Need Help! Attempting to convert BF into a Disney Lover!

disneyy

Hi,:wave: I often lurk here and have yet to post. You all know so much about Disney World and i need your help! So, I am currently planning a trip for 2012 or 2013 for my boyfriend and I. He has been once, when he was about four, and claims to remember absolutely nothing. So in a way it is his first trip. I REALLY want to make a good impressions on him and show him adults can have an awesome time in Disney! Please share some of your tips for having the ultimate trip!!
A few questions...
What time of year is best? (we have no restrictions with our jobs so it doesn't matter what month we take our vacation in)
What hotel to stay at? (I was thinking Poly. Although very pricey, it seems so fun and "disney".)
What restaurants? ( We both like all types of food- not picky)
Any special activities??

Again, I really appreciate any help you want to give me! This site is a wealth of Disney knowledge!

Thanks! :)

Marion

Does he like Halloween or Christmas? The MNSSHP in late Sept. And Nov. Is neat. I prefer Christmas. From the Monday after Thanksgiving until Dec. 22nd is the off season, and all of the parks are decorated for Christmas. There is a MVMCP for an additional fee. We like to catch the buses and resort hop. The resorts are beautiful. GF has a gingerbread house that is life-size. You can catch boats from some resorts such as POR,and Boardwalk.do not miss the lobby at WL and AK. Go online and check out all of the pictures of Disney at Christmas. A new resort is being built also. Good luck.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi,:wave: I often lurk here and have yet to post. You all know so much about Disney World and i need your help! So, I am currently planning a trip for 2012 or 2013 for my boyfriend and I. He has been once, when he was about four, and claims to remember absolutely nothing. So in a way it is his first trip. I REALLY want to make a good impressions on him and show him adults can have an awesome time in Disney! Please share some of your tips for having the ultimate trip!!
A few questions...
What time of year is best? (we have no restrictions with our jobs so it doesn't matter what month we take our vacation in)
What hotel to stay at? (I was thinking Poly. Although very pricey, it seems so fun and "disney".)
Any special activities??

Again, I really appreciate any help you want to give me! This site is a wealth of Disney knowledge!

Hey there, Thankfully I married a Mickey Man - however, he gets on my case about wanting to go on a vacation some please OTHER then Disney World! So last year I went to DL alone and this year, I am going to WDW with my mom. I will always get to down to WDW, with or without him! :lol: Anyway, my point it, that b/c we have been often and although he likes it a lot, I have come up with new things and new ways to keep him interested. For example, one year we spent a day at a water park, and another year took the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We also make ADR's for the yummiest places and try something new each visit. We have our regular places - Yak and Yeti at AK, Rose and Crown and Les Chefs in Epcot, Crystal Palace in MK. Although some what reluctant to do this, he is always glad he does - I ask him to sit with me and we go through the restaurants together - picking something new and something that he likes to eat (i.e. German Food) and I don't. I make sure to hit all the things he wants to see as well. And he always asks for a day at the resort - so we stay at Deluxe Resorts with the nicest amenities.

I hope this info helps! Oh, as for the best time to go - I would suggest late September and Early October. Lovely time of year and the crowds are lower. Also, you might be able to get him to do the NSSMHP!!! Good luck and happy planning! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Christmas time at Disney ( After Thanksgiving and before the actual holiday) is pretty great, but I think either May or October is more my choice. I love both for the weather, but October has the edge with the Food & Wine fest.
As far as resorts, I would look at the Contemporary, or the Yacht & Beach Club. I love the feeling at all three, and I think the location of the Y & B is just tops. I also love the monorail going through the Contemporary and the look of the rooms.
Restaurants are a tough call as I dont know your personal preferences. Check out the menus that are available at Disneyworld.com to get a great idea of what you might like.
Definitely plan on some more adult activities such as behind the scenes tours or a night at Raglan Road or any one of the more adult themed restaurants in Downtown Disney.
Most of all have a great time!!! Marie

Upvote 0

Mongomil

Could just tell him your going to drink your way around the world at Epcot. :D As for the resort Wilderness Lodge is very nice also and a little cheaper. Its not a monorail resort but you can take the boat to Magic Kingdom. I have never been to Poly so I can not comment on it. As for all the other resorts the big thing to remember about them is that the theme really does play a part. We are going to Coronado Springs because we live in the north east and have never been south west. So we figure this is a way to kind of experience it. As for time of year there are many special events that take place through out the year so take a look at them and see if any tickle the fancy and plan around it. http://www.wdwmagic.com/Events.htm

Upvote 0

disneyy

Original Poster
Wow! :)Thanks everyone I love all of the ideas! They are all great. I am definitely leaning towards October/November. Also I love the resort suggestions! Even though it is expensive, I want to stay deluxe because we will probably spend time hanging out at the hotel. A night at Raglan Road is a great idea-love the menu. Thanks again, and if anyone has more suggestions i will take them!! =)

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

A few questions...
Any special activities??

I would say the best time would be the second week of December. The crowds are much lighter and you still have the full benefit of Christmas decorations. Poly works for lodging although I would say to save the money and stay at Pop Century.

I would have to go to Cindy's for breakfast, Le Cellier, and Sci - Fi (lunch only). Tony's at the Magic Kingdom is really neat at night on the patio. Yak and Yeti at AK is really good and often overlooked.

Upvote 0

Mukta

I think the important thing is to integrate what he likes in his regular life into your vacation.
My Mom is not into theme parks or rides. I took her on the Behind the Seeds tour because she loves gardening and plants. She loved it and learned a lot.

The common misconceptions about Disney are that there are long lines for everything and everything is for kids. Go during a time of year where lines won't be long (September). Stay in a Deluxe for a taste of luxury. Eat in Signature restaurants so that the cuisine isn't just pizza and chicken fingers.
Unless he is really into characters, skip character meals.
There are plenty of ways to enjoy Disney without doing kiddie things.

Get an adult beverage and stroll around the World Showcase at night.
Eat at a later hour so that there are less children in the restaurant.
Enjoy evening EMH hours.
Try some activities like parasailing at the Contemporary
Watch the Electric Water Pageant from the beach at the Poly.
Watch fireworks from the Contemporary balcony or Cali Grill

Upvote 0
Don't overplan it or have expectations that are too high. That seems to ruin a lot of trips, particularly when couples have different levels of interest in WDW. Unless you're both on board for the "spreadsheet" kind of vacation, it's best to let it just happen (within reason--make your ADRs!).

Upvote 0

mp2bill

What time of year is best? - I like late April (after the 3rd full week of the month) or early May. That way, it's warm enough to go to the water parks, but not so hot that it's unbearable and you have to take a break to keep up your energy. Also, you'll miss all the school vacations.

What hotel to stay at? - I like the Wilderness Lodge (don't really know why...I think I just like the laid back feeling you get as well as the feeling of being camping while not actually having to be outside). Of course, if you want to have quick access to the MK, go with Contemporary, Bay Lake, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian. If you want to be close to everything, Coronado Springs is the place to be. It's also a moderate resort, so it'll cost you less, but if you book there, make sure to request to be as close as possible to the main building. Otherwise, it's quite the walk to get food or anything else you may need at the main building.

What restaurants? - Magic Kingdom: Liberty Tree Tavern of the Crystal Palace (although the CP is not as good, but is fun for character dining) EPCOT: too many to name, but my favs are La Cellier (which is now signature dining for dinner) and Rose and Crown. They're pretty much all good, however, I was not a huge fan of Akershus. Hollywood Studios: 50's Prime Time Cafe has good food, but I don't like how the Cast Members are so into character that they can sometimes be jerks (in case you're not familiar, they act like your parents, or at least parents from the 50s, so they constantly "scold" you for having your elbows on the table [even if it's just your forearms] and they are very forceful about making you eat all your food, even to the point of being degrading). The last part is the one that bothers me the most because they'll do it even if you tell them that you're full. I can undestand this being part of the character because kids will lie about being full in order to get out of eating vegetables, but when an adult tells you they're full, you might wanna break character and just drop the issue. Anyway, I digress...the Sci-Fi Dine-In theater is a fun place to eat too. Animal Kingdom: I was not a huge fan of any of their restaurants, although a lot of people like the Tusker House. I personally didn't see what was so great about it.

Any special activities?? - Any of the tours are pretty fun. Magic Kingdom: Disney's Keys to the Kingdom Tour is good. Make sure to do Wishes at least once. EPCOT - Around the world at EPCOT is great, although the tour guide largely makes the tour (be forewarned though, it's on Segways which take a bit of time to learn how to use...but they give you that tutorial at first anyway).

Special activity/dinner
- The Hoop De Doo Revue is awesome, and I remembered liking the Spirit of Aloha show at the Polynesian when I was younger, but when I saw it a couple of years ago, I was not impressed.

One last thing about converting you BF to a Disney lover...I hadn't been in 13 years when I went in 2009. I was expecting to have fun, but after being there for about 30 minutes, I became a total Disneyphile. Now, I can't get enough of Disney. I starting buying all their Blu-rays, I've read up on the history of all things Disney, I try and catch everything I can about Disney on TV and when I'm not at Disney World, I miss it everyday. I'm sure your boyfriend will love every minute of it.

Oh, one more last thing...I agree with Frau. You don't want to schedule everything. It's no fun that way. One thing you do want to schedule, though, is how much time you spend at the different parks. For instance, EPCOT is so big that you can't do it all in one day and enjoy it. I'd suggest doing Future World one day and then going back and doing the World Showcase another day. If you can take a 7-day or more trip, that'll leave you plenty of time to see and do it all while still enjoying it all.

Upvote 0

Thorpyness

I was dragged first time and fell in love...

2 tips,

1) I get the impression you've been before, so don't let any knowledge of what you like put him off trying everything he fancies, let him try all the attractions he likes the look of, whether they be stitch, sounds dangerous or Narnia walkthroughs, because if you take him only on all your favourites, you might miss the one thing he loves. For instance I love Carousel of progress, Mrs T thinks it's boring. It's worth going on a few things that you're not overly impressed with if it means you get him hooked.

2) Irrespective of the fact you're in disney, make quality of the time you spend together in the room (assuming you're not after filling the "naughty" thread). It'll help him remember the vacation as "enjoyable", and if some of that feelling gets associated with being at the mouse house, again you'll get him hooked.
I'm keeping it family friendly so I won't mention what i'm on about, but no :snore: until "afterwards".

Upvote 0

Mimi

Maybe surprise him with a nice dinner somewhere like Le Cellier or do something not-so-Disney like horseback riding.

A word of caution: don't worry too much about it. If you spend too much time trying to convert him your efforts may have the opposite effect. Don't forget to relax and have a good time yourself. I was pretty worried about my BF the first time we went together but my worries ended when I heard him screaming like a little girl on BTM. Go. Play. He'll love it.

Upvote 0

plaz10

FOOD!

Food helped turn my boyfriend into a fan of WDW. It's probably the #2 reason he goes back (behind reason #1 of how elated I get when we go!) We got a pin code for free dining and it was such a blessing. Not only was the food great but my boyfriend could not stop talking about it. He loved all the sit down dinners. And now with our trip only a month away, he is actually getting into the planning of where we are eating and which parks on which days and such. He never wanted to plan ahead before - he just let me do what I want but now I'm happy he wants a say because he is excited about going!

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

My hubby is from CA so he had never been to WDW. Well, we took our first son when he was 2, again at 3 and again at 4. I planned the first trip and he made sure that I planned the next 2.

The food is endless...amazing. There is everything for every palette. Def do at least 1 or 2 character dinings(Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace), maybe a dinner show (Poly--Spirit of Aloha is nice) and maybe a sig dining. (Narcoossee, Cali Grille) Look into the DDP and see if it works for you.

Since you have no limit on when you can go, go during a time when it is lessd crowdwd and hot. It will be much more enjoyable. Christmas is great but packed. We went to DL on Christmas Eve and barely did anything because it was so crowded. It was awesome, but busy. You can still go the first week in January and see all of the decorations and it won't be as crowded.

Places to stay--depends on your finances. If you want a deluxe, you mentioned Poly...I have never stayed there but would like to. I love how it is on the monorail line and the views are incredible. WL is another great one and is a lot less than the Poly, but still a deluxe. On the mod level, I don't think you can go wrong but I love CSR. POR is beautiful and kind of romantic, too.

Activities, there are sea raycers (ones at GF are the fastest according to my hubby and nephew). The water parks are really fun. I'm not much of a water park goer but they are cool. DQ haas great vodeo games, as well.

Have a great trip and happy planning!!:sohappy:

Good luck!!

Upvote 0

MegLovesDisney

It Can Be Done!

Hello,
I went this past week with my 32 year old boyfriend for his second time since going as a 10 year old (a lot has changed..hahah) I'm 26 and a HUGE (psycho) Disney fan. I think I made him sick talking about it before we actually went and I could tell he wasn't realllly into it and he was too "old" and "mature" and "a guy" to really like it as much as I do.
Well, let me tell you. I came home with a big Disney fan! We went the first week of May, which was already a plus since it was warm, we stayed at Coronado Springs which feels like a legit "adult" vacation spot, we also went during Cinco de Mayo which was exciting in Epcot.
My strategic attack plan for winning over a "muture, childless, guy" (hahah) was focus on the aspects of Disney that are very vacation-like (beautiful resorts, pools, great weather, good food, fun adult rides) and minimize some of the kid aspects (characters, theme rides, parades etc). We spent time at Downtown Disney enjoying the music outside and checking out the bars/restaurants..that was a big hit. We did a lot of the bigger rides at the parks and spent a whole morning at the pool. Needless to say, he had a great time (I knew he would) but definitely better than I thought he would. So it can be done, even with guys that don't know Disney movies and aren't big theme ride fans. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!:sohappy::)

Upvote 0

stratman50th

Well, I'm throwing another vote towards May. The weather is great, there's the flower and garden festival. Crowds aren't too bad either, or at least they weren't about 3 years ago. Been going in June and August (boo! hot and crowded but that's when the daughter is out of school). It's warm enough to swim in the pool, but not oppressively hot and humid in the parks.
You really didn't say what he likes to do. What kinds of things does he enjoy. I mean does he even like rides? Theming? Just partying? Golf? Come on, give us a hint ;)
What about food? What kind of food does he like? Fancy, Filling? Junk? Sweets?
I'm also throwing another vote at the Polynesian. Ohana is a must do. The Poly is on the monorail loop to MK, but if he isn't into that it's a short walk to the TTC. The rooms are a nice size and I'm a sucker for the quiet pool they have there. We've spent many an afternoon there at the tables just relaxing. If my wife and I were going without the child and friend, the Poly would always be my first choice without a thought.

Finally, I really like this suggestion, but hey, that's just me! :D

Irrespective of the fact you're in disney, make quality of the time you spend together in the room (assuming you're not after filling the "naughty" thread). It'll help him remember the vacation as "enjoyable", and if some of that feelling gets associated with being at the mouse house, again you'll get him hooked.
I'm keeping it family friendly so I won't mention what i'm on about, but no :snore: until "afterwards".
Gonna go show this to the wife now..................:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Supergirl7710

I know EXACTLY how you're feeling! I'm nineteen and my boyfriend is eighteen and we're going together in July (53 days! Wooo! XD) But he has never been!!! :O And he's definitely not as excited about it as I am. But I've been there a couple hundred thousand times (okay maybe only 28 :p) but I'm sure if you take this advice that everyone is giving you, you'll have a disney lover by the time you come home (that's what I'm hoping for!) and all of this information seems great!

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

I would consider one of the Port Orleans hotels if your planning on doing some Downtown Disney. That way you can just take the boat, and you would save a lot of cash over say the Poly. If you do want more upscale, look at one of the Boardwalk area resorts, because then you have restaurants that are there as well as Epcots.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I also vote for October because you have MNSSHP, the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot, nice weather and low to moderate crowds. If you can afford a Deluxe, go for it. We love Caribbean Beach Resort as a moderate. As for restaurants, we love Le Cellier, the Brown Derby, and on our last trip we fell in love with the Rose & Crown Pub, in part because of the great food but in part because we were able to get a reservation that was during Illuminations - what a view!

Upvote 0

AlwaysWDW

My husband and I went for our honeymoon and he was not overly enthusiastic about it because of previous trips he had taken with his parents - who are pretty much the least fun people on the planet! :brick:

However, we stayed at the Contemporary and he absolutely loved it! He liked that the rooms are really nice, but the theming is slightly less over the top than some of the others. We love Wilderness Lodge too for the atmosphere, but the rooms are not as nice (IMHO) so the Contemporary resort is definitely our favorite! (I would recommend getting a garden wing room so that you don't have to deal with the monorail traffic and noise.)

As much as I love starting my vacation in Fantasyland at MK, you might want to try starting in Tomorrowland or going to Epcot since there are more exciting rides. You also can't beat the food/drink options of the World Showcase which are always fun for both of us!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom