New attractions for AK

cheezbat

I've got to chime in....you DAK super fanboys are really loving it up on this half day park. I go to AK every year. I do EVERYTHING:all the shows, all the rides, walk all the trails, look for different places to eat, play in the boneyard...and I always get everything finished well before park close. I'd say at least two or three hours before park close. I love animals too, so don't think I don't spend any time looking at the exhibits...I do!

You guys who see this as another place where 'Disney can do no wrong' need to realize that the majority of guest who visit WDW think of this place as a half day park. It really does need a few more E-Ticket attractions, and maybe a few more dark rides, AND a few more animal habitats. Adding more stuff to this park cannot hurt it.

lebeau

With little kids and a nice zoo nearby, we struggle to spend a half day at AK.

Actually, that's not true. We skipped AK entirely on our last trip. The only attractions that appealed to my 5-year-old were the safari and the playground. And since there are playgrounds in every park but Epcot and every other park had more appealing attractions, we didn't bother. Guess that makes it a zero-day park for us.

Sure, she'd have liked the animal exhibits okay. But like I said, we have a good zoo at home.

njDizFan

Yes I am a AK Fanboi but let's do the math:

Nemo, Flights of Wonder, FotLK all half hour shows with half hour wait (2 1/2-3 hours) and you still have to schedule starting times in between other attractions.

EE, Dinosaur, Kali, KS, ITTBaB, if you can fastpass most still about 15- 30 minute average wait + ride time (2 hours)

Spending maybe 20- 30 minutes each at Discovery Island, Maharaja, Pangini, Affectation, Habitat/ Habitat, Conservation station waiting for the train back and forth(2 hours)

Lunch, walking to each attraction (2 hours)

An hour between a snack, maybe triceratops, primeval, boneyard, games, street performers…etc

If the stars align you could do this in 10 hours…if it’s open till 7 and you don’t want to see the parade, yes it can be done in a full day.

cblodg

DAK has always been less than a full-day park for us. We usually hit up E:E first, then Safari, CTX, FotLK, Nemo show and KRR. Mix in a lunch and we're out of the park between 2:30 and 3:00. We don't go to the petting/affections station as we don't see the need and there are no longer little kids with us. Can't stand Chester'n'Hesters so we skip that too. Boneyard is really for kids so we haven't gone in there since the park opened.

As you can see, the park is completely doable in less than a full day. And don't tell me that I'm doing something wrong simply because I don't spend a full day in DAK. Of all the parks, DAK is our least favorite, followed by DHS.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
OK I decided to do a little math to either prove or disprove the whole 1/2 day park thing. I had to assign a value to wait times for attractions and shows but they are far from out of the ordinary and IMHO a little on the light side. The ride and show lengths are from Disney by the numbers.

Rides
KS 22 minutes + 20 minute wait
E:E 3 minute ride time + 20 minute wait
Kali 4.5 minute ride time + 20 minute wait
Dinosaur 3.5 minute ride time + 20 minute wait
PW 2.5 minute ride time + 20 minute wait
Triceratops Spin 2 minute ride time + 20 wait

157.5 minutes for rides

Shows
FoW 25 minute show time
Finding Nemo 35 minute show time
FOYLK 28 minute show time
Jammin Jungle Parade 15 minute show time
ITTBAB 8 minutes
Wait times for shows 60 minutes total

171 minutes for shows

Lunch 30 minutes

That totals up to 358.5 minutes or right at 5.5 hours. AK is typically open from 9-5 (8 hours) leaving only 2.5 hours to visit Rafiki's Plant watch, Pangani forest trail, Maharaji Jungle Trek, Cretaceous trail, the Bone Yard, Dinoramma, Village Beatniks, Mor Tiham, and walking time from attraction to attraction.

lebeau

OK I decided to do a little math to either prove or disprove the whole 1/2 day park thing. I had to assign a value to wait times for attractions and shows but they are far from out of the ordinary and IMHO a little on the light side. The ride and show lengths are from Disney by the numbers.

Rides
KS 22 minutes + 20 minute wait
E:E 3 minute ride time + 20 minute wait
Kali 4.5 minute ride time + 20 minute wait
Dinosaur 3.5 minute ride time + 20 minute wait
PW 2.5 minute ride time + 20 minute wait
Triceratops Spin 2 minute ride time + 20 wait

157.5 minutes for rides

Shows
FoW 25 minute show time
Finding Nemo 35 minute show time
FOYLK 28 minute show time
Jammin Jungle Parade 15 minute show time
ITTBAB 8 minutes
Wait times for shows 60 minutes total

171 minutes for shows

Lunch 30 minutes

That totals up to 358.5 minutes or right at 5.5 hours. AK is typically open from 9-5 (8 hours) leaving only 2.5 hours to visit Rafiki's Plant watch, Pangani forest trail, Maharaji Jungle Trek, Cretaceous trail, the Bone Yard, Dinoramma, Village Beatniks, Mor Tiham, and walking time from attraction to attraction.

Are there enough things to do to fill a day? Yes.

Are there enough things that most people want to do to fill a day? Debatable.

Are there enough things that my family wants to do to fill a day? Nope. Not even close.

Are there enough things that my family wants to do to fill a day? Nope. Not even close.
Thats the point thats why they need more attractions to appeal to different people. Epcot and MK do this for people.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

If we go by that definition then all of the parks are half day parks.

cblodg

Yes, but some do more than others to offer more things that varying types of people want to see! And just because some don't want to see EVERYTHING the park has to offer, doesn't mean they are doing it wrong or are not 'taking in the full effect' of the park.

It's statements like the last two that ________ me off to no end. I can't make it to WDW every year or every month so I have to do what will maximize both my and my family's enjoyment. If that means spending a half day in DAK, so be it.

Ijones88

Does anyone remember the fire that use to come out of the cave on the river that you could see from the bridge crossing over to Camp M/M? Was that originally something to do with BK??

lebeau

If we go by that definition then all of the parks are half day parks.

Not for my family. We spent several entire days at MK and Epcot. We even spent a few half days (two full days in total) at DHS! We can find more to do at DTD than we can at AK.

That's because we have small children that can't or don't want to ride most of the rides at AK. And they are too impatient for shows. We have a decent zoo nearby, so the animal exhibits are of limited appeal to us.

Mileage will vary from family to family. Obviously, there are families that do spend full days at AK. But just because we're not one of them doesn't mean we're doing something wrong.

And just because we don't spend a full day at AK, that doesn't make it a half-day park. But if most guests don't spend a full day there, then I think it is fair to call it a half day park for most people. (No idea if that is true or not.)

MotherOfBirds

Does anyone remember the fire that use to come out of the cave on the river that you could see from the bridge crossing over to Camp M/M? Was that originally something to do with BK??

Yes, that was part of a BK preview that got scaled down, no pun intended. There was originally supposed to be a fire breathing dragon on the river for the Discovery Boats when they found out they would have to do BK later, as sort of a preview, but it got scaled back into a cave that suggested a dragon that continued to operate for a few years after the boats closed.

Here, I even have a pic of the original concept:
DSC00829.jpg

Does anyone know what those little tiki-hut things by the Tree of Life are supposed to be for?

And here is the sad little cave we got:
cmmcavefire.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not for my family. We spent several entire days at MK and Epcot. We even spent a few half days (two full days in total) at DHS! We can find more to do at DTD than we can at AK.

That's because we have small children that can't or don't want to ride most of the rides at AK. And they are too impatient for shows. We have a decent zoo nearby, so the animal exhibits are of limited appeal to us.

Mileage will vary from family to family. Obviously, there are families that do spend full days at AK. But just because we're not one of them doesn't mean we're doing something wrong.

And just because we don't spend a full day at AK, that doesn't make it a half-day park. But if most guests don't spend a full day there, then I think it is fair to call it a half day park for most people. (No idea if that is true or not.)
What your family does is not at debate here. The argument was that AK did not have enough to do to fill an 8 hour day...not whether you wanted to do it all. I have shown that AK has more than enough activities, attractions and shows to fill an 8 hour day.

The statement I made that your doing something wrong is made mainly in jest. AK was not designed to be an MK where you hop from on attraction to the next.

lebeau

What your family does is not at debate here. The argument was that AK did not have enough to do to fill an 8 hour day...not whether you wanted to do it all. I have shown that AK has more than enough activities, attractions and shows to fill an 8 hour day.

The statement I made that your doing something wrong is made mainly in jest. AK was not designed to be an MK where you hop from on attraction to the next.

Fair enough. I think you've proven the first point. There's enough to do to occupy someone for 8 hours. Then again, that's also true at work.

To me, the more relavant point is whether or not most people find enough worthwhile to do to at AK to make it worth spending 8 hours of expensive vacation time there. I don't know if your average tourist does or not. Judging from the boards, a lot of people here do not.

I get that AK has a different feel from MK. That's cool. I would prefer the parks feel more unique. And not every park has to appeal to everyone equally.

I'm sure if Disney isn't satisfied with how long visitors spend at AK, they will rectify the problem.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Fair enough. I think you've proven the first point. There's enough to do to occupy someone for 8 hours. Then again, that's also true at work.

To me, the more relavant point is whether or not most people find enough worthwhile to do to at AK to make it worth spending 8 hours of expensive vacation time there. I don't know if your average tourist does or not. Judging from the boards, a lot of people here do not.

I get that AK has a different feel from MK. That's cool. I would prefer the parks feel more unique. And not every park has to appeal to everyone equally.

I'm sure if Disney isn't satisfied with how long visitors spend at AK, they will rectify the problem.
This is very correct. The average person will not want to spend 8 hours there and that is indeed a problem that could be rectified with additional attractions. It is not unlike the problem Epcot had in the late 80's early 90's where it was considered the most boring place on earth by your average WDW guest. Unfortunately for Epcot it meant that many of it's iconic attractions (Horizons, TLS and WoM) had to die and be transforms into thrill rides. Thankfully I do not think that AK will have to make the same sacrifices to add a few e-tickets. A fact which I am quite thankful for as my time spent at AK tends to be the most relaxing and enjoyable of all of the 4 parks.

This is very correct. The average person will not want to spend 8 hours there and that is indeed a problem that could be rectified with additional attractions. It is not unlike the problem Epcot had in the late 80's early 90's where it was considered the most boring place on earth by your average WDW guest. Unfortunately for Epcot it meant that many of it's iconic attractions (Horizons, TLS and WoM) had to die and be transforms into thrill rides. Thankfully I do not think that AK will have to make the same sacrifices to add a few e-tickets. A fact which I am quite thankful for as my time spent at AK tends to be the most relaxing and enjoyable of all of the 4 parks.
Only problem with adding E tickets is that it will make AK jam packed with people even worse than MK. There going to have to even it out with additional dark rides as well.

BrerFrog

Quality, not quantity. :) DAK<3

I don't think I could ever fully enjoy a normal zoo anymore after experiencing the realistic picture WDI has portrayed in DAK's exhibits.

Amen to that!

You guys who see this as another place where 'Disney can do no wrong' need to realize that the majority of guest who visit WDW think of this place as a half day park. It really does need a few more E-Ticket attractions, and maybe a few more dark rides, AND a few more animal habitats. Adding more stuff to this park cannot hurt it.

I love AK, but I don't think 'Disney can do no wrong'. I think all of WDW's parks could be significantly better than they are in their current state, but that doesn't stop me from thinking that AK is a two-day park. :)

IWant2GoNow

I've got to chime in....you DAK super fanboys are really loving it up on this half day park. I go to AK every year. I do EVERYTHING:all the shows, all the rides, walk all the trails, look for different places to eat, play in the boneyard...and I always get everything finished well before park close. I'd say at least two or three hours before park close. I love animals too, so don't think I don't spend any time looking at the exhibits...I do!

Ease off on your main thruster.

Trust me, DAK CAN do wrong. Look at E:E's condition, look at Dinosaur's special effects, look at Chester & Hester, etc. I also don't think that any of us who are defending against the "half day park" theory think that DAK is in any way shape or form "complete". It still suffers from capacity issues and a lack of ride variety.

Not to speak for the others, but I believe what we're trying to say is that with what Disney offers at DAK right now there is enough to fill more than half a day IF, and only IF, you have a desire to see and do all that is available. And in a comfortable amount of time, I may add.

Now you say you've gone to DAK and done everything they have to offer within 2 or 3 hours of the park closing. I'm not sure when you went (time of year, EMH or not) but either way 2 or 3 hours before park closing would mean you were there for most of the operating hours. If we are talking about time of day, then yea, you would be out around 5 or 6 if they closed at 8, so technically there's half a day left, but not half a day left until DAK closed.

I'm not trying to argue or stir up anything. I'm just interested in seeing how so many people consider this a half day park. :wave:

lebeau

I actually thought about the Epcot comparisson as I was writing about AK's "half day" problem. Although I *think* if you were to put them side to side, old school Epcot had more to do than present day AK. I know I had no problem passing a whole day at Epcot.

You're right that the solution to AK's "problem" doesn't have to be nearly as severe as what happened at Epcot. If they add more of the same, AK will be fine. People enjoy the park. They just want more of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom