"Mystic Manor" destined for Animal Kingdom?

Alex Trevelyan

Imagineering has hundreds of ideas

for theme park attractions. Many of them were far along in the development process before someone pulled the plug on them, or decided to shelve them temporarily. Of all the attractions they've designed already for AK, why in the world would WDI duplicate Haunted Mansion at AK? It makes zero sense. Mystic Manor is simply the Chinese version of Haunted Mansion. It is a dark ride that utilizes new technology coupled with a unique story appropriate for the Chinese culture. Mystic Manor is a new facade on a classic superstructure.

It was also a necessary and welcome departure from what has been done before with the Haunted Mansion. Keep in mind that the classic Haunted Mansion's at DL, MK, DL-Paris represent archetype for Americans and Europeans. Anyone familiar with ghost stories or mysteries of the American and European traditions--literary, cinematic, or folkloric--know that the Haunted Mansions are built around the Eurocentric conceptions with regional distinctions for variety. It's not a coincidence that Phantom Manor at DL-Paris was built in the architectual style of Second Empire, which was French by origin, but popped up frequently in the Old West because it was new and popular during the period of westward expansion. Ditto with neo-classical in the South, or Dutch Revival in New York State. To replicate one of those styles, with one of those stories, would have no relevance to the Chinese. Thus the need for a new path. Their haunted houses are not our haunted houses.

I'm curious as to the style of the building. From the artwork it apears to be Queen Anne, a Victorian style very popular in the western U.S. during the post Civil War era, but also well-known to Hong Kong Chinese who were under colonial rule by the British at the time. The building also seems to have some exotic flourishes, like an Arabian style roof on one of the turrets.

EPCOT Explorer

No, this isn't coming to DAK.

This is a new generation mansion, even if it is very different than all that have come before.

I get where the speculation comes from with Joe working on it and what may seem like 'obvious' ties ... but when DAK gets something down the line, it ain't gonna be this.

It would be like adding the Pirates Mountain concept to Studios under the guise of 'this is totally different than PoC in ride system and storyline' ... sure, you could do it ... but you wouldn't. And Disney won't either.

Right...Possible, but at the same time, not possible.:lol:

hemloc

for theme park attractions. Many of them were far along in the development process before someone pulled the plug on them, or decided to shelve them temporarily. Of all the attractions they've designed already for AK, why in the world would WDI duplicate Haunted Mansion at AK? It makes zero sense. Mystic Manor is simply the Chinese version of Haunted Mansion. It is a dark ride that utilizes new technology coupled with a unique story appropriate for the Chinese culture. Mystic Manor is a new facade on a classic superstructure.

It was also a necessary and welcome departure from what has been done before with the Haunted Mansion. Keep in mind that the classic Haunted Mansion's at DL, MK, DL-Paris represent archetype for Americans and Europeans. Anyone familiar with ghost stories or mysteries of the American and European traditions--literary, cinematic, or folkloric--know that the Haunted Mansions are built around the Eurocentric conceptions with regional distinctions for variety. It's not a coincidence that Phantom Manor at DL-Paris was built in the architectual style of Second Empire, which was French by origin, but popped up frequently in the Old West because it was new and popular during the period of westward expansion. Ditto with neo-classical in the South, or Dutch Revival in New York State. To replicate one of those styles, with one of those stories, would have no relevance to the Chinese. Thus the need for a new path. Their haunted houses are not our haunted houses.

SECONDED!! I'm glad someone else gets it.

All it simply takes is to watch Asian horror films, and you can clearly see a distinct difference in ghost stories, in particular. Which is why movies like The Ring, or The Grudge were god-awful, when compared to their Original Japanese versions(Ringu, and Ju-On, respectively!). And of course, there are big differences between Japanese, Chinese and Korean mythology and ghost stories. I must admit, I have become something of a foreign horror film snob, since getting hooked on them(And ironically, I HATED subtitles before, but the movies are sooooo much better and more psychologically disturbing). But yeah, that Mystic Manor would NEVER work here, unless you were from the far east or used to being immersed in that culture.

mattpeto

This feels like a bump and at least it's discussion worthy. Putting Mystic Manor in Animal Kingdom?

Just mentioned in their weekly podcast, @lentesta and Jim Hill talked about how Animal Kingdom is presumably next after the big ones (Tron, GotG). I like this idea more than Zootopia for sure....

Apparently the monkey would move some merchandise.

doctornick

This feels like a bump and at least it's discussion worthy. Putting Mystic Manor in Animal Kingdom?

Just mentioned in their weekly podcast, @lentesta and Jim Hill talked about how Animal Kingdom is presumably next after the big ones (Tron, GotG). I like this idea more than Zootopia for sure....

Apparently the monkey would move some merchandise.
I’ve long thought that Mystic Manor would be a great and reasonable addition to DAK. It’s definitely the type of ride needed - indoors, low thrill, all ages - and the use of the monkey and the spirit of exploration makes it a weak but acceptable fit for DAK. Put an appropriate facade and add it to Africa or Asia.

Disstevefan1

Probably like many of you, I assumed HKDL's upcoming "Mystic Manor" was going to basically be an Adventureland-themed Haunted Mansion.

But looking at this new artwork, it appears the attraction is not a bit the same:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/07/new-hong-kong-disneyland-artwork.html

Clearly, the attraction's storyline strongly involves that monkey. More than I ever imagined.

Is it possible this attraction was designed with an Animal Kingdom clone in mind?

Follow me here. DP&R is clearly in a trend of building attractions that can be duplicated. Although the Hong Kong government is putting up most of the funding for this expansion, I cannot imagine they have the same clout as OLC to demand unique attractions (but I would guess Disney is intentionally making HKDL different so as to not compete with Shanghai Disneyland).

Assuming Disney poured all the R&D money into "Mystic Manor" with the intent of cloning it, where ELSE could it be put other than AK?

Shanghai is out. So are any of the "Disneyland"-type parks, I'm guessing, because it seems just similar enough to the Haunted Mansion. Likewise, it seems vaguely similar to the storyline behind TDS's Tower of Terror, so I'm guessing that park is not a contender either. I can't imagine it fitting in at DCA. Maybe at DSP, but that's a stretch.

Meanwhile, we've heard the rumors of "Mysterious Island" at AK for some time. I can certainly see this attraction, with it's Victorian jungle theme, creating a nice segue between something like 20,000 Leagues and the rest of AK. I would certainly prefer this to JTTCOTE, which would not only be another mountain thrill ride for AK, but would not be as accessible to as wide an audience as MM, and presumably have less capacity. Plus AK needs a dark ride.

Now throw in those rumors that the now-dead Shangra-La/Night Kingdom was planned to have an Adventurer's Club restaurant. Wouldn't that fit well here, too?

I was always hoping that those trackless ride vehicles would somehow make their way into the re-do of Journey into Imagination. But I'd accept this!

So ??????

This would be great. Put it where Dino Rama was.

Bocabear

I feel like Adventurland would have been better for that. Journey of Water doesn't have much to do with Animals.
not animals but the natural world...and the additional area could have also been an Island of the Pacific area with animals from that region. Would have been a lovely counterpoint to Everest and the Himalayan area... with Nemo Musical in between...

EeyoreFan#24

What is Disney’s appetite for adding more live animal lands to the park? I know they have changed animals on the safari, but that uses existing infrastructure I would assume.

I’m curious about ground up builds of new lands with live animals and the support infrastructure/staff.

I would think adding rides would be the preferred way to move the park forward since they would appear to be less involved. I think mystic manor could have some possibilities in AK.

rio

Coasters are a bit different. Compare RnRC to BTM. I already feel Rat and MMRR are a bit repetitious. Only so many tricks on this ride system…

I also think the ride system is overrated.
The boat rides are similar in that regard. Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Living with the Land, etc are all fundamentally the same ride tech wise. But you remember the rides for their experiences or stories instead. I haven't been on either Rat or MMRR, but wouldn't those be the same?

doctornick

Coasters are a bit different. Compare RnRC to BTM. I already feel Rat and MMRR are a bit repetitious. Only so many tricks on this ride system…

I also think the ride system is overrated.

I don't necessarily agree and I think having another trackless ride but in a different park is fine as long as the ride experience is different. And MM doesn't really seem all that similar to the other LPS rides. I mean, it's really the theme, environment, action of the ride that makes it what it is, more than the ride system.

That being said, I'd be fine with a boat ride or omnimover or whatever being added to DAK. The park definitely needs more indoor, family friendly/all ages experiences to fill out the park. Mystic Manor is just a good example of such a ride that would work. Doing something like a POTC style boat ride themed to Jungle Book would work too. It's not like there's one option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom