"Mystic Manor" destined for Animal Kingdom?

aliceismad

Right but that's a case of another park cloning something that WDW has - not WDW cloning something that another park has.
Right, but they were developed with the intent of being a multipark investment to spread out the costs. Spiderman is another example, although obviously that particular ride won't be at WDW

Last edited:

hopemax

I was surprised to see this thread got a bump. More surprised that there is at least a smidge of real rumor chatter. Mystic Manor is my favorite of the trackless rides (haven't ridden Ratatouille yet), but what I love about Mystic Manor is the whimsy and the set pieces. And, yes, Albert. It's just charming fun, the ride system has nothing to do with that. This Disney seems to content with empty, but decorated walls and unlit corners, so I would assume MM has "too much going on in 360°" to fit American park operations budgets to be a real consideration. Unless they edit it, or give Albert a new adventure with less moving bits.

ToTBellHop

The boat rides are similar in that regard. Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Living with the Land, etc are all fundamentally the same ride tech wise. But you remember the rides for their experiences or stories instead. I haven't been on either Rat or MMRR, but wouldn't those be the same?

I look at it as the evolution of the classic Disney dark ride... Adding another 2-3 of them can only help the parks.

I don't necessarily agree and I think having another trackless ride but in a different park is fine as long as the ride experience is different. And MM doesn't really seem all that similar to the other LPS rides. I mean, it's really the theme, environment, action of the ride that makes it what it is, more than the ride system.

That being said, I'd be fine with a boat ride or omnimover or whatever being added to DAK. The park definitely needs more indoor, family friendly/all ages experiences to fill out the park. Mystic Manor is just a good example of such a ride that would work. Doing something like a POTC style boat ride themed to Jungle Book would work too. It's not like there's one option.
I think the issue for me is that boat rides or omnimovers vanish into the ride. You just focus on the ride. Trackless ride systems are so obtrusive that they distract from the actual ride, at least as executed in Florida. The reflective floor and lack of any elevation change, I think, damage the MMRR and Rat experience. You travel through cavernous rooms that are too expensive to fill so we watch movies instead. RotR is different because it uses multiple ride systems to create excitement and had an astronomical budget. In general, these trackless rides just use a ton of money to do a whole lot of nothing.

aliceismad

I think the issue for me is that boat rides or omnimovers vanish into the ride. You just focus on the ride. Trackless ride systems are so obtrusive that they distract from the actual ride, at least as executed in Florida. The reflective floor and lack of any elevation change, I think, damage the MMRR and Rat experience. You travel through cavernous rooms that are too expensive to fill so we watch movies instead. RotR is different because it uses multiple ride systems to create excitement and had an astronomical budget. In general, these trackless rides just use a ton of money to do a whole lot of nothing.
That's a really interesting perspective. Do you think the BATB ride or MM suffers from the same issue?

ToTBellHop

That's a really interesting perspective. Do you think the BATB ride or MM suffers from the same issue?
BatB does. Mystic Manor seems to do better but I still prefer Haunted Mansion or Phantom Manor. Those rides provide such an intimate experience. It’s you and the person next to you touring a house. Imagineers of old had a magical way of getting 2500 people on a ride in an hour without the ride feeling crowded. On trackless rides, I am continually reminded “this is a ride and those other four cars are also on a ride.” It’s like Disney needs me to know “this is an expensive ride system. Look at it!” And it’s appalling that it feels so crowded yet hourly capacity is lower!

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
BatB does. Mystic Manor seems to do better but I still prefer Haunted Mansion or Phantom Manor. Those rides provide such an intimate experience. It’s you and the person next to you touring a house.
Mystic gets a pass because it doesn't feel like a warehouse. Rat does a fair job of addressing that too being mostly in the dark and directing our focus on the screens. On the flipside of that argument it's not just LPS that struggle to capture the intimate personable experience. Magic Kingdom's Little Mermaid ride (the name escapes me) being equally spaceous and empty also lacks any sense of an intimate experience. It's ride type was the gold standard omnimover. So it's not like the issue is locked to LPSssss. Frankily, I think MMRR would have been better had Disney just utilized a wild mouse system or bus bar type... But I'm getting off topic.

Mystic Manor would be a welcomed addition to DAK because it'd be the only LPS. I still prefer the old school dark rides over this newish tech but If Mystic is* ever added to DAK, I would hope it'd be retooled to better fit the park's animal-centric narrative. Just no Zootopia plz.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I was surprised to see this thread got a bump. More surprised that there is at least a smidge of real rumor chatter. Mystic Manor is my favorite of the trackless rides (haven't ridden Ratatouille yet)

Of the 4 trackless Disney rides I've been on (RotR, MM, Rat, Hunny Hunt) I'd put MM as #1.

If it ever came to WDW, it would automatically be among the top rides at the resort.

ToTBellHop

Mystic gets a pass because it doesn't feel like a warehouse. Rat does a fair job of addressing that too being mostly in the dark and directing our focus on the screens. On the flipside of that argument it's not just LPS that struggle to capture the intimate personable experience. Magic Kingdom's Little Mermaid ride (the name escapes me) is equally spaceous and empty and it's ride type was the gold standard omnimover. IMHO, MMRR would have been better had Imagineering just utilized a wild mouse system or bus bar dark ride...
But I'm getting off topic.

Mystic Manor would be a welcomed addition to DAK because it'd be the only LPS. The ride type actually works in this scenario! I still prefer the old school dark rides over this newish tech but If Mystic is* ever added to Animal Kingdom, I would hope it'd be retooled to better fit the park's animal-centric narrative. Just no Zootopia plz.
I just want a Lion King dark ride. If busbar saves money to pay for AAs, that’s fine by me. And to be clear, I actually really like MMRR. Maybe three new trackless rides within less than 2 years is too much for me. Of course, if they started building a new one next year, it wouldn’t open until 2025. Maybe it wouldn’t feel like overkill by then.

Right now, I want a new trick from Disney. Happy we are getting 2 coasters next year.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
I just want a Lion King dark ride. If busbar saves money to pay for AAs, that’s fine by me. And to be clear, I actually really like MMRR. Maybe three new trackless rides within less than 2 years is too much for me. Of course, if they started building a new one next year, it wouldn’t open until 2025. Maybe it wouldn’t feel like overkill by then.

Right now, I want a new trick from Disney. Happy we are getting 2 coasters next year.

If LPS becomes the new standard we should all be worried. We're not there yet thankfully. I miss the days of old when Imagineering tried new things. Sure 20K subs was craptacular but the idea was clever. Where's clever Disney?

CJR

I would personally love it if MM opened in DAK.

Two key reasons: 1. It's indoors- which DAK could use more indoor attractions. 2. No height requirement, which never hurts - especially since the only notable additions (rides) to DAK without a height requirement are NRJ and Triceratop Spin.

We're hoping to have a baby soon, so I might just be being selfish.

Brer Panther

I'm iffy on adding more trackless rides because a lot of more recent trackless dark rides, Disney or otherwise, fall into the same boat: vehicle stops in front of a screen for a few minutes, then moves on to another screen, for five minutes. Vehicles just STOPPING. Even Rise of the Resistance does this at one point.

JoeCamel

It honestly doesn’t matter what’s next. Anything new will open in 2025 at the earliest. I hope I’m wrong but even if they announce this year and break ground by January, it takes 3 years for them to build stuff.
See Chronicles of Narnia/Voyage of Captain Jack Sparrow
20 mins they are up and running...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you want a unique ride system... what's left?

Two systems that WDW does not have are a ferris wheel and a kuka arm ride.

For repetitive systems:
  • WDW has 5 omnimovers (Buzz, HM, Mermaid, SSE, Nemo).
  • Will soon have 9 coasters (Cosmic, TRON, Goofy, Space, 7D, BTM, SDD, EE, RnRC), and if PW stuck around, it would have been 10 coasters.
  • Has 7 slow moving boat rides (OK, two have a minor dip -- IaSW, Gran Fiesta, LwtL, NRJ, PotC, FEA, JC).
  • Has 7 spinners: Teacups, Carousel, Dumbo, Astro, Carpets, Alien SS, Triceratops
  • As far as SCREENZ! go, only has 4 simulators: Soarin', ST, MF:SR, FoP.
  • And just 3 LPS: RotR, MMRR, Rat.
So... I wouldn't say LPSs are being overused, even if they add one more in a park that has none.

I would also note that it seems WDW can never get enough "family coasters," as they are constantly the most popular rides.

Last edited:

doctornick

If you want a unique ride system... what's left?

They could have a ride system kinda like Spider-Man/Transformers. I guess the Dinosaur system is similar but Uni does more with there’s including integration of motion with the scenes better.

I wouldn’t mind seeing them duplicate the Test Track ride system by bringing in JTTCOTE to WDW.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

What happened to all the folks that are usually out of joint because someone opened a 12 year old thread? I'm just asking, I don't and never have had have a problem with it, but the silence is deafening.🙂 ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom