Never Again!. Nope I Mean It.

HollyAD

Had friends that just stayed at GF and weren't impressed for the amount of money paid. I would probably rather spend my money at WL (one of my favs!) where the atmosphere takes you to another place. I also love AKL with it's similar lay out. I have stayed at POP a few times with no problems. I am patiently waiting to try PORS! My only complaint were the Wilderness Cabins. We got there and there was a terrible storm and tress were down a I felt like I wasn't at Disney anymore. We called and Disney was happy to move us to another resort. The cabin itself was nice but everything was so far away. This was many years ago before you could book Disney online and see pictures! Or maybe I just didn't have internet lol.

Glasgow

Only bad experience we've had is at POR as well. Initially they said we had a first floor room .. Nope, got the upstairs room which was difficult with an infant. That wasn't so bad. She also told us we'd be guaranteed to stay in the same room even though I'd booked the first night separately .. She said she had never had to move any one before. Sure enough, I go to the front desk the next morning and they say we have to move rooms. We had already completely unpacked and set up the crib, etc. Now, I understand they can't guarantee the same room if you book the nights separately but the lady was adamant that we'd have no problems. I won't make that same mistake again. Of the 5 or 6 resorts we've stayed in on property POR was by FAR our worst experience. I know it all comes down to personal taste and which CMs you get but I don't think we'll be going back!

Weather_Lady

Forgive the non-responsiveness of my response, but... although we've never stayed at Saratoga Springs (a DVC-only resort), I am 100% convinced that we never would, solely because it's themed to Upstate New York and to equestrian pursuits. We live in Upstate New York, close to a race track, with lots of local restaurants and hotels themed around the horses, so to us the theming at Saratoga Springs just feels like a "ho-hum," unthemed slice of home -- which is the opposite of what we want when on vacation.

Which makes me wonder... do rich Floridians feel the same way about the Grand Floridian? Are residents of the Caribbean bored by the CBR? Do Peruvians see Coronado Springs as a mundane imitation of home? What do visitors from Africa think of the Animal Kingdom Lodge? If we had a resort themed to the Scottish highlands (which I would love), would The Real Mad Hatter stay there?

GiveMeTheMusic

Couldn't wait to get out of POR. Ginormous (and beautiful) resort - ended up having to drag all our bags ourselves all the way across it twice. Bus service was deplorable. It's too bad, because it's truly a gorgeous, gorgeous place. Won't do CBR again either - in fact, you'll never find me in a moderate again. Not enough value for the inflated price compared to Pop/AOA, which have good food, shorter walks and dedicated bus service in a centralized location. If I'm going to spend money on a resort, we're going whole hog at a Deluxe like AKL or Beach Club.

dopeylover

I hear too many complaints about values to the point that I'd rather not go until I can afford a Mod if it came down to it. I stayed at ASM but that was way back in my Senior year in high school, and at the time it was fairly new. I just remember liking it, but not. It was Disney, but a lot was lost on me b/c at the time the only other place I had stayed was Contemporary (my parents paid, lol). I don't want to offend anyone, but it just felt 'budget' to me. I love me a budget and getting things at a value, but I like to feel pampered on vacation. We're POR people as well, but we had to stay at CBR our last trip (POR was booked). Although I liked it, I wouldn't do it again unless I had to b/c everything is such a hike! Just too spread out for me.

disney4life2008

disney4life2008

Yep - POP! Never ever ever ever, nope nada, never again. There were these little bugs in the room, so loud, so crowded. Nope - won't do it again.

I remember I stayed at POP during POP Warner or whatever that brings all the teeny boopers. Between the drunk parents and the loud kids running around at 4am it was just too much. I love POP though just not during special events, lol.

PUSH

Hatter, we really have quite a bit in common! I've stayed at CBR and POR (not POFQ, though), and my heart belongs with POR, too. I've liked both resorts, though.

The other thing we have in common is the love affair with T-Rex. :p

Sumrdog

Forgive the non-responsiveness of my response, but... although we've never stayed at Saratoga Springs (a DVC-only resort), I am 100% convinced that we never would, solely because it's themed to Upstate New York and to equestrian pursuits. We live in Upstate New York, close to a race track, with lots of local restaurants and hotels themed around the horses, so to us the theming at Saratoga Springs just feels like a "ho-hum," unthemed slice of home -- which is the opposite of what we want when on vacation.

Which makes me wonder... do rich Floridians feel the same way about the Grand Floridian? Are residents of the Caribbean bored by the CBR? Do Peruvians see Coronado Springs as a mundane imitation of home? What do visitors from Africa think of the Animal Kingdom Lodge? If we had a resort themed to the Scottish highlands (which I would love), would The Real Mad Hatter stay there?

I can tell you that my husband feels that way about Wilderness Lodge, we go to Yellowstone every year and he works in Glacier National Park. So he feels like the Wilderness Lodge although a beautiful building, is not as grand as the real deal. I had this same discussion on another thread with @HouCuseChickie And once you have been to Yellowstone and spent the night in the geyser basin at Old Faithful, that little fake geyser out by the lake is really pretty sad.

HouCuseChickie

I can tell you that my husband feels that way about Wilderness Lodge, we go to Yellowstone every year and he works in Glacier National Park. So he feels like the Wilderness Lodge although a beautiful building, is not as grand as the real deal. I had this same discussion on another thread with @HouCuseChickie And once you have been to Yellowstone and spent the night in the geyser basin at Old Faithful, that little fake geyser out by the lake is really pretty sad.

I always feel bad when I talk down the geyser at WL, but until you've seen something natural like this in person...
th

...well, you know what I'm talking about.

And then there's the Inn vs. WL...

I just remember walking in there for the first time and thinking, "WOW! I get to stay here!!!" WL is great and all, but the Old Faithful Inn is just amazing. Sure, it feels more rough than WL, but it's mindblowing when you look at its construction and history. OK...now I want to go to Wyoming!!!! (waiting until I can trust the girls with thermal features and bison) ;)

Sumrdog

I always feel bad when I talk down the geyser at WL, but until you've seen something natural like this in person...
th

...well, you know what I'm talking about.

And then there's the Inn vs. WL...

I just remember walking in there for the first time and thinking, "WOW! I get to stay here!!!" WL is great and all, but the Old Faithful Inn is just amazing. Sure, it feels more rough than WL, but it's mindblowing when you look at its construction and history. OK...now I want to go to Wyoming!!!! (waiting until I can trust the girls with thermal features and bison) ;)

I know what you mean, just the sheer size of the fireplace hardware is mind boggling! There are animals everywhere and the thermal features are endlessly fascinating to watch... The lodges in Glacier are very similar to Old Faithful Inn and they are all set at the edge of the most beautiful, blue mountain lakes. I am really fortunate to live in Montana, sometimes I take it for granted how beautiful and wild my corner of the country is!

HouCuseChickie

I know what you mean, just the sheer size of the fireplace hardware is mind boggling! There are animals everywhere and the thermal features are endlessly fascinating to watch... The lodges in Glacier are very similar to Old Faithful Inn and they are all set at the edge of the most beautiful, blue mountain lakes. I am really fortunate to live in Montana, sometimes I take it for granted how beautiful and wild my corner of the country is!

It most certainly is a beautiful part of the country! :) We had talked about Glacier, but it all was around the time DD6 was born and just decided to put it off. DD6 is clumsy and daydreams, so I just fear that she'd wind up in one of the thermal features around the various low lying boardwalks b/c she wasn't paying attention. Then there's DD4 who has a defiant streak. She's getting better, but after a nailbiter moment up on the USS Texas last year I wouldn't dream of trusting her around the bison and elk. Geez...I barely trust DH around them! ;)

Sumrdog

It most certainly is a beautiful part of the country! :) We had talked about Glacier, but it all was around the time DD6 was born and just decided to put it off. DD6 is clumsy and daydreams, so I just fear that she'd wind up in one of the thermal features around the various low lying boardwalks b/c she wasn't paying attention. Then there's DD4 who has a defiant streak. She's getting better, but after a nailbiter moment up on the USS Texas last year I wouldn't dream of trusting her around the bison and elk. Geez...I barely trust DH around them! ;)

Well I can't fault you for waiting, if you go when they are a little older, they can do the Jr. Ranger program. My 10 year old loves doing it, they do an activity book and then get a badge and get sworn in as Jr. Rangers. At Yellowstone they have Jr. Ranger and Jr. Scientist so we got two patches! My kids like to collect things, I think they get that from me...

HouCuseChickie

Well I can't fault you for waiting, if you go when they are a little older, they can do the Jr. Ranger program. My 10 year old loves doing it, they do an activity book and then get a badge and get sworn in as Jr. Rangers. At Yellowstone they have Jr. Ranger and Jr. Scientist so we got two patches! My kids like to collect things, I think they get that from me...

I seem to remember hearing about this, maybe when we were up in the Mammoth area. Even more reason to wait...and I think they'd love getting to collect things. All in good time :)

Disneykidder

I will never stay at a ASSports again. It was noisy, crowded and there were a lot of teams playing there and they were awake at all hours of the night running around unsupervised. That was also the last time we stayed in a value...too crowded for us. I know this wasn't the fault of the resort...they were great there.

I have loved all of the other resorts.

jw24

I've stayed twice at All-Star Sports. (One on my class trip and second was my most recent trip last March for strictly financial reasons.) and after two trips, I don't think I'll ever stay there again. It's not that I hated the resort as a whole but I didn't like the fact that we had to share buses. I mean, it was nice to get on and off with ease generally speaking but arriving back from DTD while standing with very little to breathe or move was just awful. It didn't help there was not much to do there, as well. Pop Century was nice but it was noisy at times and very large and a bit hard to navigate around. Still, I would prefer Pop and AOA over the All-Stars if I had to pick a value resort though I would really like to try booking at a different tier of resorts. I'm thinking of a moderate whenever my next trip will be and by the looks of the comments, Coronado Springs or Carribbean Beach looks like the way to go...for my next indefinite WDW trip, that is.

Skippy's Pal

Three days (and nights) at Yacht Club without hot water kinda soured us there. We were in the furthest wing, and they just couldn't get the hot water to work. Daily complaints at the desk, but they didn't offer to relocate us until the day before we were to leave anyway. We do, however, love Beach Club and consider that our home resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom