Nasty incident outside Club Cool at Epcot tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

It seems unlikely Disney will stop selling alcohol at Epcot because one guest got drunk and belligerent...There are always crazy people that will do bad things...There is no way to insulate the public in a theme park from one persons mental health issues. and yeah it is nuts to knee jerk that the park should stop selling alcohol because of a few isolated incidents... There are drownings that happen in the hotel pools all over the world every year, does that ,mean all the hotel pools should close? And lock the thread? Why would you need to lock the thread?
Not sure if you heard but WDW recently instituted a new pool policy, allegedly in response to a single drowning incident. The main pools will now be closed after 11 PM. Gates are being added as needed.

In its early years, the Food & Wine Festival (F&WF) was an enjoyable experience for the entire family. In recent years, F&WF has degenerated into a drunken Oktoberfest free-for-all on weekends. Increasingly, families are afraid to visit Epcot during F&WF, not something for a family destination to be proud of.

Disney management has a choice: turn a blind eye and let the frat party continue or take the steps necessary to reign in behavior.

Considering that Disney decided to turn this year's once lovely Flower & Garden Festival into another excuse for excessive drinking, it seems Disney has already indicated to us which choice it intends to make. I fear it will take a serious incident before corporate Disney does anything.

NowInc

Not sure if you heard but WDW recently instituted a new pool policy, allegedly in response to a single drowning incident. The main pools will now be closed after 11 PM. Gates are being added as needed.

In its early years, the Food & Wine Festival (F&WF) was an enjoyable experience for the entire family. In recent years, F&WF has degenerated into a drunken Oktoberfest free-for-all on weekends. Increasingly, families are afraid to visit Epcot during F&WF, not something for a family destination to be proud of.

Disney management has a choice: turn a blind eye and let the frat party continue or take the steps necessary to reign in behavior.

Considering that Disney decided to turn this year's once lovely Flower & Garden Festival into another excuse for excessive drinking, it seems Disney has already indicated to us which choice it intends to make. I fear it will take a serious incident before corporate Disney does anything.

In the case of the pools closing, there is a HUGE lawsuit involved (The company I work for is involved with the plaintiffs lawfirm..thats about as much as I can talk about what I know on this matter)...so that would be a reason for them to initiate the new policy.

Clamman73

Last week I saw lifeguards at Pop Century bowling pin pool watching the water before 7:00 am.

draybook

In the case of the pools closing, there is a HUGE lawsuit involved (The company I work for is involved with the plaintiffs lawfirm..thats about as much as I can talk about what I know on this matter)...so that would be a reason for them to initiate the new policy.

Well, I would imagine it won't take many more employees being hit before they have another lawsuit on their hands.

The Duck

Not really a fair comparison as those were free and people would go everyday with an annual pass...

So you're saying Sea World has a 2 beer limit in the park? Didn't think so.
The 2 beer limit was several years ago when Anheuser-Busch owned the park and that was only in the Hospitality House where it was free. I'm sure that you can get as wasted as you please if you went there today.

Goofyernmost

You may apologise at your convenience :)
Don't hold your breath.;) Just because you did one "as a joke", doesn't mean that I need to buy into all the rest. The one in Epcot was probably related to the alleged pipe swinging idiot, but even that hasn't been proven, but if it was that still makes three bazaar incidents. Could be true, might not. I'm still cynical.:grumpy:

However, if I'm wrong, well, it won't be the first time and my true and honest care factor concerning this particular series of events is very low on my attention scale anyway. So, write it up in your book of memories and we will just leave it at that. :cool: In order for you to have a happy life, I don't think my complete acceptance is of utmost importance.

Last edited:

71jason

Reports have been that the Epcot parking lot has been extremely crowded during F&WF (especially on weekends) while onsite resort occupancy rates have been relatively weak this fall. These trends suggest Epcot's F&WF crowds might be more local than typical.

It generally is. In fact, that's the only time of year a lot of locals will actually visit. Take people not used to being outside in the hot sun all day, and who don't drink much any more and don't know their limits, make it an unofficial "game" to binge drink, and increase crowds to an uncomfortably packed level--bound to have problems.

71jason

Near-capacity crowds (who ride nothing, only spend more money) v. no one in the park with even Soarin' having a 10-minute wait (saw it the week before F&W).

Which do you think they'll choose?

Also, I'm not sure I buy F&W was ever a "family-friendly" event. Appealing to wanna-be foodies and wine-os, Boomer then Gen X nostalgia bands, this event has always been about pulling in 30- and 40-something adults.

I actually disagree with this characterization of F&G. I thought it was well done, with drinks (and food) that matched up nicely with the event's theme. Nor did I see crowds or any noticable amount of intoxicated people. Done properly, a chance to sample beer/wine/liquor can be an integral part of what EPCOT, in particular World Showcase, is all about.

It's when you get crowds that should have been capped off 10,000 guests ago and "weekend warriors" who don't know their limits being tacitly encouraged to drink a dozen drinks that you start to see problems.

Reports have been that the Epcot parking lot has been extremely crowded during F&WF (especially on weekends) while onsite resort occupancy rates have been relatively weak this fall. These trends suggest Epcot's F&WF crowds might be more local than typical.

Sounds like the local college crowd and those who just graduated and if so, the only way Disney can tone this behavior down is to increase prices to price them out of the market. The question is, would vacationers pay the higher prices for F&W to escape the local drunks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom