New attractions for AK

If it weren't for Pumbas countering all the fan boy stupidity going on here since HP opened up (go figure), I'm pretty sure all our IQ's would have plummeted.
I agree with Pumbas on that there are a lot of fanboys who fail to realize the impact and greatness of the expansion. They just suffer from too much Star Wars and Pixie Dust.

misterID

One of the things that gets under my crawl is the fake arguments people have been making that UNI is going to suddenly take WDW's spot as the number 1 resort, or suddenly make WDW a ghost town, when no one has said that.

Oh, and the "Harry Potter has no staying power" when its been around for over ten years already and is still popular with a huge fanbase. But no one will remember it in 2 years!

If AK only takes half a day you are doing it wrong.

I have to disagree here. You can't expect the average person to do everything at AK including all the walking paths. That just doesn't appeal to everyone. There's things at all the parks I never do, but still manage to find enough to fill my day. AK just doesn't have a lot of variety. If you want to spend a full day at AK you can't skip anything. And still, I'm not sure it'd take a full day. So, no, they're not doing it wrong.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I really hope your joking about your enjoyment of Sounds Dangerous.

No Im not. And despite the accusation made on here its not just a perverse pleasure from knowing germa- phobes hate using the headphones. Its departure will IMHO leave another empty lot, the idea is great and surely (for those obsessed by such things) in keeping with the Studios original premise.

And Ill admit to liking Chester and Hester too. Simple pleasures for a simple mind.

erasure fan1

I could go through any theme park in the world in less than half a day, if I wanted to be narrow minded enough.
Well sure you can, I would agree. Except you do not need to be "narrow minded" to go through AK in 1/2 a day. If you think the AK is fine with the number of attractions it has thats great, but I would call that being a bit narrow minded.

master yoda said:
If AK only takes half a day you are doing it wrong.
First off dont get me wrong I love AK, but facts are facts. On our last trip we did every attraction (some twice) but a bugs life. We did the walk-throughs and saw some shows, including the nemo show, and we were done before 1. Hows that doing it wrong? Am I supposed to just meander about, basking in the beauty of the park? That might be what you like to do and thats great. I could say if it takes you longer than 1/2 a day you're doing it wrong. Everyone does things different so whos to say one is wrong or right? The fact is the park needs a few more attractions.

Tigerace81

Well, there's another movie coming out in 2011 (Book 7 is being split into two parts). More importantly, the effect of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter can't be underestimated. If Disney underestimated their competition they wouldn't be in the position they're in now - the leader in the industry.

I guarantee that they have a plan in place, should The Wizarding World directly effect their bottom line. They had similar plans in place when Islands of Adventure first opened, but they found they didn't have to implement these plans. After the initial surge of fandom dies down for the IOA expansion, I expect Disney to determine how strong a reaction they need to go forward with.

While im not doubting it, as I was once a huge fan myself, it just seems to have come too late. In about 5-6 years after everything is over your going to have kids asking what HP is. And recently the movies have only degraded in quality. Hopefully they never get to the point of Twillight (I know I'm going to take heat on that) where the acting is just horrible, but WWOHP is a nice addition but it came to late in the series. Great theme work but hardly any new attractions. Dragon Challenge is mostly unchanged aside from the paint and station/queue work. Same for Hippogriffs Flight (I believe thats the name). The only new ride is the Forbidden Journey. Theres really not much Disney has to do to match what Universal did.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have to disagree here. You can't expect the average person to do everything at AK including all the walking paths. That just doesn't appeal to everyone. There's things at all the parks I never do, but still manage to find enough to fill my day. AK just doesn't have a lot of variety. If you want to spend a full day at AK you can't skip anything. And still, I'm not sure it'd take a full day. So, no, they're not doing it wrong.

First off dont get me wrong I love AK, but facts are facts. On our last trip we did every attraction (some twice) but a bugs life. We did the walk-throughs and saw some shows, including the nemo show, and we were done before 1. Hows that doing it wrong? Am I supposed to just meander about, basking in the beauty of the park? That might be what you like to do and thats great. I could say if it takes you longer than 1/2 a day you're doing it wrong. Everyone does things different so whos to say one is wrong or right? The fact is the park needs a few more attractions.
If all you do is hop from attraction to attraction in the most efficient manner then you will be done in half a day and according to AK lead creator Joe Rhode you are doing it wrong. He said it himself...slow down look around, go down a path you have never walked down before. Sure that is not for everyone but to claim the park is a 1/2 day park is simply incorrect. It would be no different that claiming that Titanic was only 1.5 hours long because you always walk out in the middle.

misterID

You're basing that purely on what's technically available, not what people want to do. There is no variety in that regard. Why would I want to pay for a ticket to a theme park that requires me to go on walking trails and attend shows I don't really want to see, and to stop, look around at everything, soak up the ambiance, to get my money's worth. I'm sure if I killed a few hours at the boneyard I could make it a full day. I don't accept the idea that things, like ambiance, which is supposed to heighten the experience, should be considered an "attraction."

No offense, but if you're spending money on a ticket, there is no wrong way to visit a park. This is why people feel ripped off when visiting the park. And I think AK is Disney's best themed and most beautiful park, but that doesn't take away from the fact there's not a lot to do, especially when you've got a family. It's not as bad as it was when it first opened, but there hasn't been a whole lot of progress either.

I bet Joe would agree.

You're basing that purely on what's technically available, not what people want to do. There is no variety in that regard. Why would I want to pay for a ticket to a theme park that requires me to go on walking trails and attend shows I don't really want to see, and to stop, look around at everything, soak up the ambiance, to get my money's worth. I'm sure if I killed a few hours at the boneyard I could make it a full day. I don't accept the idea that things, like ambiance, which is supposed to heighten the experience, should be considered an "attraction."

No offense, but if you're spending money on a ticket, there is no wrong way to visit a park. This is why people feel ripped off when visiting the park. And I think AK is Disney's best themed and most beautiful park, but that doesn't take away from the fact there's not a lot to do, especially when you've got a family. It's not as bad as it was when it first opened, but there hasn't been a whole lot of progress either.

I bet Joe would agree.
All the shows are good at Ak and Dinosaur, Its Tough to Be a Bug, EE and Kali are great attractions. They need to add one more E Ticket and 2 dark rides then AK will be one of the best parks in the world.

erasure fan1

If all you do is hop from attraction to attraction in the most efficient manner then you will be done in half a day and according to AK lead creator Joe Rhode you are doing it wrong. He said it himself...slow down look around, go down a path you have never walked down before. Sure that is not for everyone but to claim the park is a 1/2 day park is simply incorrect. It would be no different that claiming that Titanic was only 1.5 hours long because you always walk out in the middle.
Of course hes going to say slow down and go down a path you have never seen. Whats he going to say, oops, sorry that there isnt a lot to do? No hes going to sugar coat it because there isnt enough for a full day. I will agree with you if you are talking about someone who hasnt been there before. But I have been there just about every year the AK has been open and you can only go down paths and soak up the ambiance so much. Even if there is a path that Ive never walked down before, it still wont lead me to anything new. Dont settle for what Joe is selling, AK, with some attention, could easily give MK a run for best park.

IWant2GoNow

I agree completely, Yoda. DAK is amazingly huge and there is plenty of things to do if you take the time to do them.

What I think we have here is maybe some people who don't care too much to watch animals. I've had numerous experiences with friends who want to go to the Cleveland Zoo but all they do is walk by the exhibits and kinda glance over at the bears, or the monkeys, or lions, or whatever else their might be. I'm the kind of person that will stay at an animal exhibit for at least 5-10 minutes just watching them in a somewhat natural habitat.

Having been to the Cleveland Zoo AND DAK, there is absolutely no comparison at all. And if it takes me half a day to walk around the Cleveland Zoo with no rides then it is definitely going to take me a day to cover DAK with shows, rides, and much larger, much more real animal exhibits.

But that's just me and there's a lot of people out there who think watching animals is boring. So I don't want to speak for any of you but is that why it only takes you half a day? Just wondering. :shrug:

_Scar

Quality, not quantity. :) DAK<3

I don't think I could ever fully enjoy a normal zoo anymore after experiencing the realistic picture WDI has portrayed in DAK's exhibits.

RadioHead

Quality, not quantity. :) DAK<3

I don't think I could ever fully enjoy a normal zoo anymore after experiencing the realistic picture WDI has portrayed in DAK's exhibits.

Same here. We have our Cincinnati Zoo, which is the oldest, and considered as the top 10 best zoo's in America. I just went with my family a week ago, and just felt down right depressed. Seeing the animals, locked up, as if they were prisoners. In these small cages, some with feces covered throughout. Some of the monkeys are inside, and have patches of no hair because of the lack of vitamin D from the sun.

If AK is considered as simply a Zoo, then hell it should be considered one of the best zoo's in the country.

lebeau

Same here. We have our Cincinnati Zoo, which is the oldest, and considered as the top 10 best zoo's in America. I just went with my family a week ago, and just felt down right depressed. Seeing the animals, locked up, as if they were prisoners. In these small cages, some with feces covered throughout. Some of the monkeys are inside, and have patches of no hair because of the lack of vitamin D from the sun.

If AK is considered as simply a Zoo, then hell it should be considered one of the best zoo's in the country.

I gotta stand up for the Cincy Zoo. As Zoo's go, the Cincinnati Zoo is awesome. And someone in charge over there has clearly been to Animal Kingdom. Although they don't have any coasters or anything on that scale, I get a definite AK vibe while I am there.

AK is better hands down. But that's not really a fair comparisson.

I just wish the Zoo wasn't so darned crowded all the time. That's the only reason we don't go very often any more.

njDizFan

I've said it before and I will always say it, I don't understand how anyone can do all of DAK in less than 2 days. Maybe I go at the wrong times but there is just so much to see.

It takes me half a day just to do all the trails, between Discovery Island, Maharajah, Pangani, the train, Rifiki's, Affectation.

then another half a day to do all the shows, flights of wonder, Nemo, FotLK (all are pretty long shows with long waits).

At least a half a day to do the major attractions, EE, Dinosaur, Kali, KS, ITtbaB.

Then if you spend a few hours between lunch, watching the street peformers, doing the carnivals rides or games.

Like I said granted I always vacation during peak times, but I'm not just strolling around aimlessly, I usually go almost full out commando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom