Never Again!. Nope I Mean It.

smp2k6

Yes... Boardwalk. We stayed there for our honeymoon (in addition to WL Villas and POP.. we were at WDW for 3 weeks). We went all out and stayed in one of the Garden Suite "cottages". It was a horrible choice. AC had major problems and the room smelled like mold really bad. They tried to move us to the suite next door and it had the same problem. That part of the resort was definitely suffering from water damage at the time (2007). Extremely bad mold smell. No other available rooms and our favorite resort, WL was booked. They didn't offer anything to compensate for the poor room. In fact they agreed the room didn't smell good and that was about it. We were told that if we ended our stay early we would have to pay for the remaining nights anyway. We had to get room deodorizers and leave the AC off. Nothing special about the cottage. No kitchen, dead flowers in the flower garden. Definitely wasn't worth the $550 a night we paid for a week. Never again. Love the boardwalk at night on the water. We still visit that, but for a deluxe resort we stick with the Lodge and if we want full kitchens we go for the Villas at the Lodge. Otherwise, it's POP, CBR or Riverside.

bethymouse

Oh my! Interesting thread!:eek: I've stayed @ ASM Suite, POP, PORS, CBR, WL, and POLY. I was never truly disappointed in any of them! My fave so far is WL, but the POLY is lovely ( it's just too much $$$).:( it does need a refurb too, so I'm glad that's happening.:) Back in the day, when the Poly and Contemporary were the only 2 hotels on property and MK was the only park, we stayed @ Contempo Tower room, and it was so lovely! I remember watching my Dad ride on a watercraft, we waved @ him! ( Bay Lake View). I believe back then, there were no pricing differences ( 1971).;) My how times have changed!:eek:

mickey2008.1

Never ever CBR again! Our last trip there was horrendous. The rooms were beat up, dirty carpet, paint falling off in bathrooms, and bugs. We had love bugs all over our room, curtains, lights, beds, in the showers. We did not leave doors open or anything, the weater striping on the doors was rotted away. The resort did not seem to really care, but WDW did. They upgraded us up to GF! We did not ask for this, but they said rooms should never have beeen like that. CBR still has not ben redone, so not going there. Going to try POR this year. I hope Hatter is right about the place, or no beverages for him on his. Next trip! By the way, the upgrade was mk view

deanaandrich

I don't stay on site very often since we live so close and make day trips. We typically stay offsite as prices are so much more reasonable. That being said I cannot stand the all star resorts. The pillows are awful and the walls are paper thin. It's just loud!

Todd H

We stayed at Pop during our last trip and it was absolutely miserable thanks to the place being infested with tons of Brazilian tour groups. Whenever we do decide to go back to WDW we definitely will spend the extra money to stay in a deluxe so that we can avoid them.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We stayed at Pop during our last trip and it was absolutely miserable thanks to the place being infested with tons of Brazilian tour groups. Whenever we do decide to go back to WDW we definitely will spend the extra money to stay in a deluxe so that we can avoid them.

No reason to go full deluxe, check out the moderates...and it's not just Brazilians...

I found Pop to be very loud as well.

Also, GO DAWGS (though I'm a Vols fan, I still love them Dawgs...)

Figments Friend

Forgive the non-responsiveness of my response, but... although we've never stayed at Saratoga Springs (a DVC-only resort), I am 100% convinced that we never would, solely because it's themed to Upstate New York and to equestrian pursuits. We live in Upstate New York, close to a race track, with lots of local restaurants and hotels themed around the horses, so to us the theming at Saratoga Springs just feels like a "ho-hum," unthemed slice of home -- which is the opposite of what we want when on vacation.

I can totally relate to what you are saying here.
The Yatch & Beach Clubs are very *ho-hum* to me for the same reason you describe above. A pair of New England-themed seaside resorts have no appeal to me because i have lived in the that area and it is very familar.
Could never really see the appeal there...themematically....but maybe some folks from the Northeast dig it because, well, it reminds them of home..?

Not my cup of tea...but each there own.

Figments Friend

Regarding the comments about the bad experiences at the All Star Resorts:

It sounds like many folks who had negative experiences traveled during times of the year that bring on the hordes.
Did you visit during peak-season in the Summertime?
Perhaps you stayed when a school/band/sports event was being held on property?
Tour Group season time?

I always travel off-season , usually early/mid January or early/mid September with excellent results both Resort-wise and Park wise.
ASMusic has been my *small apartment* away from home multiple times and I have yet to have had any real issues over the 12 years i have kept coming back to it.
The difference may be that i lessen the chances for unpleasantness greatly by intentionally avoiding the popular travel times for tour groups, cheerleaders comps, marathons, Grad Nights, special events, school breaks, and the like.
ALL of those types of groups use the All Stars whenever their yearly time blocks come up. It is worth learning when these times of the year are, and avoid them.

I feel bad for those who have had to room there while any of these large types of rowdy groups were in residence.

Staying off-season really keeps the sanity levels in check when staying on the cheap which i often do at WDW, and the All Stars are where all the large groups tend to go. They are also very popular with families with kids...and large families on a budget in general.

I will admit that the Food Court during the morning hours can be outright, utter chaos.
Probably the only real downside for me...but all the more reason to eat breakfast elsewhere, or in a Park.

Here is a helpful tip i will share that might help some get a better stay at the All Stars:

I find of the three Resorts, ASMusic has the lesser concentration of people with children.
Movies tends to have the highest concentration of families with children, drawn to the Toy Story statue decor primarily.
Sports draws mostly the tour groups, school groups, band and cheerleader comp contestants when they are in town.

Something i mentioned in another thread that i should mention here that is a hidden benefit of staying at the All Stars is the bus service....particularly during *park dump* ( when a Park closes, and everyone rushes out after the fireworks and packs into the bus lines like cattle ). At this time of the day, everyone is usually very tired from a full day in the Parks and tensions run high as people are anxious to get back to their Resorts for the night.

Unlike other Resorts, the All Stars have THREE bus options when you think about it.
All other Resorts have ONE line for that Resort. So everyone jams into it..and it becomes crazy long.
Not so with the All Stars. You have THREE lines, each with bus service. YAY!
Yes, they are usually quite long ...BUT there will always be one that is shorter then the others, particularly the later you wait to get into a line.

The three hotels are only seperated by a parking lot between each, which is a massive blessing in disguise. So it really does not matter what bus you get on, so long as it goes to one of the All Star Resorts. You can walk from Resort to Resort in no time at all.

Pick the shortest line, regardless of which one you are rooming in.
Take that bus....get off...and just walk across the parking lot to your actual Resort.
It is only a five minute walk, if that.
Simple.
You are in bed and asleep before those people in the cattle herd are even crossing the first step up onto a bus!

This has saved me many times from standing in line for a long time in some cases when one particular All Star Resort bus was lagging in service and the other two All Star properties were not. I would hop *Sports* when i was actually staying at *Music* and after arriving i walked across the lot and within 5 minutes i was in my room.

I should note that this stragety works best during Park Close...at all Parks, MK and EC exspecially. Also, sometimes AS Resorts shares routes, so instead of three different buses/lines, you will only have one. This usually depends on the crowd levels and i find during the peak crunch time right after the final fireworks there is usually three Resort-specific buses.

I hope the above tips help to encourage those wanting to stay on a budget to try the All Stars. :)

Remember, when it comes to the Value Resorts in general, you really have to pay attention to the time of year you plan to visit and what else may be happening at that same time on property.

Enjoy your stay...!

MOXOMUMD

I will never again not ever do the All Star Sports. And not because of cheerleaders, Brazilians, marathons and the like. We usually stay at Pop Century and have dealt with the Pop Warner kids through the years. This doesn't bother me.

We stayed for a short trip during SWW last year. We arrived late from a plane delay and was happy to get into our room only to find someone had used the bathroom vent and smoked in it. I called the front desk and told them since I was worried I would be penalized for it. Being so late and needing to be up early for autograph fastpasses I told them if they could have someone take care of it the following day was fine.

We came back to our room that evening to find the room still reeking. I called again and they said mousekeeping might have forgotten but someone would right up. I told them again it was the vent that needs air freshener. The guy shows up with a new shower curtain. The man says the smoke smell is in the old shower curtain. I'm standing on the toilet telling him we can't turn on the light because it's a smokey vent. (Who's on first?) By this time I didn't care if they taped a urinal cake to the ceiling we had to be up early again for autograph fastpasses. He leaves the shower curtain and promised to have mousekeeping take care of it first thing in the morning.

We go to SWW, come back to our room to find the garbage cans on the toilet, sink and table, the room still smokey but a can of mousekeeping's air freshner sitting on top of the shower curtain with a note saying "for you". (Smarty bottoms!) I was so glad we were checking out in a few hours for an early flight. I stopped at the front desk to let them know about our problems before catching DME and all they said was they were sorry and took my room number. And no, I was never offered a different room. And yes, I did ask but they said they were full from marching bands. And yes, I brought the air freshener home. It did have a note saying "for you" after all. No never not ever would I do All Star Sports again. I would rather sleep in the McD's lobby down the street first.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I'll probably get flamed here, but there was very little I enjoyed about Riverside. I'd much rather stay at Pop (and have a number of times) than PORS. The things I didn't like were the layout of the resort, the food court, and the absolutely HORRIBLE (at least when we were there) bus service. We were there during value season and at one point after waiting 45 minutes to get on a bus that wasn't completely packed going to MK we got a cab, and this was around 9am. After that, we vowed never to return. The boat ride to downtown Disney was nice and maybe we would like French Quarter better, but I didn't like the rooms or that nothing was convenient to get to.
:eek: Gobsmacked as I think the layout and grounds are awesome as also the food court..Yes I agree that the buses sometimes can be frustrating..

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Couldn't wait to get out of POR. Ginormous (and beautiful) resort - ended up having to drag all our bags ourselves all the way across it twice. Bus service was deplorable. It's too bad, because it's truly a gorgeous, gorgeous place. Won't do CBR again either - in fact, you'll never find me in a moderate again. Not enough value for the inflated price compared to Pop/AOA, which have good food, shorter walks and dedicated bus service in a centralized location. If I'm going to spend money on a resort, we're going whole hog at a Deluxe like AKL or Beach Club.
Heres my tip...Sell those drag bags and buy suitcases with wheels..;)

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Never ever CBR again! Our last trip there was horrendous. The rooms were beat up, dirty carpet, paint falling off in bathrooms, and bugs. We had love bugs all over our room, curtains, lights, beds, in the showers. We did not leave doors open or anything, the weater striping on the doors was rotted away. The resort did not seem to really care, but WDW did. They upgraded us up to GF! We did not ask for this, but they said rooms should never have beeen like that. CBR still has not ben redone, so not going there. Going to try POR this year. I hope Hatter is right about the place, or no beverages for him on his. Next trip! By the way, the upgrade was mk view
Fingers crossed that you'll love it..The morning sunrise on a bridge looking down the Sassagoula river is beautiful..God I wish I was there right now..Theres an old saying over here..See Capri and die..(It's an island in the med.) For me it's See PORS and die..

englanddg

One Little Spark...

So interesting, cause I stayed there in 2010 and 2011 and the rooms were great, as was the resort!

donaldtoo

The short, but sweet of it...
We stayed at POR in '01 and '04 (been doin' values since) and absolutely LOVED it! We still consider it our "home" resort 'cause it was our Disney kiddos first 2 trips. :)
Just all the talk in this thread about it is makin' me miss it even more. Such Magical memories of Port Orleans Riverside!
Need to try to get back there ASAP...! :)

LaughingGravy

CBR. It's too big. It's too spread out. It's too pastel.
I love the Contemporary or Dolphin because I'd rather take an elevator to the 10th floor than drive 3.5 miles to building #5600.
^^^What he said^^^
Stayed at CBR one time for the reasons he mentioned plus the food court was akin to what is available at a small suburban mall or less.

DisneyDebNJ

Good Morning Folks..After some interesting thoughts on the GF. I was wondering. Have you ever stayed at a Disney resort that didn't live up to your expectations,and you swore never to stay there again..Having only stayed at three mods..CBR....POFQ...and PORS....I loved all of them tho my heart belongs to Riverside. But I'am curious ( as ever ) if anyone has had a "not so magical time" at a resort.?:(
Yes, Grand Floridian. I had high hopes as this resort came highly recommended. Just wasnt for us I guess

WDW_Emily

I remember I stayed at POP during POP Warner or whatever that brings all the teeny boopers. Between the drunk parents and the loud kids running around at 4am it was just too much. I love POP though just not during special events, lol.
These are my feeling towards All Star Sports. We stayed there back in 2010 and enjoyed the first two nights but after that a huge cheerleading competition came into the resort. From the crack of dawn to the wee hours of the morning people were outside practicing their cheers. Which while it was going on we went into the mind set of "It's their vacation too". When we got really annoyed was our last day, which happened to be the day of the cheerleading competition. On our last day we like to just hang out by the pool, take pictures around the resort, it's a very calm day for us. Well not that time. We went to the surf pool after breakfast around 10am and it was completely mobbed with cheerleaders doing stunts in the pools. Still in high spirits, we went over to the baseball pool where ever chair was taken by cheer moms. and the same stunts were happening in the pools and the surrounding areas. Granted these stunts were being done by teenagers! Which created a big splash and you needed to be a decent amount away from them. After that we said nope. We will be calling and asking disney if any events or big groups will be at our resort while we are staying there.

Dukeblue1227

Have stayed at BC, YC, Boardwalk, WL, AKL, POR, Pop, and all star movies and sports...

Only ones I didn't really care for were the all stars. Though I wouldn't not go if I were otherwise forced to stay at them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom