayTheFirefly

I generally like the new system like a few others here. That doesn't mean that not letting a group of two in is good while groups of four are still being admitted. Even the guest services was surprised apparently. Nobody thinks this is a good idea. Extrapolating that the whole idea of a return pass is no good, however, is a little extreme. I suppose that if you must have both or neither, I would advocate scrapping the return pass system. But there is no reason that they need to go together.

I'd personally like to see a new test where an accurate wait time is given at the standby line and no return passes are given. I think many staunch supporters would be unhappy when their secret 20 minute wait (advertised as an hour or more) balloons as the large number of people realize that waiting is not a bad option.
Thanks for your reasonable input. And you might be right on that last part. It would certainly be interesting.

RayTheFirefly

giphy.gif

dadddio

Y u of course...u r the only one that thinks these paper fast passes are great! I would like ur opinion on this issue...I'm suprised u haven't responded yet...
Two things:

First, I've never expressed much love for paper nor am I the only one who favored not standing in a hot line. I do, however, think that the paper return tickets are tolerable during a test. If some version of this were to go live, I would think that it would be rolled into MDE. I suppose that it's easier for you to color my position differently than it actually is as it gives you someone to rail against. Go you. :rolleyes:

Second, I have already expressed my view on the 'party of two' issue by liking the posts that I agreed with. Certainly, you don't expect everyone to weigh in by replying to the posts that they agree with an 'I agree' response. I actually believe that the 'like' feature exists to eliminate such posts.

Last edited:

natatomic

It's a good customer service move for a customer who dislikes waiting in lines. Clearly I am in the minority on this issue. I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.

However, I agree it should be table service all the time. I assumed this was to allow greater throughput and allow more people to eat there. (Oh and to make more money). As it is, reservations at dinner are damn near impossible to get. Imagine being told that you just cannot eat here ever because every reservation is gone 190 days in advance. The new fantasy lands signature location off limits to those who didn't book 190 days in advance.

I've said this on another forum, but everyone who is in favor of these return tickets is just SO SURE that they will never be the ones denied entrance. I keep seeing people say that this will give them a chance to eat at BoG when they never could before. No, you always could if you chose to wait in line, but by eliminating the line, now even MORE people are wanting to try it out. But guess what, capacity hasn't changed. And the moment word gets out to the public that the only way to see an attraction or eat at a certain restaurant is to get a return ticket, those tickets will be gone with minutes of the park opening (think TSMM or Soarin' legacy FP, only worse since this is Literally your only option to do the experience. No "eh, well just do standby," option anymore.) The longer one has to wait for something, the fewer people want to do it, which means eventually the line will stop growing as you reach that "too long" threshold. Take away the physical line, now there's nothing dissuading people from joining the virtual queue (aside from time conflicts, perhaps). All they're doing is INCREASING demand.
Early on in this thread, someone even said that they'll be sure to get the pass even if it's for two or three hours later. Then when their time rolls around, they'll decide whether or not they want to actually eat there or not. Great. Now they just took the spot of someone who really WANTED to eat there (Who gladly would have waited 30 to 40 minutes in line originally) but arrived at 9:15 when all the passes were distributed.

dadddio

I've said this on another forum, but everyone who is in favor of these return tickets is just SO SURE that they will never be the ones denied entrance.
My take on that is that there have plenty of times that I've made an attempt to eat at some restaurant and have found that there isn't any availability. It's a bummer, but not that big of a deal. I've still found ways to get chubby.
Early on in this thread, someone even said that they'll be sure to get the pass even if it's for two or three hours later. Then when their time rolls around, they'll decide whether or not they want to actually eat there or not. Great. Now they just took the spot of someone who really WANTED to eat there (Who gladly would have waited 30 to 40 minutes in line originally) but arrived at 9:15 when all the passes were distributed.
Just like every other scenario where reservations are made, whether planes or restaurants or wherever, it isn't that long before the company figures out the percentage of no-shows and factors that into the number of reservations made.

disneydudette

... And the moment word gets out to the public that the only way to see an attraction or eat at a certain restaurant is to get a return ticket, those tickets will be gone with minutes of the park opening (think TSMM or Soarin' legacy FP, only worse since this is Literally your only option to do the experience...

This is my biggest concern...

It only takes one blog post, touring plan site update, and guide book addition for this information to hit the 'masses'.

The "in the know" guest may not be the majority of Disney's business... but they can certainly capitalize on situations like this.

If I knew that at 10a, we could wander over to BOG and pick up a return card for later in the day... I'd absolutely take advantage. Otherwise... we wouldn't have waited.

Since we're a party of 2 (couple), we'd make sure to be there as early as possible to ensure they had room.

I can already picture suggestions on other DISney sites trying to coordinate AE, SDMT, and grabbing a BOG paper ticket during MK mornings.

Whether or not you wanted to eat at BOG, a QS location with a FP like wait, is enticing to all.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is my biggest concern...

It only takes one blog post, touring plan site update, and guide book addition for this information to hit the 'masses'.

The "in the know" guest may not be the majority of Disney's business... but they can certainly capitalize on situations like this.

If I knew that at 10a, we could wander over to BOG and pick up a return card for later in the day... I'd absolutely take advantage. Otherwise... we wouldn't have waited.

Since we're a party of 2 (couple), we'd make sure to be there as early as possible to ensure they had room.

I can already picture suggestions on other DISney sites trying to coordinate AE, SDMT, and grabbing a BOG paper ticket during MK mornings.

Whether or not you wanted to eat at BOG, a QS location with a FP like wait, is enticing to all.

It's already on the board that must not be named...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
My take on that is that there have plenty of times that I've made an attempt to eat at some restaurant and have found that there isn't any availability. It's a bummer, but not that big of a deal. I've still found ways to get chubby.
Just like every other scenario where reservations are made, whether planes or restaurants or wherever, it isn't that long before the company figures out the percentage of no-shows and factors that into the number of reservations made.

"Do what you do so well that they will want to see it again and bring their friends" - Walt Disney

Ideas like that are what made the company great. Would that quote apply to this new BoG strategy? The Disney corp. used to look at "every other scenario" and find a better way.

dadddio

"Do what you do so well that they will want to see it again and bring their friends" - Walt Disney

Ideas like that are what made the company great. Would that quote apply to this new BoG strategy? The Disney corp. used to look at "every other scenario" and find a better way.
That is such a strange quote to use as a counterpoint to 'If X number of people are going to no-show, then plan for X more reservations.

I'm certainly no 'That's what Walt would do' person, but that's what everyone would do because it allows for the maximum number of happy guests. Allowing that table to go unseated, on the other hand, fails because it is a missed opportunity to accomodate one more family.

dupac

That is such a strange quote to use as a counterpoint to 'If X number of people are going to no-show, then plan for X more reservations.

I'm certainly no 'That's what Walt would do' person, but that's what everyone would do because it allows for the maximum number of happy guests. Allowing that table to go unseated, on the other hand, fails because it is a missed opportunity to accomodate one more family.
It's a missed opportunity to make money ;)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Wasnt going down the "what would Walt say" path. Just showing the type of thought process which the company and Parks were founded. Do you honestly think the bolded were the intentions the executives had in mind with this process, or is it more along the lines of what @dupac said?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom